What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iran Launches "Large Scale Attack" on Israel (?) (2 Viewers)

Looks like a whole lot of political theater. Israel continuing the charade would be really stupid, but it can't be ruled out. I was a big proponent of Israel for years. This latest series of events with Gaza lands me more centrist now. I am no longer "with them, no matter what". Clearly, they need guardrails.
Israel and Iran are both big-boy countries, and they have a long history that didn't just start last night. Iran has been attacking Israel for decades - they just use proxies like Hezbollah, but everybody knows its them. At the same time, Iranian nuclear scientists have tragically fallen victim to random street crime and catastrophic explosive engine failure at rates much higher than you would expect by chance, and I'll bet Israel might know something about that. No need to pretend like these guys don't know what they're doing.
You sound like my dad. I'll point out to you what I pointed out to him. I am absolutely confident they know what they are doing. That's why I think unconditional support is a very questionable approach now.

Looks like a whole lot of political theater. Israel continuing the charade would be really stupid, but it can't be ruled out. I was a big proponent of Israel for years. This latest series of events with Gaza lands me more centrist now. I am no longer "with them, no matter what". Clearly, they need guardrails.
Israel and Iran are both big-boy countries, and they have a long history that didn't just start last night. Iran has been attacking Israel for decades - they just use proxies like Hezbollah, but everybody knows its them. At the same time, Iranian nuclear scientists have tragically fallen victim to random street crime and catastrophic explosive engine failure at rates much higher than you would expect by chance, and I'll bet Israel might know something about that. No need to pretend like these guys don't know what they're doing.
You sound like my dad. I'll point out to you what I pointed out to him. I am absolutely confident they know what they are doing. That's why I think unconditional support is a very questionable approach now.
The White House support of Israel is very conditional.

As it should be.

Iranian nuclear scientists have tragically fallen victim to random street crime and catastrophic explosive engine failure at rates much higher than you would expect by chance, and I'll bet Israel might know something about that

I just looked that up. I’d sort of tuned out back then. Israel admitted it and the U.S. put pressure on them to stop. We were going to build a relationship with Iran. Ben Rhodes (Master of Fine Arts - NYU) was the architect of that plan, which included the nuclear weapons deal of 2015/6, along with President Obama. I’ll refrain from comment.

Last edited:
Examples?

The press talks about how angry Biden is behind closed doors. Yet he keeps selling them weapons, vetoed multiple UN ceasefire resolutions, undercut the ICJ on its genocide ruling against Israel, gave them billions of dollars. Dismissed the UN special rapporteur's report saying she had witnessed genocide in Gaza. We had an 11-year state dept. official resign in protest of weapons to Israel. I'm not understanding how their support is very conditional, what are we missing here?

Last edited:
Hope you're right but it still remains to be seen. Talk is cheap.

Iran told either the US or Israel, directly or (more likely) indirectly about the attack, then launched a strike that took hours to materialize giving everyone a chance to prepare for it. Iran can't go toe-to-toe with Israel or it's friends. Iran had to retaliate to save face, very similar to how they retaliated when the US took out Soleimani. This is the dance of the Great Game.

Now, will Israel retaliate? They shouldn't but who knows. If they do, I'd say there is a better than average chance bad things are going to happen and the conflict will escalate in a direction no one wants it to go except hardcore, "let it burn", zealots.

Iran told either the US or Israel, directly or (more likely) indirectly about the attack, then launched a strike that took hours to materialize giving everyone a chance to prepare for it. Iran can't go toe-to-toe with Israel or it's friends. Iran had to retaliate to save face, very similar to how they retaliated when the US took out Soleimani. This is the dance of the Great Game.

Now, will Israel retaliate? They shouldn't but who knows. If they do, I'd say there is a better than average chance bad things are going to happen and the conflict will escalate in a direction no one wants it to go except hardcore, "let it burn", zealots.

Yes.

I thought this was a reasonable (non partisan/political as possible) look at where we currently are.

Essentially, the hope is Israel will be able to "take the win" that seems like was offered and move forward. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Yes.

I thought this was a reasonable (non partisan/political as possible) look at where we currently are.

Essentially, the hope is Israel will be able to "take the win" that seems like was offered and move forward. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

This looks about right:
Indeed, Iran is publicly signaling a similar intent: An official government account tweeted that “the matter can be deemed concluded” even before the first drone reached Israeli airspace. That’s as close to publicly saying “this is a fake attack” as it gets in international relations.
I'm a little surprised by all the "Israel must respond aggressively" stuff I'm seeing out there. That seems like nothing but downside to me.

I'm a little surprised by all the "Israel must respond aggressively" stuff I'm seeing out there. That seems like nothing but downside to me.
Look at who is making those comments. Then conclude that those people are non-serious and should not be listened to further.
:goodposting: Some people just want to watch the world burn. We're at a crossroads in history where the world needs to step up and take control of the military industrial complex before it turns the world into a charcoal briquette. I get that the economy hums along when the wars are raging but at some point (sorta like now) we get real close to people who own big red buttons flipping the plastic case off of them and with big, meth'd out eyes screaming, "SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO?!?!?!"

That's as close to derailing this thread as I'll get and if the comment needs to go, feel free to delete. We have to step up here, I don't pretend to like Biden or his policies but (assuming it's true) him telling Netanyahu, "take the win" was in order and I hope it didn't fall on deaf ears.

Look at who is making those comments. Then conclude that those people are non-serious and should not be listened to further.
No, some of these folks are fairly sober. That's why I found it a little surprising.
Who are the sober people asking for escalation here?

I think Noah Smith's recent article on the "WWIII" aspect of all of this is basically accurate. This one particular Iranian attack may end up not amounting to much, but it's part of a general global conflict that is already well underway even though we seem not to realize it.

Where I differ a little from Smith is that I tend to see China as the ringleader that is using expendable partners like Russia and Iran to hamstring the west. I think China is also paying very close attention to how the west handles Ukraine and Israel before it decides on what it wants to do with Taiwan and the south China sea. Ideally, we would like to be deterring further aggression while also not escalating things to the point that China decides that now is the time to take back some territory.

Thanks for posting this article as it is very good. I basically agree with everything said in it.

Also the failure of our Navy to produce new ships is very concerning. China already has the largest navy in the world and that lead is expanding quickly. It is something to be very worried about.

I think Noah Smith's recent article on the "WWIII" aspect of all of this is basically accurate. This one particular Iranian attack may end up not amounting to much, but it's part of a general global conflict that is already well underway even though we seem not to realize it.

Where I differ a little from Smith is that I tend to see China as the ringleader that is using expendable partners like Russia and Iran to hamstring the west. I think China is also paying very close attention to how the west handles Ukraine and Israel before it decides on what it wants to do with Taiwan and the south China sea. Ideally, we would like to be deterring further aggression while also not escalating things to the point that China decides that now is the time to take back some territory.

Thanks for posting this article as it is very good. I basically agree with everything said in it.

Also the failure of our Navy to produce new ships is very concerning. China already has the largest navy in the world and that lead is expanding quickly. It is something to be very worried about.
While there is a certain quality to quantity, just having more ships doesn't make them a top navy. Not disagreeing that China isn't manipulating this, and any other situation they can involve themselves in, to their favor but that is also the dance of the Great Game, isn't it? China has a lot of internal issues that are causing them to be more involved in world politics than in the past. Economic, the aging out of their populace and the results of their "one child" policy, their dependency on the world for food/fuel. They are a power to be reckoned with but they are also a power being lead by one man who has eliminated any & all opposition and effectively created an echo chamber of epic proportion.

No, some of these folks are fairly sober. That's why I found it a little surprising.
Who are the sober people asking for escalation here?
I already said that I don't agree with this position. You'll need to find somebody else to pick an argument with.

For better or worse, Israel's War Cabinet is debating a response to Iran's attack -- this is a Live Updates page, so it will change eventually, but right now check out the 'What We're Covering' section at upper left:

• Israel has vowed to "exact a price" from Iran after an unprecedented large-scale drone and missile attack over the weekend that escalated regional tensions stoked by the war in Gaza.
  • Israel is delaying its plans for a ground offensive in Rafah, two Israeli sources said, as the country's war cabinet engages in a heated debate about how and when to respond to Iran’s weekend attack. Israeli President Isaac Herzog has said Israel is not seeking war with Iran.

For better or worse, Israel's War Cabinet is debating a response to Iran's attack -- this is a Live Updates page, so it will change eventually, but right now check out the 'What We're Covering' section at upper left:

• Israel has vowed to "exact a price" from Iran after an unprecedented large-scale drone and missile attack over the weekend that escalated regional tensions stoked by the war in Gaza.
  • Israel is delaying its plans for a ground offensive in Rafah, two Israeli sources said, as the country's war cabinet engages in a heated debate about how and when to respond to Iran’s weekend attack. Israeli President Isaac Herzog has said Israel is not seeking war with Iran.
They can talk about it to keep face but if they launch a retaliatory strike, well, nothing good is going to come from it. Israel will likely drive a divide between the Arab states that supported them this weekend and galvanize the bunch against them. The folks who participated in the 6 day war have better toys & tactics now. Just ask, we've been arming everybody up in the region.

This would make me very, very nervous if Israel pursues a strike now.

They can talk about it to keep face but if they launch a retaliatory strike, well, nothing good is going to come from it. Israel will likely drive a divide between the Arab states that supported them this weekend and galvanize the bunch against them. The folks who participated in the 6 day war have better toys & tactics now. Just ask, we've been arming everybody up in the region.

I think Israel should just let it go, but this part seems super unlikely. Most Arab states are supporting Israel while it turns Gaza in rubble. They're not going to switch sides just because Israel hits an Iranian nuclear facility. A few of them would probably chip in to cover the operational expenses. These countries might not like Israel, but they're not threatened by Israel. They are threatened by Iran, however.

I think Israel should just let it go, but this part seems super unlikely. Most Arab states are supporting Israel while it turns Gaza in rubble. They're not going to switch sides just because Israel hits an Iranian nuclear facility. A few of them would probably chip in to cover the operational expenses. These countries might not like Israel, but they're not threatened by Israel. They are threatened by Iran, however.
Fine point

I think Israel should just let it go, but this part seems super unlikely.
Maybe they are going to let it go, but they sure can't let it go without a lot of bellicose bluster. Iran did their called shot, designed to be pretty ineffective. Now Israel gets to rabble rouse and talk a lot of retaliation, but under the covers knows that the best option is to let it go. They sure don't want a three front war - we have 80 year old on-point history of that one.

At least that's what I hope is going on.

Must be based on the Russian SCUD platform used by Iraq in the 90's.
Sounds like they just took a bunch of old crap they found sitting in a warehouse and lobbed it toward the West.
Given the fact that this was a “throw away” “attack”, getting rid of the old would also lessen any impact of their adversaries getting techno insight on their good stuff.

You know who really ended up on the wrong side of history? All those guys who thought they were being so clever when they made fun of missile defense systems as "Star Wars" fantasy. Never bet against engineering.
Star Wars was doing this to ballistic MIRVs, which remains a problem

Sounds like I'm the minority here but its inconceivable to me that people are actually suggesting that Israel should just let it go cause Iran just did it to save face with their people and really didn't mean anything by it. They fired 320 missiles and drones at Israel. 320!!! I'm sorry but if they wanted to save face within their own country they could have fired a dozen missiles at some meaningless piece of real estate. Instead they fired 320 missiles coordinated with rocket attacks from Hamas and Hezballa. They meant to do damage and lots of it.

Sounds like I'm the minority here but its inconceivable to me that people are actually suggesting that Israel should just let it go cause Iran just did it to save face with their people and really didn't mean anything by it. They fired 320 missiles and drones at Israel. 320!!! I'm sorry but if they wanted to save face within their own country they could have fired a dozen missiles at some meaningless piece of real estate. Instead they fired 320 missiles coordinated with rocket attacks from Hamas and Hezballa. They meant to do damage and lots of it.
if they meant to do damage they would've done things a lot differently.

Really? How so? We're just gonna fire 320 drones and missiles your way and count on you shooting them all down. And those 7 that got through? Well, thats your fault. We warned you and sent our worst junk

Really? How so? We're just gonna fire 320 drones and missiles your way and count on you shooting them all down. And those 7 that got through? Well, thats your fault. We warned you and sent our worst junk
1) They wouldn't have telegraphed the attack like they did. 2) They would have used better stuff than they used here.

1) They wouldn't have telegraphed the attack like they did. 2) They would have used better stuff than they used here.
How did they telegraph it? Did they telegraph it or did our (and the Israeli) intelligence community pick up signs? I've seen the reports that Iran gave the U.S. a heads up. These reports appear to have originated from Iran itself (and the Whitehouse denies). If they gave us a heads up and we knew of the strike then why was President Biden on vacation and have to fly back to DC? If he knew of it why didn't he just stay home? I tend to believe that we weren't given a heads up by the Iranians but rather our and/or the Israeli intelligence community did it's work.

How do we know they even have better stuff? Just because only 7 out of the 320+ missiles and drones got through doesn't mean this was their inferior arms. Maybe it was their best shot.

I'm coming in to this thread late so maybe someone posted an inventory of Iran's capabilities and I missed it.

Agreed. Its baffling that people seem to think they sent that much as a symbolic message. Thankfully, Israel along with the US and Jordan managed to knock almost all out but the intent was to do damage. Just because they failed doesn't mean retaliation isn't in order, even if just to take out some drone facilities. Not saying to crush Iran but a response is needed, imo.

How did they telegraph it? Did they telegraph it or did our (and the Israeli) intelligence community pick up signs? I've seen the reports that Iran gave the U.S. a heads up. These reports appear to have originated from Iran itself (and the Whitehouse denie)s.

How do we know they even have better stuff? Just because only 7 out of the 320+ missiles and drones got through doesn't mean this was their inferior arms. Maybe it was their best shot.

I'm coming in to this thread late so maybe someone posted an inventory of Iran's capabilities and I missed it.
I am as pro-Israel as anyone on here and I think it is not worth retaliating against Iran. It was most certainly not a major attack per every single report I've read or heard and was also most certainly retaliation against what Israel had done.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Israel does not need to risk an all out international war here.

There is no reason for Iran to come out from behind the Hezbollah skirt if they didn't feel confident in their military standing. "First time in history Iran attacked Israel directly" is the current narrative and yet it's already been stated by them that they consider the case closed at this point. They got their nose punched and when they swung back in defense they whiffed but stood their ground. Now Israel has a green light if any more Iranian shenanigans occur so Iran needs to back off unless provoked. Israel needs to focus on completing the mission in Gaza and resetting expectations going forward. Get it done and move on.

It was most certainly not a major attack per every single report I've read or heard and was also most certainly retaliation against what Israel had done.

I’ve read all the reports. It was a very serious attack. I have a friend with a Master’s in Middle East history from Yale. We were tight in our twenties and part of our thirties. He was offered—at one point—the speechwriting gig for Netanyahu. He does not think Israel is done, nor does he think they should be. If you follow politics, even the left in Israel is calling for retaliation. We’re nowhere near done IMO. I won’t comment about my opinion.

How did they telegraph it? Did they telegraph it or did our (and the Israeli) intelligence community pick up signs? I've seen the reports that Iran gave the U.S. a heads up. These reports appear to have originated from Iran itself (and the Whitehouse denie)s.

I am as pro-Israel as anyone on here and I think it is not worth retaliating against Iran. It was most certainly not a major attack per every single report I've read or heard and was also most certainly retaliation against what Israel had done.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Israel does not need to risk an all out international war here.
I agree that Israel shouldn't retaliate (although I wouldn't blame them if they did) but this narrative that Iran just staged this "fake" attack to make themselves look strong is a bit far-fetched IMO.

It was most certainly not a major attack per every single report I've read or heard and was also most certainly retaliation against what Israel had done.

I’ve read all the reports. It was a very serious attack. I have a friend with a Master’s in Middle East history from Yale. We were tight in our twenties and part of our thirties. He was offered—at one point—the speechwriting gig for Netanyahu. He does not think Israel is done, nor does he think they should be. If you follow politics, even the left in Israel is calling for retaliation. We’re nowhere near done IMO. I won’t comment about my opinion.
I could be misinformed and/or maybe I'm being fed a narrative.

While expensive, it seemed like this was easily contained, no?

Is it in Israel's best interest to take on all comers at once? I don't think so. If Iran continues, they'll get their turn, but I don't see why Israel should engage them directly any more than necessary right now...and it just doesn't seem necessary.

Is it in Israel's best interest to take on all comers at once? I don't think so. If Iran continues, they'll get their turn, but I don't see why Israel should engage them directly any more than necessary right now...and it just doesn't seem necessary.

Hey bud, l will PM you so as to keep opinions out of it. I looked up my claim about public opinion and I may have overstated the point.

No forewarning.

We picked off intelligence from the other Arab states, but Iran warned nobody.

it was more symbolic than anything. this was limited in scope as they launched a bunch of old/slow crap and half of them didn't even get close to Israel.

Not to mention their foreign minister issued a warning 72 hours in advance to all nearby arab nations...even those aligned with us like jordan.

WASHINGTON/BAGHDAD/DUBAI, April 14 (Reuters) - Turkish, Jordanian and Iraqi officials said on Sunday that Iran gave wide notice days before its drone and missile attack on Israel, but U.S. officials said Tehran did not warn Washington and that it was aiming to cause significant damage.

Last edited:

I don't think Israel should go bonkers here, to be clear. But without going into any potential causes or assigning blame, I think it's extremely concerning that for whatever reason we've ended up in a place where Iran has not been deterred from openly engaging in proxy wars against Israel and international shipping and directly launching hundreds of missiles/drones at one of our most significant global allies. I don't necessarily think retaliation at this moment is the best way for Israel and its allies to restore deterrence, but getting to that place should be part of the discussion.

I don't think Israel should go bonkers here, to be clear. But without going into any potential causes or assigning blame, I think it's extremely concerning that for whatever reason we've ended up in a place where Iran has not been deterred from openly engaging in proxy wars against Israel and international shipping and directly launching hundreds of missiles/drones at one of our most significant global allies. I don't necessarily think retaliation at this moment is the best way for Israel and its allies to restore deterrence, but getting to that place should be part of the discussion.
The bolded part is the key thing for me. The issue is not whether Iran deserves to catch a beating. Of course it does - it's a garbage-tier country that is evidently just as hated by it's Arab neighbors as it is by us. The question is whether it is in Israel's best interests to pursue the matter right now. I just don't think it is. Israel can always strike a nuclear site six months from now if they still feel like it. They'll presumably continue targeted assassinations of key Iranian personnel. You don't need to serve revenge hot - it's just fine when served cold.

(There's a poker analogy here. Good players are willing to be bluffed off their hand from time to time, even if they "know" the other guy is probably bluffing. Players who never get bluffed are wonderful opponents who bleed chips all over the table as long as you don't bluff them. It's not in your interests to catch every bluff that comes your way, and you shouldn't try to. The point is to take the other guy's stack, not win this one particular pot.)

The bolded part is the key thing for me. The issue is not whether Iran deserves to catch a beating. Of course it does - it's a garbage-tier country that is evidently just as hated by it's Arab neighbors as it is by us. The question is whether it is in Israel's best interests to pursue the matter right now. I just don't think it is. Israel can always strike a nuclear site six months from now if they still feel like it. They'll presumably continue targeted assassinations of key Iranian personnel. You don't need to serve revenge hot - it's just fine when served cold.

(There's a poker analogy here. Good players are willing to be bluffed off their hand from time to time, even if they "know" the other guy is probably bluffing. Players who never get bluffed are wonderful opponents who bleed chips all over the table as long as you don't bluff them. It's not in your interests to catch every bluff that comes your way, and you shouldn't try to. The point is to take the other guy's stack, not win this one particular pot.)
Yeah, if and when Israel decides to retaliate, they aren't going to publicly announce they're considering it. They'll just do it, and most won't have seen it coming.

Users who are viewing this thread