What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Dez Bryant really THAT good? (1 Viewer)

I was just looking at his highlights and came away wondering if he is going to be an elite WR.

He isn't a blazer...not sure how quick he is either b/c he seems to be lazy running routes. Then add in the off the field(suspension, possible attitude, and not working out at the combine/not finishing drills at his pro day).

He is physical, hard to bring down, and has produced some great numbers(when he played in college).

Crabtree had many of the same question marks......however he was much more decorated than Dez.

I also think a lot will depend on where he goes in the draft. If he slides into the 20's, I will be more cautious than if he ended up in the early teens....b/c then NFL brass aren't as confident in him as well.

Yes, he's THAT good.

Is this a :popcorn: attempt?

This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?

And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".

i'll bite.. Dez is better than crabtree, and could be as good as or better (my belief) than calvin.. the reason better than calvin is based on where he could end up.. if he really falls to the Pats.. he's a top 10 next year, and top 5 after that....

Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :lmao: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
Actually, Crabtree was more "decorated". Since we're talking about their college careers and the Biletnikoff award is reserved for the top college WR, then this is how WRs are "decorated" in the NCAA.Crabtree -- 2 Biletnikoff awards (1st WR to ever win this award twice)Dez Bryant -- 0 Biletnikoff awards

Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :goodposting: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
:lmao:I knew you'd be in here defending his honor.Dez's awards:2007 2nd team freshman All-America2008 1st team All-AmericaCrabtree's awards:2 First Team All-America2 Biletnikoff2 Warfields

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :lmao: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
B/c I start lots of fishing threadsIf you think Dez is a stud that runs great routes and puts forth more effort....then state it.I am in a position to take him in a few leagues...so I may end up with him on some of my teams...so this is in no way a benefit to me.It is rather a discussion.

I was just looking at his highlights and came away wondering if he is going to be an elite WR.

He isn't a blazer...not sure how quick he is either b/c he seems to be lazy running routes. Then add in the off the field(suspension, possible attitude, and not working out at the combine/not finishing drills at his pro day).

He is physical, hard to bring down, and has produced some great numbers(when he played in college).

Crabtree had many of the same question marks......however he was much more decorated than Dez.
I think Dez's chance to earn more honors was stripped of him by not being truthful to the NCAA.

Had he finished the year, I'd think he would have blown up some more.

I'd think he would be earmarked for top ten draft status. The negative slide is silly. Those with the 1.3 can only hope he falls to them.

I'd have greater concerns with his mom being a cokehead, than Dez's talent. That makes me apprehensive somewhat, otherwise, Dez is going to slide down to a playoff team, with solid qb play.

Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :D attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
B/c I start lots of fishing threadsIf you think Dez is a stud that runs great routes and puts forth more effort....then state it.I am in a position to take him in a few leagues...so I may end up with him on some of my teams...so this is in no way a benefit to me.It is rather a discussion.
A discussion that's happened many different times over the last month or so in multiple threads. Maybe it's not fishing, but it's not like you are creating a new discussion either. You want to make it Dez vs. Crabtree....go that route. The subject sounds like fishing.

I completely agree with whatever teams took him off their draft boards. Too many concerns with the guy, I wouldn't give him a dollar. Top 10 talent with a UDFA character. Not worth the risk.

Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :D attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
Actually, Crabtree was more "decorated". Since we're talking about their college careers and the Biletnikoff award is reserved for the top college WR, then this is how WRs are "decorated" in the NCAA.Crabtree -- 2 Biletnikoff awards (1st WR to ever win this award twice)Dez Bryant -- 0 Biletnikoff awards
I think I misinterpreted what decorated meant. I was taking it to say that Crabtree accomplished a lot more statistically than Dez.

Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :mellow: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
I think I misinterpreted what decorated meant. I was taking it to say that Crabtree accomplished a lot more statistically than Dez.
What was misinterpreted, was that you really are ruining the thread

I was just looking at his highlights and came away wondering if he is going to be an elite WR.He isn't a blazer...not sure how quick he is either b/c he seems to be lazy running routes. Then add in the off the field(suspension, possible attitude, and not working out at the combine/not finishing drills at his pro day).He is physical, hard to bring down, and has produced some great numbers(when he played in college).Crabtree had many of the same question marks......however he was much more decorated than Dez.
Crabtree and Dez both have elite hands and elite quickness, but Dez has better long speed, despite being taller and thicker. Although Crabtree is good at winning jump balls against cornerbacks, Dez is on a whole 'nother level. With Dez's size, speed, and leaping ability, he's just a more dominating presence than Crabtree. Though both Crabtree and Dez will likely be star WRs imo.

People who cite his speed as a negative really don't know what they're talking about. It's the same absurd talk that we heard last year about Michael Crabtree. And just like last year, it's completely wrong. The fact that Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are tall, heavy, and fast has seemingly lead some people to the erroneous conclusion that every single elite WR prospect must be tall, heavy, and fast. People who think speed is the sole determinant of upside for WRs don't really understand football and how the game is played.

Here's the golden rule with speed: if you're slow, you'd better be big. If you're small, you'd better be fast. Little receivers like DeSean Jackson and Steve Smith need to have great speed and quickness because it's the only way that they can consistently get open against 190 pound corners with 4.4 speed. Big receivers don't need elite speed and quickness because they can outmuscle and overpower defenders. The people who said Crabtree was too slow to succeed in the NFL completely missed the point. Speed was never an important part of his game. He made a living with initial quickness, a big frame, great hands, and phenomenal football instincts. His game was never about burning people downfield, so why did he need elite speed?

He didn't.

Now let's talk about Dez. The first thing you need to realize is that he's huge for a WR. At 6'1" 224 pounds, he's one of the bulkiest WRs in the league in terms of BMI/body thickness. Here's how he compares to other jumbo WRs:

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

Calvin Johnson has elite built up speed and Andre Johnson is a freak of nature to run as fast as he does at his size, but as a whole the above group of elite receivers are not defined by their speed. Fitzgerald and Marshall are high 4.4-low 4.5 types. Boldin and Crabtree are probably a little bit slower than that. They're still wildly effective because they have a great combination of quickness, strength, height, hands, and football instincts. That pretty much describes Dez Bryant. He's bigger than Fitzgerald/Boldin/Crabtree and he has a comparable combination of athletic ability and football talent.

Let's take a closer look at his workout:

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

4.52 is not bad speed. It's about on par with Fitzgerald, Edwards, and Marshall. If those guys can make big plays with this speed then Dez will too. He has a nice stride and you can see him pull away from people on some of his punt returns. No, he won't be burning everyone at the NFL level, but he will run step-for-step with most corners and is fast enough to sneak downfield several times a game.

38" is a very good vertical leap. It's not quite super elite, but it's pretty close. It would've been a top 10 result among the WRs at the combine.

11'1" is an elite broad jump, particularly for a receiver who's only 6'1". It would have been the best result of any player at the combine and better than any of the other WRs by half a foot. And this comes from a guy who's heavier and thicker than almost every other WR/DB in the draft. So...a guy with a massive frame still blew away the competition in a drill designed to test a player's upfield explosiveness.

This guy is one of the most talented WRs to enter the draft in the past few years. He's a better athlete than Crabtree and Fitzgerald. He may be a better overall athlete than Calvin (he's not as fast in a straight line, but I think he's quicker with better playing strength). He can be as good as he wants to be. If he stays healthy and works hard, he's probably a future Pro Bowler.

Dez is getting extra attention this year because this draft is a bit void of playmakers at the WR position...but let's not pretend he's the next Randy Moss, because he isn't

He's a bit overhyped, but with his speed has potential.

One of the things that worries me about Bryant is hearing that he told one of the NFL Network guys at his pro day that he doesn't like to run slant routes. Where can his head be at to be telling anyone that?

Crabtree has played WR for 3 years of his life, 2 of those years he was college WR of the year and then there was his rookie year in the NFL where he came in 6 weeks late and didn't look like a rookie WR in the NFL. My money is on Crabtree, his hands are elite, Dez isn't elite at anything IMO.

He's good, but not at the level many are suggesting. Out of the top WR's the past few years i'd rank them as follows how they ranked coming into the league.

1ab)Larry Fitz/Calvin Johnson

2)Charles Rogers (yes he busted but he was thought of as a beast when he came out. Injuries/attitude/drugs stopped him)

3)Andre Johnson

drop off

4ab)Michael Crabtree/Dez Bryant

5)Roy Williams

6)Braylon Edwards

I think Dez and Crabtree are very good prospects with top notch FF potential but lack the mental package of the calvin/fitz/aj types.

EBF said:
People who cite his speed as a negative really don't know what they're talking about. It's the same absurd talk that we heard last year about Michael Crabtree. And just like last year, it's completely wrong. The fact that Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are tall, heavy, and fast has seemingly lead some people to the erroneous conclusion that every single elite WR prospect must be tall, heavy, and fast. People who think speed is the sole determinant of upside for WRs don't really understand football and how the game is played.

Here's the golden rule with speed: if you're slow, you'd better be big. If you're small, you'd better be fast. Little receivers like DeSean Jackson and Steve Smith need to have great speed and quickness because it's the only way that they can consistently get open against 190 pound corners with 4.4 speed. Big receivers don't need elite speed and quickness because they can outmuscle and overpower defenders. The people who said Crabtree was too slow to succeed in the NFL completely missed the point. Speed was never an important part of his game. He made a living with initial quickness, a big frame, great hands, and phenomenal football instincts. His game was never about burning people downfield, so why did he need elite speed?

He didn't.

Now let's talk about Dez. The first thing you need to realize is that he's huge for a WR. At 6'1" 224 pounds, he's one of the bulkiest WRs in the league in terms of BMI/body thickness. Here's how he compares to other jumbo WRs:

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

Calvin Johnson has elite built up speed and Andre Johnson is a freak of nature to run as fast as he does at his size, but as a whole the above group of elite receivers are not defined by their speed. Fitzgerald and Marshall are high 4.4-low 4.5 types. Boldin and Crabtree are probably a little bit slower than that. They're still wildly effective because they have a great combination of quickness, strength, height, hands, and football instincts. That pretty much describes Dez Bryant. He's bigger than Fitzgerald/Boldin/Crabtree and he has a comparable combination of athletic ability and football talent.

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

4.52 is not bad speed. It's about on par with Fitzgerald, Edwards, and Marshall. If those guys can make big plays with this speed then Dez will too. He has a nice stride and you can see him pull away from people on some of his punt returns. No, he won't be burning everyone at the NFL level, but he will run step-for-step with most corners and is fast enough to sneak downfield several times a game.

38" is a very good vertical leap. It's not quite super elite, but it's pretty close. It would've been a top 10 result among the WRs at the combine.

11'1" is an elite broad jump, particularly for a receiver who's only 6'1". It would have been the best result of any player at the combine and better than any of the other WRs by half a foot. And this comes from a guy who's heavier and thicker than almost every other WR/DB in the draft. So...a guy with a massive frame still blew away the competition in a drill designed to test a player's upfield explosiveness.

This guy is one of the most talented WRs to enter the draft in the past few years. He's a better athlete than Crabtree and Fitzgerald. He may be a better overall athlete than Calvin (he's not as fast in a straight line, but I think he's quicker with better playing strength). He can be as good as he wants to be. If he stays healthy and works hard, he's probably a future Pro Bowler.
Considering almost nobody else cited speed, I'm going to assume your remark is to my post.

I said elite speed....which he doesn't have. He also doesn't have elite quickness IMO....I also see lazy route running. The most important trait for a WR is quickness....I don't care how fast a WR is...if they aren't quick off the line to beat press coverage....quick in and out of breaks....quick bursts to the ball or to seperate from defenders once they have the ball, they are going to have problems in the NFL.

Dez has a great vertical jump and had a great broad jump.....but until I see the dedication....heart.....I am going to have a thread like this. Also when his team needs him the most he doesn't have a ball go off of his hands and returned for an INT in the 4th to lose to Houston....or get suspended most of the year.

EBF said:

He didn't.

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

Considering almost nobody else cited speed, I'm going to assume your remark is to my post.

I said elite speed....which he doesn't have. He also doesn't have elite quickness IMO....I also see lazy route running. The most important trait for a WR is quickness....I don't care how fast a WR is...if they aren't quick off the line to beat press coverage....quick in and out of breaks....quick bursts to the ball or to seperate from defenders once they have the ball, they are going to have problems in the NFL.

Dez has a great vertical jump and had a great broad jump.....but until I see the dedication....heart.....I am going to have a thread like this. Also when his team needs him the most he doesn't have a ball go off of his hands and returned for an INT in the 4th to lose to Houston....or get suspended most of the year.
Ya, but look at his BMI! I mean, unless you can prove that his cholesterol level is below-average, I'm gonna have to side with EBF here.

In all seriousness though, where do you rank Bryant as a WR prospect? Is he below a Taylor Price or David Gettis like some people on this post might have you believe? The guy has prototypical size, and elite ball skills (which is why everyone loved crabtree last year). He also displays more than adequate speed and burst, despite his slow-ish timed speed. He's a physical WR who knows how to use his body to get in position and to make a catch, and he also demonstrated a willingness and ability to block downfield. Plus, he put all this together into a productive career in college. Sure he's a bit lazy in his routes and he can sometimes lose focus. I mean, he may not be perfect, but he seems to have everything we look for in a WR prospect. As a prospect goes, why wouldn't he be on the same level as some of the recent studs? Now, if you want to argue that he won't succeed in the NFL (ala Rogers), make your case. But as far as having the talent to be an all-pro, I think its there.

In all seriousness though, where do you rank Bryant as a WR prospect? Is he below a Taylor Price or David Gettis like some people on this post might have you believe?
You're being overly dramatic here. I think what people will tell you in this thread is that Dez is the #1 WR this year, I didn't see anyone mention Taylor Price, David Gettis or Barney Rubble here. Dez is not on the same level with Crabtree but is tops in this class.

In all seriousness though, where do you rank Bryant as a WR prospect? Is he below a Taylor Price or David Gettis like some people on this post might have you believe?
You're being overly dramatic here. I think what people will tell you in this thread is that Dez is the #1 WR this year, I didn't see anyone mention Taylor Price, David Gettis or Barney Rubble here. Dez is not on the same level with Crabtree but is tops in this class.
Says the 49ers fan with Michael Crabtree as his profile icon. :thumbup:FWIW, CJ Spiller is the #1 RB this year, but he is not on the same level as the Polk High version of Al Bundy.

doowain said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
doowain said:
Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :thumbup: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
A discussion that's happened many different times over the last month or so in multiple threads. Maybe it's not fishing, but it's not like you are creating a new discussion either. You want to make it Dez vs. Crabtree....go that route. The subject sounds like fishing.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

doowain said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
doowain said:
Yes, he's THAT good.Is this a :thumbup: attempt?This issue has been batted back and forth quite a few times on here in multiple threads. Do we really need another one?And, no, Crabtree was not more "decorated".
You must be a lot of fun at parties.
Indeed I am. Thank you.

Add me to the boat that thinks Bryant is overhyped. Any other draft he would be a late 1st to mid 2nd rd pick. I'm not sure if he will be a bust, but I do know it is crazy talk to include Bryant with CJ and AJ in the same sentence as far as talent goes.

EBF said:

He didn't.

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

I am not sure how you can say he is not quick off the line- Dez had the best ten yard split time in the 40 yard dash out of all of the receivers at the combine. Most NFL scouts feel that the ten yard split is a better indication of "football speed" than the 40 yard time, as this is going to be the area that you gain separation. While he may not win the footrace down the sideline all of the time, when he doesn't he has such superb hands. body control, and leaping ability that he is going to come down with the ball the majority of the times. People can question his judgement and maybe his heart, but I really can't see knocking him for not being a straight line burner considering all the other attributes he posseses. IMO DEZ= Destination End Zone

I am not sure how you can say he is not quick off the line- Dez had the best ten yard split time in the 40 yard dash out of all of the receivers at the combine.
He didn't run at the combine and you really can't compare pro day times with combine times. Even if you could, NFL DraftScout has his 10 yard time as 1.53, which would place him 16th (about midpoint) in the range of combine times.

EBF said:

He didn't.

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

I am not sure how you can say he is not quick off the line- Dez had the best ten yard split time in the 40 yard dash out of all of the receivers at the combine. Most NFL scouts feel that the ten yard split is a better indication of "football speed" than the 40 yard time, as this is going to be the area that you gain separation. While he may not win the footrace down the sideline all of the time, when he doesn't he has such superb hands. body control, and leaping ability that he is going to come down with the ball the majority of the times. People can question his judgement and maybe his heart, but I really can't see knocking him for not being a straight line burner considering all the other attributes he posseses. IMO DEZ= Destination End Zone
Love that!

I am not sure how you can say he is not quick off the line- Dez had the best ten yard split time in the 40 yard dash out of all of the receivers at the combine.
He didn't run at the combine and you really can't compare pro day times with combine times. Even if you could, NFL DraftScout has his 10 yard time as 1.53, which would place him 16th (about midpoint) in the range of combine times.
I don't see where they list a ten yard split time for Dez on NFL Draftscout - Draft Scout WR timesThey list him as a 4.52 for his 40 times, but don't give a ten yard split time that I can see. I agree the combine and pro day workouts are not apples to apples, but is really all we have to work off of and think you can draw some relative comparisons. I also can't imagine the field conditions at Lufkin High School where Dez worked out, was any better than that of Lucas Oil Stadium where the combine was held.

EBF said:

He didn't.

Andre Johnson - 29.5

Dez Bryant - 29.1

Anquan Boldin - 28.9

Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3

Calvin Johnson - 28.3

Michael Crabtree - 28.1

Brandon Marshall - 27.6

6'1.5" 224

40 - 4.52 seconds

Vertical - 38"

Broad Jump - 11'1"

Ya, but look at his BMI! I mean, unless you can prove that his cholesterol level is below-average, I'm gonna have to side with EBF here.

In all seriousness though, where do you rank Bryant as a WR prospect? Is he below a Taylor Price or David Gettis like some people on this post might have you believe? The guy has prototypical size, and elite ball skills (which is why everyone loved crabtree last year). He also displays more than adequate speed and burst, despite his slow-ish timed speed. He's a physical WR who knows how to use his body to get in position and to make a catch, and he also demonstrated a willingness and ability to block downfield. Plus, he put all this together into a productive career in college. Sure he's a bit lazy in his routes and he can sometimes lose focus. I mean, he may not be perfect, but he seems to have everything we look for in a WR prospect. As a prospect goes, why wouldn't he be on the same level as some of the recent studs? Now, if you want to argue that he won't succeed in the NFL (ala Rogers), make your case. But as far as having the talent to be an all-pro, I think its there.
I have him as the #1 ranked WR and already mentioned i'm in a position to take him....and probably will in a few leagues.

I don't think he has elite quickness....but the biggest indicator is the motivation...the heart....the selfishness....the lack of focus that leads to a dropped pass near the end of the 4th quarter, which turns into 7 points for the other team.

Is he that good.....in regards to being the an elite(WR 1 in FF leagues) WR at the next level.

I don't see where they list a ten yard split time for Dez on NFL Draftscout - Draft Scout WR timesThey list him as a 4.52 for his 40 times, but don't give a ten yard split time that I can see. I agree the combine and pro day workouts are not apples to apples, but is really all we have to work off of and think you can draw some relative comparisons. I also can't imagine the field conditions at Lufkin High School where Dez worked out, was any better than that of Lucas Oil Stadium where the combine was held.
It's from their old site in the members section:40 Yrd Dash: 4.52

20 Yrd Dash: 2.51

10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

I like him but just think it's tough to draw any quickness assessment from his 10 yard split. If anything, he's just average (using the 10 yard split).

I like him but just think it's tough to draw any quickness assessment from his 10 yard split. If anything, he's just average (using the 10 yard split).
As long as we're talking about 10 yard splits, I'll put in my homer plug.

Senior (to be) WR Niles Paul of Nebraska set a school record in the 10 yard dash this winter with an electronic 1.40, run twice to be sure. He broke the record of his Uncle Ahman Green (1.42).

Well- not sure how current or where they pulled those times from. The Green Bay paper from April 17th said he had a 1.50 10 yard split from his recent pro day workout.Dez Bryant Pro Workout Numbers from Green Bay Gazette

At any rate- even if his 40 yard split is 1.53 which is "average"- given the fact that he is being lumped in with guys like Jacoby Ford and some other track star type guys- I really can't see where his speed/quickness can be called into question, especially for his size. I don't put a lot of stock in some of the combine/pro day results and am from the camp that the football tape is the most telling facet of a players future. There are countless guys that have posted elite measurables at the combine that made a minimal impact in the NFL if at all.

Well- not sure how current or where they pulled those times from. The Green Bay paper from April 17th said he had a 1.50 10 yard split from his recent pro day workout.Dez Bryant Pro Workout Numbers from Green Bay Gazette

At any rate- even if his 40 yard split is 1.53 which is "average"- given the fact that he is being lumped in with guys like Jacoby Ford and some other track star type guys- I really can't see where his speed/quickness can be called into question, especially for his size. I don't put a lot of stock in some of the combine/pro day results and am from the camp that the football tape is the most telling facet of a players future. There are countless guys that have posted elite measurables at the combine that made a minimal impact in the NFL if at all.
Exactly. A look back at the top 10 WRs of 2009. 1. Andre Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Wes Welker

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Miles Austin

6. Larry Fitzgerald

7. Brandon Marshall

8. Steve Smith (NYG)

9. Roddy White

10. Sidney Rice

There are only a couple guys here with elite speed (AJ and Moss). There are a few guys that make their money with short area quickness (Welker, Austin, SS). I think Dez projects the closest in skill set to Marshall (big, strong, nearly impossible to take down in the open field). I don't know why we think guys need to be burners to be elite. By most people's accounts Brandon Marshall is a Top 5 WR. He does not have elite speed. Far from it. So, why does a player like Marshall not need top notch speed to be elite, but Dez cannot be elite because he doesn't have it? Seems to be contradictory to me. And, you can play the headcase card with Dez, but I'm fairly certain Brandon Marshall can either match him or one up him in that department.

Exactly. A look back at the top 10 WRs of 2009. 1. Andre Johnson2. Randy Moss3. Wes Welker4. Reggie Wayne5. Miles Austin6. Larry Fitzgerald7. Brandon Marshall8. Steve Smith (NYG)9. Roddy White10. Sidney RiceThere are only a couple guys here with elite speed (AJ and Moss). There are a few guys that make their money with short area quickness (Welker, Austin, SS). I think Dez projects the closest in skill set to Marshall (big, strong, nearly impossible to take down in the open field). I don't know why we think guys need to be burners to be elite. By most people's accounts Brandon Marshall is a Top 5 WR. He does not have elite speed. Far from it. So, why does a player like Marshall not need top notch speed to be elite, but Dez cannot be elite because he doesn't have it? Seems to be contradictory to me. And, you can play the headcase card with Dez, but I'm fairly certain Brandon Marshall can either match him or one up him in that department.
Who says you need elite speed? All of the players above run great routes and are quick.Marshall(who you compare dez to) is 2 inches taller....and yes that makes a difference.Nearly impossible to take down in the open field??? I have yet to see a play that tells me he has great YAC ability. Just because he has a high BMI, doesn't mean that translates to breaking tackles like TO.

Exactly. A look back at the top 10 WRs of 2009. 1. Andre Johnson2. Randy Moss3. Wes Welker4. Reggie Wayne5. Miles Austin6. Larry Fitzgerald7. Brandon Marshall8. Steve Smith (NYG)9. Roddy White10. Sidney RiceThere are only a couple guys here with elite speed (AJ and Moss). There are a few guys that make their money with short area quickness (Welker, Austin, SS). I think Dez projects the closest in skill set to Marshall (big, strong, nearly impossible to take down in the open field). I don't know why we think guys need to be burners to be elite. By most people's accounts Brandon Marshall is a Top 5 WR. He does not have elite speed. Far from it. So, why does a player like Marshall not need top notch speed to be elite, but Dez cannot be elite because he doesn't have it? Seems to be contradictory to me. And, you can play the headcase card with Dez, but I'm fairly certain Brandon Marshall can either match him or one up him in that department.
Who says you need elite speed? All of the players above run great routes and are quick.Marshall(who you compare dez to) is 3 inches taller....and yes that makes a difference.Nearly impossible to take down in the open field??? I have yet to see a play that tells me he has great YAC ability. Just because he has a high BMI, doesn't mean that translates to breaking tackles like TO.
I didn't say you need it. There seems to be a misconception that you must have it to be an elite WR. I refer to it as the "Calvin Johnson Syndrome". Considering Calvin's ridiculous can't miss talent and off the charts measurables, it seems that we are all a bit jaded. Our #1 ranked rookie WR goes under the microscope and we find every way to nitpick his game. We did the same thing with Crabtree last year. Now we're on to the next guy. Next year it'll be AJ Green. We are always going to come away disappointed with the top rookie WR if we continually expect him to be elite in every facet. Calvin was a once in a lifetime talent and I think, whether we realize it or not, we are in a way measuring Dez up to that. Just my 2 cents.Marshall is taller, yes. How much of a difference that will make....we don't know yet.Yes, IMO, he's nearly impossible to tackle when in the open field. He wasn't OSUs punt returner because he went down on arm tackles. His vision, fluidity, and open field running are elite with the ball in his hands.

Who says you need elite speed? All of the players above run great routes and are quick.Marshall(who you compare dez to) is 3 inches taller....and yes that makes a difference.Nearly impossible to take down in the open field??? I have yet to see a play that tells me he has great YAC ability. Just because he has a high BMI, doesn't mean that translates to breaking tackles like TO.
I didn't say you need it. There seems to be a misconception that you must have it to be an elite WR. I refer to it as the "Calvin Johnson Syndrome". Considering Calvin's ridiculous can't miss talent and off the charts measurables, it seems that we are all a bit jaded. Our #1 ranked rookie WR goes under the microscope and we find every way to nitpick his game. We did the same thing with Crabtree last year. Now we're on to the next guy. Next year it'll be AJ Green. We are always going to come away disappointed with the top rookie WR if we continually expect him to be elite in every facet. Calvin was a once in a lifetime talent and I think, whether we realize it or not, we are in a way measuring Dez up to that. Just my 2 cents.Marshall is taller, yes. How much of a difference that will make....we don't know yet.Yes, IMO, he's nearly impossible to tackle when in the open field. He wasn't OSUs punt returner because he went down on arm tackles. His vision, fluidity, and open field running are elite with the ball in his hands.
I think most people know that Calvin is overrated at this point(FF circles). But I see your point here, about putting the #1 guy under the microscope. I am just trying to figure out if Bryant is getting hyped simply b/c of the lack of other elite WR's in this class or he is that good.Impossible to tackle in the open field makes me think he scores on short passes and turns them into TD's frequently. I have seen him break arm tackles, etc but nothing that tells me elite(which makes me think he will be one of the best in the NFL at this). I think Brandon Marshall is unbelievable after the catch and think Dez can't touch him on that level of YAC.My concern is more of the dedication, lazy route running, heart. Dez has great hands and can get jump balls. But can he do all of the other little things to become a great NFL WR???

I think most people know that Calvin is overrated at this point(FF circles). But I see your point here, about putting the #1 guy under the microscope. I am just trying to figure out if Bryant is getting hyped simply b/c of the lack of other elite WR's in this class or he is that good.Impossible to tackle in the open field makes me think he scores on short passes and turns them into TD's frequently. I have seen him break arm tackles, etc but nothing that tells me elite(which makes me think he will be one of the best in the NFL at this). I think Brandon Marshall is unbelievable after the catch and think Dez can't touch him on that level of YAC.My concern is more of the dedication, lazy route running, heart. Dez has great hands and can get jump balls. But can he do all of the other little things to become a great NFL WR???
87 / 1480 / 19 TD.....in arguably the toughest conference in CF in 2008 says he's not just getting hyped.If he played all of 2009, I don't even think we are having this conversation. I will say that all of these reports on his laziness are disappointing, but he did sit out nearly a year from football and still came out and posted a 4.52 40. He can't be THAT lazy. I'm not saying he's on Marshall's level in terms of YAC ability.....but his skills certainly project comparably to Marshall's across the board IMO. So, if we're worried about his measurables, we clearly shouldn't be. He is physically gifted enough to be an elite guy.I'm with you though. The only thing that can possibly keep him from realizing his potential will be the mental stuff....which is sometimes more important.As an aside....when is the last year we looked at the rookies and considered more than one guy elite? When is the last time we had a debate on who the #1 rookie WR was? From memory, it seems to be every year that there is a consensus #1 guy.

87 / 1480 / 19 TD.....in arguably the toughest conference in CF in 2008 says he's not just getting hyped.If he played all of 2009, I don't even think we are having this conversation. I will say that all of these reports on his laziness are disappointing, but he did sit out nearly a year from football and still came out and posted a 4.52 40. He can't be THAT lazy. I'm not saying he's on Marshall's level in terms of YAC ability.....but his skills certainly project comparably to Marshall's across the board IMO. So, if we're worried about his measurables, we clearly shouldn't be. He is physically gifted enough to be an elite guy.I'm with you though. The only thing that can possibly keep him from realizing his potential will be the mental stuff....which is sometimes more important.As an aside....when is the last year we looked at the rookies and considered more than one guy elite? When is the last time we had a debate on who the #1 rookie WR was? From memory, it seems to be every year that there is a consensus #1 guy.
I overall think we are pretty close on him. As far as the other Wr's and them being elite....I was meaning more of the gap between WR1 and WR2(to clearify)...I just think with Thomas being raw and Benn disappointing, etc etc....it could make Bryant look that much more impressive.Bryant is a great athlete....but if he thinks it will just happen for him and not put that hard work into it....he could easily flop.

Users who are viewing this thread