What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I think this one takes the cake (My trade vetoed by lame commish) (1 Viewer)

Some of you are being hard on the OP. After a few responses he quickly admitted that was grateful for the responses and said he was only seeing this from his perspective. OP seems like a decent person who was trying to improve his team within the confines of league rules. I see nothing wrong with what OP did. 
Agreed. I appreciate that he was stand up about it instead of digging in his heels and getting defensive like we've seen in the past when these threads don't go the way the OP thought they would.

I offered brady straight up. The other owner countered with Brady & OBJ for brown. I accepted. This the #### storm in here about me not having integrity by accepting it.
It's ironic because those same people would be telling someone to "accept that trade now" if it were, let's say 3 weeks ago someone offering Kelce for Cohen. Yeah, maybe it was a little bad form for you to jump at it, but it's not your fault. The guy wants to throw his $100 away and not know the rules, not your problem. 

Interesting side note: Commish vetoed the trade and a #### storm started in the league message board that I have completely stayed out of. Owners basically saying even have vetoes is dumb (I agree), owners asking why it was vetoed and than telling the commish he's a moron for bailing out a league member for not knowing the rules that have been in place for 12 years, were stated at the draft, and are available via word document sent out before the season & on the yahoo website. 
best you do. Glad to see others think this is unfair as well. I see both sides and both are right. If I were commish I'd probably say, well you know the rules, not my fault. But that's the kind of commish I was/am. I have no sympathy for the stupid/lazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady for ABryant shouldn’t have been vetoed by the commish or league-members or however your league does it.
It was Antonio Brown.

ETA: Not that that should be vetoed either if both parties agreed to it. Here I wouldn't call it a veto though - commish was correcting an error (whether that is right or wrong is up for debate of course).

It was Antonio Brown.

ETA: Not that that should be vetoed either if both parties agreed to it. Here I wouldn't call it a veto though - commish was correcting an error (whether that is right or wrong is up for debate of course).
 Sorry, ABrown… I was thinking of Martavis Bryant because I just benched him for the week  in one league 

fixed!

For all the typos it has produced over the years, it occurs to me that if you conflated Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant in real life, the player that resulted would actually resemble Antonio Bryant...

It's ironic because those same people would be telling someone to "accept that trade now" if it were, let's say 3 weeks ago someone offering Kelce for Cohen. Yeah, maybe it was a little bad form for you to jump at it, but it's not your fault. The guy wants to throw his $100 away and not know the rules, not your problem. 

best you do. Glad to see others think this is unfair as well. I see both sides and both are right. If I were commish I'd probably say, well you know the rules, not my fault. But that's the kind of commish I was/am. I have no sympathy for the stupid/lazy
 And if this guy’s handle was “Vikings_junkie”  you may have judged him more harshly as well. :lol:  

The big deal is that the commissioner is probably the one who stepped in and talked him out of the deal, when he probably should have kept his mouth shut.
 On that point I definitely side with the OP I think the deal was fair on the commission should have either one, kept his nose out of it, or two,  modified the deal to remove ODB  and make it a simple 1 for 1.

Possibly with a note to the trade recipient of Brady saying, “good time to learn the rules.”

tough love 

On that point I definitely side with the OP I think the deal was fair on the commission should have either one, kept his nose out of it, or two,  modified the deal to remove ODB  and make it a simple 1 for 1.

Possibly with a note to the trade recipient of Brady saying, “good time to learn the rules.”

tough love 
The more I think about this one, the more I keep seeing it from different perspectives. It's a tough one... and, definitely makes me not want to ever be a commissioner in a league! Ha!

In some leagues, the commish reviews all trades and this is a known fact for everybody.  It is like that in both my leagues.  Here I actually agree with the commish.  I would find it very difficult to keep track of when certain players are coming up for non - keeper status when there is a four year stint with it, especially when you can keep anyone drafted.  This is what the commish is for.  You tried to pull a fast one, I would be embarrassed if I were you because that is low. 

Very very good points. 

Interesting side note: Commish vetoed the trade and a #### storm started in the league message board that I have completely stayed out of. Owners basically saying even have vetoes is dumb (I agree), owners asking why it was vetoed and than telling the commish he's a moron for bailing out a league member for not knowing the rules that have been in place for 12 years, were stated at the draft, and are available via word document sent out before the season & on the yahoo website. 
Good man (or woman).  High Road >>>>> High Horse.

Hopefully your leaguemates will note that you're being cool about it, and will be more willing to work with you on an alternative Brady trade.

And frankly the first guy should be thinking up a reasonable "make good" deal.  Brown for Brady plus a little something not too painful.

In some leagues, the commish reviews all trades and this is a known fact for everybody.  It is like that in both my leagues.  Here I actually agree with the commish.  I would find it very difficult to keep track of when certain players are coming up for non - keeper status when there is a four year stint with it, especially when you can keep anyone drafted.  This is what the commish is for.  You tried to pull a fast one, I would be embarrassed if I were you because that is low. 
If I'm understanding correctly, ALL players become non-keepers at the same time... every 4 years is a complete re-draft of the league.

Still possible to lose track of, but it's not like each individual player has his own expiration date.

If I'm understanding correctly, ALL players become non-keepers at the same time... every 4 years is a complete re-draft of the league.

Still possible to lose track of, but it's not like each individual player has his own expiration date.
 That’s my impression too. Every four years the slate is wiped clean and they draft fresh. 

I feel like situations like this are precisely why leagues need a commish.

The grey areas. This was an obvious case of an owner making an ill informed decision, and the commish decided to step in. I don't think its unfair for the commish to do so.

I would not have considered it egregious for the commish to let it stand either, but I think it probably serves your league better overall for someone to step in when another owner has been taken advantage of due to some confusion about rules. Not that its not that owners responsibility to know, but in the future they will, and they will likely stay in the league. Which is better, in most cases.
I disagree.  No trade should be vetoed if both teams entered into the deal with the intent that it was in their teams best interest.  
Just because an owner was unaware of the rules is not an excuse for making a mistake.  Youve all heard the saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."  It is the responsibility of every owner to know the rules of their league, if they dont then that is on them.   A trade was offered and accepted. Lesson learned.  End of story.  
Actions have consequences.  One owner didnt know the rules... well guess what?  Now they do.   I bet they dont make that mistake again.

Yea I accepted. Ive been in the league 4 years. Most of these guys 10+... Its not my fault Owner doesnt know the rules. They're pretty damn clear. 

Do you stop a live draft when a guy drafts a second qb in the 3rd round thinking he can start 2? Or flex 1? Let him re-pick? 

Give me a break.
No, but we stop a draft when a guy drafts a player on IR, or out of the league, or in one case- DEAD.  It's called league integrity. Get you some.

I think there's another point to this scenario people are missing (that I saw, anyway). You've been in this league for several years and you only know a handful of people? If it was a good buddy of yours, would you have had the same discussions over a beer? Or did the anonymity of the league make it easier to not really worry about what the other guy is thinking? 

There is no right or wrong answer as to whether the commish did the right thing. Depends on the league. Some are "rules are rules" leagues and their rulebook is like an old telephone book.

(Kids, we used to get these huge books dropped off at our house with everyone's phone numbers in them. We didn't carry them around, though). 

Other leagues are more like "we're having fun here, guys" and those leagues cut people a little slack when it's obvious there was a misunderstanding. Only you know which league you're in.

My advice is always to not make any decisions about quitting the league until the offseason. What seems like a huge deal now might be something to shrug off in a few months. Maybe the solution is to get to know the owners a little better. A long-standing league isn't easy to find, so make the most of it. Good luck.

No, but we stop a draft when a guy drafts a player on IR, or out of the league, or in one case- DEAD.  It's called league integrity. Get you some.
Thats hilarious that you stop the draft if a someone drafts a guy on IR or someone not on a team...... I can't imagine many leagues ( I know none that I enjoy) would do that. Has nothing to do with integrity. 

I disagree.  No trade should be vetoed if both teams entered into the deal with the intent that it was in their teams best interest.  
Just because an owner was unaware of the rules is not an excuse for making a mistake.  Youve all heard the saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."  It is the responsibility of every owner to know the rules of their league, if they dont then that is on them.   A trade was offered and accepted. Lesson learned.  End of story.  
Actions have consequences.  One owner didnt know the rules... well guess what?  Now they do.   I bet they dont make that mistake again.
There is this thing about being a decent human being.  Besides, I wouldn't enjoy ill_gotten players.

The big deal is that the commissioner is probably the one who stepped in and talked him out of the deal, when he probably should have kept his mouth shut.
I have now learned that this is exactly what happened. The more I think about it- the more it pisses me off. 

It wasnt vetoed. It was reversed by the person the owners placed in charge of the league.

As I said in my reply you quoted, I wouldve been fine with it either way. The reason I am also fine with him reversing it is I understand that trying to keep the atmosphere of the league fun as well as competitive is important.

We had an owner in one of my redraft leagues the other day who meant to drop Cin Def, accidentally dropped Gio. He realized what he did, messaged the commish, explained what had happened. During this time, I had put in a bid on Gio and was going to be awarded him. The commish fixed the issue, and re added gio to his roster and dropped the intended player.

I was fine with it. In your world, I assume you would say "too bad". Well it was his mistake, but things happen and the commish used their discretion and decided it wasnt some tactic, and it should be rectified. Thats his job, imo. Similar to what happened in the OP.

I have now learned that this is exactly what happened. The more I think about it- the more it pisses me off. 
While I agree that you didn't do anything wrong, there's a third perspective that no one has mentioned. The owners competing against you have the right to compete on a fair playing field.  If owner A  in last place dropped all his players thinking the rules allowed him to keep any free agents for 4 years and owner B who is in 2nd place happened to be online at the time and scooped up 8 really good players wouldn't you as first place owner C have a right to want this move reversed?

This is what happens when people forget we are playing magic football.

It pisses you off that the commish is looking out for the integrity of the league rather than allowing mistakes like this to ruin the league and make everyone quit?

Alrighty.

Yea- it pisses me off that the commish has to hold this owners hand and explain them rules as we go- even though they have played by the same set of rules for 12 years.

Pwingles said:
It wasnt vetoed. It was reversed by the person the owners placed in charge of the league.

As I said in my reply you quoted, I wouldve been fine with it either way. The reason I am also fine with him reversing it is I understand that trying to keep the atmosphere of the league fun as well as competitive is important.

We had an owner in one of my redraft leagues the other day who meant to drop Cin Def, accidentally dropped Gio. He realized what he did, messaged the commish, explained what had happened. During this time, I had put in a bid on Gio and was going to be awarded him. The commish fixed the issue, and re added gio to his roster and dropped the intended player.

I was fine with it. In your world, I assume you would say "too bad". Well it was his mistake, but things happen and the commish used their discretion and decided it wasnt some tactic, and it should be rectified. Thats his job, imo. Similar to what happened in the OP.
In this situation I would allow the player to fix the mistaken drop and get Gio back as long as he contacted the Commissioner  in a timely fashion.  Mistakes happen.  (There are times I dont want to "reject" a trade offer because I might accidentally hit the "accept" when using my phone because they are right next to each other).

Not sure i have ever used this phrase in my life, but it applies very well here.  Here it goes.....you sound butt hurt 

10 team $100 buy-in league. I know commish really well. Only know probably 3 or 4 of the other 9 guys in the league. This is my 4th year but its been around probably a decade.

Tiered keeper system where basically you can keep guys for the round you picked them + all free agents are last round picks but the keepers reset every 4 years.

So I was able to keep OBJ the last four years for a 16th round pick-- its helped me win the league obviously. Other guys like David Johnson were in the same boat.

Anyways-- the rules have been this way since I joined the league-- EVERYONE should have known that after this year- keeper reset (its a fresh draft next year)

Back to topic at hand:

I have Brady & Deshaun watson-- so I start flinging out offers last week for WRs to replace Odell using them as my bait.

I offered Brady straight up for all the top tier wrs from AB all the way to Jordy/Michael Thomas types.

I get a counter offer tuesday night around midnight of Brady + OBJ for Antonio Brown. I instantly accept.

Last night about 6 pm I get a text from the commish (my buddy) who says "Owner you traded with thought he could keep OBJ therefor I am vetoing the trade at his request"

Im not a very confrontational person so I simply replied "Thats a complete joke-- all owners know the rules... or they should- thats not my problem"

Anyways, Im a nuts to think this moronic owner who probably drafted 1/2 his players and made free agent moves thinking that guys can be kept shouldn't be forced to continue on with the trade he proposed?? 

Id love thoughts-- suggestions-- ideas!!

And yes-- I will more than likely not playing in this league next year w/ lame owners who don't even know the rules. 
Not the comments you're looking for but....

I hate tiered keeper systems and the round they're drafted crap... Yes,I realize this is a widely accepted practice but it creates wildly inconsistent valuations like OBJ or DJ for last round picks.  Is it that complicated to just keep your x best players?

Also, why reset every 5 years?  Is this to correct some fundamental flaw in the league setup (see previous remark)?

That being said, the guy made a mistake, I'd let it go.   Plus,you knew OBJ had no value when you made the deal.

Is the commissioner God or something? 

Trade got offered to you and it's not collusion. 

It ought to be set up to where at least it's a vote if there are trade vetoes. 
The commissioner is more powerful than God - both in the NFL and my fantasy leagues (just ask my wife).

If owner A  in last place dropped all his players thinking the rules allowed him to keep any free agents for 4 years and owner B who is in 2nd place happened to be online at the time and scooped up 8 really good players wouldn't you as first place owner C have a right to want this move reversed?

Not even remotely analagous to the topic.

The mistake is on the other guy. He offered the trade.  If you offered it, it would be completely different. 

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I feel everyone should be responsible to manage their own team within the agreed upon rules. If I was the other owner, I might have beaten myself up for making such a move, but I never would have asked the commish to bail me out.

On the other hand, I don't care for it when people try to take advantage of certain kinds of mistakes that others make. This would be one of those kinds of mistakes. For me it feels similar to something all QB's do, but A Rodgers seems better known for. That's getting the ball hiked as some D player is 1 or 2 strides from making off the field so a too many men penalty is called. Yeah, it's per the rules, but I wouldn't feel good about myself for taking advantage of it.

Having a cooling off period after a trade,  something like 1 - 3 hours, where one party could change their mind, could take away the need for the owner to be saved from himself and we could go back to the "no collusion, no trade reversal" stance.

Lastly, I don't recall seeing anything about the other guy's roster. Could it be this trade wasn't so bad, with or without OBJ.

Forgot to mention. I think it's awesome that your league has cake!

I keep coming to this thread hoping there will be cake.   :no:

I’m honestly shocked this has gotten so far past the first response that said to just forgive the guys mistake and let it go.  Sometimes you put aside right and wrong argument and just do the decent thing.  Especially when it comes to something silly like fantasy football. 

You seem to have gotten over it so try to always see the other guys point of view. Years ago someone made me a 1st Rd. Pick offer for Ray Rice, I went to MFL and looked at his pick, the site said he had the #2 pick so I accepted. Turns out MFL was wrong and he had the 11th pick. I appealed to the owners sense of fair play and he refused to reverse the trade. I then went to the league to no avail. The dude was a total Jerk about it and I still think so to this day and would never respond to another offer in any league or any time to this owner. Call me bitter if you want but you don't want someone bitter and thinking your a jerk especially if you do end up staying in that league. Don't be that guy.

Why didn't the guy PM you directly to try and work it out? I'd could deal with that and would almost definitely agree to changing it back after he explained his side to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread