What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

We're halfway through until Ipad 2 gets released. If Apple puts a webcam on it, I'll be buying it on day one. I can live with some of the other shortcomings but a webcam would allow me to fully retire my 11" notebook for media consumption.
Cal,How do you know this? I wonder if we early adopters should sell while the sellin' is good. Then again, not sure how long I could do without this thing.
I love my iPad. There is no way i'll sell mine.

For what its worth they were sold out a saturday in NJ when I went in to buy mine. Went on the waiting list they said could take 7-10 days. They called me two days later with one waiting for me.
Thanks foo, keeping my fingers crossed.

Otis said:
California said:
We're halfway through until Ipad 2 gets released. If Apple puts a webcam on it, I'll be buying it on day one. I can live with some of the other shortcomings but a webcam would allow me to fully retire my 11" notebook for media consumption.
Cal,How do you know this? I wonder if we early adopters should sell while the sellin' is good. Then again, not sure how long I could do without this thing.
I thought i could go without mine for awhile and loaned it to my dad who was going on vacation, it was the worst week of my life.it's one of those things where you don't realize how much it is ingrained into your life until it's not there.

Don't make the worst mistake of your life, if you sell it i guarantee you'll last maybe a week before going out and buying another.

Enjoying comiczeal4 with dropbox. Airvideo is cool.. Any rss readers really worth paying for? I use feedler and it seems to work just fine.

Enjoying comiczeal4 with dropbox. Airvideo is cool.. Any rss readers really worth paying for? I use feedler and it seems to work just fine.
Regarding RSS I love Pulse. Great interface.

Otis said:
California said:
I thought i could go without mine for awhile and loaned it to my dad who was going on vacation, it was the worst week of my life.it's one of those things where you don't realize how much it is ingrained into your life until it's not there.

Don't make the worst mistake of your life, if you sell it i guarantee you'll last maybe a week before going out and buying another.
What are you people using this for that you can't manage for a week without it? Not trying to be a richard or anything, just wondering. If they offer one with a webcam I could see myself purchasing one, but until then it would be a websurfing thing and maybe book/magazine reading. I'm missing where it would be ingrained into my life.

Otis said:
California said:

What are you people using this for that you can't manage for a week without it? Not trying to be a richard or anything, just wondering. If they offer one with a webcam I could see myself purchasing one, but until then it would be a websurfing thing and maybe book/magazine reading. I'm missing where it would be ingrained into my life.
Look at the people who waited in line for one. That should answer your question.

A webcam would make the difference for you? Most of us have webcams on our computers and use them never. I've used Google video chat a handful of times in the years I've had my iMac. There was a poll on this last month and overwhelmingly people don't use video. So I don't see how the webcam makes the difference.I use mine both ways on a subway commute to read the news, to read work documents, to check e-mail, and to listen to music. I use it in my car to stream music wirelessly over the car audio system via bluetooth. I use it when I'm sitting on my couch, laying in bed, or on the terlet to surf the web, do e-mail, etc.

Bottom line is I use it for most of my non-in-office computing tasks. Webcam is about the last thing that would make a difference to me.

Pretty sure I'm going to get my wife one. She's having surgery and will be out of work for about a month. Don't think she'll need 3G. Just need to decide on ram size.

Pretty sure I'm going to get my wife one. She's having surgery and will be out of work for about a month. Don't think she'll need 3G. Just need to decide on ram size.
I'd get the 3G version.I have the wi-fi version and that is fine for almost everything - I use it primarily at home and in the office. But there have been a few occasions when I wished I had the 3G when I have been travelling.For the extra money, I think the 3g is worth it.

A webcam would make the difference for you? Most of us have webcams on our computers and use them never. I've used Google video chat a handful of times in the years I've had my iMac. There was a poll on this last month and overwhelmingly people don't use video. So I don't see how the webcam makes the difference.I use mine both ways on a subway commute to read the news, to read work documents, to check e-mail, and to listen to music. I use it in my car to stream music wirelessly over the car audio system via bluetooth. I use it when I'm sitting on my couch, laying in bed, or on the terlet to surf the web, do e-mail, etc.

Bottom line is I use it for most of my non-in-office computing tasks. Webcam is about the last thing that would make a difference to me.
We moved away from our families so we use skype video chat a lot.

anyone using miwi for free internet on the ipad?
Bump for this exact question. Anyone getting a 4G MiFi and coupling that with the iPad non-3G model instead of going with the iPad 3G? Also any thoughts on the release date for a 4G iPad? Apologies if this has been covered upthread.
I'm still waiting to get an iPad (I want one but getting the money put aside has been tough) but I will be getting the non-3G and using my EVO to tether it. I suspect the 4G iPad will actually precede the iPhone 4G and will happen after the first wave of MS Slate devices.

anyone using miwi for free internet on the ipad?
Bump for this exact question. Anyone getting a 4G MiFi and coupling that with the iPad non-3G model instead of going with the iPad 3G? Also any thoughts on the release date for a 4G iPad? Apologies if this has been covered upthread.
I'm still waiting to get an iPad (I want one but getting the money put aside has been tough) but I will be getting the non-3G and using my EVO to tether it. I suspect the 4G iPad will actually precede the iPhone 4G and will happen after the first wave of MS Slate devices.
Bought an iPad for wifey a month ago. It's a really nice piece of technology. Displaying pictures and watching video is awesome. The touch screen is super responsive - it's impressive.But I'm home for a several hours each day w/o the wife and have the choice of the iPad or my Asus netbook. I choose my netbook every time. :lmao:

Planning to get one of these tonight (if still in stock at Apple store)

Newbie question, but just want to confirm.

- 95% of use will be for web surfing and email checking

- Probably download a handful of apps and some mags/books (don't see myself watching movies on this)

- Don't have AT&T and just plan to use it at home. (have wireless service already through Time Warner)

With this in mind, I'm assuming the 16GB, WiFi iPad is all I'll need correct?

Yes, you'll be able to get by with the 16GB. Unless you're loading up on some serious media you'll have plenty of space for apps.

Yes, you'll be able to get by with the 16GB. Unless you're loading up on some serious media you'll have plenty of space for apps.
What constitutes as "serious media"?Other than apps, mags and books only other thing I can think of is music....but since this wouldn't be 3G I can't imagine I'd ever listem much to music on this over my nice home stereo system.

What constitutes as "serious media"?Other than apps, mags and books only other thing I can think of is music....but since this wouldn't be 3G I can't imagine I'd ever listem much to music on this over my nice home stereo system.
Probably movies, which can run between 1GB-4GB each.

- Probably download a handful of apps and some mags/books (don't see myself watching movies on this)

- Don't have AT&T and just plan to use it at home. (have wireless service already through Time Warner)

Have my name on the waiting list for this....should have it in a couple weeks.Earlier in the thread Otis and others said the one accessory they purchased (and all they believe is needed) is the Apple iPad case. Comments were that it was very lightweight, rubbery, etc......is this what you guys are referring to?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/...mco=MTc0Njk4ODM

Guess I pictured it in my head like all the iPhone cases, and not have a front book cover like protector. Anyways seems like it would work well, but want to make sure this is what you guys all have and love before ordering.

Have my name on the waiting list for this....should have it in a couple weeks.Earlier in the thread Otis and others said the one accessory they purchased (and all they believe is needed) is the Apple iPad case. Comments were that it was very lightweight, rubbery, etc......is this what you guys are referring to?

Guess I pictured it in my head like all the iPhone cases, and not have a front book cover like protector. Anyways seems like it would work well, but want to make sure this is what you guys all have and love before ordering.
Yup. That's the one. Great case. You won't be disappointed.

That's the one. The front cover is good for when you toss it in the car or in a messenger bag etc. And it folds back nicely to prop it up for typing and viewing. Recommended.

i believe the latest OS update is now available for it
Got the new OS. It overwrote my jailbreak, but frankly the jailbreak was sort of unstable and buggy. I'll stick with Apple's closed garden. It just works too well. Besides there were very few jailbreak apps i even used. I can wait a couple months for the Apple multitask release... New OS supposedly fixes the wifi issues. No problems since i updated. :thumb up:

Found someone selling a 32gb wifi version with cover for < new. Since BB is out, going that route.

:hey: Otis

Got the new OS. It overwrote my jailbreak, but frankly the jailbreak was sort of unstable and buggy. I'll stick with Apple's closed garden. It just works too well. Besides there were very few jailbreak apps i even used. I can wait a couple months for the Apple multitask release... New OS supposedly fixes the wifi issues. No problems since i updated. :thumb up:
the 4.0 OS is available for the ipad?

the 4.0 OS is available for the ipad?
3.2.14.0 is due in the fall.

I'm most looking forward to utilizing the iPad on NFL Sunday gamedays.

My question here is will there be (are there already) any special apps to help this experience? Or better yet, any possibility of watching certain NFL games on the iPad? Kind of like NFL Sunday Ticket, but over the interwebz?

Hypothetically, lets say this becomes possible......is there a way to then somehow connect the iPad to a Plasma TV and then view the games running through your iPad on your big TV screen (same thing for online movies and TV shows...is this possible?)

My question here is will there be (are there already) any special apps to help this experience? Or better yet, any possibility of watching certain NFL games on the iPad? Kind of like NFL Sunday Ticket, but over the interwebz?

Hypothetically, lets say this becomes possible......is there a way to then somehow connect the iPad to a Plasma TV and then view the games running through your iPad on your big TV screen (same thing for online movies and TV shows...is this possible?)
You can view videos content from your Ipad on your TV with one of these:Component Cable

The video is OK but the audio sucks as it uses the old analog red/white audio input to your TV or home receiver.

Biggest problem with using the Ipad for viewing football related content/sites this Fall is going to be that many of them are flash-based (NFL.com, CBS sportsline game tracker, etc.) None of those will be viewable from your iPad

You can view videos content from your Ipad on your TV with one of these:Component Cable

The video is OK but the audio sucks as it uses the old analog red/white audio input to your TV or home receiver.

Biggest problem with using the Ipad for viewing football related content/sites this Fall is going to be that many of them are flash-based (NFL.com, CBS sportsline game tracker, etc.) None of those will be viewable from your iPad
Playing around with one of these at the Apple store, noticed they had a Major League Baseball App which looked pretty decent (real time updates, player bios, graphics, etc....basically everything but showing the actual game video). You'd think they'd have one of these for the NFL no?

CBS Sportsline's Live Scoring works fine from my iPhone, can't see why it wouldn't work on the iPad.

Picked up my iPad last night and just getting into it.

In terms of Web Browsers, Safari is the default that comes with it......is there a better option (app) for a different web browser to use? Seems Safari is tough to navigate than what I'm normally used to, and Bookmarks are a pain, etc.

Thoughts?

I'm most looking forward to utilizing the iPad on NFL Sunday gamedays.My question here is will there be (are there already) any special apps to help this experience? Or better yet, any possibility of watching certain NFL games on the iPad? Kind of like NFL Sunday Ticket, but over the interwebz?Hypothetically, lets say this becomes possible......is there a way to then somehow connect the iPad to a Plasma TV and then view the games running through your iPad on your big TV screen (same thing for online movies and TV shows...is this possible?)
I don't think there will be an app similar to mlb's.I would love to see a Red Zone package app.As for the video feed - I don't have the cable, but I understand there are limitations on what can be sent - i.e. it is not simply your screen on the tv.

Picked up my iPad last night and just getting into it.In terms of Web Browsers, Safari is the default that comes with it......is there a better option (app) for a different web browser to use? Seems Safari is tough to navigate than what I'm normally used to, and Bookmarks are a pain, etc.Thoughts?
On previous pages of this thread, a few of us recommended Atomic Web browser. It's still the only browser I use on my iPad and the Mrs. uses Safari (nice to have 2 browsers IMO so each can be logged into a different yahoo/google/etc username). Either way, Atomic has tabbed browsing, loads and loads of preferences, desktop-style bookmarks at the top of the window, ability to identify browser as different mobile or desktop browsers, customizable full-screen mode, etc... All in all, it's just a better surfing experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as cases go I really like marware. I may have to try atomic. I have read good things about cab as well. Safari has been fine so far though.

Toyed with one at BB again yesterday and I'm still "sold" once I get the money together. One thing I was "testing" while I was there was my typing ability. Great thing is, because of having a BB Bold for so long and doing the two-thumb typing thing already, I can frigging FLY on the iPad with it in portrait mode. The kid next to me even asked, "Dude, do you have one of these already? You really know how to type on that..."

:goodposting:

I've been using the black Apple case since I bought it, but I think I'm ready to let it go naked.

Bought a with a Zagg InvisiShield for the back side 50% off this morning.

Have had my new iPad for about a week now and can honestly say it's the 2nd best luxury item I've purchased in my life (first being Lasik eye surgery).

I don't have an iPhone and other than an iPod have no other Apple products. This thing just fits perfectly for my lifestyle and will get so much use. It's my daily planner, note holder, email checking, web surfer, music player all in one. Brilliant piece of machinery.

Have had my new iPad for about a week now and can honestly say it's the 2nd best luxury item I've purchased in my life (first being Lasik eye surgery).I don't have an iPhone and other than an iPod have no other Apple products. This thing just fits perfectly for my lifestyle and will get so much use. It's my daily planner, note holder, email checking, web surfer, music player all in one. Brilliant piece of machinery.
Pretty much how i feel about it too. Welcome aboard.

Have had my new iPad for about a week now and can honestly say it's the 2nd best luxury item I've purchased in my life (first being Lasik eye surgery).I don't have an iPhone and other than an iPod have no other Apple products. This thing just fits perfectly for my lifestyle and will get so much use. It's my daily planner, note holder, email checking, web surfer, music player all in one. Brilliant piece of machinery.
I've had mine for about a week as well.Love it so far and have been using the fbg app a lot!A luxury purchase for sure, but it's a blast

or wait for the iPad to have a front facing camera.
After experiencing my iPad for a week now, I can't imagine I'd want to even try to take a picture with this thing. Would just seem awkward...imagine taking a picture with a picture frame cuz that's what it would be like. Keep the picture taking to the smaller cell phones and digital cameras of the world and then just transfer them to the iPad as needed IMO.

or wait for the iPad to have a front facing camera.
After experiencing my iPad for a week now, I can't imagine I'd want to even try to take a picture with this thing. Would just seem awkward...imagine taking a picture with a picture frame cuz that's what it would be like. Keep the picture taking to the smaller cell phones and digital cameras of the world and then just transfer them to the iPad as needed IMO.
Front-facing camera would be for video calling, not picture taking.

Users who are viewing this thread