What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In leagues where *ALL* touchdowns are 6pts... (1 Viewer)

tick dog

Footballguy
Seems that Peyton is sometimes being taken anywhere from 3-5 in leagues where all TDs -- rush, rec, and pass -- are 6 pts. He's a lock first rounder in this scoring system.

But if any of you play in leagues like this or have seen mocks, where have the next tier guys like Palmer, Brees, Brady, McNabb, Bulger been going? Are they 2nd/3rd rounders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning 1.05, Palmer 1.09, Brees 1.12, Brady 2.11, Bulger 3.06, McNabb 4.02. Kitna even went early in my draft at 2.09! I was targeting him in the 6th or 7th.

I'm drafting 3rd overall tonight in a TD only league...difference is QB's get 4 pts for throwing a TD....where as SCORING the TD gets you 6 pts.

We're still thinking of taking Peyton at 3rd overall....our mindset is:

Based on footballguys projecitons, Peyton is projected to throw 32 TD's X 4 pts each = 128 pts

Larry Johnson is projected to get 14 total TD's X 6 pts = 84 pts

Stephen Jackson is projected to get 13 total TD's X 6 pts = 78 pts

I'm drafting 3rd overall tonight in a TD only league...difference is QB's get 4 pts for throwing a TD....where as SCORING the TD gets you 6 pts.We're still thinking of taking Peyton at 3rd overall....our mindset is:Based on footballguys projecitons, Peyton is projected to throw 32 TD's X 4 pts each = 128 ptsLarry Johnson is projected to get 14 total TD's X 6 pts = 84 ptsStephen Jackson is projected to get 13 total TD's X 6 pts = 78 pts
I think for a TD only league you have to get a good QB early. Good choice in taking Manning early.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yeah, it's funny, even in 6-pt TD leagues (for all positions) people still have a hard time getting over the mental hurdle of taking a QB first. It's been SO beaten into our heads that you HAVE TO go Rb-Rb that people get gun shy....but when you figure that Manning/Palmer/Brees/Brady should be good for approx 30 TDs (+/- 4ish) and the top Rb would be a monster to get even 25 total TDs, then a Qb early is a no-brainer.

raven1911 said:
Manning 1.05, Palmer 1.09, Brees 1.12, Brady 2.11, Bulger 3.06, McNabb 4.02. Kitna even went early in my draft at 2.09! I was targeting him in the 6th or 7th.
That is WAY too early for QBs to go in any league, with the possible exception of leagues that start 2 QBs.

Thanks for the input, guys.Yeah, it's funny, even in 6-pt TD leagues (for all positions) people still have a hard time getting over the mental hurdle of taking a QB first. It's been SO beaten into our heads that you HAVE TO go Rb-Rb that people get gun shy....but when you figure that Manning/Palmer/Brees/Brady should be good for approx 30 TDs (+/- 4ish) and the top Rb would be a monster to get even 25 total TDs, then a Qb early is a no-brainer.
It doesn't matter how QBs compare to RBs, it matters how QBs compare to other QBs. The dropoff at RB is much steeper, and there is more of a scarcity, so they will always be more valuable.

In my 12 team all TDs = 6 pts league:

1.05 - Peyton Manning

Early 2nd - Drew Brees

2.12 - Tom Brady

Early 3rd - Carson Palmer/Marc Bulger

Mid-3rd - Donovan McNabb

Going from a 4-pt TD league to a 6-pt TD league barely increases the VBD scores of the top QBs. You're looking at maybe an 8-10 point boost. Basically, it should alter their draft slot by a couple of PICKS, not a couple of ROUNDS.

raven1911 said:
That is WAY too early for QBs to go in any league, with the possible exception of leagues that start 2 QBs.
Tell that to the bozo's in my league. I must have done 100 mock drafts and never got even close to the actual draft.

Thanks for the input, guys.Yeah, it's funny, even in 6-pt TD leagues (for all positions) people still have a hard time getting over the mental hurdle of taking a QB first. It's been SO beaten into our heads that you HAVE TO go Rb-Rb that people get gun shy....but when you figure that Manning/Palmer/Brees/Brady should be good for approx 30 TDs (+/- 4ish) and the top Rb would be a monster to get even 25 total TDs, then a Qb early is a no-brainer.
It doesn't matter how QBs compare to RBs, it matters how QBs compare to other QBs. The dropoff at RB is much steeper, and there is more of a scarcity, so they will always be more valuable.
Fair point, but I think it depends entirely on your scoring system, however. Saying that RB's are ALWAYS more valuable is a bit too much of a blanket statement, I think. If you have PPR, e.g., and you're looking at a second round choice of Ronnie Brown or Steve Smith, who you gonna take? Brown just because he's a RB?

raven1911 said:
You need to explain thsi more.....this is a serpentine draft and we're at 3....meaning there are about 20 picks before we're going to go again.20 picks after 3rd overall, I think the bulk of the high producing QB's *and* RB's are gone. If you can get a steady Manning at 3 can't you use your footballguys knowledge/projections to find another RB or WR that is going to produce *close* (within 3 or 4 TD's) to what Jackson or Johnson are projected to do? I think so....

I would have to respectfully disagree with you here. I think the depth at RB is a lot higher this year than previous years. In a TD only league you are looking at nabbing a top 7-8 QB and then there is a sharp decline after that, whereas the RB situation is a lot different. I would say the decline is great only after the first 10-15 RBs go, depending on your league. I got a surprise and my QB's were off the board fast. I ended up with Romo in the 5th and Roesthlisberger in the 9th, which was good value in my draft. If you let the first 7 QB's go then you are really taking a chance with a QB with a possible upside, hopefully.

raven1911 said:
You need to explain thsi more.....this is a serpentine draft and we're at 3....meaning there are about 20 picks before we're going to go again.20 picks after 3rd overall, I think the bulk of the high producing QB's *and* RB's are gone. If you can get a steady Manning at 3 can't you use your footballguys knowledge/projections to find another RB or WR that is going to produce *close* (within 3 or 4 TD's) to what Jackson or Johnson are projected to do? I think so....
Call me crazy but LJ just signed for a huge amount of money and the offense is horrible. I don't see him outplaying his ADP at all, or even meeting it this year. I see him running more cautiously since getting all that money and his OFF line really sucks.

16 team league, all TD's 6 points, -3 INT's (& fumbles).

I took Manning @ 1.11, Palmer 2.09, Brady 2.10, Brees 2.11, Bulger 2.16 (My RB's suck but hopefully Manning helps make the difference - I waited real late on QB last year and I did not even make the playoffs)

Last year 3 QB's went before 1.06 :goodposting:

:goodposting: A guy that gets it. I'll try to explain it to the guy that is about to make a huge mistake in my next post.

raven1911 said:
If you take Manning in a league with QB TD's being worth 4 pts and all other TD's being worth 6 pts, at the #3 overall pick, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose. Period. You will not win, nor even compete, if the rest of your league has any brains. The issue is not comparing Manning's TD's to LJ's TD's. It is comparing Mannings's TD's to another QB you can draft 5 rounds later (difference of maybe 5 or 6), v.s. comparing Addai/LJ TD's v.s. the TD's available at RB later in the draft. The issue is that there is a huge dropoff in RB depth and TD's drop significantly. FOr QB's that just isn't the case. In your league I would take a guy like Cutler in the 6-8th round that is pretty much a lock to get 22-24 TD's and then stack my team with the best available RB's/WR's. That is called value and that is how you win. If I were you, with the 3rd pick I personally would take Addai and not even think twice about it.

LIsten dammit will you tell my father this? Actually I've printed your logic to take to him. It's him who wants the QB at 3. I'm all about RB RB RB normally.

All the Top Tier QBs were gone by the end of the fourth round. Most by the end of the 3rd. We also get a 10 bonus for 250 yards in my league, so they fly off the board.

LIsten dammit will you tell my father this? Actually I've printed your logic to take to him. It's him who wants the QB at 3. I'm all about RB RB RB normally.
I probably wouldn't go RB/RB/RB in a 6 TD league, but would certainly go RB/RB/WR or RB/WR/RB with the 3rd pick. I'm telling you (and your dad apparantly) that if you take Manning with the #3 pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. I tell you that with 100% certainty.

raven1911 said:
Call me crazy but LJ just signed for a huge amount of money and the offense is horrible. I don't see him outplaying his ADP at all, or even meeting it this year. I see him running more cautiously since getting all that money and his OFF line really sucks.
Raven you really need to read more articles on this site (and others) about VBD drafting. I could comment on every post you made but I won't. I will tell you that your reasoning is flawed. It may work in your league (because it sounds liek your league needs to read about VBD drafting as well) but it isn't the smart way to draft. If I were in your league, I would let those QB's fly off the board and grab great players at every position. I would then worry about QB much later and wouldn't even care if I had a Delhomme or Losman as my #1.And to your comment about LJ "outplaying his ADP": when you are talking about players being drafted in the first 5 picks, it isn't a matter of "outplaying his ADP", you just want him to play "up to" his ADP and take the player with as little risk as possible. If you want to tell my that LJ isn't worth a #3 pick because his O-Line sucks, his QB is raw and he had an enormous workload last year- then I'm listening. If you want to tell me tath LJ isn't worth a #3 pick because he won't outplay his ADP, then it is in one ear and out the other.

Going from a 4-pt TD league to a 6-pt TD league barely increases the VBD scores of the top QBs. You're looking at maybe an 8-10 point boost. Basically, it should alter their draft slot by a couple of PICKS, not a couple of ROUNDS.
:banned: This short post says it all.

In my 14 teamer, 6 pts all TDs, no ppr, pretty standard scoring, start 1 QB

Manning 8th overall

Palmer 16th

Brady 23rd

Brees 24th

Bulger 31st

McNabb 34th

We have a 12 team PPR league; the PPR supresses QB value. Peyton always seems to go high- 1.03 this year. Next two off the board were Brees at 3.02, Palmer at 3.04. Brady went at 3.12.

12 team redraft, live draft, held 8/18/07: Peyton, Brady & Palmer were gone by pick 2.06. Brees, Bulgar & Kitna were gone by pick 4.07.

I probably wouldn't go RB/RB/RB in a 6 TD league, but would certainly go RB/RB/WR or RB/WR/RB with the 3rd pick. I'm telling you (and your dad apparantly) that if you take Manning with the #3 pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. I tell you that with 100% certainty.
Does the fact that we have to dress 2 QB's every week change your thougths on any of this?

Does the fact that we have to dress 2 QB's every week change your thougths on any of this?
Yes. That is information that is needed. Manning at #3 with a 2 QB league is okay. Personally, I wouldn't do it because I think I can get a QB at #2 who is still darn good. Whereas the difference between Addai/LJ/Gore at #3 is much bigger than whoever I can get in the 2nd (if I took Manning in the first). But Manning at #3 overall in a 2 QB start league is not ideal but acceptable nonetheless.

That is a HUGE difference. That changes everything.

1.03 Peyton Manning :goodposting: , 2.02 Palmer, 2.05 McNabb (Philly homer), 2.08 Brees, 2.09 Brady, 2.11 Bulger, 3.01 Kitna (just wanted to throw him in there cause he was drafted so early)

After this, the QB madgrab slowed to one per round.

This was a 12 team redraft, 6pt all TDs, no PPR

tick dog - 10 team league, all touches are 6 pts - held draft aug 18 (everybody was in town that day)

Manning - 1.9

Brady - 2.5

Palmer 4.10 (he fell to me had to take him there)

Brees - 5.4

Bukger - 5.5

hope this helps...no matter what - it's all about the RB's

I'm in a QB-heavy league & this year saw the mother of all early QB runs. 12-teamer

1.5- Manning

2.1- Palmer

2.2- Brees

2.11- Brady

4.4- Bulger

4.7- McNabb

All TDs being worth 6 pts and PPR scoring does not change the fundamental relationship between supply/demand and the relative dropoffs at each position.There were 10 QBs that threw for at least 20 TDs last year. There are 20 that had at least 15 TDs. Hell, Eli threw more TDs than Bulger and Brady last year.With RBs, you only had one break 20 (LT, of course), and only LT and LJ broke 15 TDs. Only 9 guys broke 10 TDs. Especially in the first half of the first round, you're looking at guys who have 15-20 TD potential. You're +10 or so vs. the dropoff, whereas going with a QB that early you don't make up much ground.

I think you can win with Manning.

You'd have to be willing to sacrifice the RB position a little though. Likely you go receiver in the second round, maybe Gates in the third. End up #1 in 3 positions then. Also, you start other people running that way and you pick up the RB's that drop and hope one of them pans out.

You do not automatically win picking RB/RB and you don't automatically lose picking Manning #1.

Yes and no. It also depends on what your other roster requirements are.I just did a 12 team draft last night where we start 2 QB, 3 WR, 3 RB, 2 TE, 2 DEF and a K. Needless to say, all starting lineup spots were inflated, so it wasn't just the QBs. For me, this made RBs gold.Here are the draft slots for the QBs. Obviously we're looking at some at least 1-2 rounds earlier than we would normall see them despite starting 3 RBs.Manning 1.11Romo 2.11 :lmao: :hot: (new owner who LOVES Romo)Palmer 3.01Brees 3.03Brady 3.05 McNabb 4.01Bulger 4.04Kitna 6.01VY 6.06Rivers 6.08Ben 7.04Cutler 7.10Hasselback 8.06Leinart 8.10Alex Smith 9.01Here's what I ended up with:QBs: Big Ben (7th), Schaub (10th), Campbell (11th)RBs: Willie Parker (1st), Adrian Peterson (2nd), Ahman Green (4th), Lamont Jordan (5), Lendale (6)In that context, having to start 3 RBs, I felt I was better off with that combination of QBs who, worst case, are going to be good for 15 TDs or so each. (This *ISN'T* a 6pts/passing TD league).Now, looking at the teams who went QB early, they have Tatum Bell and Foster as their RB2/RB3. Another has Brandon Jackson as RB3. And in all cases the dropoff from there is even more severe.The one thing I noticed with start 2QB, even when the other spots are increased, that WRs definitely fell. I grabbed one early, but in general it was RBs and then QBs that went, where others might normally wait for a QB after WR1/2.

It's start 2 QB's weekly, 1 kicker, and ANY mixture of 5 RB's, WR's, and TE's.

This is all very interesting food for thought.

I still feel like I'm going to own Manning by nightfall.

start 2 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 flex league... 10 teams, all TD's = 6

I took Manning in the first (1.06) and Brees in the third (Henry in the 2nd).

other QB's:

1.09 Palmer

2.10 McNabb

3.02 Brady

3.05 Bulger

:lmao: This short post says it all.
A QB whose value lies mostly with his legs will see his stock fall more than others will see their stock rise. A guy like Vince Young is nowhere near as valuable in a 6/6 league than a 4/6 league.

I think you can win with Manning.

You'd have to be willing to sacrifice the RB position a little though. Likely you go receiver in the second round, maybe Gates in the third. End up #1 in 3 positions then. Also, you start other people running that way and you pick up the RB's that drop and hope one of them pans out.

You do not automatically win picking RB/RB and you don't automatically lose picking Manning #1.
I agree with this. First year in this type of league for me (typically 12 team redraft non ppr):

10 Team start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 3 WR/RB, TE, K, Def

All 6 Pt TD, 1 Pt PPR, 1 pt/10 rush/receiving, 1 pt/25 yards passing

QBs go early and often since we start 1 RB and WR so that takes away from the need for stud RB.

Starters

Manning 1.05

Brees 2.05

Palmer 2.08

Brady 3.02

Bulger 3.07

McNabb 4.07

Kitna 6.01

Young 6.02

Rivers 6.03

Romo 9.08

I have never picked a QB in the first round, but I did this year and then went S Smith (2nd) Jacobs (3rd), James (4th), Evans (5th) and drafted K Jones in the 8th hoping he comes back to give me the RB depth I need. I hope a solid WR play and timely pick ups will keep me competitive. Time will tell.

Exactly.

Yes and no. It also depends on what your other roster requirements are.I just did a 12 team draft last night where we start 2 QB, 3 WR, 3 RB, 2 TE, 2 DEF and a K. Needless to say, all starting lineup spots were inflated, so it wasn't just the QBs. For me, this made RBs gold.Here are the draft slots for the QBs. Obviously we're looking at some at least 1-2 rounds earlier than we would normall see them despite starting 3 RBs.Manning 1.11Romo 2.11 :confused: :confused: (new owner who LOVES Romo)Palmer 3.01Brees 3.03Brady 3.05 McNabb 4.01Bulger 4.04Kitna 6.01VY 6.06Rivers 6.08Ben 7.04Cutler 7.10Hasselback 8.06Leinart 8.10Alex Smith 9.01Here's what I ended up with:QBs: Big Ben (7th), Schaub (10th), Campbell (11th)RBs: Willie Parker (1st), Adrian Peterson (2nd), Ahman Green (4th), Lamont Jordan (5), Lendale (6)In that context, having to start 3 RBs, I felt I was better off with that combination of QBs who, worst case, are going to be good for 15 TDs or so each. (This *ISN'T* a 6pts/passing TD league).Now, looking at the teams who went QB early, they have Tatum Bell and Foster as their RB2/RB3. Another has Brandon Jackson as RB3. And in all cases the dropoff from there is even more severe.The one thing I noticed with start 2QB, even when the other spots are increased, that WRs definitely fell. I grabbed one early, but in general it was RBs and then QBs that went, where others might normally wait for a QB after WR1/2.
You took Adrian Peterson over Palmer and Brees in a start 2 QB league?!??!?!? No offense but... :thumbup: You could have totally owned with Palmer AND Brees on your team.

FYI, had my draft in this league...

Peyton went 1.5.

I went Fast Willie at 1.9 and then Marvin 2.2, rolling the dice that Brady/Palmer would make it back to me at 3.9...both did, I went Brady (have Palmer in another league). Palmer went 4.03, Brees right after, fairly late for a 6pt TD-across the board league, I thought, but what the hell, I was happy. I thought guys stuck to the RB theory to a fault, drafting risks like Lynch at 3.4, non PPR (and Randy Moss went 3.03, BEFORE Owens, Fitz, Roy, Housh, Colston, Andre, Evans, Walker, Driver! Then again, it's a NE-based league and this guy is a total homer, tok Maroney 2nd round, shocked he passed on Nrady for Moss in 3rd.....anyway, food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread