What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I hope "AD" is a bust out (1 Viewer)

Should "AD" be an acceptable abbreviation for Adrian Peterson?

• 'All Day' is a stellar nickname and 'AD' is the correct abbreviation for this stud i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'All Day' is a perfectly acceptable expression when raising the big blind in Texas Hold'

• 'All Day' is a cool nickname, but for the love of Pete(erson), why are we abbreviating it do

• I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore. 'All Day' and 'AD' are d

• Smoo

• Total voters

geoff8695

Footballguy
I am annoyed with the stupid "AD" abbreviation for Adrian Peterson (who has yet to even suit up in an NFL uniform) and the even dumber "all day" nickname. I didn't pay much attention to this confusing 'AD' reference in the beginning, but it appears to have really grown legs. I even see admired FBGs like Bloom refer to him as 'AD' on a regular basis now :cry:

When I hear the expression 'all day' I think someone has just raised the big blind in a hand of texas hold'em, not Adrian Petersen stud Oklahoma running back and NFL rookie.

I know it shouldn't irritate me so much, but what can I say? There is just something inherently arrogant and cocky IMO when you refer to a rookie whose initials are 'AP' as 'AD', and then assume that everyone else ought to know who you are talking about. :no:

I really have nothing personal against 'AP' other than my loyalty and rooting interest in the Bears and wishing to see them annually trounce Minnesota and the rest of the NFC North. However my logic goes like this, if 'AP' (which should be the abbreviation for him if and when he actually lives up to the hype) becomes a Curtis Enis style bust, then I won't have to see him referred to as 'AD', which will become just an irrelevant footnote from the 2007 season.

OTOH if he is wildly successful then I'm going to have to cringe at every 'AD' appearance for years to come in countless RB threads in the sharkpool. :yucky:

What's next are we going to start referring to Chad Johnson ('Ocho Cinco') as OC? Should I just start inserting 'OC' into WR threads in the shark pool and then :doh: at all the people who reply to my 'OC' references with :rolleyes: ?

What say the rest of you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since he's had the nickname since he was a toddler, I don't see how it can be seen as cocky.

But I see your point and personally refer to him as AP.

FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!

I am annoyed with the stupid "AD" abbreviation for Adrian Peterson (who has yet to even suit up in an NFL uniform) and the even dumber "all day" nickname. I didn't pay much attention to this confusing 'AD' reference in the beginning, but it appears to have really grown legs. I even see admired FBGs like Bloom refer to him as 'AD' on a regular basis now :wub:When I hear the expression 'all day' I think someone has just raised the big blind in a hand of texas hold'em, not Adrian Petersen stud Oklahoma running back and NFL rookie.I know it shouldn't irritate me so much, but what can I say? There is just something inherently arrogant and cocky IMO when you refer to a rookie whose initials are 'AP' as 'AD', and then assume that everyone else ought to know who you are talking about. :bag: I really have nothing personal against 'AP' other than my loyalty and rooting interest in the Bears and wishing to see them annually trounce Minnesota and the rest of the NFC North. However my logic goes like this, if 'AP' (which should be the abbreviation for him if and when he actually lives up to the hype) becomes a Curtis Enis style bust, then I won't have to see him referred to as 'AD' will become an irrelevant footnote from the 2007 season. OTOH if he is wildly successful then I'm going to have to cringe at every 'AD' appearance for years to come in countless RB threads in the sharkpool. :clap: What's next are we going to start referring to Chad Johnson ('Ocho Cinco') as OC? Should I just start inserting 'OC' into WR threads in the shark pool and then :lmao: at all the people who reply to my 'OC' references with :lmao: ?What say the rest of you?
I'm hoping to draft BW in the 1st, then LF in the 2nd, and if ML falls to the 3rd, I'm stoked. LE in the 4th would be awesome. I'll take MB in the 5th. TG in the 6th is great value. I like RB in the 7th. GJ in the 8th = money.Huh? No one calls Westbrook BW. LF for Fitz? LE for Evans? *Lol* Yeah run with that.We use nicknames, because if you used initials you'd have no freaking clue who you were talking about. AD is fine. That's what they call him. I don't care if they call him "anal willie". I'll still call him AW. When someone says AD, I know exactly who they are talking about. And that is all that really matters.Most people here don't even know Pacman's real name. Case closed.

Since he's had the nickname since he was a toddler, I don't see how it can be seen as cocky.But I see your point and personally refer to him as AP.FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!
I guess I wasn't clear about the 'cocky' part. I don't really think the name is cocky or arrogant. Just the posters who would refer to AD in a thread that wasn't even specifically about AP and then :lmao: to the folks who were :lmao:

I'm hoping to draft BW in the 1st, then LF in the 2nd, and if ML falls to the 3rd, I'm stoked. LE in the 4th would be awesome. I'll take MB in the 5th. TG in the 6th is great value. I like RB in the 7th. GJ in the 8th = money.
:lmao:

Since he's had the nickname since he was a toddler, I don't see how it can be seen as cocky.But I see your point and personally refer to him as AP.FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!
I guess I wasn't clear about the 'cocky' part. I don't really think the name is cocky or arrogant. Just the posters who would refer to AD in a thread that wasn't even specifically about AP and then :rolleyes: to the folks who were :confused:
Now I see your point.Since he hasn't done anything yet, people ought not be referring to him as AD like they refer to LT.

I guess I wasn't clear about the 'cocky' part. I don't really think the name is cocky or arrogant. Just the posters who would refer to AD in a thread that wasn't even specifically about AP and then :rolleyes: to the folks who were :thumbup:
Now I see your point.Since he hasn't done anything yet, people ought not be referring to him as AD like they refer to LT.
Yes, but to be honest I'm not crazy about the abbreviation of the nickname even if and when he does establish himself. Maybe if his initials weren't so similar it wouldn't confuse/annoy me so much. You're a Vikings fan Andy. Please come up with a catchier nickname for this guy that maybe the rest of Viking nation can adopt.

"AD" is a pure nickname whereas LT is an abbreviation. The fact that AD's real name begins with an "A" causes people to question why he is referred to as AD instead of AP.

I guess I wasn't clear about the 'cocky' part. I don't really think the name is cocky or arrogant. Just the posters who would refer to AD in a thread that wasn't even specifically about AP and then :rolleyes: to the folks who were :football:
Yes, but to be honest I'm not crazy about the abbreviation of the nickname even if and when he does establish himself. Maybe if his initials weren't so similar it wouldn't confuse/annoy me so much. You're a Vikings fan Andy. Please come up with a catchier nickname for this guy that maybe the rest of Viking nation can adopt.
Yeah, it's really annoying to have people refer to him by a nickname that's existed for years. We should all really get to determine his nickname.

To be honest, I'm tired of everyone using abbreviations as much as they do. Maybe a few of them are no-brainers (LT) but much of the time I find myself wasting several minutes on a thread trying to figure out who these people are. Is it really that hard to use a first initial and last name?

If it would make this as well as the other dozen so threads on the AD nickname go away, I wish that Peterson would use the long form or "All Day"

Yeah, it's really annoying to have people refer to him by a nickname that's existed for years. We should all really get to determine his nickname.
:no: I don't care how long he's been nicknamed 'all day'. Even so, do we really have to refer to Adrian 'all day' Peterson (who hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet) as 'AD'? And if you feel you must refer to him by his nickname why not make it clearer by saying All Day? This is getting ridiculous IMO.ETA: Coolnerd beat me to it in the previous post

Vote NO! Otherwise, it'll take people 6 months to realize who AP is - much like the painful 6 month period we endured when "Look at the shirt" came to fruition.

To be honest, I'm tired of everyone using abbreviations as much as they do. Maybe a few of them are no-brainers (LT) but much of the time I find myself wasting several minutes on a thread trying to figure out who these people are. Is it really that hard to use a first initial and last name?
:kicksrock: Also note that I really don't care for the LT thing either. There already was an LT. You'd think the best running back in the NFL could get a better nickname than his initials that he has to share with the best linebacker of all time. People are too lazy to type Tomlinson or LaDainian I guess.now where's that point to the shirt icon....

Currently the poll is pretty evenly split with 29 who don't have a problem with "AD" and 34 who could do without it. I'm surprised that there are only slight more disapproving than approving at this point.

geoff8695 said:
Currently the poll is pretty evenly split with 29 who don't have a problem with "AD" and 34 who could do without it. I'm surprised that there are only slight more disapproving than approving at this point.
:lmao: Why does this really bother you? Why shouldn't he be allowed to bring over his nickname into the NFL/FFL world? Pacman Jones kept his nickname from before, and FBG called him that even though he didn't "eat up" any WRs on the NFL level. Same with Cadillac Williams. AD has had this nickname longer than any of those guys, I think it's OK.Anyway, you know AD isn't supposed to ACTUALLY stand for Adrian Peterson anyway right?

geoff8695 said:
:thumbdown: Why does this really bother you? Why shouldn't he be allowed to bring over his nickname into the NFL/FFL world? Pacman Jones kept his nickname from before, and FBG called him that even though he didn't "eat up" any WRs on the NFL level. Same with Cadillac Williams. AD has had this nickname longer than any of those guys, I think it's OK.Anyway, you know AD isn't supposed to ACTUALLY stand for Adrian Peterson anyway right?
I may have been a little too hard on the nickname. I may think 'all day' is kind of lame, but it's not among the worst I've ever heard. Willie Mays is an all time great in baseball, but as awesome as he was, his nickname was 'the say hey kid' and Karl Malone made the top 50 list of all-time NBA players, but c'mon 'The Mailman'?Anyways, 'AD' is obviously an abbreviation for 'All Day' I understand, I get it. I just think it's dumb. If his last name started with a 'D' I probably wouldn't have complained or started a poll. But as was pointed out earlier, identifying NFL players by their initials can be confusing enough to begin with, and now we are resorting to abbreviating the 'nickname' of a player who hasn't even done anything in the pros yet.Some of you are very enthusiastic about 'AP' and his potential for greatness. Good for you, I personally don't care one way or the other about Peterson's pro career. I'm just annoyed with the all the references to 'AD' and then when someone points out that it's confusing the 'AP' fans come out of the woodwork and :own3d: :jawdrop: :wall: Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old bastage. :lmao:

He got the nickname in high school. It's not like he started calling himself that once he was drafted.
It's not the nickname that's the problem here. Call him 'All Day' all day long if you like. but when you post about Adrian Peterson and only refer to him as 'AD' it can get to be annoying or confusing to some (a little over 50% of those not choosing the Smoo option so far in the poll).

He got the nickname in high school. It's not like he started calling himself that once he was drafted.
It's not the nickname that's the problem here. Call him 'All Day' all day long if you like. but when you post about Adrian Peterson and only refer to him as 'AD' it can get to be annoying or confusing to some (a little over 50% of those not choosing the Smoo option so far in the poll).
Honestly, I really don't care, dude can let people call him what they want, but i did think the reason you allowed others to use your initials was because your name is diffilcult in some way. Sorry, it is not more effort to say "All Day" versus "AD"

Nicknames are constantly changing/evolving, and that is why they are great. If his nickname has evolved from "All Day", and is now "AD", what is the big deal? What other players would someone be talking about when they post about "AD"? Antone Davis? I mean really, I don't understand where all this outrage comes from about this. By now, when someone refers to a Minnesota RB as "AD", you should really be able to deduce that it is Adrian Peterson.

Yeah, I didn't even vote in your poll. It's kinda silly. You're acting like a little girl. You should just stop now.
I agree. I don't get the blow back on a nickname (and I speak of AD, not All Day) that has been used by the media, by his teammates, fans, coaches, friends and family since he was in high school. Word got out his dad called him All Day, but that was quickly abbreviated to AD. If anything bugs me it's people using AP as if his initials are his nickname. They're not.

If you frequent a FF board and are confused by it at this point, you should just shoot yourself.

The only drawback for Peterson owners will be if indeed he is a bust. AD will quickly become an abbreviation for After Death instead of All Day. GLTA.

While we're at it, we really need to work on that stupid, little periodic table. Freakin' Pb and Au? Screw Latin. Come on, people. It's time for a change! I'm confused as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread