What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I voted for Gary Johnson (1 Viewer)

God I wanted to vote for Johnson.  But ever since I voted for Perot running Independent years ago, I just can't vote for a 3rd player in the race until a stronger 3rd party develops.

I commend those of you that voted with your heart with Johnson.  I felt dirty voting for Trump (but less dirty than voting for Hillary).

I think it's sad for women that Hillary will be the first woman president.  She's definitely an insider and will probably do fine since really the position of President is highly overrated in it's importance.  But I've had friends work directly for her.  They say she's a really awful person.
A stronger 3rd party won't develop until more people start voting for them. :thumbdown:

Oh well. Way short of 5%
This was the biggest disappointment to me from the election. I already had my funeral and mourning weeks ago in regards that I can't stand Trump or Hillary. One of them was going to win and I made my peace with that conclusion.

I was really hanging my hat on the Libs getting 5% so that we could get a 3rd party into the mix on equal footing.  :kicksrock:

Buzzbait said:
This was the biggest disappointment to me from the election. I already had my funeral and mourning weeks ago in regards that I can't stand Trump or Hillary. One of them was going to win and I made my peace with that conclusion.

I was really hanging my hat on the Libs getting 5% so that we could get a 3rd party into the mix on equal footing.  :kicksrock:
Its a massive jump from less than 1% in 2012 to 3.2%; 1.3mil votes to over 4mil.  Badnarik and Barr ('04 and '08) each got about a half million votes. Its no where near Ross Perot getting nearly 20%, but still  a pretty big step forward for the party.

Its a massive jump from less than 1% in 2012 to 3.2%; 1.3mil votes to over 4mil.  Badnarik and Barr ('04 and '08) each got about a half million votes. Its no where near Ross Perot getting nearly 20%, but still  a pretty big step forward for the party.
I don't know, the circumstances will never be more ripe for Libertarians than they were during this cycle with the poor choice of major party candidates. Well, at least I hope the circumstances will never be this good again. 

Definitely, but I think the assumption is that either the Democrats or the Republicans will nominate a reasonable candidate in 2020 and it will be harder for the Libertarians to get votes in that situation. Not sure we'll see two candidates so disliked for a while.

Two California votes (wife and I) for Johnson!
I voted Clinton here in FL in a vote-swap with cstu.  Our goal was to help the anti-Trump movement by casting my Clinton votes in a battleground state and helping Johnson get to 5% in a Clinton slam-dunk state.  Mission accomplished !  Ummmm......

I don't know, the circumstances will never be more ripe for Libertarians than they were during this cycle with the poor choice of major party candidates. Well, at least I hope the circumstances will never be this good again. 
That's one way to look at it and hard to disagree, but an optimist may also see a trend of sorts - from the Harry Browne years hovering around 100k votes, two bad candidates getting about 500k each in '04 and '08, to a reasonably likeable if a bit goofy Gary Johnson getting 1.2 then 4 million votes. Looking at the past few elections, there's really no reason to assume the major parties will produce attractive popular candidates in 4 years time.

Husband and I both voted for Johnson in FL. My cousin in PA was so mad that FL went to trump. Called all us third party people idiots. ThenPA went trump. How bad does the democrat have to be to not carry PA. 

I think the third party voters get a pass.  It's hard to see how anyone can pin Florida in particular on Johnson.  He got 2.2% there in a race where we always knew the libertarians would take some votes.  Trump won Florida because 49.1% of the voters there voted for him.  I don't see any evidence that the 2.2% who ended up voting for Johnson would have broken 100% to Hillary when the 8% of so who at one time considered Johnson seemed to break overwhelmingly to Trump.  Heck, by one exit poll 17% of voters favored policies to the left of Obama.  25% of them broke to Trump somehow.

Hillary pretty much hit her polling percentages most places.  That wasn't the issue.  The issue was affirmative support for Trump (and low turnout in general). 

I was shocked when I took an online quiz back in the primary stages and it matched me with Johnson.  So I tried another one and got the same result.  I didn't expect that, but it sure felt good to vote for neither Trump nor Hillary, while knowing I was actually voting for the candidate who matched my views the best.

I had voted Republican the last three presidential elections, but I just can't abide their denial of climate change and social stances any more.  I never really knew what Libertarian was exactly, but I'm a fiscal conservative, social liberal - which matches Johnson.  My understanding is that Johnson is a fairly moderate Libertarian, though - I'm not sure if I match up with the party as a whole.

I was shocked when I took an online quiz back in the primary stages and it matched me with Johnson.  So I tried another one and got the same result.  I didn't expect that, but it sure felt good to vote for neither Trump nor Hillary, while knowing I was actually voting for the candidate who matched my views the best.

I had voted Republican the last three presidential elections, but I just can't abide their denial of climate change and social stances any more.  I never really knew what Libertarian was exactly, but I'm a fiscal conservative, social liberal - which matches Johnson.  My understanding is that Johnson is a fairly moderate Libertarian, though - I'm not sure if I match up with the party as a whole.
Yeah, I had to take it 4 or 5 times before it matched me with Johnson.  ;)

God I wanted to vote for Johnson.  But ever since I voted for Perot running Independent years ago, I just can't vote for a 3rd player in the race until a stronger 3rd party develops.

I commend those of you that voted with your heart with Johnson.  I felt dirty voting for Trump (but less dirty than voting for Hillary).

I think it's sad for women that Hillary will be the first woman president.  She's definitely an insider and will probably do fine since really the position of President is highly overrated in it's importance.  But I've had friends work directly for her.  They say she's a really awful person.
This is really close to my opinion until it comes to the actual vote. Johnson was a really worthless 3rd party candidate. i'm not even sure he wanted to win. He was as lazy as they get as far as a campaigner. As hard as I tried to like him, he never gave me the opportunity.  After reading most of the posts, it seems many agreed. They voted for Johnson to avoid voting for the others, rather than for anything Johnson was for. Had I voted for Johnson, it truly would have felt like a wasted vote.

I think the third party voters get a pass.  It's hard to see how anyone can pin Florida in particular on Johnson.  He got 2.2% there in a race where we always knew the libertarians would take some votes.  Trump won Florida because 49.1% of the voters there voted for him.  I don't see any evidence that the 2.2% who ended up voting for Johnson would have broken 100% to Hillary when the 8% of so who at one time considered Johnson seemed to break overwhelmingly to Trump.  Heck, by one exit poll 17% of voters favored policies to the left of Obama.  25% of them broke to Trump somehow.

Hillary pretty much hit her polling percentages most places.  That wasn't the issue.  The issue was affirmative support for Trump (and low turnout in general). 
I got very annoyed with MSNBC when they were spewing off that the ~2% of Johnson voters who chose him over Hillary cost her the election and were effectively cowards.

having voted for Johnson in this thread if you had to vote Trump or Clinton who would you have voted for.

no way I'd have voted for Hillary.   I would have held my nose and cast with Trump.

I got very annoyed with MSNBC when they were spewing off that the ~2% of Johnson voters who chose him over Hillary cost her the election and were effectively cowards.

having voted for Johnson in this thread if you had to vote Trump or Clinton who would you have voted for.

no way I'd have voted for Hillary.   I would have held my nose and cast with Trump.
No crap.  If I didn't vote Johnson, it wouldn't have been Clinton.

Stein or McMullen.

Registered republican in CA (who feels like the republican party has moved so far in the wrong direction that they're not really my party anymore), voted Johnson.  If I was forced to choose between Clinton and Trump, I would've chose Clinton (but wouldn't have felt good about it).   My vote was never going to make a difference in California and my only hope was that if enough people showed their dissatisfaction with both the Dems and Repubs, we might see some change like when Perot forced Bill Clinton to actually balance the budget in the 90s.  I'm not sure my vote had the desired effect, but I'm proud of my vote, which is more than I could say than if I voted for either Hillary or Trump.

I find it funny that they blamed the 200K Johnson voters when there were millions of registered FL voters who didn't vote.

I honestly still couldn't say who I would have voted for had I not voted Johnson.  I was stuck on him months ago when the primaries were over.  This was my nightmare election from the moment I heard Trump was serious about running.  The only two people in the entire field who should have both been disqualified from the office.  Crazy time.

Is there a limit to how early someone can start campaigning?  If not, someone should hire the best social media minds out there and start now. It would cost little, and would pay off huge. I'm sure the corrupted system of old f*cks have figured out how to stop it though. 

Giant Meteor 2020

Users who are viewing this thread