What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it safe to start Grossman again? (1 Viewer)

Harry Beanbag

Sausage King of Chicago
So Grossman goes 13-of-23 passing for 200 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. Is he back from his mini-slump and can be counted on this week? His match-up with Tampa is quite interesting seeing how they are playing at home and Tampa just seems to be stumbling towards the end of the season to get it over with.

This is not a cleverly disguised WDIS thread. Did you see enough on Monday Night to trust Rex again or do you still need to see one more game?

So Grossman goes 13-of-23 passing for 200 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. Is he back from his mini-slump and can be counted on this week? His match-up with Tampa is quite interesting seeing how they are playing at home and Tampa just seems to be stumbling towards the end of the season to get it over with. This is not a cleverly disguised WDIS thread. Did you see enough on Monday Night to trust Rex again or do you still need to see one more game?
I only saw a little bit of the game but the St. Louis defense will never be confused with the Ravens. Still, Grossman plays TB and DET in week 15 & 16 and so he is going up against some bad teams. The funny thing is that the Bears weak schedule down the stretch might actually come back to bite them. If they had tougher opponents they would get a better idea of where Grossman is at. The way it is, Grossman should breeze through the remainder of the regular season and the Bears might be in for a rude awakening in the postseason.On the other hand the weak schedule might restore Grossman's confidence so who the heck knows. As far as fantasy goes, you couldn't ask for a sweeter schedule than what Grossman has.

Last edited by a moderator:
We saw Grossman bounce back from the ARI game, only to tank against the bottom half pass Ds of the Jets, Pats and Bears.

I personally would cut him, just so i wouldnt be tempted to play him again

Tampa is still a tough D and weather could play a role this week in Chicago, so I wouldn't be brazen enough to start him over a more proven QB, or even a hot rook/newcomer like Romo, Young, or Leinart. After that, Chicago will have home field all but clinched.

I wouldn't count on Grossman to be a starting fantasy QB for the stretch run.

So Grossman goes 13-of-23 passing for 200 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. Is he back from his mini-slump and can be counted on this week? His match-up with Tampa is quite interesting seeing how they are playing at home and Tampa just seems to be stumbling towards the end of the season to get it over with. This is not a cleverly disguised WDIS thread. Did you see enough on Monday Night to trust Rex again or do you still need to see one more game?
I only saw a little bit of the game but the St. Louis defense will never be confused with the Ravens. Still, Grossman plays TB and DET in week 15 & 16 and so he is going up against some bad teams. The funny thing is that the Bears weak schedule down the stretch might actually come back to bite them. If they had tougher opponents they would get a better idea of where Grossman is at. The way it is, Grossman should breeze through the remainder of the regular season and the Bears might be in for a rude awakening in the postseason.On the other hand the weak schedule might restore Grossman's confidence so who the heck knows. As far as fantasy goes, you couldn't ask for a sweeter schedule than what Grossman has.
:goodposting: I totally agree. Grossman's problem isn't passing the ball it's when he gets pressured. He has little pocket presence and tends to chuck the ball up for grabs. He likely won't be pressured a bunch by these mediocre defenses. The playoffs will be a different story. As far as a starter down the stretch, he'll probably be a decent option.

Tampa is still a tough D ...
They are? Tampa has given up 23 passing TDs and has only intercepted 7. Further, they only have 17 sacks, fewest in the NFL except for Washington. At best they are an average defense.
The D has been terrific at times, single-handedly beating Philly, and holding the likes of Drew Brees (once), Carson Palmer, and Michael Vick in check. It's true that they have struggled getting sacks, but some of that is because they are behind so often. I don't want to turn into a TB apologist, but I do feel strongly that they are not a cupcake D and the type that can give Grossman some trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are? Tampa has given up 23 passing TDs and has only intercepted 7. Further, they only have 17 sacks, fewest in the NFL except for Washington. At best they are an average defense.
The D has been terrific at times, single-handedly beating Philly, and holding the likes of Drew Brees (once), Carson Palmer, and Michael Vick in check. It's true that they have struggled getting sacks, but some of that is because they are behind so often. I don't want to turn into a TB apologist, but I do feel strongly that they are not a cupcake D and the type that can give Grossman some trouble.
They have looked pretty bad to me. I am sure it is partially due to the bad offense but I don't see that turning around, especially against the Bears defense. If I were Lovie and I saw Grossman struggling against the Bucs I would be very worried.

They have looked pretty bad to me. I am sure it is partially due to the bad offense but I don't see that turning around, especially against the Bears defense. If I were Lovie and I saw Grossman struggling against the Bucs I would be very worried.
Arizona, Jets, Pats aren't exactly a murderer's row of pass defenses, as was pointed out earlier in the thread. If I were Lovie, I would already be worried.

Fantasy QBs are averaging 19.85 fantasy pts vs TB this season, 3rd worst per game average (19.72 for last 6 weeks too). WCOFF scoring...

Yeah I'm trying to decide if I can start him this week based on Monday. Unfortunately my other option is Cutler. I am interested in more opinions on the Tampa defense because on paper they look like a pretty good match up for him, especially at home.

Yeah I'm trying to decide if I can start him this week based on Monday. Unfortunately my other option is Cutler. I am interested in more opinions on the Tampa defense because on paper they look like a pretty good match up for him, especially at home.
Indeed. Are there any new injury concerns on TB Def? CHI off? I think this play may be the boom or bust pick of any week...being it's playoffs for tons out there, myself included, the info obtained here may mean a championship or not....keeping an eye on this thread.. :blackdot:

It's not like it would be a shocker if he has a great game, by my count I see three studly games, three #1 QB worthy games, 2 average games, and three horrible games on his gamelog. He is an excellent start this weekend, imo.

I am wrestling with Grossman, Garcia vs the Giants and Kitna in Green Bay. None of those option make me giddy at all. The reasonh I started this thread was to get an gauge on if someone out there saw more (good or bad) from what he did to the Rams.

He is nt back from his mini slump he is a bad QB , 200 yds and 2 TDs agains the worthless Ram defense is not coming out of a slump .

If he had thrown for 300 yds and looked good , but he looked bad in his 200yds 2 Tds effort.

I would say he is a start strictly against bad defenses not even agains averaged defenses.

I'm going to stick with one of the other 1st year wonders, who's stock has also dropped a bit, and that is Tony Romo.

I think that Romo and the Boyz should looking to bounce back after the Saints fiasco.

While I agree Grossman could be back to his early season form, he is still a high risk proposition for a fantasy playoff game.

I'm opting for Romo over Rex for Week 15

Users who are viewing this thread