What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Matt Jones (1 Viewer)

phillzphan

Footballguy
Matt Jones is obviously a very gifted athlete who is supposedly taking over the #1 spot. He also has a body and knack to get in the endzone.

His coach recently has told him to study Moss videos....Is Matt Jones the next moss?

the questions i would ask would be:

-Is he definitely the number 1

-Is he transitioning well to the new position?

-Will JAX be good oppurtunity -- regardless of #1 or not.

Yes, now be quiet about it and don't tell anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, now be quiet about it and don't tell anyone else.
Seconded! I don't think he's the next Moss. That's a bit of a stretch. But he is a guy who has a great chance of a 1,000 yard season as well as alot of redzone opportunities.

To answer the questions:

1) yes he is the #1

2) yes he is transitioning well, but he still has a lot of work to do

3) Jax is not a particularly good situation for him this year because they are not a big passing team. Will this change as Leftwich matures - maybe. But that is not certain as of this date.

All he needs now is to learn to catch like Moss and run nothing but 9-routes.

Matt Jones is obviously a very gifted athlete who is supposedly taking over the #1 spot. He also has a body and knack to get in the endzone.

His coach recently has told him to study Moss videos....Is Matt Jones the next moss?

He is going to be good, but I don't think a comparison to Moss is apropriate. Moss was so gifted physically he won rookie of the year on athletic ability alone.

Matt Jones doesn't have CPep lobbing bombs to him every other play - he plays in a structured WCO.

He could certainly be similar numbers to a Tim Brown in the future though -> top 20 type of numbers.

:lmao: If you aren't sure if he's the #1 wr I doubt he's the next Moss.Lets see him get 1000 yards before we put him in the HOF. Studying Moss and being Moss are two different things IMO.

Matt Jones doesn't have CPep lobbing bombs to him every other play - he plays in a structured WCO.

He could certainly be similar numbers to a Tim Brown in the future though -> top 20 type of numbers.
I dont think so. Has Carl Smith been replaced as the OC?

Ummm, NO!

Jones:

Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2005 jax |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5
Moss:
Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1998 min |  16 |     1      4    4.0    0 |    69   1313  19.0   17 || 1999 min |  16 |     4     43   10.8    0 |    80   1413  17.7   11 || 2000 min |  16 |     3      5    1.7    0 |    77   1437  18.7   15 || 2001 min |  16 |     3     38   12.7    0 |    82   1233  15.0   10 || 2002 min |  16 |     6     51    8.5    0 |   106   1347  12.7    7 || 2003 min |  16 |     6     18    3.0    0 |   111   1632  14.7   17 || 2004 min |  13 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    49    767  15.7   13 || 2005 oak |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    60   1005  16.8    8 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 125 |    23    159    6.9    0 |   634  10147  16.0   98 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
When Jones manages to completly change the ways Ds play, get double and triple teamed and still put up numbers like this let me know.... BTW, Moss did it in his rookie year.

I dont think so. Has Carl Smith been replaced as the OC?
No, Carl Smith hasn't been replaced. You are correct- the Jags offense isn't a WCO.

The guy may not even be the #1 WR for his own team. Going a little overboard to call him the next Moss?
Wasn't Moss the #3 going into his rookie year and then it wasn't sure whether he was the #1 or #2 going into his 2nd year? Sounds pretty similar to me.

The guy may not even be the #1 WR for his own team. Going a little overboard to call him the next Moss?
Wasn't Moss the #3 going into his rookie year and then it wasn't sure whether he was the #1 or #2 going into his 2nd year? Sounds pretty similar to me.
Oh I didn't realize this was Jones' rookie year.

He's not half the athlete that Moss is
Define athlete for us.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
Im as big of a Moss fan as anyone, but we are saying that Moss has better "Natural" talent than Jones? :no: Moss is much more skilled at football, but Jones is the better athlete, and its not that close.

Oh I didn't realize this was Jones' rookie year.
:rolleyes:

Does he have the experience at WR of Moss? NO

Does he have sick speed, sick leg movement, and is he extremely tall with giant strides like Moss? YES

Will he produce like Randy Moss in 2006? NO

He just lacks the experience, but make no mistake, his body just might be BETTER than Moss's when it comes to weight/speed ratio (Both ran in the 4.3s, but Matt is 6'6" 235 whereas Moss is 6'4" 197; numbers taken from pro-football-reference.com)

In terms of speed and size? Open field moves? Probably so. Jones is certainly a rare athlete.

But there is the problem withy every Moss comparison. Every year we hear of receivers of "Moss-like" abilities and I have to laugh. Invariably, they all have a FEW of his athletic trademarks. But nobody combines all of them.

Moss is truly freakish. His leaping ability, long arms, total coordination (see how many times he makes one handed or impossible grabs, or how effortlessly he gets his feet inbounds on the sideline or back of the endzone...that's stuff you see where you just know the game goes in slow motion for him), just a flat out ability to outrun, outjump, outquick...just flat out BEAT his defender whether he's 'posting up' in the endzone like a bball player or just running by everyone....NOBODY in the history of football has had this kind of natural ability. Not Owens. Not even Rice.

Matt Jones in time may prove the Moss backers wrong....and I think he may well become a hellava football player. But I'm not sure we'll ever see a guy exactly like Moss again...or at least not for a long time. Jones has a lonnnnng way to go.

Ummm, NO!

Jones:

Code:
          +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2005 jax |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5
Moss:
Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1998 min |  16 |     1      4    4.0    0 |    69   1313  19.0   17 || 1999 min |  16 |     4     43   10.8    0 |    80   1413  17.7   11 || 2000 min |  16 |     3      5    1.7    0 |    77   1437  18.7   15 || 2001 min |  16 |     3     38   12.7    0 |    82   1233  15.0   10 || 2002 min |  16 |     6     51    8.5    0 |   106   1347  12.7    7 || 2003 min |  16 |     6     18    3.0    0 |   111   1632  14.7   17 || 2004 min |  13 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    49    767  15.7   13 || 2005 oak |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    60   1005  16.8    8 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 125 |    23    159    6.9    0 |   634  10147  16.0   98 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
When Jones manages to completly change the ways Ds play, get double and triple teamed and still put up numbers like this let me know.... BTW, Moss did it in his rookie year.
Amen to that. Jones might turn out to be good, but he's not even in the same ballpark as Moss in production or potential...

i own jones in a legacy league. but comparing hhim to Moss or even Larry Fitzgerald would be crazy talk

Let me see him put up some Keenan mcardell numbers then we can graduate to Moss territory!!

:hey:

Ummm, NO!

Jones:

Code:
          +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2005 jax |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   |  16 |    12     51    4.2    0 |    36    432  12.0    5
Moss:
Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1998 min |  16 |     1      4    4.0    0 |    69   1313  19.0   17 || 1999 min |  16 |     4     43   10.8    0 |    80   1413  17.7   11 || 2000 min |  16 |     3      5    1.7    0 |    77   1437  18.7   15 || 2001 min |  16 |     3     38   12.7    0 |    82   1233  15.0   10 || 2002 min |  16 |     6     51    8.5    0 |   106   1347  12.7    7 || 2003 min |  16 |     6     18    3.0    0 |   111   1632  14.7   17 || 2004 min |  13 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    49    767  15.7   13 || 2005 oak |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    60   1005  16.8    8 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 125 |    23    159    6.9    0 |   634  10147  16.0   98 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
Amen to that. Jones might turn out to be good, but he's not even in the same ballpark as Moss in production or potential...

In terms of speed and size? Open field moves? Probably so. Jones is certainly a rare athlete.

But there is the problem withy every Moss comparison. Every year we hear of receivers of "Moss-like" abilities and I have to laugh. Invariably, they all have a FEW of his athletic trademarks. But nobody combines all of them.

Moss is truly freakish. His leaping ability, long arms, total coordination (see how many times he makes one handed or impossible grabs, or how effortlessly he gets his feet inbounds on the sideline or back of the endzone...that's stuff you see where you just know the game goes in slow motion for him), just a flat out ability to outrun, outjump, outquick...just flat out BEAT his defender whether he's 'posting up' in the endzone like a bball player or just running by everyone....NOBODY in the history of football has had this kind of natural ability. Not Owens. Not even Rice.

Matt Jones in time may prove the Moss backers wrong....and I think he may well become a hellava football player. But I'm not sure we'll ever see a guy exactly like Moss again...or at least not for a long time. Jones has a lonnnnng way to go.
Some good points here. I see inadequate comparisons like this on the golf course all the time. So Tiger Woods hits his 8-iron 159 yards every time and my friend just so happens to finally get everything out of his 8-iron and drives the ball 155 yards. Sure he hit that one ball like Tiger Woods and some may even say my friend showed Tiger Woods like ability, but to say my friend is the next Tiger Woods would be ridiculous.

Rotoworld.com

Mike Mayock retold the story of former first-round flop Matt Jones' Senior Bowl week in 2005 during this week's NFL Network coverage in Mobile, insisting Jones' practice habits "screamed buyer beware."During a relatively slow week for NFL news, we found this story relevant as the Senior Bowl winds down. "I gotta be honest with ya," Mayock said. "I was on the field that year and I followed him from drill to drill the entire week, because there was such a buzz about him. He was last in every line. He didn't seem like he cared a whole lot. ... To me, it was like buyer beware. It screamed buyer beware. And unfortunately for the Jags, they bought it." Jones retired from football after failing to make the Bengals in 2010.

Rotoworld.com

Mike Mayock retold the story of former first-round flop Matt Jones' Senior Bowl week in 2005 during this week's NFL Network coverage in Mobile, insisting Jones' practice habits "screamed buyer beware."During a relatively slow week for NFL news, we found this story relevant as the Senior Bowl winds down. "I gotta be honest with ya," Mayock said. "I was on the field that year and I followed him from drill to drill the entire week, because there was such a buzz about him. He was last in every line. He didn't seem like he cared a whole lot. ... To me, it was like buyer beware. It screamed buyer beware. And unfortunately for the Jags, they bought it." Jones retired from football after failing to make the Bengals in 2010.
I love it when someone pulls a thread from the past because it's always a cautionary tale that sometimes we are way wrong. Hubris has not place in fantasy football talent scouting.

Why the H### bump six year old threads. If you want to make a point on what to look for in hyped athletes, make a new thread if there isn't one already

Why the H### bump six year old threads. If you want to make a point on what to look for in hyped athletes, make a new thread if there isn't one already
That's true there are more recent examples of the overhyped who underperformed. But this one is pretty good...

why is making a new thread better? there is already content we can look back on in this one

Users who are viewing this thread