What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How valuable do QB's become... (1 Viewer)

tomarken

Footballguy
A league I'm in has the following setup:

16 roster spots, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)

1 pt per 20 passing, 10 rushing / receiving

Pass TD's 4 pts / all other TD's 6 pts

I've never played in a league where you can start a second QB as your flex. Off the top of my head, it would seem that this would make QB's immensely valuable, based on their sheer output of points compared to other positions.

In normal start-1 QB leagues I typically do the shark thing and wait until the later middle rounds to snag a QB, but I'm leaning towards maybe grabbing a couple QB's a little earlier than usual and racking up the points.

Am I way off base with this? Does anyone use a QB flex, and if so, how valuable do QB's become? Should I be looking at them in rounds 4-5? I'm really interested to find out what others think about this.

ADP Thread.

There have been other topics but the search engine is not the easiest to navigate on occasion.

You are correct though....rds 4 or 5 is where you really want to have at least 1 (maybe 2) of your QB's.

A league I'm in has the following setup:16 roster spots, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)1 pt per 20 passing, 10 rushing / receivingPass TD's 4 pts / all other TD's 6 ptsI've never played in a league where you can start a second QB as your flex. Off the top of my head, it would seem that this would make QB's immensely valuable, based on their sheer output of points compared to other positions. In normal start-1 QB leagues I typically do the shark thing and wait until the later middle rounds to snag a QB, but I'm leaning towards maybe grabbing a couple QB's a little earlier than usual and racking up the points. Am I way off base with this? Does anyone use a QB flex, and if so, how valuable do QB's become? Should I be looking at them in rounds 4-5? I'm really interested to find out what others think about this.
We went to this last year. It's cool but I thought I was going to revolutionize the league by taking Manning early and Palmer in round 5-6. Well I got my 2 QB's but my team stunk. If I had waited on some QB's I wouilda been fine but oh well. "I'm not here to talk about the past"The thing with 2 QB's is you would think they are incredibly valuable; but at only 4pts/td (just like your league) they aren't. Most of our QB's score 15-25 pts per week. My strategy this year is WAIT like I should have done last year and get a solid QB like the #10-15# guy and then try and get Kitna/Simms. If these guys blow up I'll use the 2 QB lineup but I'm not planning on sticking to the 2 QB lineup.P.S. We are 1QB/1RB/2WR 2FLEX (QB/RB/WR/TE)

I am in a similar league, but with only 10 teams. So for us, typically it is still only 15+ QBs starting every week. Some differences between normal leagues:

You maximize your lineup's scoring by starting QB at flex, not RB. If you start RB, your best case is a third round RB... in your league, that means pick 33+, which in turn likely means not a RB taken in the top 20. So the only time it usually makes sense to not start QB at flex is if you hit on a homerun RB pick, like LJ last year.

It raises the question of whether or not you want 3 or 4 QBs on your roster. With one starting QB, you can easily get away with a single backup. But you have to decide if a single backup is good enough, assuming you plan to start 2 every week. To some extent this depends on your early picks. If you take Favre, you can better get away with a single backup than you can if you take Vick.

It allows for the possibility of hoarding QBs. I don't advocate this, but in the later rounds, you could potentially snag extra QBs, thus denying other teams backups. I have seen teams do this, and been pleased, because it weakens both the hoarding teams and the teams denied backups.

Because this raises the value of QBs over traditional leagues, it is easier to make trades with QBs. For example, in traditional leagues, it isn't easy to make a QB the centerpiece of a trade for an elite RB or WR (unless you're talking about Manning), but it can happen in a flex QB league.

All that said, I still think it pays to wait on value, at least for the second QB. I might take the first slightly earlier than in traditional leagues, simply because I don't want to end up on the wrong end of a QB run, needing two.

Users who are viewing this thread