What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Manning or Brady went down tommorow... (1 Viewer)

If Brady is declared out for the season (including playoffs) tomorrow how well would New England do

• Crash and burn, write off the rest of the season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Competetive, but miss the playoffs.

• Playoff bound, but not very deep.

• Still Super Bowl contenders.

• Total voters

Pskov1420

Footballguy
Please, no-one try to turn this into a Manning vs Brady flame war. We all know how much fun they are.

My gut feeling is that both teams would obviously be very hard hit by the loss and both would miss the playoffs, even from a 4-0 start. However I think that while Indy would struggle to win two games the rest of the year, NE's defence would at least keep them in a a few tight ones on a more consistent basis. I believe that Matt Cassell is also regarded highly in the Pats organization (although until he sees the field who knows?), whereas I am a bit less confident in Jim Sorgi (again though, until he starts a few games its just guesswork).

My guess: Indy 6-10, NE 8-8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, no-one try to turn this into a Manning vs Brady flame war. We all know how much fun they are.My gut feeling is that both teams would obviously be very hard hit by the loss and both would miss the playoffs, even from a 4-0 start. However I think that while Indy would struggle to win two games the rest of the year, NE's defence would at least keep them in a a few tight ones on a more consistent basis. I believe that Matt Cassell is also regarded highly in the Pats organization (although until he sees the field who knows?), whereas I am a bit less confident in Jim Sorgi (again though, until he starts a few games its just guesswork).My guess: Indy 6-10, NE 8-8.
Are you kidding - I could throw to wayne and harrison with all the time in the world. Kidding aside, with that offense even Sorgi could get them to the playoffs, not superbowl but playoffs.

Please, no-one try to turn this into a Manning vs Brady flame war. We all know how much fun they are.My gut feeling is that both teams would obviously be very hard hit by the loss and both would miss the playoffs, even from a 4-0 start. However I think that while Indy would struggle to win two games the rest of the year, NE's defence would at least keep them in a a few tight ones on a more consistent basis. I believe that Matt Cassell is also regarded highly in the Pats organization (although until he sees the field who knows?), whereas I am a bit less confident in Jim Sorgi (again though, until he starts a few games its just guesswork).My guess: Indy 6-10, NE 8-8.
Are you kidding - I could throw to wayne and harrison with all the time in the world. Kidding aside, with that offense even Sorgi could get them to the playoffs, not superbowl but playoffs.
I think that Manning is a huge component of that offense. Aside from his abilities as a passer, his reading of the defense and his leadership, he is essentially the true offensive coordinator of that team, imho. Knows the playbook inside out, regulary calls his own plays at the line of scrimmage, can run the no-huddle all game like clockwork. I am fairly confident in saying that Sorgi, years learning the system as a backup or not, couldn't replicate what Manning does for them.

6-10 and 8-8?

These are not two teams being carried by their QBs. These are two outstanding teams with two outstanding QBs. Even if the QBs go down, there's too much talent on each of these teams for either of them to be 6-10 or 8-8. Both would still be playoff bound, possibly even superbowl contenders.

Trent Dilfer won the superbowl with the Ravens in '00 with worse offensive players than Cassel would have in New England. Although the Pats defense prob isn't as good as the '00 Ravens, they are still a top 3 defense this year. I don't see why the Pats would not be superbowl contenders still even if brady goes down.

Assuming no other significant injuries, New England would get further, I'll say playoffs but not deep. Indy would miss the playoffs I think. Manning is a huge part of the offense, Brady is great, but the Patriots would find a way to get by as long as Cassell could manage a game, as I think he could.

Perhaps, but the same should be said about a motivated Randy Moss, Watson, and Welker.

if you can get the ball to wayne and harrison than be my guest. Manning hasn't been able to do it yet this year :rolleyes:

The Colts would be screwed. Manning IS the offensive coordinator on the field; they're unstoppable in large part to him putting them in good situations with his audibles. Sorgi would be a huge dropoff IMO. Opposing defenses fear of Manning is what makes the running game so successful. He's seen every defense and has a counter for it almost all the time. You'd see just how special Manning is if you had to watch Sorgi pilot that offense IMO.

I think NE would still be a playoff team around Cassel but would definitely miss Brady come playoff time. Not many have been better in the postseason than Brady (Montana MIGHT be the only argument). I think NE's defense is better overall than INDY's and can keep them competive, but it'd be hard to expect anyone to be as good as Brady in the playoffs. I think they'd be better off than the Colts without their star QB but I think eventually it'd catch up to them.

As a fan of the NFL in general, let's hope we never have to find out the answer to this question. It's a lot more fun watching greatness than someone like Trent Dilfer just get by...

Please, no-one try to turn this into a Manning vs Brady flame war. We all know how much fun they are.

My gut feeling is that both teams would obviously be very hard hit by the loss and both would miss the playoffs, even from a 4-0 start. However I think that while Indy would struggle to win two games the rest of the year, NE's defence would at least keep them in a a few tight ones on a more consistent basis. I believe that Matt Cassell is also regarded highly in the Pats organization (although until he sees the field who knows?), whereas I am a bit less confident in Jim Sorgi (again though, until he starts a few games its just guesswork).

if you can get the ball to wayne and harrison than be my guest. Manning hasn't been able to do it yet this year

:mellow:
38 catches between the two of them through 4 games, and thats including harrison's injured game last week. 4 of mannings 8 tds.86/128 for 67.2%

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

if you can get the ball to wayne and harrison than be my guest. Manning hasn't been able to do it yet this year

:thumbup:
38 catches between the two of them through 4 games, and thats including harrison's injured game last week. 4 of mannings 8 tds.86/128 for 67.2%

:shrug:
those numbers would be great if they each had those numbers, but the way it is its not good. Housh has more receptions than them combined. Wayne is the 11 ranked WR Harrison is the 32 ranked WR, which is way below where i projected them before the season started. And they haven't been very consistent in their FF points either.

part of what helps make these defenses so good is the amount of time theyre able to spend on the sidelines resting because both QBs are so friggin' good. I think NE would be a little better off because their D's a little better, but I doubt either would contend. NE might make the playoffs. Indy..no way.

Indy could implode but would sneak in playoffs if they just went 6-6

NE would be still a contender as Cassel is pretty good

part of what helps make these defenses so good is the amount of time theyre able to spend on the sidelines resting because both QBs are so friggin' good. I think NE would be a little better off because their D's a little better, but I doubt either would contend. NE might make the playoffs. Indy..no way.
:goodposting: This is exactly how I see it. New England led by Belicheat would easily make the playoffs in that sorry division.I would seriously doubt that the Colts could hang with Tennessee, Houston and probably even Jacksonville without Peyton. Dungy is steady, but not creative enough to overcome that kind of loss....especially in that division.

The Patriots would probably still manage to go 12-4 as BB would use Cassell in a Roethlisberger circa-04/05 role when he was used sparingly and for the occasional big downfield play. I believe Sorgi would be used in that respect as well, but I feel as though Cassell would be more solid in that area. In either case, the Patriots defense is definitely better than the Colts D as the Pats can actually stop the run if they're missing a couple guys, whereas the Colts lack DTs and if Bob Sanders goes down they're screwed. Colts would probably go 9-7, 10-6, Patriots would go 12-4, 11-5.

Neither team would sniff the playoffs.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If both Manning and Brady were done for the year. Predictions on how the next 12 games would go for both.INDIANAPOLISvs. TB L (4-1)@ Jac L (4-2)@ Car L (4-3)vs. NE W (5-3)@ SD L (5-4)vs. KC W (6-4)@ ATL L (6-5)vs. Jac L (6-6)@ Bal L (6-7)@ Oak L (6-8)vs. Hou L (6-9)vs. Ten L (6-10)A Manning-less Colts team goes 6-10, in the AFC that isn't sniffing the playoff door.NEW ENGLANDvs. Cle L (4-1)@ Dal L (4-2)@ Mia L (4-3)vs. Was L (4-4)@ Ind L (4-5)@ Buf L (4-6)vs. Phi L (4-7)@ Bal L (4-8)vs. Pit L (4-9)vs. NYJ W (5-9)vs. Mia W (6-9)@ NYG L (6-10)A Brady-less Pats team also goes 6-10. Now the Patriots would come closer to winning the division, but I'd think either Buffalo or the Jets could win it at 8-8. I think losing Manning and Brady for the year would be a big downer morale wise. I don't think Sorgi and Cassell could do what Jeff Garcia did last year because the AFC is a lot tougher than NFC teams.

It comes down to schedules. I think both could make the playoffs, Indy would have a tougher road just because the Dolphins, Buffalo, and NYJ are so bad that how can the Pats not win.

I thionk Indy's offense is built aroud timing in the passing game. I have seen Jim Sorgi play, and let me tell you, he is BAD!

I think the Pats have a more rounded team, so I could see a few more wins for them, but still SB contenders ofr either? No way!

Would one sneak into the playoffs? Possibly the Pats

My guess for final records:

Colts- 6-10

Pats- 9-7

Users who are viewing this thread