What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you died suddenly, how many people would really miss you? (1 Viewer)

desert rose

Footballguy
There's a lot of talk about your carbon footprint these days. How much of an impact you make on the environment.

But how much of an impact do you make on other people's lives? When they find out you're gone, would they just say, "Hey, I know that guy! I used to work with him." Or would they actually shed some tears and go through a process of grieving for you?

Other than my parents, 3 siblings and their spouses, aunts, uncles and cousins, and a bunch of nieces and nephews, I have maybe a handful of friends who would grieve. I have more friends who would be sad, probably. I'm sure my students would be dancing.

How much of a heart footprint do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 parents

2 grandmothers

2 brothers

~8 co-workers

~20 close friends

I have 7 cousins on my father's side and 3 sets of aunts and uncles. I'm sure they'd also be very sad, but i don't think they'd sit around thinking "God, I miss him"

Everyone else would probably just deal with it

i think about this pretty often actually. i know a fair amount of people, but i wonder just how many would attend my funeral and be legitimately sad.

I agree with Nipsey's assessment ...with that said, I guess my kids, wife and mom. I think I could die without any big deal.

How many people would you really miss if they died suddenly? That number is probably about the same as the number who would really miss you.

I moved from Boston to Philly 4 years ago and most of the people that are close to me live in Boston. I sometimes wonder how many would travel to Philly for my funeral.

Remember the Cure thread the other day? This is the exact sort of conversation you would find at any Cure concert in the early to mid eighties. People all dressed in black, with black hair and eyeliner, and somehow this subject would always end up coming up.

I started reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer with one group of my students, and there's a scene where the boys eavesdrop on their own funeral because everyone believed they drowned in the river. That would be interesting..... to listen in on your own funeral. Unless no one came. :kicksrock:

My friend who died in a fire had a huge funeral. His was at the Air Force Academy chapel in Colo. Springs, and it was pretty packed. He was the best person I have ever known. He treated everyone like they were his own brother or sister. He was open, kind and generous to all. His impact was profound.

Very interesting time to come up with this question - it's been on my mind a lot recently.

If I live three more days, I will have more of an influence on my son's life than my father had on mine - on Tuesday, my son will be exactly as old as I was the day he died (2 years, 3 months, 12 days). Don't know why I think about morbid #### like that, but I do.

My "footprint" per se is considerably larger than that, or at least I'd like to think so, but I think he'd miss me pretty considerably. :confused:

I started reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer with one group of my students, and there's a scene where the boys eavesdrop on their own funeral because everyone believed they drowned in the river. That would be interesting..... to listen in on your own funeral. Unless no one came. :confused:

My friend who died in a fire had a huge funeral. His was at the Air Force Academy chapel in Colo. Springs, and it was pretty packed. He was the best person I have ever known. He treated everyone like they were his own brother or sister. He was open, kind and generous to all. His impact was profound.
I have been to a few funerals like that. I was thinking though, after the big hoopla the only people who really miss you are your family and maybe a few close friends.

There's a lot of talk about your carbon footprint these days. How much of an impact you make on the environment.

But how much of an impact do you make on other people's lives? When they find out you're gone, would they just say, "Hey, I know that guy! I used to work with him." Or would they actually shed some tears and go through a process of grieving for you?

Other than my parents, 3 siblings and their spouses, aunts, uncles and cousins, and a bunch of nieces and nephews, I have maybe a handful of friends who would grieve. I have more friends who would be sad, probably. I'm sure my students would be dancing.

Not sure if you are kidding, but I'm confident that the vast majority of students would be deeply hurt with the loss of a teacher.

mlavwilson said:
desert rose said:
Two kids and my Wife. Wow, that's about it. Maybe I should get out more...
About the same for me, except that I would include my mom in that group for a grand total of four. I know a ba-zillion people through work and some of the extra curriculars in my life, but I can't think of one person from those groups who would probably "mourn" if I died. More people I know would say/do the right things or pay their respects to my wife after I died, but they wouldn't really mourn or miss me that much.Kind of a depressing topic, but a very interesting one. My guess is that if we turned the question around, asking "How many people do you know that you would really mourn if/when they passed away?," there would be a direct correlation between the number of people who would mourn us and the number of people we would mourn...but I'll try and avoid that :hijack: if I can.

mlavwilson said:
desert rose said:
Two kids and my Wife. Wow, that's about it. Maybe I should get out more...
About the same for me, except that I would include my mom in that group for a grand total of four. I know a ba-zillion people through work and some of the extra curriculars in my life, but I can't think of one person from those groups who would probably "mourn" if I died. More people I know would say/do the right things or pay their respects to my wife after I died, but they wouldn't really mourn or miss me that much.Kind of a depressing topic, but a very interesting one. My guess is that if we turned the question around, asking "How many people do you know that you would really mourn if/when they passed away?," there would be a direct correlation between the number of people who would mourn us and the number of people we would mourn...but I'll try and avoid that :hijack: if I can.
Post 17 had the same point and I think it's a good question to ask.

Probably a lot more than I think...then again I don't think that highly of myself so it would be easy to best my expectation.

I think a lot of it has to do with whether you have moved frequently (job, etc.), or whether you have lived in the same place for many years and built up a circle of friends that you have known for most of your life. In our very mobile society, where many change location and jobs relatively frequently, we form fewer permanent type relationships. Most of the time, job relationships are very superficial.

Then it primarily comes down to family and a few close friends.

0, I have no heart footprint. WTF kind of Dr. Phil term is that?

The only people that would know I was gone are the 3 f'n leeches that spend every penny I make and give me nothing in return, nothing. I hate you all.

Heart footprint. . .pffft

Wife, parents, my brother and maybe some of my wife's family but a lot of that would be them being upset for my wife. Maybe half a dozen friends. Like most folks, I imagine my funeral would be heavily attended and quickly forgotten.

8 would be heart broken, maybe another 8-10 would miss me. The question is how long would your legacy last (i.e. people continue talking about you). My legacy rests in the hands of my six year old, so if I were to drop dead today, I am guessing another 80 years.

Boatloads.

I want a multitude of people to weep bitterly and wail for days.

But in reality, like... 5 people. :shrug:

Hm, maybe 10-15 family members and a few close friends. Glad to see this thread is not filled with FBGs boasting about how their deep mourners would fill Madison Square Garden.

Users who are viewing this thread