What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I recommended a buddy to the league (1 Viewer)

kerpow

Footballguy
I've been in a 10 team league for 4 years and before this season started we'd discussed expanding it to 12. The 11th guy had played in the league in place of one of the other owners for one season. I suggested a GB of mine joined to be the 12th.

GB is a sports nut and I know he's played FF at work as we've discussed general strategy several times over the years. On draft day he turned up despite having had to unexpectedly work for 28 hours straight (he's at JP Morgan and they had had some "problems"). Despite looking terrible, everyone gave him kudos for turning up after what must have been a harrowing day and night of work.

He drafted really well and went 4-0. After that he didn't make any roster changes, left in guys on bye and seemingly went AWOL. I sent him an email after week 5 and he said he'd been moving house and was just really busy. Not too busy to check in on Facebook every day, mind you.

By last week a couple of the guys in the league are getting really pissed as playing him is essentially an automatic win and has unbalanced the league.

The commish tries emailing him, no change. I email him again, no answer. I just sent him a message via Facebook figuring he can't miss that saying his team will be locked on sunday.

So, I'm feeling like a tool for recommending him to the league.

What do I do? Obviously I've apologised to the commish by saying I genuinely believed he'd be a great owner. Should I make more of a gesture like give up my playoff berth if I make it in?

I've been in a 10 team league for 4 years and before this season started we'd discussed expanding it to 12. The 11th guy had played in the league in place of one of the other owners for one season. I suggested a GB of mine joined to be the 12th. GB is a sports nut and I know he's played FF at work as we've discussed general strategy several times over the years. On draft day he turned up despite having had to unexpectedly work for 28 hours straight (he's at JP Morgan and they had had some "problems"). Despite looking terrible, everyone gave him kudos for turning up after what must have been a harrowing day and night of work.He drafted really well and went 4-0. After that he didn't make any roster changes, left in guys on bye and seemingly went AWOL. I sent him an email after week 5 and he said he'd been moving house and was just really busy. Not too busy to check in on Facebook every day, mind you. By last week a couple of the guys in the league are getting really pissed as playing him is essentially an automatic win and has unbalanced the league.The commish tries emailing him, no change. I email him again, no answer. I just sent him a message via Facebook figuring he can't miss that saying his team will be locked on sunday.So, I'm feeling like a tool for recommending him to the league. What do I do? Obviously I've apologised to the commish by saying I genuinely believed he'd be a great owner. Should I make more of a gesture like give up my playoff berth if I make it in?
No dude. Why the heck would YOU give up a play-off berth if you made it because your friend turned tool? Look man, you can't ever know what you're gonna get out of a guy unless you've played in a league with him for a handful of years and know you can count on him (or her for that matter these days). Even then, you don't know what you're going to get.The league wanted to expand, it needed a guy and you as a trusted valued member tried to bring a guy in. You apologized (profusely I assume) and continue to be a quality member so move on.Chit happens. I'd probably cut the guy off for making me look like a fool, but who knows, maybe the guy has a reason. Doubtful if he's on Facebook nightly but who knows man.Happens all the time.

Exactly how much of a GB is this guy? He sounds like some random that you met that you happen to have had a couple of conversations about fantasy football with.

Exactly how much of a GB is this guy? He sounds like some random that you met that you happen to have had a couple of conversations about fantasy football with.
I don't see him as much as I used to but I've known him for at least 5 years. Last hooked up in July.

You guys are bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Seriously man, move on. You gave it a shot and you said you were sorry. You didn't ask the guy to morph into a jerk (or reveal that he was one all along).

I do echo the question of the poster who asked how "good" a buddy this clown was prior to this.

Edited to Add: Did this guy just get a new girlfriend or something? I have one buddy who absolutely used to go AWOL when he got a new girl. He's married now so we never see him at all (though he still shows up for draft day each and every year and plays his rear off season after season).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread