What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you dont get one of the top QB's what pair are you targeting? (1 Viewer)

af592

Footballguy
I rarely grab a QB in the first 4 rounds. This year I might reach for Romo if he is there in the thrid, but I just have a feeling he will go higher than I want to reach for. So, what pairs are your trying to shoot for. I was going to try and get a Rivers/Eli or Cutler/Kolb. Just curious what everyone is shooting for?

Matt Ryan/Big Ben type for me. Flacco, Eli, Cutler, Kolb, Favre, there's a bunch of guys I "like" after the top ones are taken.

Cutler/Flacco/Vince Young (2 of 3), Flacco/Vince Young have great playoff schedules (14-16) IMO. :thumbup:

I realize Cutler is not one of the most popular Combo QB picks, but my league set-up for QBs is: 4 pts/TD, 1 pt/25 pass yds, NO NEGATIVE points per Interceptions! Thus, Cutler is a no brainer in my league as a late round starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Ben presents tremendous value but he has some tough games down the stretch (at Balt, Cincinnati, NY Jets) from weeks 13 to 15.

Bump & edit...

Cutler/Flacco/Vince Young (2 of 3), Flacco/Vince Young have great playoff schedules (14-16) IMO.

I realize Cutler is not one of the most popular Combo QB picks, but my league set-up for QBs is: 4 pts/TD, 1 pt/25 pass yds, NO NEGATIVE points per Interceptions! Thus, Cutler is a no brainer in my league as a late round starter.

Not one mention of Henne (which I am happy about). I think he is great value as a QB2/combo guy.
Beat me to it. I was thinking along the lines of if I miss out on P Manning, Brees, Rodgers...then I let it slide to a Flacco/Henne combo...or something like that and just pile on rbs or wrs or idps.

I recently got Kolb and Palmer at the 7/8 turn in a PPR redraft league. Was drafting out of the 12 spot in this 12 team league. Be careful of the bye weeks. Others seemed to conflict with Kolb's schedule but I cant remember which ones off the top of my head.

I recently got Kolb and Palmer at the 7/8 turn in a PPR redraft league. Was drafting out of the 12 spot in this 12 team league. Be careful of the bye weeks. Others seemed to conflict with Kolb's schedule but I cant remember which ones off the top of my head.
Off-hand. I can think of Eli, Ryan, Flacco. Week Eight is tough.

Off-hand. I can think of Eli, Ryan, Flacco. Week Eight is tough.
Yes. Thank you MA for the assist. Moral of the story here being if you are going to go qbbc with Kolb as you lead dog you better plan to get your beta dog quickly or you might not like what you find.

I am looking at Kolb and Favre in consecutive rounds. The risky move is to take Kolb with his late bye and then go with Big Ben later. Ben should be fine by week 8. Problem is if Kolb really struggles early you don't have a backup to resort to given Ben's suspension. I keep thinking about doing this but don't know if I will have the nerve to do it come draft day.

Cutler and Ben. No points lost for INTs in my leagues. I think Cutler's smoking coming out of the gate, and once Ben comes back in week 6 after bye, either one (or both) should put up QB1 numbers.

this is the 1st yr im actually considering taking a qb in the 1st 2 rds i draft 10th in my league and we get 6pts for all tds under 40 yds and 9 pts for all tds over 40 yds

Palmer = best value

I used to like Cutler, he was mixed in with that Eli / Flacco / Ryan / Kolb group; and out of that whole group Cutler was the best option IMO. But now Cutler is starting to get mixed with the Schuab / Rivers / Romo group and that a little to high for me.

I rather just wait and take 2 of Palmer / McNabb / Farve / Henne

Eli/Big Ben was a great combo last year and should be this year too. Eli in the 7th, Big Ben in the 9th, and after week5 you have a lethal combo the rest of the way. I would probably roster one more QB and then think about cutting him once you have these two in the clear.

It was a good combo last year too.

Other combos I might like as well would be Flacco/Palmer, McNabb/Palmer, and Cutler/Favre assuming Favre plays.

Why is there so much love for palmer??? He wasn't very good last year stastically.
Ocho, TO, drafted Shipley and Gresham, Chase Coffman returning from injury, Antonio Bryant somewhere down the line. Good ground game, Andre Smith for the entire season, pretty strong offense, team will be in the thick of a playoff spot. They ahd problems last year. Coles didn't fit their scheme, TJ Housh was gone, and Henry died so this year Palmer could be a steal. I've gotten him in the 8th/9th round in a lot of leagues, seems like a good spot to gamble on him as a QB2 or part of a combo from the 12-16 preseason spots

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is there so much love for palmer??? He wasn't very good last year stastically.
Palmer and Matt Ryan had about the same number of FF points in my league last year. So you could say the same thing about Ryan I guess. But I can see why some might think Palmer will be more productive this year with both Ocho and T.O. together.

Cutler & Kolb have the same bye week this year (10). I have them both in a dynasty with Stafford and am forced to keep Stafford on the active roster (instead of the taxi squad) simply because of that week.

Cutler & Kolb have the same bye week this year (10). I have them both in a dynasty with Stafford and am forced to keep Stafford on the active roster (instead of the taxi squad) simply because of that week.
You're still okay, but fwiw it is week 8, not 10.

Favre/Big Ben, two top 10 QB's from last year, and they can be had after the 8th round.

Matt Ryan and Eli make a nice pair as well, although they have the same bye week.

If Revis Island surfaces this year, not taking any QBBC playing against JETS in weeks 14, 15 & 16...so no combo's of Henne, Big Ben & Cutler.

Probably shooting to pair Cutler/Manning with Henne/Stafford. If Favre or Roth falls to me at an attractive time, I like their upside this year.

For those of you that subscribe to the QBBC, which is most everyone in this thread I guess, how successfully can you predict which QB will have the better week? My big concern with this strategy would be chasing last weeks stats and always guessing wrong on the more productive option. Are you able to accurately project the better player based on match-ups?

Users who are viewing this thread