What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm sitting Gronk/Hernandez in favor of... (1 Viewer)

Hank Mardukas

Footballguy
The Jets have only allowed 5 passing TDs on the season and only 1 TD to a TE - Gates. In the previous meeting Gronk and Hernandez were both held under 10 pts in my 0.5 PPR league. Plus Brady has looked pretty un-Brady-like the last few weeks. I'm strongly leaning towards starting Fred Davis.

Since my league allows a TE flex, I've been running both Graham and Gronk. Planning on sitting Gronk for Mathews tonight.

If you have Fred Davis then I'd consider it, but the Jets are generally pretty weak against good tight ends. Jason Witten had a good game against them, and in their last matchup, Hernandez dropped a very catchable pass on the GL that turned into an INT which would have skewed your stats. I think a better question is whether or not to bench Welker, because I have a hard time sitting either of those TEs.

As per usual, I'm starting both Gronk and Hernandez. I'm not too worried that they will produce decent fantasy points. If one goes off and the other gets shut down, the average of the two will work for me.

In my main league, there is no mandatory TE but 2 FLEX spots (TE also get full PPR, other positions .5 PPR), so many weeks I've rolled w/ both Hernandez & Fred Davis @ both FLEX spots. This week I'll likely sit Hernandez & roll the dice w/ a gimpy Beanie instead (I also own Brady so don't wanna have too much riding on a pedestrian-looking Pats offense in a very tough road game)

Sitting neither. Are they really going to put Revis on them? Or will he be all over Welker (who I am not benching either on the third team)

probably sitting gronk for graham but still thinking about it. his games against the Jets haven't been pretty. Could start him as a flex over brandon marshall though.

Aren't most of gronks duds due to the scheme for that game calling for him to stay in and block more than usual?

Is this one of those games?

I have both but will only start Gronk in the TE slot. Toasty stays on the breakfast tray this week.

currently playing hernandez over finley and cj at ppr with 1.5ppr for te. not at all certain or confident.

Right now I am benching Henrnandez for Celek.. Risky I know, but I need some upside to defeat my opponent this week who is 8-1. I am 6-3 and still in the running for #1 seed if I can pull this out.

Arizona has given up solid TE numbers to any team that actually has a decent #1 TE. The only teams who have not posted solid numbers have nothing for TE.

Hernandez could/should have a decent day, but the Jets DST is coming on, and I see this as a close/hard fought battle. I see a at least a decent probability that henrandez is held to 3-5 catches on the road with maybe 50% chance of a TD.

Meanwhile, PHL has their backs against the wall, and could destroy AZ if they can get on a roll at home. Celek is also on a roll, becoming a main target for Vick, and I see his floor at about 3-5 catches with at least 50% chance of a TD. I will take my chances with him

Currently deciding between Hernandez and my two waiver wire claims - Earl Bennet/Steve Breaston. Our TEs are flexed into our WRs. After Gates measly output I probably need to gamble for the highest upside. Leaning Breaston, but that might change 5 times before kickoff on Sunday.

'fCheeze said:
Right now I am benching Henrnandez for Celek.. Risky I know, but I need some upside to defeat my opponent this week who is 8-1. I am 6-3 and still in the running for #1 seed if I can pull this out. Arizona has given up solid TE numbers to any team that actually has a decent #1 TE. The only teams who have not posted solid numbers have nothing for TE.Hernandez could/should have a decent day, but the Jets DST is coming on, and I see this as a close/hard fought battle. I see a at least a decent probability that henrandez is held to 3-5 catches on the road with maybe 50% chance of a TD. Meanwhile, PHL has their backs against the wall, and could destroy AZ if they can get on a roll at home. Celek is also on a roll, becoming a main target for Vick, and I see his floor at about 3-5 catches with at least 50% chance of a TD. I will take my chances with him
I think it will be the Maclin/Jacskon show this weekend. Vick won't need to check down this weekend.

Well, in a league w/ no mandatory TE (but 2 FLEX; TEs get full ppr, but other positions get .5 ppr) I started Denarius Moore last night, meaning Hernandez is on my bench. Obviously I'm happy I took that shot; I also own Brady (but still pondering benching him for Tebow, gasp!!!) & didn't want to have 2 Pats potentially in my lineup. In TE mandatory leagues, I agree w/ the sentiment that Gronk simply cannot be benched, realistically

I think I'm rolling with Fred Davis this week over Hernandez. I'm concerned that the Jets D will try to put the clamps on the TE going vertical, and Fred is pretty much the only show in WAS.

I think I'm rolling with Fred Davis this week over Hernandez. I'm concerned that the Jets D will try to put the clamps on the TE going vertical, and Fred is pretty much the only show in WAS.
Except that Captain Checkdown Beck targeted Helu 17 times last week....

Starting Gronk with confidence. The Brady Bunch will be determined and focused to get their swagger back. Not taking away anything from the JETS - Jets Jets Jets, however, I just think the Patriots will score more points. I think Brady will look Gronks way for the sure thing and first downs eventually ending up in the endzone 3 times plus a couple field goals. Patriots 27 - Jets 20.

'Jimbo Slice said:
Aren't most of gronks duds due to the scheme for that game calling for him to stay in and block more than usual?Is this one of those games?
:goodposting: This. I fully expect the Jets to try to overload the line of scrimmage and try to bring pressure on Brady. I think they understand that if they bring enought blitzers, that Gronk will stay in the majority of snaps to block. In turn, I expect the Pats to try to run more (similar to the first match-up) and Gronk to be needed more to block. The question is how do the Jets adjust. Regardless, they played their safety over the top the first matchup and had pretty good success against the NE TEs. Im in a 12 team, 20 man roster, start 4 WR/TE league. Distance scoring and 100+ yard provide bonuses. I am likely sitting Gronk below Decker, Finley, and Manningham. If I do play him, it will likely be over either Ballard, Damien Williams, and Roy Williams. This is still fluid and may still change, but today, this is how I feel.Edit to add: If it means anything, I think Hernandez is the TE that will likely be released into receiving patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see the Patriots offense as being a typical situation for a defense to handle. They run two tight end sets the majority of the time, and move Hernandez around to create mismatches. You have to believe Revis will be on Welker in this game. I'll take my chances on Hernandez against most safeties and coverage LBs. I'm starting Hernandez and expect top 10 production as usual.

I wish I owned Gronk (and/or welker)... He as well as Welker are going to go off tomorrow.

I really don't understand how people have the balls to sit either guy. That's poppycock, ludicrous, tomfoolery and ninnymuggins.

I wish I owned Gronk (and/or welker)... He as well as Welker are going to go off tomorrow.I really don't understand how people have the balls to sit either guy. That's poppycock, ludicrous, tomfoolery and ninnymuggins.
So you are saying Revis will cover Hernandez?

'Jed said:
'rizzler said:
I wish I owned Gronk (and/or welker)... He as well as Welker are going to go off tomorrow.I really don't understand how people have the balls to sit either guy. That's poppycock, ludicrous, tomfoolery and ninnymuggins.
So you are saying Revis will cover Hernandez?
I was wondering the same... Wouldn't surprise me if Revis was on him at least part of time

The Pats put up between 45 and 63 points tomorrow night so I wouldn't sit anyone on their offense except maybe Vereen.

Except that Captain Checkdown Beck targeted Helu 17 times last week....
I read that Beck and Grossman split first-team reps this week, so having Rexy under center would make Fred a little more appealing.

Hernandez has averaged 5 catches for 70 yds per game over his last three games vs NYJ. Dont know why so many guys are benching him.

Gronk on the other hand has been mediocre at best vs NYJ

Users who are viewing this thread