What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to Play Werewolf (1 Viewer)

Corporation

Angry Bovine
I read the TANAC show thread and just cracked up. I've read online how to play Mafia, but it doesn't seem to matchup with what you guys are doing here.

If there is a good thread that already explains this, can someone provide a link? If not, can someone go over the rules and roles. Nothing on line seems to refer to a GGRP or BGRP. I imagine that GG and BG are good and bad guys, and RP is something like a role player. Not sure if non role players have additional powers.

I'd also like to shadow someone in an active game where I know what role they are playing and can watch strategy unfold. If I had some kind of base knowledge you could probably add another :mellow: :lmao: to the mix.

Newb shtick doesn't work here.

Vote Corporation
Which leads to a question. What would prevent Mr. P from voting for me every game just because he doesn't like me. Seems like personality would overrule strategy sometimes.
It can...if you're enough of a jerk to anger everyone playing...but personal grudges usually get ignored by the masses. Remember, that one vote doesn't matter...you have to be lynched by a majority.

I wrote this for the green room last game -- might help you.

How Werewolf WorksThis post is unnecessary for most of you, but if there are any of you confused about the logistics of a normal game, it's important for you to understand them so you can play this game well.If this were really a werewolf game called "Robot War," here is how it would be played:1. I would send each of you a PM describing your role in the game. There are several different types of roles – A Bad Guy Role Player (“BGRP”) -- If you got this role, you would be on the bad guy team and would conspire with other bad guys on a different board that the good guys could not access. You would be given the name of a bad robot from popular culture (e.g. “Terminator T-1000”). You would also probably have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.B. Good Guy Role Player (“GGRP”) – If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would be given the name of a good robot from popular culture (e.g. “Rosie from the Jetsons”). You would also have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.C. Plain Jane Robot (“PJR”) -- If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would not have any special powers, nor would you be given a special name.D. Independent Role (“Indy”) – If you got this role, you would be aligned neither with the village nor the bad guys. You would be given the name of a robot from popular culture, possibly one that is ambiguous as to whether it is good or bad (e.g. “Terminator Model 101”). You would also have special powers. The mod would give you information about how you can “win” the game.2. Game Play – A. The game starts on Day 1. The village has to lynch somebody that they believe to be a BG. The first day is usually pretty silly because the village has little to no information to base its votes on. When a player is a few votes away from being lynched, he is typically asked to “make a claim” or he will be killed. This means that the person is being asked to identify what his role is. Normally, GGRPs or PJRs will be honest about what their role is and what their powers are, because they are trying to help the village. By contrast, BGRPs and Indys will lie about their role to avoid being killed. The village decides whether the claim is credible, and either goes ahead with the lynch or moves on to lynch someone else. After a lynch is made, I will do a writeup revealing the actual role of the dead person. We then move to the Night Phase.B. The Night phase is all done by PM. The BGs privately instruct me who to kill, and I do a writeup revealing who is dead and what their role was. Some of the people with special powers would also be expected to send me instructions during the night phase about how they wish to use their powers. In this case, TANAC has been given the role of a “night vigilante” or “night vig,” which means he will send me a name to kill each night. I will also do a writeup revealing the person TANAC killed and what that person’s role is.C. The game continues through day and night phases until one of two things happens – 1) There are no bad guys or indies left, which means the village wins; or 2) There are so many bad guys left that it would be impossible for the good guys to beat them, which means the bad guys win.3. Special PowersAs noted above, the GGRPs, BGRPS and Indies usually have special powers that the ordinary PJRs do not have. The types of powers are limited only by the imagination of the mod who designs the game, so it is not unheard of for players to have unusual and unfamiliar powers. If you make a claim in this game, feel free to be as creative as you wish. I have chosen the subject “Robot War” specifically because there are a lot of possible claims that can be made – there are lots of robots in popular culture and they do a lot of different things. With that said, however, there are certain roles that are very common and appear in virtually every game:A. The vigilante (“vig”), usually a GGRP – You have the power to kill other players under circumstances dictated by the modB. The seer, usually a GGRP – You have the ability to see hidden things about other players. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and he would respond whether that person was good or badC. The angel, usually a GGRP – You have the ability to protect people. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not be killed.D. Masons, usually GGRPs – These are a group of good guys that are able to communicate with one another on a separate board. This allows them to confirm that each other is in fact good.E. The Scholar, usually a GGRP – You can find out information from the mod about what roles are in the game. For example, the mod asks you to pick a number between 1 and 12, which represent the names of the various roled robots in the game. The robot that corresponds to whichever number you pick would be identified in the game writeup. F. Blocker, usually a BGRP – You have the ability to prevent someone from using their power. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not use his power that dayG. Manipulator, usually a BGRP – You have the ability to manipulate how someone uses their power. For example, you could alter what the seer sees or make the vig kill a different person than he intended. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person’s power would be manipulated.4. Strange Game MechanicsIt is not at all unusual for there to be some strange game mechanics that the players are not aware of when the game starts. For example: a) the bad guys may have the power to manipulate the writeups to give false information; b) The bad guys may be able to recruit good guys or indies onto their team; c) there may be items that are passed around amongst the players that allow them to have special powers while in their possession. Because game mechanics can be changed for each game, sometimes the unexplainable happens, and you will need to figure out what is going on.

Methinks WW players would spend their life playing WoW if they could only find an "o".

fatguyinalittlecoat said:

How Werewolf WorksThis post is unnecessary for most of you, but if there are any of you confused about the logistics of a normal game, it's important for you to understand them so you can play this game well.If this were really a werewolf game called "Robot War," here is how it would be played:1. I would send each of you a PM describing your role in the game. There are several different types of roles – A Bad Guy Role Player (“BGRP”) -- If you got this role, you would be on the bad guy team and would conspire with other bad guys on a different board that the good guys could not access. You would be given the name of a bad robot from popular culture (e.g. “Terminator T-1000”). You would also probably have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.B. Good Guy Role Player (“GGRP”) – If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would be given the name of a good robot from popular culture (e.g. “Rosie from the Jetsons”). You would also have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.C. Plain Jane Robot (“PJR”) -- If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would not have any special powers, nor would you be given a special name.D. Independent Role (“Indy”) – If you got this role, you would be aligned neither with the village nor the bad guys. You would be given the name of a robot from popular culture, possibly one that is ambiguous as to whether it is good or bad (e.g. “Terminator Model 101”). You would also have special powers. The mod would give you information about how you can “win” the game.2. Game Play – A. The game starts on Day 1. The village has to lynch somebody that they believe to be a BG. The first day is usually pretty silly because the village has little to no information to base its votes on. When a player is a few votes away from being lynched, he is typically asked to “make a claim” or he will be killed. This means that the person is being asked to identify what his role is. Normally, GGRPs or PJRs will be honest about what their role is and what their powers are, because they are trying to help the village. By contrast, BGRPs and Indys will lie about their role to avoid being killed. The village decides whether the claim is credible, and either goes ahead with the lynch or moves on to lynch someone else. After a lynch is made, I will do a writeup revealing the actual role of the dead person. We then move to the Night Phase.B. The Night phase is all done by PM. The BGs privately instruct me who to kill, and I do a writeup revealing who is dead and what their role was. Some of the people with special powers would also be expected to send me instructions during the night phase about how they wish to use their powers. In this case, TANAC has been given the role of a “night vigilante” or “night vig,” which means he will send me a name to kill each night. I will also do a writeup revealing the person TANAC killed and what that person’s role is.C. The game continues through day and night phases until one of two things happens – 1) There are no bad guys or indies left, which means the village wins; or 2) There are so many bad guys left that it would be impossible for the good guys to beat them, which means the bad guys win.3. Special PowersAs noted above, the GGRPs, BGRPS and Indies usually have special powers that the ordinary PJRs do not have. The types of powers are limited only by the imagination of the mod who designs the game, so it is not unheard of for players to have unusual and unfamiliar powers. If you make a claim in this game, feel free to be as creative as you wish. I have chosen the subject “Robot War” specifically because there are a lot of possible claims that can be made – there are lots of robots in popular culture and they do a lot of different things. With that said, however, there are certain roles that are very common and appear in virtually every game:A. The vigilante (“vig”), usually a GGRP – You have the power to kill other players under circumstances dictated by the modB. The seer, usually a GGRP – You have the ability to see hidden things about other players. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and he would respond whether that person was good or badC. The angel, usually a GGRP – You have the ability to protect people. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not be killed.D. Masons, usually GGRPs – These are a group of good guys that are able to communicate with one another on a separate board. This allows them to confirm that each other is in fact good.E. The Scholar, usually a GGRP – You can find out information from the mod about what roles are in the game. For example, the mod asks you to pick a number between 1 and 12, which represent the names of the various roled robots in the game. The robot that corresponds to whichever number you pick would be identified in the game writeup. F. Blocker, usually a BGRP – You have the ability to prevent someone from using their power. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not use his power that dayG. Manipulator, usually a BGRP – You have the ability to manipulate how someone uses their power. For example, you could alter what the seer sees or make the vig kill a different person than he intended. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person’s power would be manipulated.4. Strange Game MechanicsIt is not at all unusual for there to be some strange game mechanics that the players are not aware of when the game starts. For example: a) the bad guys may have the power to manipulate the writeups to give false information; b) The bad guys may be able to recruit good guys or indies onto their team; c) there may be items that are passed around amongst the players that allow them to have special powers while in their possession. Because game mechanics can be changed for each game, sometimes the unexplainable happens, and you will need to figure out what is going on.
Fatguy: the WW ambassador.Corp> go to the current game, PM the mod for the "green room" (basically a different message board where you can find out who the good and bad guys are, find out what is going on behind the scenes, ask questions, etc), and follow the along with the game. You'll be good to go in no time :lmao:

fatguyinalittlecoat said:

:PThanks!

How Werewolf WorksThis post is unnecessary for most of you, but if there are any of you confused about the logistics of a normal game, it's important for you to understand them so you can play this game well.If this were really a werewolf game called "Robot War," here is how it would be played:1. I would send each of you a PM describing your role in the game. There are several different types of roles A Bad Guy Role Player (BGRP) -- If you got this role, you would be on the bad guy team and would conspire with other bad guys on a different board that the good guys could not access. You would be given the name of a bad robot from popular culture (e.g. Terminator T-1000). You would also probably have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.B. Good Guy Role Player (GGRP) If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would be given the name of a good robot from popular culture (e.g. Rosie from the Jetsons). You would also have special powers. Some examples of special powers are described below in Part 3.C. Plain Jane Robot (PJR) -- If you got this role, you would be working for the village. You would not have any special powers, nor would you be given a special name.D. Independent Role (Indy) If you got this role, you would be aligned neither with the village nor the bad guys. You would be given the name of a robot from popular culture, possibly one that is ambiguous as to whether it is good or bad (e.g. Terminator Model 101). You would also have special powers. The mod would give you information about how you can win the game.2. Game Play A. The game starts on Day 1. The village has to lynch somebody that they believe to be a BG. The first day is usually pretty silly because the village has little to no information to base its votes on. When a player is a few votes away from being lynched, he is typically asked to make a claim or he will be killed. This means that the person is being asked to identify what his role is. Normally, GGRPs or PJRs will be honest about what their role is and what their powers are, because they are trying to help the village. By contrast, BGRPs and Indys will lie about their role to avoid being killed. The village decides whether the claim is credible, and either goes ahead with the lynch or moves on to lynch someone else. After a lynch is made, I will do a writeup revealing the actual role of the dead person. We then move to the Night Phase.B. The Night phase is all done by PM. The BGs privately instruct me who to kill, and I do a writeup revealing who is dead and what their role was. Some of the people with special powers would also be expected to send me instructions during the night phase about how they wish to use their powers. In this case, TANAC has been given the role of a night vigilante or night vig, which means he will send me a name to kill each night. I will also do a writeup revealing the person TANAC killed and what that persons role is.C. The game continues through day and night phases until one of two things happens 1) There are no bad guys or indies left, which means the village wins; or 2) There are so many bad guys left that it would be impossible for the good guys to beat them, which means the bad guys win.3. Special PowersAs noted above, the GGRPs, BGRPS and Indies usually have special powers that the ordinary PJRs do not have. The types of powers are limited only by the imagination of the mod who designs the game, so it is not unheard of for players to have unusual and unfamiliar powers. If you make a claim in this game, feel free to be as creative as you wish. I have chosen the subject Robot War specifically because there are a lot of possible claims that can be made there are lots of robots in popular culture and they do a lot of different things. With that said, however, there are certain roles that are very common and appear in virtually every game:A. The vigilante (vig), usually a GGRP You have the power to kill other players under circumstances dictated by the modB. The seer, usually a GGRP You have the ability to see hidden things about other players. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and he would respond whether that person was good or badC. The angel, usually a GGRP You have the ability to protect people. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not be killed.D. Masons, usually GGRPs These are a group of good guys that are able to communicate with one another on a separate board. This allows them to confirm that each other is in fact good.E. The Scholar, usually a GGRP You can find out information from the mod about what roles are in the game. For example, the mod asks you to pick a number between 1 and 12, which represent the names of the various roled robots in the game. The robot that corresponds to whichever number you pick would be identified in the game writeup. F. Blocker, usually a BGRP You have the ability to prevent someone from using their power. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that person could not use his power that dayG. Manipulator, usually a BGRP You have the ability to manipulate how someone uses their power. For example, you could alter what the seer sees or make the vig kill a different person than he intended. Typically you would PM a name to the mod each night and that persons power would be manipulated.4. Strange Game MechanicsIt is not at all unusual for there to be some strange game mechanics that the players are not aware of when the game starts. For example: a) the bad guys may have the power to manipulate the writeups to give false information; b) The bad guys may be able to recruit good guys or indies onto their team; c) there may be items that are passed around amongst the players that allow them to have special powers while in their possession. Because game mechanics can be changed for each game, sometimes the unexplainable happens, and you will need to figure out what is going on.
:whitestar:

Dan, McGarnicle et al.

another is awaiting you over there

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread