What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Johnathan Dwyer over_________ (2 Viewers)

Hard to get excited over Dwyer, but when you consider Bell seems weeks away and his competition is the mediocre Redman (who fumbled his way onto the bench last week) and Felix Jones (whose missed blocking assignment put him on the bench alongside Redman), it's not the most difficult path to getting the majority of carries.

Every time I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in.
I'm not falling for it again. He couldn't get motivated with a $1.3M contract but he's supposed to be motivated now for half that? I don't care if he says he's a changed person, I don't believe it.

Hard to get excited over Dwyer, but when you consider Bell seems weeks away and his competition is the mediocre Redman (who fumbled his way onto the bench last week) and Felix Jones (whose missed blocking assignment put him on the bench alongside Redman), it's not the most difficult path to getting the majority of carries.
I'd like to think that being thrown out on the street humbles you, as it has for the millions of regular working stiffs. But yeah, I don't see it happening either for him. Just strikes me as a guy that doesn't want to work for a golden opportunity.

If only the majority of carries translated into prodution on this offense....

But opportunity is opportunity...

Can't get on this train again. Just can't. Even if I ignore Dwyer and assume he will bring more than he ever has, I can't overlook the sorry shape of the Steelers. This is a lost season for them.

Going back and forth on dropping Hillman for Dwyer. I doubt at this point Hillman can usurp Moreno's role, but I sort of want to give it 1 more week. On the other hand, I dont expect Dwyer to have success against a good Cincy D, but if he even gets close to the majority of the carries he will get picked up next week in all likelihood in my PIT homer league.

...and Dwyer is gone. Looks like Felix until Bell is back.
Which one of them did you start? :popcorn:

I stand by statement that all are FF useless until L. Bell is back - and then he is, only if he is healthy.
None. I don't have any of them. :shrug:

I just like to point out when people talk authoritatively on a subject that they know nothing about so they don't deceive others. Do you still stand by your statement that it looks like Felix until Bell is back?
Just because Felix is going to get touches doesn't mean that he is FF usefull. Dwyer is taking snaps with #1s. Great. I still don't want him. STILL the only FF worthy RB in Pitt is Bell - and you probably won't be able to use him for a few weeks.

My statement about Felix was after they had cut Dwyer, so forgive me for presuming that a guy that they just cut wasn't going to start over the guy they signed in the offseason - and kept instead. The point was that Redman wasn't going to be the man - he clearly still isn't. Dwyer might get the nod - but he can stay on waivers in FF leagues that aren't 16 teamers with 25+ deep rosters.

Bell is more talented than the other 3 - which ever of the other 3 you prefer. My point, for virtually the last month and half, has been (despite your best attempts to paint it some other way for some reason) that the only Steeler RB worth having in a standard league (10-12 teams with 22-24 person rosters) is Bell - and only from week 6 on.

I stand by statement that all are FF useless until L. Bell is back - and then he is, only if he is healthy.

I just like to point out when people talk authoritatively on a subject that they know nothing about so they don't deceive others. Do you still stand by your statement that it looks like Felix until Bell is back?
Just because Felix is going to get touches doesn't mean that he is FF usefull. Dwyer is taking snaps with #1s. Great. I still don't want him. STILL the only FF worthy RB in Pitt is Bell - and you probably won't be able to use him for a few weeks.

My statement about Felix was after they had cut Dwyer, so forgive me for presuming that a guy that they just cut wasn't going to start over the guy they signed in the offseason - and kept instead. The point was that Redman wasn't going to be the man - he clearly still isn't. Dwyer might get the nod - but he can stay on waivers in FF leagues that aren't 16 teamers with 25+ deep rosters.

Bell is more talented than the other 3 - which ever of the other 3 you prefer. My point, for virtually the last month and half, has been (despite your best attempts to paint it some other way for some reason) that the only Steeler RB worth having in a standard league (10-12 teams with 22-24 person rosters) is Bell - and only from week 6 on.
The very easy and obvious presumption would've been that Redman was going to get the snaps until Bell was back, so I had to point out that no, the player they just acquired on the cheap was NOT going to be the guy until Bell returns. It was a ridiculous statement and his total lack of touches in week 1 proved it.

FWIW, I am avoiding the situation entirely, including Bell. I was before Pouncey's injury and certainly want no part of it after that. This is a dismal situation. But if anyone happened to need to start a Pit RB, I felt obligated to let others know that it was definitely not going to be Felix.

The very easy and obvious presumption would've been that Redman was going to get the snaps until Bell was back, so I had to point out that no, the player they just acquired on the cheap was NOT going to be the guy until Bell returns. It was a ridiculous statement and his total lack of touches in week 1 proved it.

FWIW, I am avoiding the situation entirely, including Bell. I was before Pouncey's injury and certainly want no part of it after that. This is a dismal situation. But if anyone happened to need to start a Pit RB, I felt obligated to let others know that it was definitely not going to be Felix.
:lmao: Ahh, yes. FF Ninja - the long-time bastion of altruistic truth and sensibility in the otherwise self-serving, blind stupidity of FF forum-dome. Thank you for gracing us all with your wisdom and charitably.

I'm not falling for it again. He couldn't get motivated with a $1.3M contract but he's supposed to be motivated now for half that? I don't care if he says he's a changed person, I don't believe it.
I am.... Dwyer is free and should get a hefty workload. He has talent, it's a no brainer..... pay nothing and see what happens. He's the best RB on the Steeler roster imo.

I am.... Dwyer is free and should get a hefty

workload. He has talent, it's a no brainer..... pay nothing and see what happens. He's the best RB on the Steeler roster imo.
Best active RB on the Steelers' roster is equivalent to the best athlete in the Special Olympics. Not to mention the issues with the o-line and the lack of weapons on offense in general. Plus, Dwyer just really isn't that good -- he's end of the bench material in both FF and the NFL, at best. He should be nowhere near anyone's starting lineup unless you're looking for 8-25-0 upside.

Signed,

Multi-dynasty league Dwyer owner and Steelers' homer

Put the pipe down. I think you meant Redman. Felix is a CoP at best.
Redman and Dwyer were and have been both equally bad. The only reason Dwyer got cut instead of Redman, imho, is that Dwyer has had a weight/motivation problem - but on the field, both have been less than mediocre.

The only FF-viable RB on the Steelers roster is clearly Bell - and you have to wait a few weeks on him, so it really doesn't matter, as neither Felix nor Redman are more than RB4/5.

This isn't "Redman's chance" - it's him and Jones sharing time, keeping it warm for Bell. As I said, Redman stinks - Jones isn't much better. Bell is the only one who will be fantasy viable.
:coffee: Since it was announced that Bell will return this week, it's probably time to put this one to bed.

After 3 weeks, here's the way this ended up:

F. Jones: 17-71 (4.2 YPC) - started the last 2 games

J. Dwyer 13-41 (3.2 YPC)

I. Redman 10-12 (1.2 YPC) - but hey, FF Ninja was right, Redman got the start on 9/8 when he had 7 carries for 8 yards.

Put the pipe down. I think you meant Redman. Felix is a CoP at best.
Redman and Dwyer were and have been both equally bad. The only reason Dwyer got cut instead of Redman, imho, is that Dwyer has had a weight/motivation problem - but on the field, both have been less than mediocre.

The only FF-viable RB on the Steelers roster is clearly Bell - and you have to wait a few weeks on him, so it really doesn't matter, as neither Felix nor Redman are more than RB4/5.

This isn't "Redman's chance" - it's him and Jones sharing time, keeping it warm for Bell. As I said, Redman stinks - Jones isn't much better. Bell is the only one who will be fantasy viable.
:coffee: Since it was announced that Bell will return this week, it's probably time to put this one to bed.

After 3 weeks, here's the way this ended up:

F. Jones: 17-71 (4.2 YPC) - started the last 2 games

J. Dwyer 13-41 (3.2 YPC)

I. Redman 10-12 (1.2 YPC) - but hey, FF Ninja was right, Redman got the start on 9/8 when he had 7 carries for 8 yards.
:rolleyes:

Felix started week 2 because Redman was injured right before the game and Dwyer had just been signed after being cut a few weeks earlier. Felix actually did not get any more touches after Redman was able to play again.

Then he may have started in week 3, but Dwyer got more carries.

So yeah, you still don't know what you were talking about. You made your call that it was Felix until Bell returns and then Felix didn't even get a single touch (or snap?) week 1. What kind of doofus bumps proof that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Now is that really the way to respond to someone who at least gave you some credit for being a little bit right?

Redman was healthy Sunday night and got 0 carries and only a handful of snaps. Felix started and had 7/34 and caught 2/13 and was also on kick return.

In fact the guy you were touting was 3rd on the team in carries since your initial post decrying that the crack pipe be put down. It's cool though - only mature people admit when they were mistaken. I can tell by the name calling you don't have that problem. The one thing I didn't see coming was the Steelers re-signing Dwyer after they had cut him.

And regardless as to injury 4.2 YPC> 1.2 YPC - and like I said, you were right on Redman getting the start on 9/8, so on behalf of anyone who was desperate at RB, I thank you for the 8 rushing yards and 7 receiving yards in week 1.

I am sure there are other threads that need you expertise, so feel free to grace them with your knowledge and insight and by all means, keep up the name-calling and insulting those who have opinions that differ from yours. It's that kind of humility and civility that has long been your trademark and that which makes the shark pool such a fun place to discuss the nuances of fantasy football.

:banned:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - Cardinals

During minicamp, coach Bruce Arians said Jonathan Dwyer was "in better shape and he's running routes and catching the ball better than I remember."

Arians and Dwyer spent 2010-2011 together in Pittsburgh, where the power back appeared in just eight games and earned 25 total carries. Dwyer may have a much more significant role this year as he fights Stepfan Taylor for big-back duties behind starter Andre Ellington. Dwyer has a legit chance to earn all goal-line work, as that's an area smallish Ellington projects to struggle. Ellington had three carries inside the five-yard line last year, and was stuffed on all three.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 2 - 8:54 AM

I like Dwyer / Taylor as last round flyer types this year. Mendenhall was totally awful as a runner last year, but still somehow ended up as a viable RB3 (29th). There are some points to be had from the "big" RB in Arizona's committee, and the Ellington hype has made the other RBs in AZ total afterthoughts.

Hard to believe, but Dwyer is younger than Ellington.

Edit: Ellington is the oldest RB on the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have to start Dwyer your team is already in trouble. Ellington owners should have a better RB3/4 on the bench.

In a small quirky situation, I would be having to decide between Matthews v Cards or Dwyer v Chargers. Just picked up Dwyer from the WW as Im weak at RB. Time to go do some research on how much tougher Cards are against the run than the Chargers.....

Users who are viewing this thread