What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to equate a IDP players value from dynasty rookie draft (1 Viewer)

Ashem

Footballguy
I recently joined an IDP league for the first time and I'm looking for advice on how to value defensive players with regard to rookie picks.

It's a 12 team league where we start at least 2 DL, 2 DB's, and 2 LB's. DL is Big play scoring. We also start 8 offensive players with 35+ man rosters and have a 6 round rookie draft.

I looked through some of Jean's threads ranking players to get an idea of player tiers.

Any thoughts on what an elite player is worth? Or the elite with upside, etc? Thanks.

I like to do three things when joining a league.

[*]Graph the relative value for the top x positions for the last year and compare. If there have been scoring changes you might want to look at a couple of years. This is how they should be valued – LB1 compares between a RB1 and a WR1 or DE1 as much as a RB1. Not always how they are perceived.

[*]Check back on prior drafts and see where the first IDP is taken and what position. You can chart. Or you can get from MFL but scoring may be all over the place.

[*]Take a look at past trades over the last couple of years. The trick is to try to recall what the player’s value was at that moment in time. If it doesn’t make since, I ask league mates what they were looking to achieve with the trade – upgrade this had depth some place else etc. They often will give you how they thought about it and sometimes a look into their evaluation process.

Don’t be afraid to take players YOU like and when you think they should go – strength of conviction. At the end of the week/year evaluated yourself don’t beat yourself up but learn from the process and get better.

I always start out by trying to find about 10 start-up drafts that have similar scoring to my league. Take the results from the drafts and put them on a spreadsheet to give an approximate average draft value for the top 500 or so players. From there, I adjust the individual players up and down according to my preference, or information that trickles in over time. I like to keep comments or blurbs that I think are interesting from camp reports next to the player rankings. These rankings can then be put into the draft programs, like draft dominator or the MFL draft list. I found this helps not only with the draft, but also evaluating trades and the waiver wire. I play in several deep leagues with 53 man rosters and it's sometimes hard to keep up with the lower ranked players.

Users who are viewing this thread