What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting draft rule (1 Viewer)

Dexter Manley

Footballguy
Just joined another league at work. 10 team league, starts qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, dl, lb, db, & k. 20 round draft.

Here's the twist: you can't draft any backups until you draft a full starting lineup. For example, if you draft 2 rb's with your first 2 picks, you have to wait until at least the 11th round to draft another one. You are thus forced to draft even a kicker in the first 10 rounds (I'll be doing that in the 10th round, obviously).

And to make things even more complex, each team only gets like 5 waiver wire transactions the whole season.

As far as strategy goes, I'm treating this as 2 separate drafts. For the "first draft," which lasts the first 10 rounds, I'm thinking I'll generally just take the best available player that I have a starting spot in the lineup still available for.

For the "second draft" I'll just take the best available player and add the necessary depth I need for certain positions in the later rounds.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Just joined another league at work. 10 team league, starts qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, dl, lb, db, & k. 20 round draft.Here's the twist: you can't draft any backups until you draft a full starting lineup. For example, if you draft 2 rb's with your first 2 picks, you have to wait until at least the 11th round to draft another one. You are thus forced to draft even a kicker in the first 10 rounds (I'll be doing that in the 10th round, obviously).And to make things even more complex, each team only gets like 5 waiver wire transactions the whole season.As far as strategy goes, I'm treating this as 2 separate drafts. For the "first draft," which lasts the first 10 rounds, I'm thinking I'll generally just take the best available player that I have a starting spot in the lineup still available for. For the "second draft" I'll just take the best available player and add the necessary depth I need for certain positions in the later rounds. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Looks like a league ill have to miss

These kind of rules always scream out to me "Shady Commish!"

They make these rules in order to play to their strengths, not make the league fair.

Keep an eye on his transactions. I guarantee he goes over 5, and his reason will not be in the rulebook.

Examples:

"The guys I cut were injured so don't count. If you guys cut injured players you should let me know and they won't count either."

"I had bye week issues so didn't have a choice. Starting a legal lineup trumps all other rules."

Don't laugh, I've heard them before.

These kind of rules always scream out to me "Shady Commish!"They make these rules in order to play to their strengths, not make the league fair.Keep an eye on his transactions. I guarantee he goes over 5, and his reason will not be in the rulebook.
This reminds me of a few guys in my first ever FF league back in the mid-90s making the same kind of comments after I had won three straight seasons. Most of the owners were drafting QBs in the first round and in general doing what this league mandates -- filling in an entire starting lineup before any backups can be drafted. Meanwhile, I'm stockpiling depth and RB and WR and drafting TEs like Ben Coates in the fourth round. Shocking I know.My favorite rule proposal was even worse than this one. They wanted to set up the draft so that each round would dictate which player can be chosen!!I'm not sure about the crooked Commissioner angle. I think this is more a lazy players scenario. They don't want to have to do their homework. They want to rely more on luck of the draw than in draft preparation. Of course, it could be both a crooked Commish and lazy owners.

There's definitely no shadiness going on, as this league has been around forever, and pretty much had the same rules for the duration. I have a pretty good feeling it's filled with guppies. I guess last year, the guy with the #3 pick overall took Edge, lol.

But it does have some crazy scoring. It's your basic td heavy league, but there's also 1ppr, which I've never heard of in a td heavy league. Also, idp's get 1 pt/tackle, 3 pt/sack or int, and no pts for fumbles(?).

y'all are reading too much into it, maybe they want to be more of a simulation of real life

where you draft to BPA at the current need

y'all are reading too much into it, maybe they want to be more of a simulation of real lifewhere you draft to BPA at the current need
You mean like how the Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson while they still had Priest Holmes (although he had been injured and was older)?You mean like how the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson this season?I think it's an extremely poor setup and is designed (maybe intentionally, maybe not) to simplify the thought process and level the playing field.

Don't listen to the critics. For some folks, fantasy football only "counts" if there are exactly 12 teams which play a head-to-head schedule and everyone takes running backs for the first two rounds. Anything else is tough to comprehend. They don't like it because there isn't a pre-made cheatsheet for your type of league. You have to actually think about what you want to do.

The five transactions is the really tough part. Durability is a major concern, making guys like LT and Manning even more valuable. I could see it being fun, though.

I'm not sure about the crooked Commissioner angle. I think this is more a lazy players scenario. They don't want to have to do their homework. They want to rely more on luck of the draw than in draft preparation. Of course, it could be both a crooked Commish and lazy owners.
Normally I like your posts, but I hate this whole mindset that "Anything that's not a normal rule is a guppy rule written by guppies for guppies to increase the luck factor!"When last I checked, everyone in the league was still bound by the same rule. When last I checked, everyone in the league had just as much opportunity to take advantage of it as everyone else. To be honest, the only "guppy thinking" going on in this thread is all of the "sharks" immediately dismissing the rule out of hand as "weak" or "stupid". The *REAL* shark move would be to think about how they could use this rule to their advantage- because that's really what every rule is, an opportunity to gain an advantage over someone who doesn't understand the rule as well as you do. I love *ALL* rules because that just means more opportunity for me to take advantage of fools who, like you, are too busy dismissing the rule to consider its merits.
Just joined another league at work. 10 team league, starts qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, dl, lb, db, & k. 20 round draft.Here's the twist: you can't draft any backups until you draft a full starting lineup. For example, if you draft 2 rb's with your first 2 picks, you have to wait until at least the 11th round to draft another one. You are thus forced to draft even a kicker in the first 10 rounds (I'll be doing that in the 10th round, obviously).And to make things even more complex, each team only gets like 5 waiver wire transactions the whole season.As far as strategy goes, I'm treating this as 2 separate drafts. For the "first draft," which lasts the first 10 rounds, I'm thinking I'll generally just take the best available player that I have a starting spot in the lineup still available for. For the "second draft" I'll just take the best available player and add the necessary depth I need for certain positions in the later rounds. Anyone else have any other ideas?
I play in several leagues with "positional limits" to the draft (you have to draft 4 QBs, 6 RBs, 6 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 PKs, 2 Defs), which is similar to what's going on here, and I can tell you that there's a lot of gamesmanship involved. For instance, right off the bat, I'd say that your instinct to take a kicker in the 10th is a BAD instinct. You know who you should be taking in the 10th round? Your #2 RB, that's who. Why? Well, because most people are going to be getting a top-20 RB in the 2nd round because they don't understand the rule, while you are absolutely GUARANTEED a top-24 RB in the 10th round (very likely a top-20 RB, since you know there are going to be four people who go off the board and draft RBs who aren't in your top-23). The choice now becomes do you want to draft someone in the RB16 range in the 2nd round, or would you rather draft RB20 in the 10th round? This rule increases the value of the studs at every position, meaning RB/Manning/Gates or Manning/RB/Gates is actually one of the true standout strategies in a league with this setup (you still get two top-20 RBs, and getting Manning/Gates on top of that is positively crushing). Hell, I'd even be tempted to go Manning/Smith/Gates, or Smith/Chad Johnson/Gates. If you have the Draft Dominator, change the VBD Baseline from "Joe's Secret Formula" to "Worst Starter" and notice what it does to the VBD values- WR's jump up through the roof, RBs fall down through the floor, and the studs at all the other positions are all worth a top-3 round selection (I just plugged it in using standard FBGs scoring and it has Manning 6th, Gates 9th, and Chicago's defense 18th overall). Really, Worst Starter is the VBD baseline you should be using during the first 10 rounds- Joe's Secret Formula is an adjustment designed to take into account how many of the top 100 players taken will be at each position, but that's unnecessary here, because there's no speculation involved- we know EXACTLY how many WRs will be taken in the first 120 picks.So, anyway, long story short... grab an uberstud RB if you're at the top of the first round, but otherwise, ignore RBs and take advantage of the fact that your leaguemates are going to be slow to adapt by filling up your roster with uberstuds at every other position while still landing two top-20 RBs in the meantime. I mean, imagine drafting at the #8 spot and going Peyton Manning, Antonio Gates, Javon Walker, Lee Evans, Chicago, Adam Vinatieri, Jerricho Cotchery, Edgerrin James, Thomas Jones (obviously you'd do it differently since your league is 2-WR and IDP, but I'm just illustrating a point).Also, another tip- pay attention to how many of each player have been drafted. Once everyone else in your league fills up on one position, then ignore that position until round 10. For an extreme example, if you drafted first, and everyone in the league went RB-RB in the first two rounds, then when it got back to you you'd know that you aren't going to touch an RB until round 10, because you know that no more will be drafted no matter what. This leads to a bit of gamesmanship where, if you and another guy are the last people to fill a position, you have to decide whether you want to fill it now or just wait until the other guy fills it first and grab your guy in the 10th round, instead.One other suggestion- if you can, try to increase the number of starters so there's an odd number of rounds, because otherwise the person with the #1 overall pick is also getting the #1 pick of the "second draft", as you called it. That means the Tomlinson owner isn't just guaranteed Tomlinson, he can also go WR/TE at the 2-3 turn, then go QB/WR at 4-5, and he'll still wind up with two additional top-25 backs (in addition to Tomlinson), guaranteed. If he's picking first in the "first draft", he should be picking last in the "second draft", and since most league owners probably wouldn't understand that, it'd be easier increasing your starters than it would be trying to sell your fellow owners on an 11th-round-reversal.Anyway, that is the *REAL* "shark way" to approach this rule. Whining about rules is for guppies only, taking advantage of rules and using them to dominate the competition is what being a shark is all about.

While I agree with SSOG that you have to be willing to take advantage of the rules you have, it does sound as though this set of rules is set up to try and help guppies compete with people who know more. Would I like it as an owner in the league? No. Would I find a way to use it to my advantage though, absolutely.

I'm not sure about the crooked Commissioner angle. I think this is more a lazy players scenario. They don't want to have to do their homework. They want to rely more on luck of the draw than in draft preparation. Of course, it could be both a crooked Commish and lazy owners.
Normally I like your posts, but I hate this whole mindset that "Anything that's not a normal rule is a guppy rule written by guppies for guppies to increase the luck factor!"When last I checked, everyone in the league was still bound by the same rule. When last I checked, everyone in the league had just as much opportunity to take advantage of it as everyone else. To be honest, the only "guppy thinking" going on in this thread is all of the "sharks" immediately dismissing the rule out of hand as "weak" or "stupid". The *REAL* shark move would be to think about how they could use this rule to their advantage- because that's really what every rule is, an opportunity to gain an advantage over someone who doesn't understand the rule as well as you do. I love *ALL* rules because that just means more opportunity for me to take advantage of fools who, like you, are too busy dismissing the rule to consider its merits.
I play in several leagues with "positional limits" to the draft (you have to draft 4 QBs, 6 RBs, 6 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 PKs, 2 Defs), which is similar to what's going on here, and I can tell you that there's a lot of gamesmanship involved. For instance, right off the bat, I'd say that your instinct to take a kicker in the 10th is a BAD instinct. You know who you should be taking in the 10th round? Your #2 RB, that's who. Why? Well, because most people are going to be getting a top-20 RB in the 2nd round because they don't understand the rule, while you are absolutely GUARANTEED a top-24 RB in the 10th round (very likely a top-20 RB, since you know there are going to be four people who go off the board and draft RBs who aren't in your top-23). The choice now becomes do you want to draft someone in the RB16 range in the 2nd round, or would you rather draft RB20 in the 10th round? This rule increases the value of the studs at every position, meaning RB/Manning/Gates or Manning/RB/Gates is actually one of the true standout strategies in a league with this setup (you still get two top-20 RBs, and getting Manning/Gates on top of that is positively crushing). Hell, I'd even be tempted to go Manning/Smith/Gates, or Smith/Chad Johnson/Gates. If you have the Draft Dominator, change the VBD Baseline from "Joe's Secret Formula" to "Worst Starter" and notice what it does to the VBD values- WR's jump up through the roof, RBs fall down through the floor, and the studs at all the other positions are all worth a top-3 round selection (I just plugged it in using standard FBGs scoring and it has Manning 6th, Gates 9th, and Chicago's defense 18th overall). Really, Worst Starter is the VBD baseline you should be using during the first 10 rounds- Joe's Secret Formula is an adjustment designed to take into account how many of the top 100 players taken will be at each position, but that's unnecessary here, because there's no speculation involved- we know EXACTLY how many WRs will be taken in the first 120 picks.So, anyway, long story short... grab an uberstud RB if you're at the top of the first round, but otherwise, ignore RBs and take advantage of the fact that your leaguemates are going to be slow to adapt by filling up your roster with uberstuds at every other position while still landing two top-20 RBs in the meantime. I mean, imagine drafting at the #8 spot and going Peyton Manning, Antonio Gates, Javon Walker, Lee Evans, Chicago, Adam Vinatieri, Jerricho Cotchery, Edgerrin James, Thomas Jones (obviously you'd do it differently since your league is 2-WR and IDP, but I'm just illustrating a point).Also, another tip- pay attention to how many of each player have been drafted. Once everyone else in your league fills up on one position, then ignore that position until round 10. For an extreme example, if you drafted first, and everyone in the league went RB-RB in the first two rounds, then when it got back to you you'd know that you aren't going to touch an RB until round 10, because you know that no more will be drafted no matter what. This leads to a bit of gamesmanship where, if you and another guy are the last people to fill a position, you have to decide whether you want to fill it now or just wait until the other guy fills it first and grab your guy in the 10th round, instead.One other suggestion- if you can, try to increase the number of starters so there's an odd number of rounds, because otherwise the person with the #1 overall pick is also getting the #1 pick of the "second draft", as you called it. That means the Tomlinson owner isn't just guaranteed Tomlinson, he can also go WR/TE at the 2-3 turn, then go QB/WR at 4-5, and he'll still wind up with two additional top-25 backs (in addition to Tomlinson), guaranteed. If he's picking first in the "first draft", he should be picking last in the "second draft", and since most league owners probably wouldn't understand that, it'd be easier increasing your starters than it would be trying to sell your fellow owners on an 11th-round-reversal.Anyway, that is the *REAL* "shark way" to approach this rule. Whining about rules is for guppies only, taking advantage of rules and using them to dominate the competition is what being a shark is all about.
Perfect post and perfect approach.

SSOG stole the words right out of my mouth.

Also note these same concepts he talks about translate pretty well to auto-drafts (God forbid) in which the software fills starting lineups first, then drafts reserves.

SSOG said:
Great post. I've thought about some of the things you've mentioned, but hadn't considered it in this great of detail. You make a great point about not necessarily having to draft a kicker in the 10th if one or more of the other positions have been maxed out. I've got the 9th pick, so I'll come up with a list of the top 12 players I want, and then adjust the rest of my "first draft" in the remaining 8 rounds depending on what other positions have nearly been drafted out.

These kind of rules always scream out to me "Shady Commish!"They make these rules in order to play to their strengths, not make the league fair.Keep an eye on his transactions. I guarantee he goes over 5, and his reason will not be in the rulebook.Examples:"The guys I cut were injured so don't count. If you guys cut injured players you should let me know and they won't count either.""I had bye week issues so didn't have a choice. Starting a legal lineup trumps all other rules."Don't laugh, I've heard them before.
Had a commish with a league like that. Could only draft 1 backup for each spot. Start 3 WRs and you only get 1 backup. Reason? He got sick of players he wanted sitting on other people's bench. "I wanted Brady and some other guy had him and never played him so now nobody can hoard players." That commish won 4 out of 5 years. I didn't know these rules and it was low dough so I stuck with it, destroyed the league and haven't seen him since.

With that rule this is what I would do:

Draft a QB, hopefully Manning, in the first round.

Draft a RB in the second, but then wait to draft your second RB until late in the first 10 rounds.

WR third round.

etc

SSOG is a 100% correct. The first thing I though of when I read the first post was that I'd take my RB2 in rounds 10 (and 11 for RB 3) and load up on studs everywhere else. And if you don't like the WR2 the falls to you, then laod up everywhere else and grab nearly the same guy in Round 9.

I'd be interested to see how a draft would go in a league full of savvy owners who fully understood the implications of these rules.

Join a league without stupid rules?

Join a league without stupid rules?
In all fairness it is different, but not stupid. I really like the thoughts of SSOG in the linked thread. If the rule was intended to make things easier for the owners It would be fun to exploit it and use it against them.

Assuming it is a serpentine draft.. very unfair.The first pick will get the best backup RB as well. The "backup" draft should start on an even round.

SSOG's post is among the Top 5 I have ever read in the Pool, yellow or blue.

I would take RB if draafting 1 through 4 (down thru Johnson and Gore). Then Manning, Palmer or Brady. At 8 I would start with a WR.

What's next? A league where you can only draft RBs in rounds 1-4, QBs in the 5th and 6th, WRs 7 through 10, Kickers in the 11th and D/ST in the 12th? Seriously, I would rather not play.

Alright, I just completed my draft today. I'd like to thank everyone who posted advice, and specifically SSOG (5* poster) for what is one of the best posts I've ever read in the Shark forum. I had the 9th pick overall in this 10 team league with 3 add-ons(only 3 FA signing allowed, but u dont have to cut anyone), and since there were 10 starters, I was definitely at a disadvantage since the #1 pick essentially had 2 #1's. But I wasn't going to let that deter me. $$$ is only part of the equation in this league, alot of pride is involved too since the other 9 league members are STL transplants, and Husker haters. Like I said earlier, this league has been around for years, and there's absolutely no shadiness involved. Here's what I did.

1. LJ -- everyone was scared of him, and this was a no brainer at the #9 hole. Manning and Gates were the 2 picks immediately b4 me.

2. Palmer -- S. Smith and CJ were taken after my first pick, so Palmer was the biggest non-defensive stud left. At this point I planned on taking my RB2 in the 10th round.

3. Willie Parker -- inexplicably, Parker was still available at this point, and thus I altered my strategy here. Since the owner with the 10th pick was already full at wr, I knew I was going to take a non-wr at this pick, and take a wr in the 4th. Parker was an easy call here.

4. TJ Whosyourdaddy -- the best available wr on my board. I now planned on taking my WR2 in the 10th round.

5. Adrian Wilson -- clearly the top db, imo. i planned on taking lb next and Ryans and Bullock were still available.

6. DemMeco Ryans

7. Terell Suggs -- owner in the 10 spot already had a te, so the best dlineman available was a clear choice here.

8. Shockey -- best te available

9. Gostkowski -- as SSOG so eloquently pointed out, if you plan on drafting a kicker in the 10th round in this format, you have the wrong mindset.

10. Lee Evans -- As the wr's went off the board, I knew either Evans or Driver would be available here, and actually both were, lol.

11. Driver -- People in regular draft formats complain about the #1 pick having an unfair advantage. Well that's crumbs on the table compared to the #1 pick in this format. I really wanted a rb, but rbs flew off the board ahead of me, and I couldn't pull the trigger on JLewis w/ Driver still available.

12. LaMont Jordan -- I really needed a rb here, and Jordan was the best available, imo.

13. Tatum Bell -- Went for more depth at rb. Owner in the 10spot picked Dunn and JLew previously, so I determined he wouldn't take Norwood.

14. Norwood -- My read was correct.

15. Witten -- te's were going off the board, and somehow he was still available. I knew Mr. 10spot would take him if I didn't.

16. Antonio Pierce -- top 5 lb imo. I expect the Gmen to lose alot of games, and AP should accumulate alot of tackles as opponents try and run out the clock.

17. Santonio Holmes -- top wr available

18. Michael Turner -- I thought about him at 17, but I determined Dr. 10spot was more likely to take a db over another rb.

19. Bob Sanders -- I'll take him as my 2nd string db all day.

20. Grossman -- I waited on a slew of qb's and he was the best available.

21. Robert Mathis

22. Demetrius Williams

Analysis and what I learned:

-- No matter what the drafting rules are, there are exploitable.

-- In this format, you want to get as many top studs at their respective positions as u can, and to do so you will have to take some players much earlier than u would in a normal draft.

-- It's imperative that you keep track of how many players have been taken at each position, and determine when you have an acceptable range of players that will be left available if you decide to wait on a particular position until the end of the "first draft."

-- THEORY: Leagues with this type of draft format will be significantly fishier than normal drafts, the vast majority of the time.

-- Poker Analogy: regular league drafts are like NL holdem. You can do whatever you want. Draft with this type of structure or something similar are like Limit Holdem. You don't have as many move u can make. It's a different game, but still just as profitable if u adjust properly.

Alright, I just completed my draft today. I'd like to thank everyone who posted advice, and specifically SSOG (5* poster) for what is one of the best posts I've ever read in the Shark forum. I had the 9th pick overall in this 10 team league with 3 add-ons(only 3 FA signing allowed, but u dont have to cut anyone), and since there were 10 starters, I was definitely at a disadvantage since the #1 pick essentially had 2 #1's. But I wasn't going to let that deter me. $$$ is only part of the equation in this league, alot of pride is involved too since the other 9 league members are STL transplants, and Husker haters. Like I said earlier, this league has been around for years, and there's absolutely no shadiness involved. Here's what I did. 1. LJ -- everyone was scared of him, and this was a no brainer at the #9 hole. Manning and Gates were the 2 picks immediately b4 me.2. Palmer -- S. Smith and CJ were taken after my first pick, so Palmer was the biggest non-defensive stud left. At this point I planned on taking my RB2 in the 10th round.3. Willie Parker -- inexplicably, Parker was still available at this point, and thus I altered my strategy here. Since the owner with the 10th pick was already full at wr, I knew I was going to take a non-wr at this pick, and take a wr in the 4th. Parker was an easy call here.4. TJ Whosyourdaddy -- the best available wr on my board. I now planned on taking my WR2 in the 10th round.5. Adrian Wilson -- clearly the top db, imo. i planned on taking lb next and Ryans and Bullock were still available.6. DemMeco Ryans7. Terell Suggs -- owner in the 10 spot already had a te, so the best dlineman available was a clear choice here.8. Shockey -- best te available9. Gostkowski -- as SSOG so eloquently pointed out, if you plan on drafting a kicker in the 10th round in this format, you have the wrong mindset.10. Lee Evans -- As the wr's went off the board, I knew either Evans or Driver would be available here, and actually both were, lol. 11. Driver -- People in regular draft formats complain about the #1 pick having an unfair advantage. Well that's crumbs on the table compared to the #1 pick in this format. I really wanted a rb, but rbs flew off the board ahead of me, and I couldn't pull the trigger on JLewis w/ Driver still available.12. LaMont Jordan -- I really needed a rb here, and Jordan was the best available, imo.13. Tatum Bell -- Went for more depth at rb. Owner in the 10spot picked Dunn and JLew previously, so I determined he wouldn't take Norwood.14. Norwood -- My read was correct.15. Witten -- te's were going off the board, and somehow he was still available. I knew Mr. 10spot would take him if I didn't.16. Antonio Pierce -- top 5 lb imo. I expect the Gmen to lose alot of games, and AP should accumulate alot of tackles as opponents try and run out the clock.17. Santonio Holmes -- top wr available18. Michael Turner -- I thought about him at 17, but I determined Dr. 10spot was more likely to take a db over another rb.19. Bob Sanders -- I'll take him as my 2nd string db all day.20. Grossman -- I waited on a slew of qb's and he was the best available. 21. Robert Mathis22. Demetrius WilliamsAnalysis and what I learned: -- No matter what the drafting rules are, there are exploitable.-- In this format, you want to get as many top studs at their respective positions as u can, and to do so you will have to take some players much earlier than u would in a normal draft. -- It's imperative that you keep track of how many players have been taken at each position, and determine when you have an acceptable range of players that will be left available if you decide to wait on a particular position until the end of the "first draft."-- THEORY: Leagues with this type of draft format will be significantly fishier than normal drafts, the vast majority of the time.-- Poker Analogy: regular league drafts are like NL holdem. You can do whatever you want. Draft with this type of structure or something similar are like Limit Holdem. You don't have as many move u can make. It's a different game, but still just as profitable if u adjust properly.
So this is your starting lineup:PalmerLarry JohnsonWillie ParkerT.J. HoushLee EvansJeremy ShockeySteven GostkowskiAdrian WilsonDemeco RyansTerrell SuggsThat's just dirty. Even for a 10-teamer, that's wicked good. According to my rankings, you've got the #2 QB, two top-8 RBs, two top-10 WRs, the #2 TE, and a top-3 kicker. I don't do IDP, so I'm assuming that you knew what you were doing there, but that team is sick. You did a good job of showing flexibility when Parker fell and adjusting your draft plan on the fly.

Users who are viewing this thread