What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How often does your league point champion win your league? (1 Viewer)

I am running away with the points total by 275 points and had the best record in the leage beating the closest second by 3 games. I am heading into tonight down by 41 points with ganther and tynes still to play.

My team is basically made of studs that I rode all year. Very rarely neeeding to make changes for matchups or injuries I made it through the whole season nearly intact.

Now I will lose to team 'waiver wire'. A guy whose entire team except for Peyton manning, is made up of waiver moves and matchup plays. This ### even sat Jerome Harrison and Steve Smith(Car) and is still beating me. My team scored the 2nd highest total of the league last week during my bye week when it didn't matter.

The silver lining is that I will probably win best points total and best weekly score along with first round bye money. I will double my entry fee so no need to be greedy...BUT I am losing to the commish who wins this same way every year.

28.5% of the time. 2 out of the last 7 years, not counting this year. This year the scoring champ is still playing and has a chance to win the title.An interesting stat for our league is that the #1 seed has never won the title in 7 years. The scoring champ has never been the #1 seed until this year. The #1 seed has only made it to the title game 2 times in 7 years, losing both times.
Same here on the #1 seed. It's like a jinx. 1995, 1999, 2008 the #1 seed won it. 3 of 18 years. btw, Dynasty?
5-player Keeper. Same teams in the playoffs nearly every year.

Every year. Total points league. No luck involved and the best team wins.
That would bore me to tears. I love the H2H element against your league rivals.And once the teams know they have no shot at the points title, why bother managing your team any longer?
The best system is Victory Points - HTH with total points scored also earning points.

I also think league's should award a higher amount of the $$$ to the top teams during the season rather just to the playoff winner. Weeks 1-13 > weeks 15 & 16 IMO
Can someone elaborate on this setup? I'm not familiar.
Each week you play head-to-head like normal leagues. A win awards your team with 2 League Points, A Tie 1 point, and a loss no points. Each week, the teams are ordered by total fantasy points scored during that week. League points are also awarded for having high scores.

12-team league Victory Point assignment :

High Score - 2 League Points

2nd - 2 League Points

3rd - 2 League Points

4th - 2 League Points

5th - 1 League Point

6th - 1 League Point

7th - 1 League Point

8th - 1 League Point

9th - 0 League Points

10th - 0 League Points

11th - 0 League Points

12th - 0 League Points

Each week you can score between 0-4 points depending on total points and HTH match.

You can also take it a step further and play doubleheaders to help reward the teams that score the most total points each week. Also you award 4 points to the top 4 scoring teams and 2 points to 5-8 teams in scoring, still zero extra points for the bottom 4 scoring teams.

Just as an aside, this is why many leagues (including ours) do give a cash prize for top points. (In ours it's 10% - which is usually about equal to the annual fee - so you play for free the next year).
We do the same. $100 entry, $2 transactions, 10 teams. Points champ (for all 17 wks) gets $100. There is also a $5/$10 prize for the weekly high scorer & $25 for the season long single game high score. The rest gets pd out in the playoffs, with the Super Bowl winner usually getting about $250.

Is a play-all every week essentially the same as a total points league or are there some differences that I'm not thinking of?

In my league, in the 5th year that we have been recording all the results/stats. The high point scorer has won it twice. This year the high point scorer did not make the playoffs (ended up 7-7!). Although the team with the best record has won it 3 times so far and the team with the best record this year (my team) is in the championship game next week (although I ended up 4th in points scored).

I guess I'm OK with that. As in real NFL its not necessarily the team with the best players that wins the superbowl.

I am running away with the points total by 275 points and had the best record in the leage beating the closest second by 3 games. I am heading into tonight down by 41 points with ganther and tynes still to play. My team is basically made of studs that I rode all year. Very rarely neeeding to make changes for matchups or injuries I made it through the whole season nearly intact.Now I will lose to team 'waiver wire'. A guy whose entire team except for Peyton manning, is made up of waiver moves and matchup plays. This ### even sat Jerome Harrison and Steve Smith(Car) and is still beating me. My team scored the 2nd highest total of the league last week during my bye week when it didn't matter.The silver lining is that I will probably win best points total and best weekly score along with first round bye money. I will double my entry fee so no need to be greedy...BUT I am losing to the commish who wins this same way every year.
I'm in a league like that and while I was near tops in points I was also team WW going to guys like Charles and MSW down the stretch. The trick is you have to rotate out players to hit before they "break out" and try to guess right. I almost got killed a few weeks ago by guessing Snelling over Forsett only to watch Turner ruin Snelling's value and Forsett to have that one big game against me by the owner who got him after I could have taken him. The kicker is week 16 now Snelling may look like a stud play.

Is a play-all every week essentially the same as a total points league or are there some differences that I'm not thinking of?
In an all-play league, your score each week is compared to every other team's score. So in a 12-team league, your record for the week could range from 11-0 to 0-11. The standings should pretty closely approximate teams' total scoring performances, more so than a traditional head to head format.

Not that often, which is just fine. A GM that excels at midseason trades and / or waiver wire pickups instead of the draft probably gets penalized by total points leagues, which arguably is a bit unfair.

For example if you had a hole at RB2 in your lineup for half the year, but you were skilled enough to pull off a cunning trade to land a nice RB in week 10, you've got no shot at total points. But a trade like that can win a H2H league.

In the nine years of my money league the total points champ won the title five times. It could happen again this year, too, as the top overall point scorer is in the finals against me (and I'm second in points). First time the top two scoring teams are in the finals.

Not that often, which is just fine. A GM that excels at midseason trades and / or waiver wire pickups instead of the draft probably gets penalized by total points leagues, which arguably is a bit unfair.For example if you had a hole at RB2 in your lineup for half the year, but you were skilled enough to pull off a cunning trade to land a nice RB in week 10, you've got no shot at total points. But a trade like that can win a H2H league.
yeah, I was tempted to make some trades for better matchups in the playoff weeks but was afraid to let one of my studs go. This is my problem every year. I start strong and then by the end of the season, my team is being outscored by people that weren't even drafted or I just fall victim to bad matchups. Oh well, another year gone, at least I won some money.

I'm interested in these results because I've never looked that up before.

YEAR: Champs Scoring Rank

2000: 2nd, BNNY

2001: 6th, FSQD

2002: 5th, L8HS

2003: 3rd, CFLO

2004: 1st, CFLO

2005: 10th, FRNZ (ouch)

2006: 5th, ROCK

2007: 1st, CFLO

2008: 5th, CFLO

2009: TBD, My team 1st vs. 3rd)

So 1st place has only won twice in 9 seasons (so far) for a .222 Winning %.

Yikes.

Total Wins by Scoring Rank:

1st, 2

2nd, 1

3rd, 1

4th, 0

5th, 3

6th, 1

7th, 0

8th, 0

9th, 0

10th, 1

11th, 0

12th, 0

League points champion and best all around team in my league went down in the first round of the playoffs this year in a major upset..

His starting roster:

Drew Brees

Wes Welker

Calvin Johnson

Hines Ward

Adrian Peterson

Cedric Benson

Kellen Winslow

Steven Jackson

David Akers

Arizona

Semi keeper league, btw.

Looking over everyone's stats it seems about right. A lot of people hover around 25% and if those leagues have 4 playoff contenders then it is all luck. I suppose the number is a bit higher since PL should have some edge but the edge isn't that significant from week to week. Probably if someone aggregated all the stats I'm guessing the edge could be anywhere from 5%-10% so 30-35%. Any more in the playoffs and it gets even worse. I hate being PL and H2H record leader and getting nothing because I lose to a guy with a 6-7 record (5th place) in a 10 man league. So messed up. Don't understand how you can have more than half of the players going into playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the all time points leader this season and if I win this week I'll be the first since the league began, 8 seasons ago.

This year we have the #2 versus #5 in the championship...but scoring wise it is #1 versus #2.

This is the first time I can ever remember the first and second highest scoring teams making the finals in the 17 year history of this league. It seems every year there is an upset in Round 1 or Round 2 of the playoffs that leads to a surprise champion.

This year, for once, the two best teams made it and it is pretty much a coin flip.

I didn't read this thread, but wanted to respond to the thread title. Our season long point leader didn't even make the playoffs this year, I think it's the first time it's ever happened.

It looks like it happens once every three seasons in my league.

Only happend 2 out of 9 times in the keeper/dynasty leagues I have played in, none since 2006. In fact last year the highest scoring team in one of my leagues didn't make the playoffs, I almost repeated the feat this year but scraped through with a 7-7 record & am now in the Superbowl looking to make of 3 out of 10. I think sometimes if things go too well too early owners tend to go a bit conservative & miss out on some of the hot free agents (whether because of an "ain't broke don't fix it" mentality or, in shallow leagues, finding it hard to find a suitable player to drop) whereas the teams fighting for survival take more risks whether through the waiver wire or all or nothing trades & find themselves in a very strong position at the end of the season.

never - 13 year h2h, 1st 7 years redraft - now keeper (0-9, most keep 2-5).i've been high points last 3 years - 3 years ago (up 200 points) didn't even make the playoffs. every week it seems i got beat by team having a career day (and their only one of the season).last year i made the playoffs and got bounced by a dwill garbage time td.this year i made it to the second round and warner/lbj/r rice/meachem/marshall/s rice all came up small (or in the case of s rice, seem to be)... sigh... even if i 'd started young and mendenhall i would have lost...
if only there was a shirt you could point to

Just looked it up for my biggest league, where we have 12 teams, 3 divisions, 6 teams make the playoffs, with the 6th being the team with the most points that doesn't qualify on record (so, the points champ is guaranteed, and usually makes sure that the top 4 all get in, or at least 3 of the top 4)

Plus, the top team gets at least their money back just for getting the points title, and may get more if they won their division, any weeks, etc.

... since 2005:

Year - Points team finish - Winning team's point position

2008 - Champion - 1st

2007 - Runner Up - 12th!

2006 - Runner Up - 3rd

2005 - Lost in Qtrs - 5th

So, they've gotten to the finals 3 out of 4 years, and one once. Not bad.

To the point above about the WW, the guys that tend to win the playoff are the guys that have studs emerge during the year... there's a reason this place is called the Shark Pool!

Not that often, which is just fine. A GM that excels at midseason trades and / or waiver wire pickups instead of the draft probably gets penalized by total points leagues, which arguably is a bit unfair.For example if you had a hole at RB2 in your lineup for half the year, but you were skilled enough to pull off a cunning trade to land a nice RB in week 10, you've got no shot at total points. But a trade like that can win a H2H league.
I think a total points champion needs to have a successful draft and work the waiver wire well to succeed. If you have a hole at RB2 for half the year, you had a poor draft, didn't work the waiver wire or make trades, or had incredibly bad luck. I think that should factor in to who the best team is.But you're right. A good trade can win you a h2h league.

In 15 years in our local live-draft 12 team league, our #1 seed has never won the championship. I won last year at #2 and the year before that at #5.

How often does the NFL leading point team win the Super Bowl?
Apples to Oldsmobiles.And I believe it has happened at least few times (Rams, Skins and Niners IIRC).These results further demonstrate the flaws in H2H format leagues.

One of the players in my league just came to me today and wants to play in a head to head league rather than a total points league. He basically knows that he is outmatched by most owners and wants to have more fun by playing h2h. I don't know what were going to do because it's hard to get owners who consistently follow their team regardless of how it is performing. I guess I will look into some of the other formats but I don't think a majority of the owners will want to play h2h due to the amount of luck involved in the playoffs.

I guess h2h is more like the nfl in that the best team doesn't always win the superbowl. The best team could have one bad game in the playoffs or superbowl and be out of it. The 2007 Patriots were incredible but one lackluster performance (and an incredible catch from Tyree) and they don't win it.

I think a total points champion needs to have a successful draft and work the waiver wire well to succeed. If you have a hole at RB2 for half the year, you had a poor draft, didn't work the waiver wire or make trades, or had incredibly bad luck. I think that should factor in to who the best team is.But you're right. A good trade can win you a h2h league.
Yeah, that's an interesting thought. Are these teams with the most points always stacked? We assume that the team with most points is a stacked team but mine sure wasn't. I had a bad draft, there was very little on waivers, lost RB123, no trades, but I think I got lucky by playing the matchups and picking up the one week wonders. Not to say that my whole league sucked, there were a lot of people with better teams than me that just didn't have as many points. Points could be overrated... or maybe studs are overrated, i don't know.

Yeah, that's an interesting thought. Are these teams with the most points always stacked? We assume that the team with most points is a stacked team but mine sure wasn't. I had a bad draft, there was very little on waivers, lost RB123, no trades, but I think I got lucky by playing the matchups and picking up the one week wonders. Not to say that my whole league sucked, there were a lot of people with better teams than me that just didn't have as many points. Points could be overrated... or maybe studs are overrated, i don't know.
All-play format is the happy medium between the two.

On a tangent...

How often does the team with fewest points against (PA) lead the standings?

The team with the most points isn't always the best team. Winning a couple games with 130 or so points when 100 would have worked might get you the points title. But the team who always scores 100 will probably do better in the playoffs most years. But of course sample size is so small for head to head leagues even over a number of years that luck is still an important factor.

On a tangent...How often does the team with fewest points against (PA) lead the standings?
Never.
Sure you read that right?
I looked into this a couple years ago when my league was still H2H and I found there was a much stronger correlation between making the playoffs with the fewest points against than the most points scored. It's the primary reason we switched to All-play format.

to the original question, my leagues are 3 of 8 with the scoring leader winning the title.

on the sub topic, it seems every season, some team wins 2 or 3 games with a bottom 3 weekly score. this season, 1 of our playoff teams was 2nd lowest in total points but still ended up with a 8-6 record because only 4 teams all season scored over league average the week they played this team including some that scored their lowest of the season. Some teams just get the luck of the draw.

I tried to create an all play league a few seasons ago, but everyone loves the h2h format even with its flaws. i've always thought that h2h is favored because luck is just as important skill and most owners really arent very good.

this year will be the first if I win this week.

one year I was the highest scorer and missed the playoffs.

that was 6 years ago and I am still pissed about it.

2 out of 9 years in my keeper league.

In 9 seasons I've been the scoring champ 5 times, with 1 title to show for it. This season was no different.

Finish in 1st place, lead league in scoring, underperform in week 15 while my opponent has a lucky week, watch everything go back to normal in week 16 ( meaning the guy who beat me in week 15 now gets demolished in the Super Bowl, and I am the highest scorer of the week for no reason since Ive been eliminated).

For example: in week 15 against me ,Peyton Manning and the Giants D combined for 44 points....in week 16 (when it's NOT against me) they combine for zero.

Yay, fantasy football!

Apples to Oldsmobiles.And I believe it has happened at least few times (Rams, Skins and Niners IIRC).These results further demonstrate the flaws in H2H format leagues.
What? How are the situations any different? Head-to-head is the only way to play the game if emulating the NFL experience is what is sought. If picking a bunch of guys and hoping they score the most during the year is what is sought, well, have fun with the golf game while watching the NFL.

What? How are the situations any different? Head-to-head is the only way to play the game if emulating the NFL experience is what is sought. If picking a bunch of guys and hoping they score the most during the year is what is sought, well, have fun with the golf game while watching the NFL.
We are all just picking a bunch of players and hoping they score the most during the season. In the NFL each team has an opportunity to prevent their opponent from scoring. In fantasy football you don't have that opportunity so you put your fate in the hands of the scheduling gods.Having the fewest points scored against your fantasy team on the season is every bit as much a factor for a fantasy team making the playoffs as scoring the most points. The difference is that fantasy owners at least have a little control over how many points their team scores and absolutely none over how many points are scored against them.

How often does your league point champion win your league?80% of the time?50% of the time????
almost NEVER.and that's running since 1989...in fact, the past 4 seasons, the highest total pts scorer of the year has failed to make postseason every single time, and they've failed to win just 3 games.scoring 128 pts is great, but if you're playing against the weekly high scorer, week after week,it takes a toll.

Users who are viewing this thread