What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is CJ Spiller droppable (1 Viewer)

NorrisB

Footballguy
what a bust this guy has been, you'd think he would of flashed something at this point, he's been useless and will probably stay useless for the foreseeable future anyone just straight up releasing him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try and trade him before cutting him. Maybe the Fred Jackson owner values him more; there's always someone who thinks he'll become a viable starter.

Not releasing him yet, but that is due to the fact that I still have faint hopes of recouping my investment on him (4th round in 2010 start-up draft :bag: ) and the roster space he has wasted for a couple years. He won't fetch much in trade at the moment, but he could be part of some package deal offered to another owner willing to roll the dice on him.

Traded him for Marshawn Lynch in dynasty format. Lynch has 3 years left on his deal. Spiller 2 plus an option year. Similar $$$.

My team is in contention for the playoffs, but that's about where his value sits for me in my position.

I would not simply drop him unless bench's are extremely shallow.

I'm waiting to see how Fred does the rest of the year. See if he slows down at all or keeps this up. The think that does worry me is Johnny White. Some people seem to think he's more suited to be an everydown back in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a clear buy for me.

After seeing what Sproles can do in the right situation, I can't help but think Spiller has a niche in this league; he just hasn't been set up to find it yet.

Cutting a top 10 pick 1.5 years in seem drastic to me.

He is a clear buy for me. After seeing what Sproles can do in the right situation, I can't help but think Spiller has a niche in this league; he just hasn't been set up to find it yet. Cutting a top 10 pick 1.5 years in seem drastic to me.
I generally agree, but Gailey has shown zero inclination to utilize him this way. Something has to change for his value to match his draft position.

He is a clear buy for me. After seeing what Sproles can do in the right situation, I can't help but think Spiller has a niche in this league; he just hasn't been set up to find it yet. Cutting a top 10 pick 1.5 years in seem drastic to me.
I generally agree, but Gailey has shown zero inclination to utilize him this way. Something has to change for his value to match his draft position.
I agree. But the guy is so young that it is silly to consider giving up on him completely, in my opinion. It could take an injury to Fred or a change of scene, but the potential is there.

Yes. I dropped him this week for Earl Bennett.
If your league is a dynasty. You just made an awful move.He is a strong hold in dynasty. Fred Jackson is having a career year and oh by the way check his age out.Spiller has a ton of talent and in the right situation or for that matter if he get's a volume of touches in the next season or two you may have a PPR stud.It is a situation of Jackson just being really good and Spiller is waiting in line.I would not cut bait at this juncture at all.In a redraft he is worth a roster spot if you have the space as he is one sprained ankle or whatever away from being a starter on what has been a very productive offense.

He can't play in this league. Worth shopping around to see if you can nab a pick for him based on name value, but he has no future as an offensive football player. Maybe in special teams.

He can't play in this league. Worth shopping around to see if you can nab a pick for him based on name value, but he has no future as an offensive football player. Maybe in special teams.
I can remember some respected posters here saying that about McFadden too (not saying they have equal talent) and things changed when Hue Jackson tailored his offense to DMC's strengths. I think it is premature to completely write him off, although I think he best chances to succeed would probably be with another team as he currently seems a poor fit with the Bills.

No.

If Spiller is droppable, it's not a Dynasty League.

It's just some type of keeper league.

Well, should Spiller land on another NFL team (as the post to which your're replying strongly suggests), that sould certainly qualify as something changing.Fred Jackson went to the mailbox last week, and got an AARP card. Things are bound to change. Spiller has become the essence of what Dynasty Leagues are (IMO) supposed to be all about: a player you sit on for a few years, hoping he'll develop. Dynasty isn't (only) about everybody keeping all the studs. It's about folks banking on their wits and eying prospects from afar. Granted, Spiller was not supposed to be a 'project' when he was drafted, but it was widely wondered whether he might not get buried in Buffalo, with fantasy and NFL draftniks wondering aloud whether Buffalo wasn't a terrible fit for him. Then, Jackson got even better. Yeah, things will have to change before Spiller develops much. It might take a couple years. He might even be a bust. But that isn't known yet. That can't be known yet. And it would be silly to bank on it.If you're ready to give up, trade him.

No.If Spiller is droppable, it's not a Dynasty League. It's just some type of keeper league.
That is what I was thinking when I read that someone dropped him for Bennett. I guess you could have 17 player dynasty rosters, but when I think dynasty I am at least expecting 22+ player rosters...and both should be on those.

He is a clear buy for me.

After seeing what Sproles can do in the right situation, I can't help but think Spiller has a niche in this league; he just hasn't been set up to find it yet.

Cutting a top 10 pick 1.5 years in seem drastic to me.
Well, should Spiller land on another NFL team (as the post to which your're replying strongly suggests), that sould certainly qualify as something changing.Fred Jackson went to the mailbox last week, and got an AARP card. Things are bound to change. Spiller has become the essence of what Dynasty Leagues are (IMO) supposed to be all about: a player you sit on for a few years, hoping he'll develop.

Dynasty isn't (only) about everybody keeping all the studs. It's about folks banking on their wits and eying prospects from afar. Granted, Spiller was not supposed to be a 'project' when he was drafted, but it was widely wondered whether he might not get buried in Buffalo, with fantasy and NFL draftniks wondering aloud whether Buffalo wasn't a terrible fit for him. Then, Jackson got even better.

Yeah, things will have to change before Spiller develops much. It might take a couple years.

He might even be a bust. But that isn't known yet. That can't be known yet. And it would be silly to bank on it.

If you're ready to give up, trade him.
I like what you say and how you say it. And we have seen that McFadden was right at the edge last year by most "experts" (I can still remember reading Rotoworld's cut and paste statement on every mcFadden update "He is nothing more than a mere handcuff at this point".) So, although I don't like spiller at all to ever really do anything, it does make me reconsider my thoughts TODAY about guys like Moreno and Felix Jones and Shonn Greene. Those guys have been beaten around like Pinatas. Just a thought to keep holding on and seeing; all four of these guys are very young (greene is surprisingly already 26 but for the most part, all should have a long time ahead of them).

In my league (12 teamer,ppr, 14 man roster) he's been on and off the wire all year.Personally I passed over him for Morris and Ogbadoodoo. Depends on your league though.

If your league is a dynasty. You just made an awful move.He is a strong hold in dynasty. Fred Jackson is having a career year and oh by the way check his age out.Spiller has a ton of talent and in the right situation or for that matter if he get's a volume of touches in the next season or two you may have a PPR stud.It is a situation of Jackson just being really good and Spiller is waiting in line.I would not cut bait at this juncture at all.In a redraft he is worth a roster spot if you have the space as he is one sprained ankle or whatever away from being a starter on what has been a very productive offense.
Johnny White is next, grab him if available in dyno's. Having said that, Spiller is still a dynasty "hold".

Well, should Spiller land on another NFL team (as the post to which your're replying strongly suggests), that sould certainly qualify as something changing.Fred Jackson went to the mailbox last week, and got an AARP card. Things are bound to change. Spiller has become the essence of what Dynasty Leagues are (IMO) supposed to be all about: a player you sit on for a few years, hoping he'll develop. Dynasty isn't (only) about everybody keeping all the studs. It's about folks banking on their wits and eying prospects from afar. Granted, Spiller was not supposed to be a 'project' when he was drafted, but it was widely wondered whether he might not get buried in Buffalo, with fantasy and NFL draftniks wondering aloud whether Buffalo wasn't a terrible fit for him. Then, Jackson got even better. Yeah, things will have to change before Spiller develops much. It might take a couple years. He might even be a bust. But that isn't known yet. That can't be known yet. And it would be silly to bank on it.If you're ready to give up, trade him.
Wholeheartedly agree as I mentioned in my initial post.Well said.But, again everything depends on league formats. In my contact based league, I've got a four year window and have seen almost nothing to date. He doesn't even get change of pace work recently. To me his best value was in name value to deal for players that will produce in that for year time frame. Injuries and trades could make me regret that but I was comfortable dealing him and going with a little less upside for more certain production.

Redraft league.

6/-2/0

4/11/0

6/25/0

6/23/0

9/25/0

8/21/0

12/74/0

7/23/0

5/9/0

What's that, you ask?

Darren McFadden's game log for most of his 2nd year in the league.

He finished that year with only 104 carries, 357 yards, and 1 rushing TD. His reception #'s were 21/245.

He was behind Justin Fargas and Michael Bush as well. Neither of those guys were playing like Fred Jackson is right now.

what a bust this guy has been, you'd think he would of flashed something at this point, he's been useless and will probably stay useless for the foreseeable future anyone just straight up releasing him?
I just offered Boldin straight up for CJ Spiller, so I think he has some value. Haven't heard back on the offer yet, but this thread is giving me hope that he may accept.

6/-2/04/11/06/25/06/23/09/25/08/21/012/74/07/23/05/9/0What's that, you ask? Darren McFadden's game log for most of his 2nd year in the league.He finished that year with only 104 carries, 357 yards, and 1 rushing TD. His reception #'s were 21/245. He was behind Justin Fargas and Michael Bush as well. Neither of those guys were playing like Fred Jackson is right now.
He was also much more successful running the football in college and had a breakout game rushing his rookie year. Spiller has returned a couple of kickoffs in the NFL, that's it.

For redraft leagues, do you think he has value if Fred Jackson goes down? He is sitting on my waiver wire and I've picked him up and dropped him multiple times this season...but getting into the playoffs, I'm wondering what kind of value he would have if something were to happen to Jackson.

No.If Spiller is droppable, it's not a Dynasty League. It's just some type of keeper league.
Well said. I was too late on the 'buy low' chance in our league and now I'd be paying his new owner too much to get him.Definitely buy or hold.

Just traded D Moore(OAK) and R Torain (WSH) for him in dynasty. I couldn't stand having Torain while Shanny is the coach there. I really liked Moore as a project, but my team has enough WR projects as is. I'm hoping he starts getting some chances later this year. I just can't see Jackson holding up the entire year. We saw Jackson hurt twice last week, although he was back in shortly afterwards. Those hits will start taking a toll sooner or later.

I vaguely remember an article a few weeks back over at Pro Football Focus that detailed the fact that Spiller (at the time) was among the best in the league in terms of fantasy points per touch. Wish I could find the link. Regardless, throwing Spiller to the waiver in dynasty is a colossal mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread