What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I used to wanna be creamated but now I'm just like bury it (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon said:
I don't know
Have someone make some cornhole bags with your ashes mixed in. That way someone in your family can have a keepsake from something you were really good at. Plus maybe some of that mojo would be in those bags.

Magic Bags. 

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I want medical students to dissect me.
careful with this, esp if you get real old. volunteerism was everything to me Ma and the capper on her utilitarian viewpoint was to donate her remains. she got a contract with Dartmouth Medical School as soon as she retired up here almost 30 yrs ago. it was not honored when she passed a coupla yrs ago. they blamed the pandemic but further investigation informs me that many oldsters were denied their final dispensation in this manner. 

careful with this, esp if you get real old. volunteerism was everything to me Ma and the capper on her utilitarian viewpoint was to donate her remains. she got a contract with Dartmouth Medical School as soon as she retired up here almost 30 yrs ago. it was not honored when she passed a coupla yrs ago. they blamed the pandemic but further investigation informs me that many oldsters were denied their final dispensation in this manner. 
This is what my wife has always said she wants done.  This will be a difficult decision to honor if she goes first...

In the beginning of the COVID pandemic, some pathologists were reluctant to deal with bodies without knowing their COVID status.  Where I work, the pathologists ordered saws with vacuum attachments. I'm not sure why they didn't have them before.

There is a need for brain tissue from older people with and without memory problems. There is alot of tissue from people with Alzheimer's Disease, fronto-temporal dementia, and other disorders that cause memory loss; these cases usually have good medical records so neuropathological findings can be related to clinical course. The relatively few brains harvested from older people who die without memory problems or with mild cognitive impairment, are mostly from people enrolled in aging studies, such as the Nun Study, which is "a longitudinal study of 678 Catholic sisters 75 to 107 years of age who are members of the School Sisters of Notre Dame congregation."

Sister Mary, "the gold standard for the Nun Study, was a remarkable woman who had high cognitive test scores before her death at 101 years of age. What is more remarkable is that she maintained this high status despite having abundant neurofibrillary tangles and senile plaques, the classic lesions of Alzheimer's disease." She was relatively free of vascular pathology, like small strokes.

In older people, those over 85, dementia is usually related to multiple pathologies, in addition to Alzheimers plaques and tangles. Some of these pathologies, such as TDP-43, are recently discovered and would not be possible without  brain donations.

A partial list of dementia brain banks: https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/research_progress/brain-donation

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been curious about how a place like Disney with tens of thousands of visitors a day monitors and enforces those who are banned from entry?  Or MLB or NFL, etc.  Facial recognition at the gate?
facial recognition and you also need to scan your finger at the entry gates. Plus as others have said, tons of plain clothes officers. 

As for the act of spreading ashes, they have cameras on every ride, even dark ones, as well as some rides have motion sensors on the outsides of the cars for anyone who might want to try and exit the vehicle. Also, while it would be nice to think grandpa will live on forever with the other "Happy Haunts"  he's more likely to end up inside a shop vac at the end of the night. 

@Godsbrother if I were ever to have my ashes spread anywhere there, it would prob just be discreetly into one of the flower beds of a favorite resort and not in a theme park. 

Socrates11 said:
Used to be very pro cremation but moving towards being buried in a burlap sack under a sapling tree. I decompose and feed the tree. Sounds pretty cool.
Perhaps a Hemlock sapling?

Your family may care, so let them know your wishes. It could avoid conflict and cost, if you pre-pay.
If they care then they can do what they want.  Again, I am dead.  What do I care what they do?

(I am somewhat joking and understand that some families may have differing opinions and it becomes an issue and a game of tug of war.  I really don't care but probably go with the cremation as that seems easiest to me).

I've given friends and family instructions on where I want my ashes scattered.  We were drinking at the time so I should probably put that in writing.  ;)  

I thought it was odd that my uncle was cremated, but they still buried the box.  I guess that is a Catholic thing.

My estate has clear instructions on where my ashes are to be scattered. I don’t want to waste space that could be used in much better ways 

This thread is the illustration of what the FBG forums have become.    We used to have yoga pants, who's hottest polls, sharting and poop in the ceiling threads back in our wiley years.   Now we have just succumbed to our deaths.

Godsbrother said:
I don't want people coming to view my body at a funeral home and I don't like the idea of rotting in the ground, taking up valuable real-estate.   Just cremate me and dump my ashes somewhere cool.
Agreed  :hifive:

This thread is the illustration of what the FBG forums have become.    We used to have yoga pants, who's hottest polls, sharting and poop in the ceiling threads back in our wiley years.   Now we have just succumbed to our deaths.
We're all just tired, and it's enough already.

Maybe.

But I'm looking at the thread title and thinking the spelling and syntax are more a double entendre for something we discussed and engaged in much more avidly in the past than we do now, as opposed to a lament on how we will spend our eternity.

Or maybe I'm just a dirty old man.

Socrates11 said:
Used to be very pro cremation but moving towards being buried in a burlap sack under a sapling tree. I decompose and feed the tree. Sounds pretty cool.
This is where I'm leaning.   Unless by then I can choose to be shot into space.   Then I'm going for that.

ask what you want, you’ll never know.  my mom gave me a list of things to do and at the end of the day, i threw out all her crap with 800 got junk and cremated her, cause it was my cheapest option.  like i said, you’ll never know.

Russian Mail Order Bride Drafts  :cry:

Da Guru said:
The good thing is you wont know what they do with your body.
I know you're just kidding, but I'm dealing with this today. Don't have to make decisions, just have to follow instructions. Which makes things easier for everyone.

5 Steps To Make Sure Your Funeral Plans Are Followed

1. Write out your funeral plans apart from your will. ...
  2. Tell your family and share copies of your funeral plans with them. 
  3. Pay for your funeral arrangements ahead of time. 
  4. Create an advance directive.
  5. Assign a durable power of attorney.

My FIL was supposed to be donated to a local medical school, but was denied when the coroner called them to get his body.  We had to scramble and come up with the funds to have him cremated.  They said the school morgue is always full due to so many drug overdoses.  He had only signed up a few years earlier and they would only take people that had been signed up for over 10 to 15 years.

I really don’t care one way or the other - I want to donate my organs to hopefully help some folks and then not be a burden to my family.  Beyond that, not sure why I should care.

I know you're just kidding, but I'm dealing with this today. Don't have to make decisions, just have to follow instructions. Which makes things easier for everyone.

5 Steps To Make Sure Your Funeral Plans Are Followed

1. Write out your funeral plans apart from your will. ...
  2. Tell your family and share copies of your funeral plans with them. 
  3. Pay for your funeral arrangements ahead of time. 
  4. Create an advance directive.
  5. Assign a durable power of attorney.

One of my friends wanted to be cremated..his wife bought a plot and buried him..said she did not believe in cremation.

1800 degrees

Two to three hours

(might as well knock out the two most common Qs up front)
What's the heat source?

How do they avoid contamination of ashes from other people, or does it really matter?

What's AMA and do you know the cost?

My mom was cremated 15 years ago and we spread her ashes per her wishes in a ravine near Franklin NC, where she wanted to retire. All 5 children and my step-dad got some ashes in a little red box. I don't want anyone to get my ashes.

I haven't read the thread but this may be apropos. My mom had a friend that recently passed. She had herself cremated, then had her ashes put in to a fireworks display. It seemed fairly unique and it was really quite beautiful. She was that kind of person. Always a very positive person, adventurous, etc.

What's the heat source?

Think I saw natural gas lines. There were six furnaces.

How do they avoid contamination of ashes from other people, or does it really matter?

Not sure. As I understand it the cremains are very fine. Do they vacuum after they sweep? New vacuum bag fir each person? IDK

We had a brief service. I was going to say graveside but maybe fireside is more apt.

Back wall opened up, and two crematorium workers in coveralls rolled the casket away. After a few minutes they invited the widow and children if they wanted to view him being put in the furnace. We walked to the back of the building and stood at a glass wall. Upon being signaled the cremators/workers pushed the casket ⚰️ size inside. The furnace appeared to have a black metal interior door. The outside furnace doors were corrugated stainless steel, closed from the top & the bottom. Dude hit the red button to fire it up.

Should be done by 3pm. They’ll put him in an urn and put him in the case. It’s like 18” x 30” with a glass exterior.

What's AMA and do you know the cost?

AMA - ask me anything…

They bought a $6-7K package. I believe the incendiary portion was like 10%….guessing, they had like 8 packages but not à la carte.
My mom was cremated 15 years ago and we spread her ashes per her wishes in a ravine near Franklin NC, where she wanted to retire. All 5 children and my step-dad got some ashes in a little red box. I don't want anyone to get my ashes.
Sorry was almost done answering but lengthy luncheon

I’m nominating friends and family, each with 1/7 of my ashes, to go spread them on every continent. I’m trying to get to all of them before I die, 2 to go yet. I just absolutely love traveling and think it would be cool to have my ashes all over the world.

I’m also leaving them all money so they can have a first class trip to their designated country while doing it.

How much is it roughly?   Never really thought about it or looked into it. 

Has to be exponentially cheaper than all the embalming, makeup, dress up, fancy casket, transportation to cemetery, tombstone purchase, burial ceremony nonsense.
I just had my father cremated. $2,000

Edit: I supplied the urn

my massive claustophobia means no chance I wanna be buried.  Huge fear of being that 1 in 100 million person that wakes up alive later.  Chop my head off, throw me off a bridge and get on with your life.

my massive claustophobia means no chance I wanna be buried.  Huge fear of being that 1 in 100 million person that wakes up alive later.  Chop my head off, throw me off a bridge and get on with your life.
not sure how we got there, but I like it. Done.

IMO, it's more important how you go out than where you end up.

"When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did.   Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car."

Users who are viewing this thread