What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (2 Viewers)

A narrative could be written that with the horrible decision not to run the ball by Seattle turned Brady from a goat to the G.O.A.T.
First of all, Brady has put all six of his SB teams in position to win. The defense has given it up in both losses... Same would have been true tonight - and Brady would have got the blame?

So, congrats pats fans. Enjoy it - its the last in the Brady era..

Dolphins rising.

the butler did it!!

malcolm butler just enshrined himself in boston lore for all time --- only thing that could've been better is if johnny most had been calling that play

A narrative could be written that with the horrible decision not to run the ball by Seattle turned Brady from a goat to the G.O.A.T.
First of all, Brady has put all six of his SB teams in position to win. The defense has given it up in both losses... Same would have been true tonight - and Brady would have got the blame?

Dolphins rising.
you guys will eventually be right one of these years

in the meantime I hope you aren't betting against the pats

Congrats fellow Pats fans. Koolaid Larry, Run it up, NE Revival, busted knuckles, 12punch, shader, Rocket... It's been great going to battle with you guys.

Dolphins rising.
First sentiment is true.

I wouldn't count Brady out just yet, though.

Idk about you guys but after this season, with all the grief and the win at the end. I want some alternate uniforms.

Something dark. Unless they wanna make the red, white and blue striped ones a reality.
I'm partial to old man Pat and the red jerseys.

It was pretty special to share in the celebration with my five year old son who was going nuts down the stretch. He is still learning the game and only time will allow him to understand the significance of last night but the look on his face when they won it will stick with me for a lifetime.

Idk about you guys but after this season, with all the grief and the win at the end. I want some alternate uniforms.

Something dark. Unless they wanna make the red, white and blue striped ones a reality.
I love those unis and logo but unfortunately the fact is once they changed the unis and logo they have been a better franchise by about 700,000,000 percent...not to sound like an old-timer but it's truly amazing the two lives this franchise has had...from laughingstock to the king of the mountain...

It was pretty special to share in the celebration with my five year old son who was going nuts down the stretch. He is still learning the game and only time will allow him to understand the significance of last night but the look on his face when they won it will stick with me for a lifetime.
Agreed, my 14 year old son was really too young to remember the first 3 SB's and only had the ghosts of the last two to remember. To tackle him after the Butler INT and go nuts was incredible. I have already promised both him and my daughter we are going to the banner raising game at Gillette. I also told him I don't ever want to see him complain about the outcome of a sporting event for the rest of his life as bad beats go both ways.

This will be the fourth time my daughter has been to a banner raising and she's only 21. Told her not many people her age can say that.

I love those unis and logo but unfortunately the fact is once they changed the unis and logo they have been a better franchise by about 700,000,000 percent...not to sound like an old-timer but it's truly amazing the two lives this franchise has had...from laughingstock to the king of the mountain...
Yup. I haven't heard them called The Patsies during the RKK-BB-TB era.

Looking ahead, any ideas of who the likely opponent will be for the banner raising game?

In order of who I'd like to see:

Pittsburgh

Philly

Buffalo

For some reason I keep seeing Rex being the perfect scenario as far as the hype he would create, kinda the matchup I think the NFL/networks would want.

So what was the deal with Belichick not calling a time out in the last minute of the game? At the time, many were calling to allow Seattle the easy TD in order to get the ball back with as much time as possible. I doubt that was ever in NEs plans but why allow the seconds to waste away. It was like a game of chicken and which team could hold out the longest before calling the TO.

Great game!

So what was the deal with Belichick not calling a time out in the last minute of the game? At the time, many were calling to allow Seattle the easy TD in order to get the ball back with as much time as possible. I doubt that was ever in NEs plans but why allow the seconds to waste away. It was like a game of chicken and which team could hold out the longest before calling the TO.

Great game!
Unlike SB46 in which a FG would have won the game so the Pats let them score to conserve time (Giants likely don't miss the chip shot and kill the whole clock), this was a 4pt game and as last night proved, the TD wasn't guaranteed. I think Belichick decided that the primary goal was to stop Seattle from scoring and conserving time was a distant second. In his mind, using timeouts for the secondary goal directly conflicted with the first as it would have significantly helped with Seattle's clock management and perhaps changed the play calling. Instead, Belichick refused to help Seattle with its time management and forced them to manage their own play calling under the pressure of a ticking clock and one timeout. And it worked, bad percentages or not.

It wouldn't shock me if Belichick told every member of the D: "If any of you call timeout on the field, I will kill you. I don't care if you think you need time to reset the D while caught off guard by their formation or personnel. Make them execute no matter what."

Hightower getting surgery...he really raised his game this year...will be interesting to see what goes on with Mayo...he has a big contract but not sure what the cap ramifications currently are...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/report-donta-hightower-to-have-shoulder-surgery/
The tackle completed a fine season for Hightower that was made more impressive by the fact that Hightower played the final portion of it with a torn labrum in his shoulder. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Hightower will have surgery to repair the injury this offseason. Hightower has been on the injury report with a shoulder issue since Week 14 of the regular season, but only missed a meaningless Week 17 game
wow...that's badass

Looking ahead, any ideas of who the likely opponent will be for the banner raising game?

In order of who I'd like to see:

Pittsburgh

Philly

Buffalo

For some reason I keep seeing Rex being the perfect scenario as far as the hype he would create, kinda the matchup I think the NFL/networks would want.
I really doubt it is Buffalo, I would prefer Philly but I would guess Pittsburgh.

Dolphins rising.
Dolphins rising? Lol. This Patriots team was the youngest team to ever win a Super Bowl, so maybe the Dolphins are getting better..but the Pats aren't getting any older apparently :)

Hightower getting surgery...he really raised his game this year...will be interesting to see what goes on with Mayo...he has a big contract but not sure what the cap ramifications currently are...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/report-donta-hightower-to-have-shoulder-surgery/
Mayo: 2015 $7m in salary/bonuses. cap $10.6, cap hit if cut $6m. UFA 2018. Don't think he's getting cut until next off season when the cap hit drops to $2.4m and the salary increases $1m

What are the most pressing issues for the off season?

Deciding on the roster bonuses of Revis and Wilfork?

Who to resign of the UFAs: Branch, Carter, Chung, Gostkowski, Ridley, Siliga (I may have missed some)?

Pats free agents you missed(key players)-McCourty, Vereen, and Connolly. Siliga is

exclusive rights. Pats 2015 caps is 146+ mill they are at 150+ mill. Chung got re-signed.

What are the most pressing issues for the off season?

Deciding on the roster bonuses of Revis and Wilfork?

Who to resign of the UFAs: Branch, Carter, Chung, Gostkowski, Ridley, Siliga (I may have missed some)?
Pats free agents you missed(key players)-McCourty, Vereen, and Connolly. Siliga is

exclusive rights. Pats 2015 caps is 146+ mill they are at 150+ mill. Chung got re-signed.
Of these, very few are big dollar signings. I'd like to see, in order:

1. Vereen

2. McCourty

3. Connolly

4. Gostkowski

I love Gostkowski, he's been money and handled coming in behind the SB hero Vinatieri beautifully. I hope he remembers the circumstances that led to him being in NE and doesn't try to break the bank. Love to have him back, but at a cap friendly number.

I don't see Ridley getting resigned with Blount already signed for another year, Gray having shown flashes of being a similar runner, and the overall plug and play RB situation in NE over the years. Siliga and Branch I wouldn't expect to get much action on the FA market and could probably be resigned relatively cheaply. They're nice players, but not game changers.

Revis And Mccourty Are Without A Doubt The 2 Keys Issues

I Think Pats Have Fewer Pressing Issues Than Years Past, But Outside Those 2 Guys I'd Say The Lines On Both Sides Of The Ball.

I Think Chandler Jones And Solder Are Both On Their Last Year, And W're A Little Thin On The interior

Don't underestimate the importance of Connolly...he appeared to be the "glue" guy for this unit and from what I was hearing he was their leader...his presence settled them down and they definitely don't have anyone waiting in the wings to take over that spot...pressure up the middle has always been Brady's Achilles heel so you can't screw around on the interior line...I know he's "only a kicker" but I like the fact that this area is something you don't even think about...you can only invest so much in this position but Gostkowski is in his prime and should be for quite sometime...would hate to start over there...

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way...it feels like the Mankins thing happened three years ago...one of BB's greatest strengths as a GM is knowing when to part ways with a player...there are not too many instances where he really got burned...I think the biggest mistake in this area was Samuel...probably Law as well but they had Asante waiting in the wings so there was a solid plan B...

I Think K Is Tremendously Important - Just Ask Denver How Easy It Is To Find A Good K

Somebody In Another Thread Pointed Out How All These Belichick Sb Come Down To 3 Or 4 Points, So Hopefully that'll Get Worked out

They've been paying Ghost 2m+ the past three years.

I think they will resign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the defense disappointing in these playoffs. Maybe Baltimore was just finding that old magic, but I thought they moved the ball way easier than I was anticipating. Even the Seahawks -- a lot of catches made by those no-name WRs. I know Wilson throws it beautiful deep, but those are still low percentage plays.

I'm more worried about D than I thought I'd be.

I found the defense disappointing in these playoffs. Maybe Baltimore was just finding that old magic, but I thought they moved the ball way easier than I was anticipating. Even the Seahawks -- a lot of catches made by those no-name WRs. I know Wilson throws it beautiful deep, but those are still low percentage plays.

I'm more worried about D than I thought I'd be.
I thought they played great.

The Baltimore game was a grind. Being behind the entire game will do that. They BTFO of the Colts. They held the Seahawks to like 5 three and outs at the beginning of the game and in the 2nd half there was a 25 minute period where the Seahawks never scored.

He threw 4 td's including 2 4th quarter TDs to give his team the lead with just a few minutes left. Unless you want to give him grief for not being able to play defense, Brady did all he could to put his team in the lead.

I hope Patriots nation accepts me into the tribe. I officially swapped over from "Brady fan" to "Pats fan" during "deflategate", although there are some other reasons as well.

I was going nuts Sunday night, and I'd have to think that this super bowl win is only rivaled by the first super bowl win in terms of importance.

all are welcome on this bandwagon

if you're a fan of the pats that just means you're a fan of good football

I think 'importance' is a pretty subjective measure,but I can say for sure it's the most important this year.

I hate to be the first world problems guy, but there's been such a string of near misses and what ifs since the last sb win that it's really nice to finally hit the target.

Users who are viewing this thread