What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Tidbit From MIN Practice (1 Viewer)

Kevin Ashcraft

Footballguy
From Our Blogger.......

May 24, 2007, 14:18

Vikings :: RB

RBs Taylor & Peterson In Same Backfield

Judd Zulgad, Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Late in the practice today, the Minnesota Vikings may have given a glimpse into the future, as both RB Chester Taylor and rookie RB Adrian Peterson were both used in the same backfield in a third-down situation.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=715

From Our Blogger.......

Late in the practice today, the Minnesota Vikings may have given a glimpse into the future, as both RB Chester Taylor and rookie RB Adrian Peterson were both used in the same backfield in a third-down situation.

ala Deuce and Reggie? Could be beneficial to both. Solid! :banned:

ala Deuce and Reggie? Could be beneficial to both. Solid! :shrug:
I've said this all along.If he proves to be as good of a pass catcher as he was at his pro day, there's no reason to think that they wouldn't split AP out like New Orleans did Reggie Bush.I STILL can't believe AP is a Viking! :mellow:

ala Deuce and Reggie? Could be beneficial to both. Solid! :thumbup:
I've said this all along.If he proves to be as good of a pass catcher as he was at his pro day, there's no reason to think that they wouldn't split AP out like New Orleans did Reggie Bush.

I STILL can't believe AP is a Viking! :thumbdown:
They may decide to split him out like Bush, but he is no where near Bush as a reciever and I doubt he would be good in that role.

They may decide to split him out like Bush, but he is no where near Bush as a reciever and I doubt he would be good in that role.
I have to agree with this. When Bush was drafted Mel Kiper even said that if he played WR only he would have still been a 1st round pick. Apparently the Vikings were suprised with how well Peterson caught the ball out of the backfield during mini-camp but that's a far cry from what Bush offers the Saints when he splits out.The Taylor/Peterson backfield is fine but I do not envision those two backs being back there together very often like Deuce and Bush are.

From Our Blogger.......

thought it was interesting tat Williamson stayed after practice to do some extra work on catching

I have to agree with this. When Bush was drafted Mel Kiper even said that if he played WR only he would have still been a 1st round pick. Apparently the Vikings were suprised with how well Peterson caught the ball out of the backfield during mini-camp but that's a far cry from what Bush offers the Saints when he splits out.The Taylor/Peterson backfield is fine but I do not envision those two backs being back there together very often like Deuce and Bush are.
I didn't mean it quite like it sounded. I don't expect Peterson to catch anywhere near 88 receptions.I only meant that he'll be used from time to time in that fashion, but nowhere near the amount Bush is.But I think he WILL be good in that role. Who knew Steven Jackson could catch like he did last year?

If Peterson is already "in the same backfield as Taylor" you better watch out. Its not even TC and Peterson is getting, realistically, first team reps. Peterson's ability to make game-breaking plays, as opposed to Taylors inability will force the ball to Peterson's hands more often than not.

Answer this question: what does Taylor bring to the table that Peterson does not? I think anyone may struggle to find a strong case for Taylor. Peterson is bigger, faster, more elusive, more explosive, more tread on the tire, etc. Why wouldn't Peterson get the ball all of the time then? Why would you really want two guys in there that do the same thing, except one being better in almost every way? :clap:

This is why I don't think a Bush/McAllister situation makes sense. The NO group compliment eachother very well. If the Vikes were going to try this, it would be with a guy like Mewelde Moore. They didn't try this at all last year, so I wouldn't really expect them to do it this upcoming year. With the state of their passing game though, you never know what they might try to help themselves out.

I think Taylor has experience on Peterson but not much else. Unfortunately for Taylor, I don't think that that is enough to support him getting the majority of the carries. IMO Taylor goes in to protect their golden boy every once in a while to give him a breather. I think this is the case from day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
given the receivers they have. maybe they plan on bringing back the wishbone?
Bring in an athletic fullback and let Tavaris Jackson QB the bone baby! Does he have any wheels? Hell they could even bring Switzer in to orchestrate the bone one more time.

Not surprised to hear this. You have a solid RB and investment in Taylor. Using both makes sense for now. Whenever it works best for Minny they will part ways with Taylor. Until then, take advantage of your assets. Take some pressure off your young QB and allow him to develop.

given the receivers they have. maybe they plan on bringing back the wishbone?
Bring in an athletic fullback and let Tavaris Jackson QB the bone baby! Does he have any wheels? Hell they could even bring Switzer in to orchestrate the bone one more time.
i don't know about a base scheme ( :) ), but that WOULD be fun to see tarvaris rock the bone...* also, :( , even outstanding, by DocT (#15 in this thread)... don't know if it will play out like that (hope it does as a recent AD owner), but incisively reasoned & one of the best posts i've read all off-season... :unsure:i suppose one counter to the premise is that, given ADs durability concerns, they may ease him into a more feature RB role, which not many would dispute he seems destined for sooner than later, but just may differ on the timing...

Chester Taylor Folks who traded their team away to draft Peterson onwers: keep telling yourself Peterson Taylor won't kill Taylor Peterson's value.
fixed
Taylor may keep ADP out of the top 10 in '07 but '08 and beyond is a different story. I think that if anyone traded up to grab ADP they're thinking long term and I personally think it'll pay off for them, in a big way.

If Peterson is already "in the same backfield as Taylor" you better watch out. Its not even TC and Peterson is getting, realistically, first team reps. Peterson's ability to make game-breaking plays, as opposed to Taylors inability will force the ball to Peterson's hands more often than not.Answer this question: what does Taylor bring to the table that Peterson does not? I think anyone may struggle to find a strong case for Taylor. Peterson is bigger, faster, more elusive, more explosive, more tread on the tire, etc. Why wouldn't Peterson get the ball all of the time then? Why would you really want two guys in there that do the same thing, except one being better in almost every way? :no:This is why I don't think a Bush/McAllister situation makes sense. The NO group compliment eachother very well. If the Vikes were going to try this, it would be with a guy like Mewelde Moore. They didn't try this at all last year, so I wouldn't really expect them to do it this upcoming year. With the state of their passing game though, you never know what they might try to help themselves out.I think Taylor has experience on Peterson but not much else. Unfortunately for Taylor, I don't think that that is enough to support him getting the majority of the carries. IMO Taylor goes in to protect their golden boy every once in a while to give him a breather. I think this is the case from day 1.
:thumbup:

If Peterson is already "in the same backfield as Taylor" you better watch out. Its not even TC and Peterson is getting, realistically, first team reps. Peterson's ability to make game-breaking plays, as opposed to Taylors inability will force the ball to Peterson's hands more often than not.

Answer this question: what does Taylor bring to the table that Peterson does not? I think anyone may struggle to find a strong case for Taylor. Peterson is bigger, faster, more elusive, more explosive, more tread on the tire, etc. Why wouldn't Peterson get the ball all of the time then? Why would you really want two guys in there that do the same thing, except one being better in almost every way? :confused:

This is why I don't think a Bush/McAllister situation makes sense. The NO group compliment eachother very well. If the Vikes were going to try this, it would be with a guy like Mewelde Moore. They didn't try this at all last year, so I wouldn't really expect them to do it this upcoming year. With the state of their passing game though, you never know what they might try to help themselves out.

I think Taylor has experience on Peterson but not much else. Unfortunately for Taylor, I don't think that that is enough to support him getting the majority of the carries. IMO Taylor goes in to protect their golden boy every once in a while to give him a breather. I think this is the case from day 1.
I see this playing out over the next 1-2 years, but no as much this year. The timeline will likely be driven by 2 factors:1. Taylor's contract. He's not being paid RB1 money to sit on the bench so he's going to get some PT. How much will be determined by my 2nd point:

2. Peterson's ability to pass protect. If Peterson is effective at pass blockeing then that's 1 more reason he might move Taylor off the field sooner rather than later. As most of you know, they are starting what amounts to a rookie at QB so pass protection will be a key element in determining Taylor's PT. They have to have someone pass protecting for Jackson. If Peterson is not able then Taylor will see more time. Pass blocking is one of the most difficult adjustments for college players to make so don't be surprised if he struggles at first.

AnonymousBob said:
zadok said:
JAA said:
Kit Fisto said:
Chester Taylor Folks who traded their team away to draft Peterson onwers: keep telling yourself Peterson Taylor won't kill Taylor Peterson's value.
fixed
Puuuulease. Taylor is average. Peterson is special.
Simply because one is special and the other one isn't doesn't mean they're incapable of hampering one another's value.
The phrase was "kill Peterson's value". That isn't even close to true, even in Redrafts.

DocT said:
If Peterson is already "in the same backfield as Taylor" you better watch out. Its not even TC and Peterson is getting, realistically, first team reps. Peterson's ability to make game-breaking plays, as opposed to Taylors inability will force the ball to Peterson's hands more often than not.Answer this question: what does Taylor bring to the table that Peterson does not? I think anyone may struggle to find a strong case for Taylor. Peterson is bigger, faster, more elusive, more explosive, more tread on the tire, etc. Why wouldn't Peterson get the ball all of the time then? Why would you really want two guys in there that do the same thing, except one being better in almost every way? :own3d:This is why I don't think a Bush/McAllister situation makes sense. The NO group compliment eachother very well. If the Vikes were going to try this, it would be with a guy like Mewelde Moore. They didn't try this at all last year, so I wouldn't really expect them to do it this upcoming year. With the state of their passing game though, you never know what they might try to help themselves out.I think Taylor has experience on Peterson but not much else. Unfortunately for Taylor, I don't think that that is enough to support him getting the majority of the carries. IMO Taylor goes in to protect their golden boy every once in a while to give him a breather. I think this is the case from day 1.
experience in the NFLexperience in the Systembetter injury track record

Quick, name the last time a 1st round RB replaced a productive veteran from game one of his rookie year?

Didn't happen with Reggie, Maroney, DeAngelo, or Addai last year. It's not like Maroney , Deangelo, or Addai had stiff competition either.

Didn't happen with Brown or Benson the year before, and Cadillac got the chance because they didn't have anyone else. Benson was set to kill Jones' value back then too because he was special and Jones was average.

Back another year? Jackson didn't unseat an aging Faulk as a rookie and Kevin Jones needed only to beat out Bryson and Pinner for playing time. Chris Perry? Still waiting.

Go back another year to McGahee and LJ, and it's the same story... not that it really applies to McGahee, but it took Henry getting hurt and struggling for him to take the job away in year 2.

Every year, we hear about the special rookie that's going to unseat the productive veteran from game one of his rookie year. It doesn't happen.

Peterson should have a long and successful career. I don't expect him to kill Taylor's value in 2007 though. Taylor will likely drop to being a weak RB2 or RB3 type though.

Steelers4Life said:
Quick, name the last time a 1st round RB replaced a productive veteran from game one of his rookie year?Didn't happen with Reggie, Maroney, DeAngelo, or Addai last year. It's not like Maroney , Deangelo, or Addai had stiff competition either. Didn't happen with Brown or Benson the year before, and Cadillac got the chance because they didn't have anyone else. Benson was set to kill Jones' value back then too because he was special and Jones was average.Back another year? Jackson didn't unseat an aging Faulk as a rookie and Kevin Jones needed only to beat out Bryson and Pinner for playing time. Chris Perry? Still waiting.Go back another year to McGahee and LJ, and it's the same story... not that it really applies to McGahee, but it took Henry getting hurt and struggling for him to take the job away in year 2.Every year, we hear about the special rookie that's going to unseat the productive veteran from game one of his rookie year. It doesn't happen.Peterson should have a long and successful career. I don't expect him to kill Taylor's value in 2007 though. Taylor will likely drop to being a weak RB2 or RB3 type though.
while bush didn't dislodge deuce from starting position from game one, by the end of the season, in PPR leagues he probably outscored him (in one league i checked, bush was #9 RB & deuce #13)...you are probably right... making conservative projections on rookies is the safe play...in case of LJ, he had priest in front of him who put together one of the better few season runs in league history, whereas taylor doesn't quite fall into that elite category and won't be as significant an obstacle blocking ADs path to starting (or a larger share of the carries and potential feature RB role in time)...bush is a great all around talent, ala westbrook, but as a pure runner, i think peterson is better than any RB from past few classes, so it wouldn't come as a huge surprise if he outproduces some of those comparitively less gifted rookies...

Steelers4Life said:
Every year, we hear about the special rookie that's going to unseat the productive veteran from game one of his rookie year. It doesn't happen.
To be fair though, of those guys only Bush was considered as "special" a prospect as ADP, and one of his weaknesses (unlike ADP) was considered to be his aility to carry the load. That's also neglecting to mention that Deuce is muich better than Chester and Bush still got a ton of work.

Family Matters said:
I see this playing out over the next 1-2 years, but no as much this year. The timeline will likely be driven by 2 factors:

1. Taylor's contract. He's not being paid RB1 money to sit on the bench so he's going to get some PT. How much will be determined by my 2nd point:

2. Peterson's ability to pass protect. If Peterson is effective at pass blockeing then that's 1 more reason he might move Taylor off the field sooner rather than later. As most of you know, they are starting what amounts to a rookie at QB so pass protection will be a key element in determining Taylor's PT. They have to have someone pass protecting for Jackson. If Peterson is not able then Taylor will see more time. Pass blocking is one of the most difficult adjustments for college players to make so don't be surprised if he struggles at first.
Is Taylor making RB1 money? I thought his contract was in the 4 year/$13 million range...they gave Bobby Wade a 5 year/$15 million deal, and I don't think he is a staple in their offense. I think they have Taylor at a bargain price and can use him any way (backup or starter) and still get their money's worth out of the guy. Peterson is head and shoulders better, but Taylor is valuable.

Family Matters said:
I see this playing out over the next 1-2 years, but no as much this year. The timeline will likely be driven by 2 factors:

1. Taylor's contract. He's not being paid RB1 money to sit on the bench so he's going to get some PT. How much will be determined by my 2nd point:

Is Taylor making RB1 money? I thought his contract was in the 4 year/$13 million range...they gave Bobby Wade a 5 year/$15 million deal, and I don't think he is a staple in their offense. I think they have Taylor at a bargain price and can use him any way (backup or starter) and still get their money's worth out of the guy. Peterson is head and shoulders better, but Taylor is valuable.
Remember that the cap has increased considerably the last 2 years so you can't really compare the numbers without taking that into consideration. Here's the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364242 It's a 4 year $14.1 mil with $5.6 mil guarenteed and the guarentee is all that matters. If you want to argue that's not starter money then so be it. It sure isn't back up money. He's not going to get Edge type money as has never started. Again, whenever they can get out of the deal is when they'll likely do so. With only 1 year in to date it's going to be a big cap hit to make a move now. Also, I think 303 carries and 42 receptions are a staple in the offense.The most important part is point number 2. If Peterson can't handle the blitz pick up then he's going to keep Taylor in the mix. I agree that Peterson is way better than Taylor and obviously so does Minny. But they will not allow their QB to get injured over it.

Users who are viewing this thread