What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Instant replay: do you want it expanded? (1 Viewer)

Instant replay: do you want it expanded?

• Yes, it's needed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it has no place in baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Billy Bats

Footballguy
I am of the opinion that instant replay is needed in the game, especially in the playoffs.

I don't want balls and strikes involved, but a shoestring catch in the outfield, a close play at the plate, or a game changing home run that was foul should be able to be reviewed.

I would use a challenge system like the NFL uses. Each manager gets one challenge per game only. It's his right to ask for a replay on anything other than balls and strikes. Once he uses it, nothing else can be reviewed for his team, no matter the circumstance.

Even if they only use it for the playoffs, I think it is needed. Last night we seen a catch made in the OF in the 9th inning, all 6 umpires conferred and they all go it wrong. It didn't affect the outcome but very well could have. Then tonight we see an obvious out at 2nd base on Posey stealing. It turns out he's the only run of the game and the Giants win game one of their series. Every play, every pitch counts in the post-season, why not give the managers a chance to make a crucial play correct?

What says the baseball forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
They should just expand an umpiring crew by 1 and rotate people into a review booth - the NFL system is dumb and slow. Of course, I'm hoping they improve on pitch f/x and so we can get rid of umps calling balls and strikes, but thats just not gonna happen.

I would not want the challenge system. What if the umps blow multiple calls in a game? You only get the first screw up corrected?

I think they should have a group of 3 or 5 umps in a booth with multiple TVs and camera angels. It is usually pretty obvious pretty quick when there is a blown call. These guys think they see something, they hold the game for a second find the correct call, tell the umps on the field and move forward. It is quick and easy and corrects glaring mistakes by the crew on the field.

No. Umpiring is no worse or better than ever. What has changed in the world is:

1. Television technology to capture more/slower angles

2. A blogosphere needing content to opine upon

I'm a believer that bad calls do even out, and even in moments of the spotlight, like the Galaraga game, Don Denkinger, etc, we have those moments that live infamy but we think not of calls that might have built to those moments. Did Galaraga get a borderline strike early in the game? Ditto St. Louis once upon a time.

Too many variables and considering no officials in any sport make more calls in a season than baseball umpires, I feel pretty comfortable with their "hit" ratio.

I thought I wanted it but after watching how it was used in the LLWS, I think I don't want it other than what it is now. It was pianful watching those reviews. However they are all amateur umps so maybe it would go smoother in the pros.

No. Umpiring is no worse or better than ever. What has changed in the world is:

1. Television technology to capture more/slower angles

2. A blogosphere needing content to opine upon

I'm a believer that bad calls do even out, and even in moments of the spotlight, like the Galaraga game, Don Denkinger, etc, we have those moments that live infamy but we think not of calls that might have built to those moments. Did Galaraga get a borderline strike early in the game? Ditto St. Louis once upon a time.

Too many variables and considering no officials in any sport make more calls in a season than baseball umpires, I feel pretty comfortable with their "hit" ratio.
Can't say that I get your point. It's amazing how often plays are overturned in the NFL. I got a little tired of being sick to my stomach when a call was blown that might have changed the outcome of a game. To reason that "we got screwed that time" but we'll be the benefactor tomorrow seems a little silly. Get the call right when you can. I'm thinking about a play (Yankees/Twins) in last years play-offs that was CLEARLY blown - even with 6 umpires. Still dumbfounded a ball can land at least 6 inches fair and be called foul. Rangers/Rays the other night with a season on the line had a very debatable call at first that was HUGE... with replay it is probably reversed. We have the technology. Fix it if you can because oviously the umps are imperfect.

I never understood why someone would not want the correct call made if possible.

The only reason instant replay was not used when Babe Ruth played....was cause it was not invented.

I always thought that each stadium should just have a "tech ref" or something.

Guys sits in a booth, when flag is thrown, just radio up to him, he gets each available view once.

Make a call.

If you have to spend more that 10 seconds watching clips, the call was close enough to stand.

Users who are viewing this thread