What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hunting for Hillis (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
As a follow-on to last week's Hunting for Brandon Lloyd, which seemed to be reasonably popular, I thought I'd take a look at the running back position.

Now, this is a different outlook than WR or TE - we aren't really looking at targets or a passing attack here, but we do have some general guidelines that I try and look for, again in no particular order:

1. (Situation) The offensive line better not be a trainwreck. Matt Forte appears to be an exception to this rule, so just think what he could do with more help.

2. (Situation) A passing attack helps - but at times, does hinder. That means a team should be willing to throw and throw well, just to keep the offense on a balanced (or close enough) track.

3. (Situation) The defense needs to be relatively solid. This goes well with #2, as you better have a team either holding leads or in close games in the third and fourth quarters. The last thing a true ball carrier needs for production is a hurry-up, no huddle offense against a prevent defense-running team that is already up 21-0.

4. (Opportunity) Touches. The more the better. In PPR leagues, #3 might actually help if he is the passing attack back (see Earnest Graham) but that is not going to find you consistent production.

5. (Opportunity / Talent) A path to #4 (if he is not there already). If the lead dog goes down (and typically one does fall every week or so) - what will the team do as Plan B? Will they go to a committee attack, or will it be a one-man show?

6. (Talent) Is the RB in question good as a receiver, ball carrier, goal line guy, between the tackles, scat back, blocking back, passing RB or any/all of the above? The more of these the better, which will increase 4 and 5.

7. (Opportunity) - I have to also consider the frailty of the lead RB on the team - either to get hurt or to hold on to the top role.

NOTE - There may not be a true Hillis this year. The attempt here is to outline what I'd look for if I was hoping for one, and an attempt to get you to do the same. This is a dialogue starter, not a soliloquy.

So here's what I did. I looked at the Top 48 projected guys this week and started to grade each team's opportunity and backup talents. Why 48? Take 32 starters and roughly 1/2 of the backups - seems like a decent enough starting point. It wasn't a hard and fast rule (I did look at 45-55 or so) but in general the number made sense.

After I had that list, I started to trim the list of teams down based on:

1. How many RBs are in the Top 48 per team

2. How high on the list is the RB1 back

3. How high on the list is the #2 back

That sort of clues me in to which teams have a featured back and are willing to give him a featured role - plus there's a sense of a metric of production. For example, Jahvid Best is a Top 10 RB this week but his next backup is way down the list (RB5/6 range). A stud backup would be a great pickup if you believed in Jerome Harrison (for the record, I don't).

The next metric for me was a "legitimate RB attack" - I want a team that's going to run the ball more often than not (sorry, Philadelphia). In PPR leagues this may not matter as much, so look at touches for the RB1 (ok Eagles, you're back in - for now).

The third and final look was based on the backup talent pool. This is the most subjective and really comes from either a trained eye, reading / hearing about players, or a combination. Your answers may vary and completely go with or go against mine. I'm OK with that.

So here's what I found:

Pass #1, sorting by team:

Team - Player - Team

[*]Chris "Beanie" Wells, Arizona Cardinals

[*]Matt Forte, Chicago Bears

[*]Cedric Benson, Cincinnati (Sing-Sing-addy?) Bengals

[*]Peyton Hillis, Cleveland Browns

[*]Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys

[*]Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions

[*]Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings

[*]Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders

[*]LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles

[*]Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers

[*]Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers

[*]Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans

So now we have 12 guys / situations to consider. A pretty good start, but we can grade it out more.

Assigning rough weights to help me sort situations, I gave 3 points for a Top 48 back all by his lonesome, 2 points for a team that I consider that has a "RB attack" on offense, and either 1 point to a team / back that has a good sleeper behind the lead RB or 1/2 a point (to split it) if there are two.

That led me to this ranking:

6 Peyton Hillis

6 Adrian Peterson

6 Darren McFadden

6 Rashard Mendenhall

5.5 Frank Gore

5.5 Chris Johnson

5.5 Matt Forte

4 Cedric Benson

3.5 LeSean McCoy

3.5 Felix Jones

3 Chris Wells

3 Jahvid Best

OK, so walking through each team, this time in ranking order (note some ties):

Tier 1:

Cleveland - If Hillis goes down (and I mean down HARD, like Frasier, not with his sniffles this week), Montario Hardesty is likely your guy. For better or worse, he's worth owning - but I don't think he's your Hillis this year. (Again - NOTE - There may not be a true Hillis this year).

Minnesota - The offense is Adrian Peterson. If he goes down, you should be all over Toby Gerhart. I'd grab him if I had ADP and I'd squeeze him onto a roster if you like his schedule and prospects - but with CHI, DET and GB 2x each, that sounds terrible to me unless you have a stud like Peterson. Not a bad option, but not a Hillis I wouldn't think.

Oakland - Darren "Run DMC" McFadden is a top tier running back this year, especially with Oakland actually having a reasonable passing game. That said, Michael Bush is already vulturing TDs and he has proven that he can handle a big workload in the past when McFadden was out. You can do much worse than grabbing Bush as a prospect.

Pittsburgh - Rashard Mendenhall is the clear #1, but we saw last week that Isaac Redman is the clear second back to have. He mopped up nicely against Seattle, and the Steelers have a great schedule. I like Redman for rare opportunities, but if Mendy gets hurt, I really would want him on my team. Solid Hillis potential.

Tier 2:

San Francisco - The 49ers are terrible at throwing the ball and their receivers are falling off of a cliff (almost as bad as the Giants). Alex Smith scares no one, so teams will put 8-9 guys in the box against Frank Gore. San Fran is riding Gore for as much as they can get, which means he could break down. Kendall Hunter would be the play here, but the upside is limited until a passing game develops; hope for Kaepernick to start soon.

Tennessee - So much for 2,000 yards for Chris Johnson, but he should get back on track this week against Denver. Tennessee does love to run the ball, but Matt Hasselbeck has looked very good and loves Kenny Britt. Should CJ2K get banged up both Javon Ringer and Jamie Harper would split the work (about 70:30 Ringer), limiting the upside of both. Actually Hasselbeck might limit the upsides for both. If you have Johnson you should have Ringer, while if you are a gambler and want a longshot for this year with upside, consider Harper who has looked good in the preseason.

Chicago - Matt Forte is an elite back, and he's creating things on his own (much like he did at Tulane). He's used to making things happen for himself, but if he's out for an extended period I think Marion Barber and "More" Kahlil Bell split the backfield work. I like Bell's upside more, but behind that offensive line I don't hold out much hope there as Barber would be called upon to pass protect (and catch dump off passes) more. MB3 has more PPR value.

Tier 3:

Cincinnati - Well, we know that this will be happening for at least three weeks once Benson is suspended. Bernard Scott will get the bulk of the workload, but former Rutgers Scarlet Knight Brian Leonard is no slouch (and he reminds me some of Hillis). That said, Benson wasn't doing much behind that line. Was that his fault? Perhaps, but Leonard would have to really get past Scott to take over. I like him more than Scott as a dark horse.

Tier 4:

Philadelphia - The Eagles are pass-happy, and with that defense they will have to outshoot and outscore other teams. Do not expect Dion Lewis or Ronnie Brown to dominate touches if McCoy gets hurt. Plus their best RB is arguably taking snaps from the center. Some limited value in PPR leagues, but modest at best. If McCoy goes down, Lewis and Brown split a limited workload.

Dallas - This is actually interesting. I think Felix Jones is made of glass, so there's a good chance that he gets nicked (again) and sidelined for an extended period of time. If that happens, however, the team has given up on Tashard Choice (who doesn't look strong these days, for whatever reason) as they like rookie Demarco Murray more. The real sleeper - and I think he actually COULD be a Peyton Hillis - is Philip Tanner. Check him out on

.Tier 5:

Arizona - If Beanie gets hurt, I'd expect a 4-wide or 5-wide attack with Kevin Kolb reaching back and firing 50 times a week. Chester Taylor's worth very little (I like LaRod Stephens-Howling much better) but there's no Hillis here.

Detroit - I love the Detoit offense and Jahvid Best, but I don't believe that this is a RB-centric team nor do I give any legit value to Harrison or Maurice Morris. I wouldn't look to pick them up at all unless I was desperate for a plug-in.

So to sum up my "Hillis Potential" List:

[*]Michael Bush

[*]Isaac Redman

[*]Bernard Scott (higher due to 3-weeks of starting to come)

[*]Toby Gerhart

[*]Kendall Hunter

[*]Javon Ringer

[*]Marion Barber (PPR mostly)

[*]Brian Leonard (dark horse)

[*]Philip Tanner(dark horse)

[*]Kahlil Bell (very dark horse)

excellent idea for a post - I am constantly "hunting" , so it is cool to see a thread like this . . .

kudos . . .

I would think Helu would be on that list. He is my pick.
x2
Everything I've read/seen/heard here in the DC area and beyond is that Helu is the backup who will see situational work. He's still learning. Upside is there, but I don't think of Washington as a run-first team. That said, he's well worth throwing into the discussion, especially if Hightower were to get nicked up. If that happened though I'd have to assume a committee approach and not a featured role for Helu.Plus - Mike Shanahan is nuts.

My favorite hasn't been mentioned. Jaquizz Rodgers.

Awesome offense in Atlanta, and Turner isn't going to last. Bloom likes him more than Snelling as a handcuff. That's my number 1 Hillis guy.

The next guy is Isaac Redman, another great offense, run first. Both these guys are going to be playing downhill closing out games if they get the chance.

My favorite hasn't been mentioned. Jaquizz Rodgers.Awesome offense in Atlanta, and Turner isn't going to last. Bloom likes him more than Snelling as a handcuff. That's my number 1 Hillis guy.The next guy is Isaac Redman, another great offense, run first. Both these guys are going to be playing downhill closing out games if they get the chance.
I like "Quizz" but I don't see him as a featured RB that would dominate touches. In PPR I could see the value, but it's tough to rely on a rookie.If there's any rookie I really had hope for as a sleeper it is Delone Carter, but the Colts are just not any good.

I would think Helu would be on that list. He is my pick.
x2
Everything I've read/seen/heard here in the DC area and beyond is that Helu is the backup who will see situational work. He's still learning. Upside is there, but I don't think of Washington as a run-first team. That said, he's well worth throwing into the discussion, especially if Hightower were to get nicked up. If that happened though I'd have to assume a committee approach and not a featured role for Helu.Plus - Mike Shanahan is nuts.
Agree shanny is nuts, but if Hightower shows any ball handling issues (fumbles), or gets hurt, I can see Helu taking over. I think Helu has that "wow" factor that Shanny loves, i.e. I found this kid and made him a star, look at me (Shanny) I am better then anyone at finding talent.

My favorite hasn't been mentioned. Jaquizz Rodgers.Awesome offense in Atlanta, and Turner isn't going to last. Bloom likes him more than Snelling as a handcuff. That's my number 1 Hillis guy.The next guy is Isaac Redman, another great offense, run first. Both these guys are going to be playing downhill closing out games if they get the chance.
I like "Quizz" but I don't see him as a featured RB that would dominate touches. In PPR I could see the value, but it's tough to rely on a rookie.If there's any rookie I really had hope for as a sleeper it is Delone Carter, but the Colts are just not any good.
Quizz got 5.7 ypc in limited action last week. I agree he's too slight of frame and too raw to carry a Michael Turner load. But even if he's got a good share of a RBBC with Snelling, he has more opportunities in the RZ than most. Also like you say, in PPR that's a bonus. Not exactly a Hillis type runner, but Hillis type reward for scooping him off the waiver wire, maybe.

so last year you saw Cleveland having a good offense, a passing attack, a relatively solid defense, you saw Hillis as the guy to get all the touches vs Hardesty (or a path anyway) and you knew Hillis was an all around RB?

few knew anything about Hillis - I did because I an an avid Hog fan and he grew up 30 miles from where I live. Denver buried him as a FB for 2/3 of the season, he did well then was benched with an injury, then he was traded to a team that drafted high a RB in Hardesty .......... you saw all those things in Hillis that very very few others did?

What about Deji Karim? Strong runner, tough to bring down, good pass catcher, has break away speed and runs well in space. MJD would need to go down. added bonus as a KO returner. Kind of reminds me of Jamaal Charles before his breakout.

What about Deji Karim? Strong runner, tough to bring down, good pass catcher, has break away speed and runs well in space. MJD would need to go down. added bonus as a KO returner. Kind of reminds me of Jamaal Charles before his breakout.
Another good name, and I loved Rashad Jennings coming into this season (as I didn't trust MJD's knee) - but you'll have to hope Gabbert keeps the passing game alive. I'd have liked him more with Garrard.That said, Karim's already on a lot of radars and he's a Top 40 RB at this point, especially in PPR. I glossed over him as he's already getting 5-10 touches a game, so he should be rostered - but nothing wrong with adding him and I agree that if MJD lost significant time he's a great name to grab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starks smells like RB1 opportunity so it depends on your definition of "deep".

I started the big Foster dynasty gold thread in this forum at the end of the 2009 season so it pains me to say that he may not be a stud RB1 this whole year ... but ... he is BETTER than Tate. If the Texans let him get healthy he is more dynamic but he won't get the volume he did last year.

I've been hoarding Redman everywhere I can ... I'm surprised it doesn't get FAR more run but Mendy had over 400 carries including the postseason which historically suggests an increased injury risk. He is absolutely RB1 caliber should that happen.

As I posted in the Monday insider waiver wire article I'm surprised Scott and Hardesty were among the recommended drops when so many of the above conditions suggest they have HUGE upside if things play out right. Of the two Hardesty has the best chance to be Hillis while Scott has the best chance to be short-term gold with a CHANCE at more.

I'd like to understand why Tanner gets the nod when they have 4 capable RB's in a pass happy offense that doesn't run block well. Tempting to stash but so much has to happen. Wouldn't shock me but Jerry would have to admit Felix and Murray were mistakes barring injury first.

Right team ... wrong player. Michael Bush is Michael Bush. Taiwan Jones is explosive and if/when DMC goes down ... look out. He won't get 20+ carries but think Dexter McCluster on an actual NFL team. If DMC can be an elite RB1 while Bush takes the GL carries I wouldn't put it past Taiwan either.

Powell also needs to be mentioned here ... I suspect he'll be active soon and if he plays well his role will continue to grow. They WANT to run to set up the pass and he can catch to take some of LT's role too. Like Taiwan Jones that puts him in a category where he could still get touches in the passing game.

Finally ... I don't expect much from McCluster but if he can stand up to 8-40 and 7-40 with an occasional long TD he'll be at worst what Darren Sproles appears set to be all year ... a solid PPR RB2.

Pretty dismissive of Murray and Starks. These guys have a shot; Murray moreso than Starks.
Starks is the starter, so he doesn't belong in this thread.Probably shouldn't have glossed over Murray so quickly to get to Tanner.
The question was "who was this years Hillis?" not "who is this years Hillis from here on out?"Starks was supposedly the backup coming into the year who had a few good games the previous season like Jerome Harrison did. The only difference was that Starks was drafted late whereas not many drafted Hillis but still backup to potential RB1.

:blackdot: to follow up on later. Nice hunting threads, wr and rb. While rb is mucho harder to find a point producing player each week. This may not be the "topic", but using these guidelines. Can also work for finding this weeks under the radar... rb. or wr...

btw..

week one 33 rbs 10pts or higher

week two 33 rbs 10pts or higher

a list. As i am looking at rb that was drafted semi late. or ww . Not sure There is a Hills..if You do not count Tate.. he should have been drafted, even without the Foster hamstring news. As should alomst all the rb on this list. as a rb 4,5,6 depending on league.

PLAYER NFL 3

Ben Tate HOU @NO

Willis McGahee DEN @Ten

Daniel Thomas MIA @Cle

James Starks GB @Chi

Danny Woodhead NE @Buf

Darren Sproles NO Hou

DeMarco Murray DAL Was

Mike Tolbert SD KC

Le'Ron McClain KC @SD

C.J. Spiller BUF NE

LaDainian Tomlinson NYJ @Oak

Roy Helu WAS @Dal

Thomas Jones KC @SD

Isaac Redman PIT @Ind

Delone Carter IND Pit

Jerome Harrison DET @Min

happy hunting.

again thanks for posting. these topics are interesting to say the least. :popcorn:

Pretty dismissive of Murray and Starks. These guys have a shot; Murray moreso than Starks.
Starks is the starter, so he doesn't belong in this thread.Probably shouldn't have glossed over Murray so quickly to get to Tanner.
The question was "who was this years Hillis?" not "who is this years Hillis from here on out?"Starks was supposedly the backup coming into the year who had a few good games the previous season like Jerome Harrison did. The only difference was that Starks was drafted late whereas not many drafted Hillis but still backup to potential RB1.
None of Starks' games have been like Jerome Harrison's 'good games.'

Guys that are not the #1 but situation could put them into at least semi-Hillis production.

1.Daniel Thomas- my first choice. Gets the start against Cleveland this week and doesn't look back. Best Hillis-like candidate,IMO.

2. Roy Helu- I hate Shanahan but I think he loves this kid and his potential wow factor. Shanny's not satisfied with just winning games, he wants to be known for putting points on the board and Helu could be the guy to do it for him. Agree he needs to be able to pass block but Shanny will settle for mediocrity from him in this dept. It could come back to bite him in the keister though. Still, if Shanny starts increasing Helu's playing time he's got a chance at good production.

3.Isaac Redman- clearly will depnd on a Mendenhall injury and I don't wish that on any player. Yet, if Redman gets the opportunity for extended playing time I think he does well.Lost Charlesin a money leagueandtheres' nobody on the WW to even consider other than Redman who I picked up. Fingers crossed there.

This seems like a really useful series, so thanks again.

The RB sleeper issue is really important for anyone in a deep league.

Last year Hillis emerged after Jerome Harrison had had a terrific end of 2009; Harrison was the starter, then there was a time share, then Harrison's carries decreased, then they went away, then he mentioned that, and then he got traded. Hillis had shown talent at ARK and at DEN but no one ever seemed to take him seriously or give a chance as the starter. Big dude, looks slow, meh make him a fullback. Well Mangini gets trashed left and right (maybe for a lot of good reasons) but he sure as heck did find Peyton Hillis.

And it makes me wonder how many Hillises are really playing fullback or even tight end today. But that's a whole other issue.

It's been well stated before that there is a lot of turnover in the RB top-10/15/20 year in, year out.

Rookies seem like obvious candidates, Daniel Thomas as mentioned above (just wait until he gets some goalline chances & TD's), or maybe Ingram if he picks it up. Looking at the Colts given the current makeup of the team I'd say it would make sense for them to go run heavy and rely on Delone Carter a lot more than they have been. As with Hillis it may be that Carter starts picking up more and more carries as the need to control and hold the ball becomes more and more evident to the Colts brain trust. - Ryan Williams would have been in a great situation in ARI if he had not gotten hurt. - Not a rookie, but Starks looks like another guy who could gradually take over, but the problem there is that the Pack is not a run-first (or even second) philosophy. The only other guy who I could think of who could fit that mold is Powell with the Jets, but only if Greene, LT *and McKnight all keep up their sub 3.0 performances for a few more weeks and then Powell gets gradually worked in and he's successful, but is that really going to happen?

After that you've got the potential injury situations. I've got these as the most likely (in my own amateur head):

Addai/Carter

Gore/Hunter

Felix/Murray/Choice/Tanner - Tanner did look really good in the preseason too, at least to me.

Best/Morris/Harrison/Williamson

Turner/Snelling/Rodgers - Rodgers looks great and he's not the same RB at all but this reminds me of the Norwood situation, high YPC, people rave about him but not really a lead back

- By the way McCluster and Thomas Jones have already stepped up. The situation does not look good but then the CLE situation looked AWFUL week 2 of last year too.

And then, just because of the number of carries Hillis is getting and the recent decrease in his YPC:

Hillis/Hardesty

In terms of backups with a chance at real playing time and scoring opportunities without taking over or inury:

Redman

Helu

The magnitude of what Redman could do if Mendenhall went out is the greatest of all the guys above I think. Mendenhall just looks like a hoss who isn't going anywhere though. - ETA: I need to add Michael Bush here. He would also be a terrific RB replacement should McFadden get hurt, but Bush is seemingly well rostered and he doesn't seem like someone who could likely be added as a practical matter.

The lesson I learned from Hillis is: if a RB starts getting chances and if you need a RB of any variety, don't discount that they won't do something because of the current lead guy or because the situation may not be perfect, take a chance and pick them up. In a medium sized (10 team) $ league, I have gone with D. Thomas and Ingram (to go with Hightower). Right now in a semi-deep $ league I am taking flyers on Carter, Hardesty and McCluster. Redman might get plugged in for Hardesty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good conversation in this thread - exactly what I like to see.

As for Bilal Powell - I've been on both sides of the fence on him. You don't have to sell me on the NYJ ground game - or at least the philosophy that Rex Ryan wants to win by running 35+ times a week and playing defense. That said, the offensive line isn't what it was last year and now they just lost Nick Mangold to a high ankle sprain. I don't know anything about his replacement either (undrafted rookie Colin Baxter), except that I don't hold undrafted rookie centers in high regard.

Back to Greene - I think that the Jets are going to stick with him for most of the year. I don't know if Powell will even suit up this year. I like him Dynasty-wise as my Louisville fan friends say he was their central offensive piece, something I like to see at the college level. Right now though his RB4 behind Greene, LT2 and Joe McKnight - and he didn't even make it to the active player list last week. At best he'll be a special teams guy this year. I don't know if that's more about the guys in front of him today or the problems of not having OTAs to learn the system for 2011 - I'd say it is likely both. For him to be fantasy relevant this year he'd need at least Greene and LT2 to go down.

Hey Jeff,I checked out the Tanner clip and it was ok but the level of competition showed lots of half hearted or missed tackles or players who were overmatched and that is what you look for, to see a prospect dominate lower competition. Its tough to transfer watching low-level talent going up against a prospect into NFL standards. The domination is one thing, the skills of the player are another thing.

I'm sure you've seen Murray but look at that Tanner clip, then check out Murray.

Murray has a few things that I did not see in the Tanner clip. Explosion, balance, break-away speed, and the level of competition works better for me.

Waldman is the only Football Guy who seemed to like Murray.

I think Demarco is going to gradually build steam as the season progresses as his touches increase but its also possible he could have a breakout game. I think he has the type of skill to break out or at the very least flash that potential. He may do that this weekend.

Hey Jeff,I checked out the Tanner clip and it was ok but the level of competition showed lots of half hearted or missed tackles or players who were overmatched and that is what you look for, to see a prospect dominate lower competition. Its tough to transfer watching low-level talent going up against a prospect into NFL standards. The domination is one thing, the skills of the player are another thing.

I'm sure you've seen Murray but look at that Tanner clip, then check out Murray.

Yeah I don't get the rationale to leap over Murray, either, particularly in light of what he JUST said about Bilal having to leapfrog LT, Greene, and McKnight.If there's a reason to pick up Tanner over Murray i'd really like to know it.

No way on McClain - not in that offense. McClain did well behind a much stronger offensive line and on a team that was leading most of the time and grinding out wins on the ground. Kansas City? No.

I'm smart enough and humble enough to keep an open mind here. I haven't seen much of Murray - but I've also only seen the highlights of Tanner too. So here's where we stand - Felix Jones is a top candidate to be one of those guys who either goes down to injury or gets leapfrogged. I think both I and the D. Murray supports can agree on that.It sounds like Murray's going to get some work on Monday night. I'll be watching closely here. I do know that in bigger / deeper leagues, Tanner's available and Murray's not. That's part of the reason I went to Tanner instead of Murray. I can't fault anyone snagging Murray if he's available and hoping a star will be born Monday night.

No way on McClain - not in that offense. McClain did well behind a much stronger offensive line and on a team that was leading most of the time and grinding out wins on the ground. Kansas City? No.
But if it's just him and Jackie Battle, and he gets 20+ touches a game...it's not possible for him to NOT have value. Purely opportunity driven.

Cleveland wwas 5-11 last year. Not sure "grinding out wins" is an appropriate statement. Now if you want to say he's a double threat in that he grinds it out and he catches well out of the backfield so he stayed in even when Cleveland was behind I'll agree with that. As for McClain, I'm not sure how "soft" his hands are but he averaged about 20 receptions a year over the last 3 years in part time work so I could see him staying in on passing downs and when KC falls behind (which will be all the time).

... I'm smart enough and humble enough to keep an open mind here. I haven't seen much of Murray - but I've also only seen the highlights of Tanner too. So here's where we stand - Felix Jones is a top candidate to be one of those guys who either goes down to injury or gets leapfrogged. I think both I and the D. Murray supports can agree on that.

It sounds like Murray's going to get some work on Monday night. I'll be watching closely here. I do know that in bigger / deeper leagues, Tanner's available and Murray's not. That's part of the reason I went to Tanner instead of Murray. I can't fault anyone snagging Murray if he's available and hoping a star will be born Monday night.
When looking at Tanner VS. Murray, I think I would choose Murray based on sheer talent.Not much detail but Felix practiced yesterday.

My link

... running back Felix Jones (shoulder) returned to practice with limited participation Friday.
I think the heroic Romo broken ribs and punctured lung epic story is pushing guys like Dez Bryant and Felix to try and tough-it-out but it could come back to bite them, esp a separated shoulder for a RB.Murray has skills but like all rookies he missed mini camps and off-season, in addition to that missed time he also missed all of training camp and the first two preseson games.

I am not predicting a super nova star explosion Monday Night.

I feel he's got the skill to gradually get more touches and challenge for the right to earn the starting job, however if Felix keeps coming up gimpy then I feel Demarco has the skills where he 'could' have a breakout game.

I'm just not sure it is fair to expect him to break out Monday.

Right team ... wrong player. Michael Bush is Michael Bush. Taiwan Jones is explosive and if/when DMC goes down ... look out. He won't get 20+ carries but think Dexter McCluster on an actual NFL team. If DMC can be an elite RB1 while Bush takes the GL carries I wouldn't put it past Taiwan either.
:goodposting: That's how I lean on the situation too. Taiwan is probably unrostered too, while you may have to trade for Bush.

Cleveland wwas 5-11 last year. Not sure "grinding out wins" is an appropriate statement. Now if you want to say he's a double threat in that he grinds it out and he catches well out of the backfield so he stayed in even when Cleveland was behind I'll agree with that. As for McClain, I'm not sure how "soft" his hands are but he averaged about 20 receptions a year over the last 3 years in part time work so I could see him staying in on passing downs and when KC falls behind (which will be all the time).
My "grinding out wins" was about Baltimore

... I'm smart enough and humble enough to keep an open mind here. I haven't seen much of Murray - but I've also only seen the highlights of Tanner too. So here's where we stand - Felix Jones is a top candidate to be one of those guys who either goes down to injury or gets leapfrogged. I think both I and the D. Murray supports can agree on that.

It sounds like Murray's going to get some work on Monday night. I'll be watching closely here. I do know that in bigger / deeper leagues, Tanner's available and Murray's not. That's part of the reason I went to Tanner instead of Murray. I can't fault anyone snagging Murray if he's available and hoping a star will be born Monday night.
When looking at Tanner VS. Murray, I think I would choose Murray based on sheer talent.Not much detail but Felix practiced yesterday.

My link

... running back Felix Jones (shoulder) returned to practice with limited participation Friday.
I think the heroic Romo broken ribs and punctured lung epic story is pushing guys like Dez Bryant and Felix to try and tough-it-out but it could come back to bite them, esp a separated shoulder for a RB.Murray has skills but like all rookies he missed mini camps and off-season, in addition to that missed time he also missed all of training camp and the first two preseson games.

I am not predicting a super nova star explosion Monday Night.

I feel he's got the skill to gradually get more touches and challenge for the right to earn the starting job, however if Felix keeps coming up gimpy then I feel Demarco has the skills where he 'could' have a breakout game.

I'm just not sure it is fair to expect him to break out Monday.
To further the point on Dallas, if Felix goes down (or when), I think Romo and company rear back and throw a ton.

After kicking my own ####, like Jim Carrey does in the bathroom in Liar Liar, my wounds have healed and I'm on the hunt to find someone to replace No-run Greene. Might not be anything out there to help the situation and I may be stuck with him. Guess I'll have to use him for bye week fill-ins unless my new toy Roy Helu gets his motor running. I know the Jets O-line is strugling but I'd gladly welcome any suggestions,advice,critcism, slammin' on what to do with Shonne Greene. Our league is a little unconventional as we can only carry 2QB,4RB,4WR,2TE,2PK,2DEF until week 10 then we can have 5rb's & 5 wr's and more at the other positions. Certainly a format some may not like but I've won a fair amount over the last several year. Won the title 2 yrs. ago. My other backs are McFadden, Daniel Thomas, Roy Helu and Greene. probably should just keep him until I see how Thomas and Helu fair and if they do well I'm getting rid of Greene's butt. Any of you guys see anyone Peyton Hillis like in the remotest sense that could be had?

Users who are viewing this thread