What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Delhomme done? (1 Viewer)

sdsjr3

Footballguy
Just got my morning email from Rotoworld and at the end they say "Jake Delhomme was probably on his way out anyway, but a fractured finger should open the door fully for Matt Moore".

Carolina homers: Does this mean Jake is done? I just lost Matt Ryan for possibly the year and would consider picking up Matt Moore if true.

And...if it is true...what's the word on Moore's potential value? Could he be effective as a spot starter? TB seems like a good matchup this week.

Just got my morning email from Rotoworld and at the end they say "Jake Delhomme was probably on his way out anyway, but a fractured finger should open the door fully for Matt Moore".Carolina homers: Does this mean Jake is done? I just lost Matt Ryan for possibly the year and would consider picking up Matt Moore if true.And...if it is true...what's the word on Moore's potential value? Could he be effective as a spot starter? TB seems like a good matchup this week.
As a Panthers fan, I"m somewhat excited to see Moore in action again. He did a credible job his rookie year filling in for a couple of games, but hasn't done anything since. Having said that, Moore is not going to win you fantasy games. He will most likely have a fairly tight leash on him and we'll probably see more of Williams and Stewart. Basically, pretend he's a rookie QB with a long preseason under his belt. He'll have more command of the playbook than a traditional rookie QB (although there were whispers that he didn't really know the playbook a couple weeks ago), but he'll still be restrained somewhat by Fox and Davidson. You'll still see him try to go downfield a couple of times a game and he might hook up with Steve Smith a time or two. If you have a better option, I'd certainly be looking in that direction, but as a last gasp, he'll get you probably 7-10 points a game would be my guess.I can forsee increased points for Williams and Stewart, same to a slight increase for Steve Smith (can't get much worse), and maybe a bump up for the TE position (problem is that Carolina can't seem to make a decision on who's going to be the TE and rotate King, Rosario, and Barnidge too much for any one of them to really make an impact). In the long run, I'm hoping he gets a real good look for the end of the season. We really need to know what we're looking for in the draft next year. I'd like to see a lot of Moore, Dwayne Jarrett, and Kenny Moore on offense.

VaCatFan,

Do you see them beating TB this weekend? TB has been playing much better since they installed Freeman at QB.

-TIA

Hard to see Fox benching Delhomme just because of a broken finger on his throwing hand..

VaCatFan, Do you see them beating TB this weekend? TB has been playing much better since they installed Freeman at QB.-TIA
Depends. Can they run the ball well and with authority while chewing up the clock and having Moore "manage" the game rather than trying to win the game by passing? If they can do that, then yeah, they can win the game. If Moore has to throw more than 20 times or for over 150 yards without some huge gains, then no, something went wrong. I think we'll see a lot of west coast offense as they keep Moore under control. Lots of short passes to the TE and RB's with a few shots downfield just to keep the DB's honest. I think he'll be a lot like Henne in Miami. If I had to guess right now, the way both teams seem to play each other most of the time, it's going to be a 13-9 game. Winner is probably a tossup as to who makes fewer mistakes. BTW, I like what I've seen of Freeman. I think he has a lot of potential if he's brought along the right way. So far, that seems to be happening.

Only QB in the league with 10 more INTs than TDs (only because Derek Anderson and JRus got benched). :goodposting:

Curious what the Stewart/Williams owners are thinking about this situation.

I own Stewart, and while it's normal to assume more work for the RBs, Tampa Bay knows this as well. Do they commit more defenders to the run? Does it even matter if they do?

I also own Smitty, but there's no way I'm playing him with Moore starting... it helps that I have other WR options though.

A broken finger on his throwing hand may make Delhomme a BETTER qb.

Heck, it couldn't make him any worse.

Curious what the Stewart/Williams owners are thinking about this situation.I own Stewart, and while it's normal to assume more work for the RBs, Tampa Bay knows this as well. Do they commit more defenders to the run? Does it even matter if they do? I also own Smitty, but there's no way I'm playing him with Moore starting... it helps that I have other WR options though.
Could Moore actually be any worse than Delhomme was? I'm thinking this will be an upgrade to the offense.....RB and WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious what the Stewart/Williams owners are thinking about this situation.

I own Stewart, and while it's normal to assume more work for the RBs, Tampa Bay knows this as well. Do they commit more defenders to the run? Does it even matter if they do?

I also own Smitty, but there's no way I'm playing him with Moore starting... it helps that I have other WR options though.
I'm too lazy to pull up the stats, but Smith did quite well with Moore at QB when last Moore started in his rookie year in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too lazy to pull up the stats, but Smith did quite well with Moore at QB when last Moore started in his rookie year in 2007.
Maybe the Carolina homers can set me straight, but Smith doesn't seem like the same player he's been in the past. Delhomme has been TERRIBLE... no question. But I'm not ready to pin all of Smith's struggles on Jake.

There's no way this can be a considered a downgrade for Smith. Jake has been a total nothing short of a disgrace this season. Anyone who's watched Panthers games has seen Smith open only to be over and under thrown repeatedly.

And last time Moore played I seem to recall Smith averaging something around 80 and a touch. Any Panthers homers care to weigh in on this?

As a Smith owner, he's on my bench right now, but he does still have some nice playoff matchups. Hopefully Moore and Smith can get reacquanted this week before the real season begins in week 14.

Curious what the Stewart/Williams owners are thinking about this situation.I own Stewart, and while it's normal to assume more work for the RBs, Tampa Bay knows this as well. Do they commit more defenders to the run? Does it even matter if they do? I also own Smitty, but there's no way I'm playing him with Moore starting... it helps that I have other WR options though.
It gets interesting if Williams and Stewart are both less than 100%. Carolina will want to run on TB, especially with Moore at QB - but who gets the carries??

Maybe the Carolina homers can set me straight, but Smith doesn't seem like the same player he's been in the past. Delhomme has been TERRIBLE... no question. But I'm not ready to pin all of Smith's struggles on Jake.
Did you see the Thursday night game vs Miami? Smith seriously could have had 3 TDs and about 180 yards if Delhomme could have hit him while he was open. I nearly clawed my eyes out watching him throw the ball.

From Steve Smith profile on FBGs:

Week 11 vs MIA - Steve Smith overcame a minor car accident on the way to the Thursday night game to post a solid night as the top wide receiver for Carolina in Week 11. The opportunities for big plays were there all night long for Smith as he was beating single coverage consistently but Jake Delhomme was way off target most of the time which cost Smith a huge performance. They finally connected for a touchdown of 27 yards in the fourth quarter on a play where Delhomme threw a nice spiral of a pass but it was truly a jump ball and Smith made one of his outstandingly athletic plays to leap and secure the ball just beyond the goal line and stayed in bounds. Smith has enormous big game potential but is limited by Delhomme's inaccuracy but should still be able to rack up enough catches and yardage to be a must-start every week.

Smith is still an awesome talent. Put him on any number of teams with even just a mediocre QB and he'd be having another pro bowl year.

VaCatFan, Do you see them beating TB this weekend? TB has been playing much better since they installed Freeman at QB.-TIA
Depends. Can they run the ball well and with authority while chewing up the clock and having Moore "manage" the game rather than trying to win the game by passing? If they can do that, then yeah, they can win the game. If Moore has to throw more than 20 times or for over 150 yards without some huge gains, then no, something went wrong. I think we'll see a lot of west coast offense as they keep Moore under control. Lots of short passes to the TE and RB's with a few shots downfield just to keep the DB's honest. I think he'll be a lot like Henne in Miami. If I had to guess right now, the way both teams seem to play each other most of the time, it's going to be a 13-9 game. Winner is probably a tossup as to who makes fewer mistakes. BTW, I like what I've seen of Freeman. I think he has a lot of potential if he's brought along the right way. So far, that seems to be happening.
Not far off from what I projected. Moore 14/20 for 161. No Td's and 1 int. Stewart ran the ball well and while they didn't chew up the clock (actually lost the TOP battle), Moore pretty much did what he was supposed to do. He got Muhammad more involved in the game and had 5 receptions to tight ends. One long reception to Smith (70yds)was what pulled his numbers up. The defense really won the game. It was interesting to see everyone really pumped up. All that said, if this is an average team and not Tampa, we probably lose the game. While the offense was "effective", it's not enough to win against good teams. The defense played really well in the red zone with their typical "bend, don't break" attitude.I still like Freeman. He made some really nice passes. He made some rookie mistakes (this was just his 5th start). He just got locked too much onto Bryant and tried to make some perfect passes. It was nice to see Fox actually talk to him after the game. Looked like he was trying to pump him back up a bit. Antonio Bryant had some crazy receptions. If he had been healthy all year, Tampa may be a different team. Also nice to see Cadillac Williams run the way he did. He showed some nice burst and some strength running through tackles.

I still like Freeman. He made some really nice passes. He made some rookie mistakes (this was just his 5th start). He just got locked too much onto Bryant and tried to make some perfect passes. It was nice to see Fox actually talk to him after the game. Looked like he was trying to pump him back up a bit. Antonio Bryant had some crazy receptions. If he had been healthy all year, Tampa may be a different team. Also nice to see Cadillac Williams run the way he did. He showed some nice burst and some strength running through tackles.
I like Freeman too. He threw 5 interceptions, but he is raw, and basically learning on the job. He had some great throws during the game as well, and getting this playing time will really help him for next year. If Bryant resigns with the Bucs, that will be nice for Freeman. I've always liked Cadillac. As for the cats, I agree that Stewart ran well. He is hard to bring down. Moore played well enough. Considering all the injuries on the defense, the D played very well.

After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in. He throws a nice ball, mobile and looks the part. If we could have the Buffalo and Miami game back then this season would be a lot more interesting. Hopefully Jake has played his last down as a Panther. By Fox waiting so long to insert Moore that probably will cost him his job.

After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in. He throws a nice ball, mobile and looks the part. If we could have the Buffalo and Miami game back then this season would be a lot more interesting.
That's easy to say, but they were playing the Bucs yesterday who have struggled this year, and it doesn't mean he would have lifted the Panthers to a win over Buffalo and Miami. Hopefully they will continue to play him for the rest of the year so he can continue to get experience and be evaluated.

After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in. He throws a nice ball, mobile and looks the part. If we could have the Buffalo and Miami game back then this season would be a lot more interesting. Hopefully Jake has played his last down as a Panther. By Fox waiting so long to insert Moore that probably will cost him his job.
I think a lot of it had to do with the outrageous extension they gave Delhomme in the offseason. I think that was about 42 million reasons why they didn't bring him in earlier. By having this "injury", it allows them to say they didn't make a mistake in re-signing him.

After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in. He throws a nice ball, mobile and looks the part. If we could have the Buffalo and Miami game back then this season would be a lot more interesting.
That's easy to say, but they were playing the Bucs yesterday who have struggled this year, and it doesn't mean he would have lifted the Panthers to a win over Buffalo and Miami. Hopefully they will continue to play him for the rest of the year so he can continue to get experience and be evaluated.
I agree. I just hope that even though they're techically "still in contention" for a playoff spot that they don't trot Delhomme back out there. Moore needs the reps to see what he is. We definitely need more than what we saw yesterday, but bringing him along slowly can only help. He looked pretty good out there, but I did see some weird plays which may have been busted or just really badly drawn up. That one pass to Smith along the right side where he kinda rolled that way and when the DE was in his face unblocked, he just kinda heaved it out there. Smith almost came down with it, but that was just a bad play.

I am not saying Moore would have beaten those teams, I am saying he would have given us a better chance than Jake. There really is no excuse to losing to Buff at home. Miami maybe but not Buffalo. My point was that if Fox went with Moore earlier and we could have won at least one of those games and Moore would be settling in now and getting confident then the season would not be completely over. Instead Fox coached himself right out of a job.

I am not saying Moore would have beaten those teams, I am saying he would have given us a better chance than Jake. There really is no excuse to losing to Buff at home. Miami maybe but not Buffalo. My point was that if Fox went with Moore earlier and we could have won at least one of those games and Moore would be settling in now and getting confident then the season would not be completely over. Instead Fox coached himself right out of a job.
I don't know if Moore would have given the Panthers a better chance than Jake in those games, especially since the play calling was awful.

pantherclub said:
After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in.
Maybe because he's not that good. He was an adequate game manager against one of the worst teams in the league yesterday, but that simply isn't good enough when you have to play real teams like New England, Minnesota, and New Orleans. Tampa is one of worst fantasy defenses against quarterbacks, yet Moore ended up with a 73.1 passer rating.Carolina won this game because of its defense, not because of anything Moore did. If the Panthers win another game all year I'll be shocked.

pantherclub said:
After watching the entire game yesterday I am at a total loss of words as to why Fox waited so long to put Moore in.
Maybe because he's not that good. He was an adequate game manager against one of the worst teams in the league yesterday, but that simply isn't good enough when you have to play real teams like New England, Minnesota, and New Orleans. Tampa is one of worst fantasy defenses against quarterbacks, yet Moore ended up with a 73.1 passer rating.Carolina won this game because of its defense, not because of anything Moore did. If the Panthers win another game all year I'll be shocked.
I am not saying he is Montana or Marino at this point, but I can say without a doubt that Moore right now is leap years better than Jake. Jake for starters simply cannot make the throws that Moore can make. This was moore's first game in 2 years so I dont expect him to come in like a gunslinger, he did what was asked of him. We shall see what happens going further but I am saying with Moore we would have had a better chance to win vs. Buff and Miami without a doubt. Having said that, Moore did lock onto a wr yesterday and never looked away. He has to stop this.

Users who are viewing this thread