What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is anyone taking the risk and starting Ryan Torain this week? (1 Viewer)

Starting him with confidence! :hophead: The fact that going into week 10 my only RBs were Barber, Graham, Reggie Bush, Benson, and Mewelde Moore had no impact on my confidence level :mellow:

I don't have room to start him. I have Gore and Jamal Lewis going this week at RB and I think Lewis is going to pay off better against DEN's joke D than Torain is going to pay off against CLE's joke D. My flex is Roddy White or Megatron. I could feasibly pull CJ and assume that CPep is going to gag in his first game back, but it doesn't take a lot of offensive knowledge to just throw the deep vert to CJ.

I was really weak at RB last week. If I was in this situation with Torain last week, I would have started him.

Krewe said:
With Portis on the bye, starting him over Slaton (vs BAL).

Time to roll with the rookie for one week!
man you guys are crazy/risky, I got slaton, MJD and torrian. no way torrian sees my lineup this week. Slaton did just fine against the vikes last week, no way I bench him anytime soon.
Risky, sure, but I wouldn't call it crazy.I have the option of Slaton or Torain as well and I am still undecided.

Slaton is facing the number 1 rush defense with his back up qb starting. Baltimore held Jamal less than 50 last week, The Raiders next to nothing the week before and shutdown the wildcat and Ronnie before that. Pretty risky play as well for Slaton I think.

Cleveland is 27th (150 per game allowed) the last I checked and Young is still hurting, so the potential is there. The game could become a shoot out, so the scoring opportunities should be much higher. If anything, Torain has a higher ceiling this week.

Krewe said:

man you guys are crazy/risky, I got slaton, MJD and torrian. no way torrian sees my lineup this week. Slaton did just fine against the vikes last week, no way I bench him anytime soon.
Risky, sure, but I wouldn't call it crazy.I have the option of Slaton or Torain as well and I am still undecided.

Slaton is facing the number 1 rush defense with his back up qb starting. Baltimore held Jamal less than 50 last week, The Raiders next to nothing the week before and shutdown the wildcat and Ronnie before that. Pretty risky play as well for Slaton I think.

Cleveland is 27th (150 per game allowed) the last I checked and Young is still hurting, so the potential is there. The game could become a shoot out, so the scoring opportunities should be much higher. If anything, Torain has a higher ceiling this week.
non ppr I would agree, ppr totally disagree, anytime people have benched slaton this year against a good d it was a bad choice. this is why FF is fun, making choices like this.

Krewe said:

Slaton is facing the number 1 rush defense with his back up qb starting.
There's a very minimal dropoff from Schaub to Rosenfels. I don't find it all that substancial.

Krewe said:

There's a very minimal dropoff from Schaub to Rosenfels. I don't find it all that substancial.
The Colts would disagree. :bag:

I would fully expect the Browns to be blitzing a lot on defense to see if Torain can block/pick up the blitz...

If he can't do that, then they are in a lot of trouble...

Krewe said:

The Colts would disagree. :hey:
I was speaking from a FF perspective, in which case, not an issue.

I doubt I will do it, but thinking about sitting MJD for him
I wouldn't do that if I were you. As a "Lions fan", if there really is such a thing anymore, I can say without fear of contradiction that they are just awful. Jacksonville could put up 300+ rushing yards this week, and I would be willing to bet that MJD will get AT LEAST one TD (barring injury). The Lions have had 5 backs rush for 100+ yards against them in 9 games. The only way this matchup for MJD could be better IMO is if it were during the FF playoffs.(I'm not a MJD owner in any league, and really am not that big of a fan, but I think he's going to go off against the Lions like he's done in the past against the Colts without Bob Sanders.)

either him or Ray Rice.....I would start Rice IF McGahee is for sure out this week.

Otherwise I roll the dice with Torain in my RB3 spot

shims3 said:
Any news on Shaun Rogers?
Excellent question for this discussion btw.Here's what I found:

Nov 5 Scott Petrak, of The Medina County Gazette, reports Cleveland Browns DL Shaun Rogers (ribs) did not participate in practice Wednesday, Nov. 5. He is considered questionable for the team's Week 10 game but likely will play.

if young is declared out, thinking of sitting LBJ.

nuts, i know. but i think torain gets a TD today.

I know Slaton did well against Tenn and Minne in PPR but the Ravens are just a completely different animal. They're 1st against the rush, 4th against the pass, and they lead the league in 3rd down defense. For the first time, the Ravens actually have an okay offense, I'm just scared Slaton won't get enough opportunities and this is why I'm rolling with Torain.

Its funny. I have a lot of the same guys many of you have and am having a tough time deciding. We start 2 RBs and 2 WRs with one flex. Killing myself trying to decide among these for 5 spots (PPR)

Braylon Edwards, Randy Moss, D Bowe, H Ward

R Torian, R Rice, FWP and Slaton

8 guys 5 spots.

Not that anyone cares but I am leaning towards FWP, Slaton, Edwards, Moss and Bowe.

So that means that Torian will come up huge this week

From his bio on the Bronco website:

2008: Torain was inactive for Denver’s first seven games after injuring his elbow in training camp.

2007: Torain averaged 92.2 rushing yards per game as a senior for Arizona State, totaling 553 rushing yards on 110 carries (5.0 avg.) with five touchdowns in six games (6 starts) before missing the final seven contests due to a fractured toe...

2006: Torain recorded the fourth-highest single-season rushing output in Pacific-10 Conference history by a player in his debut season with 1,229 rushing yards on 223 carries (5.5 avg.) with seven touchdowns in 13 games (8 starts) for Arizona State as a junior...

2005: Torain played eight games (4 starts) as a sophomore at Butler Community College, rushing for 739 yards on 109 carries (6.8 avg.) with 11 touchdowns... Missed four games with an ankle sprain.

:goodposting:

I know Slaton did well against Tenn and Minne in PPR but the Ravens are just a completely different animal. They're 1st against the rush, 4th against the pass, and they lead the league in 3rd down defense. For the first time, the Ravens actually have an okay offense, I'm just scared Slaton won't get enough opportunities and this is why I'm rolling with Torain.
oooof you guys are starting to talk me into it

NFL.com's Adam Schefter confirms that Ryan Torain is expected to be the Broncos' starting tailback on Thursday night and is "going to get the bulk of the carries" over Selvin Young (questionable, groin).Schefter says that in a "perfect world" Torain will get 15-20 carries and the Broncos are confident he will be better tonight than he was against Miami in Week 9. If Young plays, it appears he'll only be a third-down back. We have Torain ranked as a low-end RB2 against a Browns defense that surrenders 4.7 YPC (fifth worst in the NFL) and over one touchdown allowed per game. If Shaun Rogers is out for Cleveland, Torain will be an even stronger bet. Nov. 6 - 12:16 pm etSource: NFL.com
I'm leaning towards starting Torian over Faulk now in PPR.

Tat said:
either him or Ray Rice.....I would start Rice IF McGahee is for sure out this week.Otherwise I roll the dice with Torain in my RB3 spot
I'm in the same spot. I'm starting Torain over Rice in my flex.

The question is, is anyone playing Torain just so they have a reason to watch a game on Thursday?
:shock: I already have Marshall going, but part of me wanting to put Torain in is to watch him play tonight, but I think more than that is people (myself included) want to pat themselves on the back if/when Torain puts up 120/1.Right now, I'm seriously debating playing him over Colston, Rice and DeSean (return yardage league). Truth be told, I wasn't giving it any serious thought until I saw the FBG ranking ...Now I'm just :rolleyes:

Tat said:
either him or Ray Rice.....I would start Rice IF McGahee is for sure out this week.Otherwise I roll the dice with Torain in my RB3 spot
I'm in the same spot. I'm starting Torain over Rice in my flex.
So part of your thinking is that it sounds like McG is starting......my choice is Torain tonight or hope McG is the bell cow this week. Or Charles.

From his bio on the Bronco website:

2008: Torain was inactive for Denver’s first seven games after injuring his elbow in training camp.

2007: Torain averaged 92.2 rushing yards per game as a senior for Arizona State, totaling 553 rushing yards on 110 carries (5.0 avg.) with five touchdowns in six games (6 starts) before missing the final seven contests due to a fractured toe...

2006: Torain recorded the fourth-highest single-season rushing output in Pacific-10 Conference history by a player in his debut season with 1,229 rushing yards on 223 carries (5.5 avg.) with seven touchdowns in 13 games (8 starts) for Arizona State as a junior...

2005: Torain played eight games (4 starts) as a sophomore at Butler Community College, rushing for 739 yards on 109 carries (6.8 avg.) with 11 touchdowns... Missed four games with an ankle sprain.

:goodposting:
Injuries in the past don't necessarily indicate a higher chance of getting injured in the future. (as long as it isn't the same nagging injury, also some running styles or body types are more prone to injury). Remember "Fragile" Freddy Taylor. RB is a brutal position, no one is injury-proof, and some will be injured more than others just due to bad luck.

The question is, is anyone playing Torain just so they have a reason to watch a game on Thursday?
:excited: I already have Marshall going, but part of me wanting to put Torain in is to watch him play tonight, but I think more than that is people (myself included) want to pat themselves on the back if/when Torain puts up 120/1.

Right now, I'm seriously debating playing him over Colston, Rice and DeSean (return yardage league). Truth be told, I wasn't giving it any serious thought until I saw the FBG ranking ...

Now I'm just :unsure:
I'm in the same boat, and the Thursday game doesn't help. My starters are Gore and Sjax, but I have Hightower in case SJax is a no go, but I'm torn between Hightower and Torian right now. If I started Torian and he has a bad night in first game would put a bad taste in my mouth going into Sunday and, of course, Hightower will go off. I think for sanity i'm sticking w/ Sjax or Hightower as my RB2

He looked absolutely horrid against the Dolphins. 9 year-old Amon and his 33 TDs would have been better option for the Broncos. For the sake of the passing game, I'm hoping Torain presents a credible threat, but I've seen nothing to offer such hope.

:) I already have Marshall going, but part of me wanting to put Torain in is to watch him play tonight, but I think more than that is people (myself included) want to pat themselves on the back if/when Torain puts up 120/1.

Right now, I'm seriously debating playing him over Colston, Rice and DeSean (return yardage league). Truth be told, I wasn't giving it any serious thought until I saw the FBG ranking ...

Now I'm just :confused:
I am in the same spot... I have Marshall going but really want to start Torain to look like a genius. :nerd: I'm doing my best not to overcoach my squad... I am seriously thinking of starting Torain over Lynch. That cleveland matchup is just SO juicy.

I probably won't, but I REALLY want to. Lynch is a no-brainer usually, but It's an 8 team league, so my team is stacked (LT (via trade), Gore, Lynch, Torain, Grant).

We can start 3 RBs and I'm most likley going with B.Jacobs, S.Slaton and M.Turner over starting Torain. If anything, I've thought about benching Slaton vs BAL for Torain...but haven't got there yet.

He looked absolutely horrid against the Dolphins. 9 year-old Amon and his 33 TDs would have been better option for the Broncos. For the sake of the passing game, I'm hoping Torain presents a credible threat, but I've seen nothing to offer such hope.
He got a 3 yard gain on 1st and goal from the 5... then had 2 more carries in the game.Pretty small sample size to say he looked horrid. :) I didn't see the game... anybody else observe Torain looking bad? Did he look slow? Bad instincts? No room to run, DL in the backfield?

I can't decide between Ray Rice or Torain. Does anyone know if Rice is the man this week v.s. Houston? I would lean toward Rice if I knew he was getting all the carries.

With Bush hurt, and Portis and Dunn both on bye, I'm pretty much forced to start Torain this week.

Hoping for the best.

Tough call. Does anybody have a BMI on this guy? I'm just sayin'
:tfp: I wouldn't be surprised at 90/1 tonight, but I'm sitting him and I'll pick 2 from CJ3/Deangelo/SJax on Sunday.Broncos run blocking scheme hasn't fared too well vs. 3-4 defenses this year.

He got a 3 yard gain on 1st and goal from the 5... then had 2 more carries in the game.Pretty small sample size to say he looked horrid. :tfp: I didn't see the game... anybody else observe Torain looking bad? Did he look slow? Bad instincts? No room to run, DL in the backfield?
Last week's game showed us nothing. I wouldn't bank his production on three carries, and one of them a couple yards shy of the goal line where the d-line was stacked to stop the run. I won't even go into how many top ten backs started the game off with minimal yardage on their first couple of carries this year. It happens all the time. Hopefully this week they will feed him the ball to see what he can really do. In all honesty, the thing that worries me the most isn't him, Its Shanahan. I wouldn't be surprised to see the waterboy suit up and start running all over the field, with Torain watching from the sidelines. Those are the kind of moves he makes, we all know that. IF Torain does indeed get his chance tonight, I think he will do well. I am debating starting him myself over Slaton. But that is only because of Slaton's matchup. Some of you guys are thinking of starting him in place over a proven back with a good matchup, I don't think I would do that.....yet. Don't dismiss Hillis either, he may be too big to fill the role of a starting tailback, but Lets not forget how many Denver RBs were once FBs that carried the load for a good portion of the season over the last 4-5 years. Anything can happen in the Denver backfield, its a fact.

I can't decide between Ray Rice or Torain. Does anyone know if Rice is the man this week v.s. Houston? I would lean toward Rice if I knew he was getting all the carries.
Everything I read say McG is a go. I have Rice and am not even considering him until I see what the split is with a healthy McG in the backfield.

I am seriously considering starting Torain over Slaton and R. Grant in my flex spot (RB1 - C. Johnson, RB2 - J. Lewis). Playing against my bro-in-law this week and would love for Torain to come up huge against him. Slaton is the safe play and will probably get 6 or 7 points - R. Grant about the same. Torain definitely has more upside given the matchup and adds a little more sense of adventure.

Date: 11/6/2008 11:03:54 AM

Author: KFFL.com

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Denver Broncos RB Ryan Torain is expected to start in the team's Week 10 game and get the bulk of the carries.

Users who are viewing this thread