What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm benching Victor Cruz for ______________ (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Classic scenario of you might need to bail early before it's too late to bail at all. I'm giving serious consideration to benching Cruz as my WR2 in favor of, well, of anyone else on my team really.

Debating Mike Evans or Robert Woods. Almost want to give it one more week but that's about all I can stand. This Giants offense is looking bottom 3 right now.

Anyone else sending Cruz to the pine?

I can't begin to understand how this has unraveled but it appears legit. This team is a hot mess. Randle doesn't look good. Jernigan is getting more targets than Cruz but can't seem to track the ball in. Nothing else seems to be working. It's just a mess.

Didn't he came out and say they needed to get him the ball more? And then Manning also said he needed to get better at getting Cruz the ball? It was only week 1, play your starters. If after this week he put up similar production, week 3 is when you act. But I think his numbers will go up

I've been offered Cruz for Kelvin Benjamin.

And not trying to be a "What Should I Do" post, but your concerns have me thinking I should decline. Prior to Week 1 I would have definitely said yes. A (seemingly) proven WR1 (offense wise) versus an unproven rookie WR1.

It just looked really ugly for Cruz. Bad offense. Not a lot of targets. But could this just be a one game aberration?

Starting Cruz with confidence this week. They will force-feed him. Even if only 30% of Eli's passes are catchable, and Cruz drops half of those, I think he's still a lock for 100+ and 1-2 tds this week.

Enjoy this week, then see what you can get for him. That's what I'm doing at least. Wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya If anything I would hold out and start him. They will definitely force feed him. Trade him after this week if you're not confident about the offense

I've been offered Cruz for Kelvin Benjamin.

And not trying to be a "What Should I Do" post, but your concerns have me thinking I should decline. Prior to Week 1 I would have definitely said yes. A (seemingly) proven WR1 (offense wise) versus an unproven rookie WR1.

It just looked really ugly for Cruz. Bad offense. Not a lot of targets. But could this just be a one game aberration?
I'd autodeek that trade and not think twice.

As another poster said, it was just one game, I'll probably keep him in this week (especially given the griping about targets) but if he no-shows again he has no value.

I almost want to put out some $0.20 on the $1 trade offers to see if I can get something on name brand. And to think, everyone at the draft was lauding that him as the value pick of the draft ...

I think it may take a few weeks for Eli to figure things out. I don't think it will stay this bad all year but i don't think they bounce back right away, either. Seeing how bad Eli looked, though, I may make an offer for nicks. Maybe it really wasn't his fault.

Leaning towards starting Justin Hunter over him.
Hunter is who I'm benching him for. I'm not looking to sell Cruz for pennies yet, but I think it's pretty safe to have him on your bench until the Giants can show that they know what they're doing. Implementing this new offensive system has been a huge fail so far. Jernigan, a guy that was reportedly on the roster bubble as well as their TE, which is the worst TE group in the league, were the most heavily targeted players on offense. That should not be the case.

As bad as Eli looked, Cruz didn't get a lot of targets, and I don't see that continuing. I'll gut it out with him for a few more weeks, but if last week becomes a trend, other options will be explored. I still managed to win in both leagues where I have him, so maybe that's why I'm not as annoyed. :lol:

Also thinking Cooks over Cruz with possibly Olsen over Cruz (combined WR/TE league).

Put me in the camp that I don't mind missing out on the 100 yard game and 2 TD's if it happens because I'd rather see something, anything out of the offense first.

Bumped for Justin Hunter as my WR#2 & Fred Jackson @ my flex spot.

May put Cruz back in for Fred before Sunday.

I don't have the stats handy, but Cruz is one of my keepers from last year and he's been doing poorly for longer than just this one game. I had benched him last year for Riley Cooper and Colston. I kept him after reading all the fbg buzz about the switch from a stagnant offense to a GB style offense. I started him this week and now I'm done until he can start producing again.

I'm starting markus Wheaton this week. I also have terrence Williams, Brian quick, and now Hurns. If start any of them over Cruz at this point.

As of now both DJax and Wallace over Cruz, but subject to change.

I drafted Cruz over Roddy, CDP and Floyd. Feeling like that was VERY stupid after one week.

I don't have the stats handy, but Cruz is one of my keepers from last year and he's been doing poorly for longer than just this one game. I had benched him last year for Riley Cooper and Colston. I kept him after reading all the fbg buzz about the switch from a stagnant offense to a GB style offense. I started him this week and now I'm done until he can start producing again.

I'm starting markus Wheaton this week. I also have terrence Williams, Brian quick, and now Hurns. If start any of them over Cruz at this point.
He had 73 receptions for 998 yards in 14 games last year. I think it is safe to say that with 2 more games he would have been near 85 1200 and 6. Seems pretty good to me.

He had 73 receptions for 998 yards in 14 games last year. I think it is safe to say that with 2 more games he would have been near 85 1200 and 6. Seems pretty good to me.
Just checking his point totals from my ppr league last year:

34, 19, 5, 32, 9, 10, 10, 15, 6, 19, 1, 14, 9, 4

He started out on fire the first four weeks, but then only broke 100 yards once after that. He only had 4 TDs and three of those came in week 1.

26 catches weeks 1-4 for 6.5/game.

425 yards weeks 1-4 for 106.25 ypg.

573 yards weeks 5-15 for 57.3 ypg.

47 catches weeks 5-15 for 4.7/game.

57.3 ypg over a full 16 games would still yield 916 .8 yards, which last year would have been just a few spots lower between Nate Washington and Golden Tate: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2013&timeframe=All&sort=28&old_category=WR

I kept swearing up and down that Cruz would have come out of the funk week after week last year too. I'm pulling the plug on him in a PPR dynasty until further notice. The Giants are a smoldering carcass.

Moreno assumes the flex for me now.

Add in another who has Justin Hunter over Cruz. I have Hunter locked in this week, but still deciding on Decker vs Cruz. After this week the schedule eases up, and the NFC East games should be tasty if Eli can bounce back to being merely the 5th worst QB in the league instead of being historically bad.

I am slightly scared to bench Cruz I have to admit. Especially after reading how he commented on wanting the ball more.

He had two drops in the second half that would have put him around 4-70, after getting a single target in the first half. He seemed off and frustrated. Odd, but he was running a lot lf deeper routes from the slot, while Jurnigan was running short from outside. He was also struggling to get of of press coverage some.

Definitely worried, but not sure the sky is falling. That said, I'm considering Shonn Greene as my flex over Cruz, who was displaced at WR2 by Patterson.

Synthesizer said:
Leaning towards starting Justin Hunter over him.
Same here.
I already leaned that way. Hunter @ home vs Dallas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cruz @ home vs ArizonaYes even with the news of Hunter being limited in practice today.

Justin Hunter, Cruz mite be shadowed by Peterson all game like he basically did to Allen this past monday, and Hunter is playing the Cowboys and could have himself a sexy burg or two

Justin Hunter, Cruz mite be shadowed by Peterson all game like he basically did to Allen this past monday, and Hunter is playing the Cowboys and could have himself a sexy burg or two
I'm guessing it's highly unlikely they drop Peterson down to the slot all game. More likely that Cruz stays in the slot and Peterson never mans up on him.

Zona could miss Matheiu this week.

Struggling with what to do with Cruz as well this week. I actually have decent options, but as terrible as they have looked it's hard to bench an explosive player like Cruz. In one league that I lost in week one I'm having the biggest struggle. I'll make the decision in the end, but I certainly wouldn't mind some opinions on this roster. I know it's a good problem to have, but I've noticed quite often that my bench score and start score are often similar and I'm tired of leaving points on the bench. 12 team PPR for WR .5 for RB otherwise standard .10 per yards rushing/receiving 6 pt td.

Kaep/RG3(obvious)

Ball/Morris/Gore/Ingram/Williams

Marshall/Cruz/Wright/Cooks/Mal Floyd/Woods

Pitta/Walker(obvious)

2 flex league can start 1-3 RB 2-4 WR 1-3 TE

Was seriously feeling desperate enough to post in WDIS thread, but since this is here I see that many others are having similar issues.

ETA I really want Cooks in my lineup, but the question is that at the expense of benching Cruz and a lackluster Giants O.

Struggling with what to do with Cruz as well this week. I actually have decent options, but as terrible as they have looked it's hard to bench an explosive player like Cruz. In one league that I lost in week one I'm having the biggest struggle. I'll make the decision in the end, but I certainly wouldn't mind some opinions on this roster. I know it's a good problem to have, but I've noticed quite often that my bench score and start score are often similar and I'm tired of leaving points on the bench. 12 team PPR for WR .5 for RB otherwise standard .10 per yards rushing/receiving 6 pt td.

Kaep/RG3(obvious)

Pitta/Walker(obvious)

Was seriously feeling desperate enough to post in WDIS thread, but since this is here I see that many others are having similar issues.

ETA I really want Cooks in my lineup, but the question is that at the expense of benching Cruz and a lackluster Giants O.
Let us know what you decide.

You would think they would throw his way at least 10 times this week to overcompensate for last week. Don't like the idea of Petersen on him all game but probably roll with him at home.

Don't screw me Victor.

He's barely flex worthy until he shows something. Not many offenses in the NFL look worse than the Giants so far this season. Why ride it out if you have an option that is playing well like Cooks?

Not going to start a new thread, but in the theme of Giants misery, I'm benching Eli for Hoyer.

Kaep/RG3(obvious)

Pitta/Walker(obvious)

Let us know what you decide.
You're a funny guy. :lol: :rolleyes:

Not going to start a new thread, but in the theme of Giants misery, I'm benching Eli for Hoyer.
From what the announcers said, it sounds like Eli isn't just having to learn a new offense, but also having to change how he throws. Starting with opposite foot back than he has for all these years and 4-6 step drops instead of 5-7. Seems like it's throwing him off and then add in a terrible offensive line and WR's dropping the balls that he actually manages to get to them. It's just ugly.

As bad as Eli looked, Cruz didn't get a lot of targets, and I don't see that continuing. I'll gut it out with him for a few more weeks, but if last week becomes a trend, other options will be explored. I still managed to win in both leagues where I have him, so maybe that's why I'm not as annoyed. :lol:
Having given this some more thought, I am benching Cruz this week. Patrick Patterson will likely be all over him this week, and I got Forsett in both leagues I have Cruz, so I'll go with Forsett at flex instead this week. I'll admit that I still have much fantasy love for Cruz because of 2011 and 2012, but he does need to show me something this year before I'll have faith in him.

Users who are viewing this thread