What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Randy Moss and Welker cant go..... (1 Viewer)

joetrow

Footballguy
Moss and Welker's questionable listing for the game VS Atlanta this sunday may be a Billecheck(sp?) move, trying to keep everyone uninformed. If not though, is Galloway a good reach play this weekend? Old man Galloway grabbed 5 catches for 53 yards last Sunday vs the Jets stingy defense, 0 catches in their first game agianst the Bills. With the Pats throwing the rock 50 times a game, the ball is going to have to go somwhere, and I think a savy vetran like Galloway has the trust of Brady.

Atlanta gave up 308 and a TD to Delhome last week, and we all know Delhome>>>>>>>Brady.

My projection if Moss and Welker can't go.... 9 grabs 120 yrds and a score. Whats your predictions for the NE and ATL game for Galloway if Moss and Welker cant go?? Is it worth having to dump someone off of your roster for a guy that will likely only be a one week FF start?

Edleman is also listed as injured
He's been on the injury report every week. He's the guy to have if Welker can't go but not sure what kind of role he has if Moss is out. Galloway is starting to look his age and I think there is a strong chance Edelman replaces him as the #3 WR if/when everyone is healthy.

Galloway has about as much speed as a statue.
:shrug: :lmao: :confused: I don't think speed has ever been a part that is lacking in Galloway's game. In fact, if there is anything he has going for him, even at his age, is his speed. I don't think you could be further off.

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: I don't think speed has ever been a part that is lacking in Galloway's game. In fact, if there is anything he has going for him, even at his age, is his speed. I don't think you could be further off.
Was fast is not the same as is fast. Galloway is no longer fast. He might be decent but decent is not good enough when you whole game is based on your speed.

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: I don't think speed has ever been a part that is lacking in Galloway's game. In fact, if there is anything he has going for him, even at his age, is his speed. I don't think you could be further off.
Was fast is not the same as is fast. Galloway is no longer fast. He might be decent but decent is not good enough when you whole game is based on your speed.
What makes you say he is no longer fast? Any links supporting this? Watched games where you noticed a significant drop in his speed? Heard or read anything talking about a decline?Everything I read when he was acquired by the Patriots was how they were acquiring a blazing fast WR. I haven't seen a single thing mentioning any loss of speed on his part. So, what are you basing this on? Also, the post to which I responded stated he had as much speed as a statue. Even if he's lost a step or 2, that statement is ridiculous. I didn't claim he's as fast as he's ever been, but the suggestion being made by that statement couldn't be any further from the truth.

:headbang: :bs: :confused: I don't think speed has ever been a part that is lacking in Galloway's game. In fact, if there is anything he has going for him, even at his age, is his speed. I don't think you could be further off.
Posted Joey Galloway-WR- Patriots May. 25 - 12:08 pm et
SI.com's Peter King writes that he's heard Joey Galloway is still "running in the 4.4s" at age 37.

Speed loss is always a concern for aging wideouts, but it's usually because the receiver gains weight. Galloway is as lithe as ever and his legs should be relatively fresh after hardly playing last year. Still, he's not going to be a consistent producer as a third to fourth option in New England.
Posted Joey Galloway-WR- Patriots Aug. 1 - 11:00 am et
Patriots WR Joey Galloway was returning punts at practice yesterday.

Even at age 37, Galloway is one of the faster guys in the league. He's competing with Greg Lewis for the third-receiver job, a battle he should win. If so, he'll see a ton of single-coverage with Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the field as well.
That info is taken from here: Rotoworld pageI've yet to see one link stating anything to the contrary. Speed does NOT seem to be an issue for Galloway and he's definitely faster than a statue (and not slow by any means as was implied by that original comment). His issue has been mostly route running and playbook from what I've seen.

What makes you say he is no longer fast? Any links supporting this? Watched games where you noticed a significant drop in his speed? Heard or read anything talking about a decline?
Without benefit of coaches tape or watching the game live I think it's very difficult to gauge a WR's speed so I will say I rely on what I read more than what I see. To answer your question I've read from multiple sources that Galloway's speed was lost and he was having problems getting separation. I see you have already taken the time to show some links refuting that ,which I appreciate. If I have time I'll try to find links to what I read stating otherwise.

What makes you say he is no longer fast? Any links supporting this? Watched games where you noticed a significant drop in his speed? Heard or read anything talking about a decline?
Without benefit of coaches tape or watching the game live I think it's very difficult to gauge a WR's speed so I will say I rely on what I read more than what I see. To answer your question I've read from multiple sources that Galloway's speed was lost and he was having problems getting separation. I see you have already taken the time to show some links refuting that ,which I appreciate. If I have time I'll try to find links to what I read stating otherwise.
:headbang: I'm basing what I wrote on the same as you--what I read. I hadn't read anything to the contrary but if you have, I'd like to see it and would help in determining if he's a good pickup or not.

Galloway has struggled a ton to grasp the Pats offense. He is not used to an offense that is dynamic and changes on the fly. I really doubt he would have a big game. He and Brady have not clicked at all.

Galloway has struggled a ton to grasp the Pats offense. He is not used to an offense that is dynamic and changes on the fly. I really doubt he would have a big game. He and Brady have not clicked at all.
Then who's the play here? Welker, Moss and Edelman all banged up. Galloway still not clicking with Brady. Who? Watson? Faulk?

Then who's the play here? Welker, Moss and Edelman all banged up. Galloway still not clicking with Brady. Who? Watson? Faulk?
The play is to set your lineup around a half hour before gametime.

At least one of those 3 will play IMO.Most likely 2 of them will.

To me, those would be the play.

Whether Galloway's still got his amazing speed or not isn;t really the most important point here......the bottom line is he's struggling to catch passes and acclimate himself well into the NE offensive scheme. When Julian Edleman can be a plug and play option and do way better than a savvy veteran like Galloway what does that say for Galloway?

If for some shocking reason Moss and Welker don't go the whole passing attack for NE falls apart. Edelman would be the play in PPR leagues for sure, Galloway a major reach at best.

But let's be honest, does anyone honestly think with this being New England that Welker and Moss won't play?? I say 80% chance they are BOTH on the field, 95% Moss plays.

As a Moss owner I'm obviously checking updates right up till kickoff but I'd be shocked if he doesn't go.

I doubt all three of those guys sit. Edelman has been questionable each week so far. I would guess he and Moss play. Welker should be a GTD and could go either way (and may not be a great producer even if he plays).

gianmarco said:
menobrown said:
gianmarco said:
:confused: I'm basing what I wrote on the same as you--what I read. I hadn't read anything to the contrary but if you have, I'd like to see it and would help in determining if he's a good pickup or not.
I could only come up with one link which is from early pre-season and it's when Mike Reiss said Galloway was not getting explosiveness: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...8_11_09/?page=3. Since pre-season I've been following 48 different people on Twitter for fantasy football info and feel very certain I read other negative comments about Galloway but I can't or am not willing to look for those. If this was a court case I'd have to say you submitted far more compelling evidence to support you contention and refute mine. I can't and won't deny that.

The way I feel with Galloway is that he's probably still fairly fast but I just can't see him at 37 being as fast as he was. When you have a player whose entire game is based on speed I think any loss of that trait, no matter how small, can be fairly significant. It's like Allen Iverson. I still consider him fast but he's just not as fast as he used to be and since his entire game was based on being the quickest/fastest guy on the court his game has gone in the crapper despite the fact he's still fast.

If I'm not mistaken the two best seasons a WR over 36 has ever had was Cris Carter followed by Jerry Rice. I think it's worth noting that both of those players games were not based on speed so even though they were not as fast as they once were it was not as impactful to their game as it might be for a WR like Galloway.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderlic score versus other WRs?
Beats me.
I got curious and googled. Galloway scored a 27. For comparison, Crabtree, Harvin and Haywood-Bay all scored in the teens. So he's not a dolt.

Edelman looked great last week - almost Welker like - whats his story and could he be an upside WW pick?

(KFFL) Christopher L. Gasper, of The Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots worked out free-agents WR Larry Beavers (Panthers), Courtney Taylor (Seahawks) and Chris M. Davis (Dolphins). According to the National Football Post, the team also worked out WRs Anthony Armstrong (Dolphins) and Will Franklin (Raiders). Gasper notes the Patriots also had free-agent DT Terdell Sands (Raiders) in town for a workout.

I have read a few articles basically stating this. He just doesn't seem to be a very solid fit. Granted we have a fairly small sample set of him in this offense so who knows really.

Greg Cossel said earlier this week that Galloway is done. I trust what that man says.
Its interesting because there seems to be a war of words going on between established sources (Peter King, etc.) and the tweeterverse (who is Greg Cossel?) on this topic. Some saying he still runs in the 4.4s / still is quick / just taking him a while to adapt to sophisticated Pats offensive schemes to those who are making definitive statements about Galloway being old / slow / washed up / etc.Either way, Weeks 3 and 4 will go a long way to one side or the other being in an I told you so situation.

Users who are viewing this thread