What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is parity really good for the NFL? (1 Viewer)

If the 49ers had a real quarterback since 2011, they would have won the last two super bowls and have HFA this year, too. Without question they have the most talent except at QB where they have been below average at best. If Peyton Manning had gone there last year, they cruise to a super victory and could be 16-0 this season.

So really what is going on is the best team sucks at QB, which is a lucky break to the rest of the NFL because there are a lot of good QBs out there, and causing the illusion of parity.

ROCKET said:
Thunderlips said:
ROCKET said:
NFL parity is generally a good thing; although the league needs a couple of Dynasty style teams to create stories/rivalries etc.etc. Where I think the NFL is hurting is in this changing of the rules so much towards offense and the passing game that it could make a certain number of teams irrelevant in any given season just because they don't have a big time QB....

Baseball has it over football in the sense that there's more than one way to win a Division/Conference/Championship. The evolution of the NFL is making it harder to win with just a powerhouse running game or stalwart D.....or even maybe a combination of the two. I'd hate to see the NFL reach NBA status; where you ABSOLUTELY NEED a stud at the QB position to have a legit shot at the championship.
I see your point, it is the only sport where you can outspend your opponents to acquire talent which gives teams another way of winning a title.
It's pretty much the only sport that has an extensive draft and minor league system that gives teams another way of winning a title as well.
It's far from the only sport that gives a team the ability to build thru the draft. The importance of draft position in the NBA far outweighs MLB. The difference in MLB is even if a small market team manages to draft a stud player they won't be able to keep them long term as they don't have the ability to resign them. They will have a two or three year window at best if all the stars align for them and then they will be bottom dwellers for the next decade or two. Meanwhile the big market teams will always be in the hunt as they have the ability to replace talent at will.

The arguement isn't if a small market team can compete for a short period if they hit on some draft picks and a few cheap free agents, they can. The problem is teams with 4/5/6/7? times the payroll have a huge advantage, will be perrenial contenders decade after decade and don't have to be so shrewd or fortunate. The system at it's core is a joke and a floor/cap are the only soultion for long term parity. Tell me there isn't a correlation with long term success and the ability to spend money. How many times in the last twenty years has the top spending team (NYY) made the playoffs and how many times has the lowest payroll team made it? Case closed.
No other sports draft or minor league system is as extensive as MLBs. It's a system that enables teams not wanting to spend money on higher profile FA's to compete. Teams like the A's, the Marlins and the Rays continually work that system to their advantage. Draft well, bring a player along in their minor league system until they are ready....bring them up at the right time to maximize their MLB contract, let them play a few years and then either extend their contract (usually before they're able to reach FA as a cost control means) or let them walk...thus getting more draft picks and perpetuating their system.

Cracking down on steroids has reduced the effectiveness of signing a Free Agent to long term deals as now...a player peaks in his early 30s and is pretty much finished by their late 30s. You bring up the Yankees as if their doling out big money to A-Rod, Texiera and Sabathia was a good thing. Take a look at them in a couple of years (or now as I'm sure a lot of MLB fans would say) and tell me if the 80 million those three guys are getting is worth it. The idea of throwing money against the wall and seeing if it sticks hasn't been working lately as the level of talent to throw money at is slowing down...

A lot of that being because more and more smaller market teams are getting money from the bigger market teams either directly (luxury tax) or indirectly(increase in national broadcasting contracts AND the implementation of regional sports newtorks). Now....it's more possible than ever for a team to keep their most important homegrown talent for more or less the entire length of their productive and prime years. 10 years ago, the Pirates probably don't get to extend Andrew McCutchen thru age 31. Now they can. I know some (maybe yourself) will complain if/when the Yankees sign McCutchen to a 10 year 350 million dollar deal when he becomes a free agent at 32......but believe me, that ain't a good thing. The MLB field is more level than those who critique it will give credit. Most teams choose to not spend money; at times not even re-investing the luxury tax they receive to help them be competitive back into the team.

ROCKET said:
Thunderlips said:
ROCKET said:
NFL parity is generally a good thing; although the league needs a couple of Dynasty style teams to create stories/rivalries etc.etc. Where I think the NFL is hurting is in this changing of the rules so much towards offense and the passing game that it could make a certain number of teams irrelevant in any given season just because they don't have a big time QB....

Baseball has it over football in the sense that there's more than one way to win a Division/Conference/Championship. The evolution of the NFL is making it harder to win with just a powerhouse running game or stalwart D.....or even maybe a combination of the two. I'd hate to see the NFL reach NBA status; where you ABSOLUTELY NEED a stud at the QB position to have a legit shot at the championship.
I see your point, it is the only sport where you can outspend your opponents to acquire talent which gives teams another way of winning a title.
It's pretty much the only sport that has an extensive draft and minor league system that gives teams another way of winning a title as well.
It's far from the only sport that gives a team the ability to build thru the draft. The importance of draft position in the NBA far outweighs MLB. The difference in MLB is even if a small market team manages to draft a stud player they won't be able to keep them long term as they don't have the ability to resign them. They will have a two or three year window at best if all the stars align for them and then they will be bottom dwellers for the next decade or two. Meanwhile the big market teams will always be in the hunt as they have the ability to replace talent at will.

The arguement isn't if a small market team can compete for a short period if they hit on some draft picks and a few cheap free agents, they can. The problem is teams with 4/5/6/7? times the payroll have a huge advantage, will be perrenial contenders decade after decade and don't have to be so shrewd or fortunate. The system at it's core is a joke and a floor/cap are the only soultion for long term parity. Tell me there isn't a correlation with long term success and the ability to spend money. How many times in the last twenty years has the top spending team (NYY) made the playoffs and how many times has the lowest payroll team made it? Case closed.
No other sports draft or minor league system is as extensive as MLBs. It's a system that enables teams not wanting to spend money on higher profile FA's to compete. Teams like the A's, the Marlins and the Rays continually work that system to their advantage. Draft well, bring a player along in their minor league system until they are ready....bring them up at the right time to maximize their MLB contract, let them play a few years and then either extend their contract (usually before they're able to reach FA as a cost control means) or let them walk...thus getting more draft picks and perpetuating their system.

Cracking down on steroids has reduced the effectiveness of signing a Free Agent to long term deals as now...a player peaks in his early 30s and is pretty much finished by their late 30s. You bring up the Yankees as if their doling out big money to A-Rod, Texiera and Sabathia was a good thing. Take a look at them in a couple of years (or now as I'm sure a lot of MLB fans would say) and tell me if the 80 million those three guys are getting is worth it. The idea of throwing money against the wall and seeing if it sticks hasn't been working lately as the level of talent to throw money at is slowing down...

A lot of that being because more and more smaller market teams are getting money from the bigger market teams either directly (luxury tax) or indirectly(increase in national broadcasting contracts AND the implementation of regional sports newtorks). Now....it's more possible than ever for a team to keep their most important homegrown talent for more or less the entire length of their productive and prime years. 10 years ago, the Pirates probably don't get to extend Andrew McCutchen thru age 31. Now they can. I know some (maybe yourself) will complain if/when the Yankees sign McCutchen to a 10 year 350 million dollar deal when he becomes a free agent at 32......but believe me, that ain't a good thing. The MLB field is more level than those who critique it will give credit. Most teams choose to not spend money; at times not even re-investing the luxury tax they receive to help them be competitive back into the team.
You cited one player a team kept. How are they going to keep the same amount of talent with a payroll that isn't even 25% of teams like the Dodgers orNYY. And let me guess, the latest phenom Japanese pitcher Tanaka is going to a big market team as well. Why doesn't a small market team ever get to sign one of those highly touted superstars from overseas? Oh that's right they can't and will have to build from within their farm system with their top draft picks they receive from finishing at the bottom for a decade or so.

If you want to believe the current system is equitable as teams like NY are in the playoffs 95% of the time for the next twenty years then knock yourself out. Why should small market teams have to play by a different set of rules to build a team? Make them spend or eliminate them if there isn't enough revenue to support a team in that city and for the love of God put a reasonable cap on the big market teams so they can compete with them. Did you ever think these small market teams might actually make a lot more revenue if they were on a level playing field and could compete. Are you seriously denying that there wouldn't be more competitiveness with a floor/cap like every other league in the country has?

Baseball was a hell of a lot better back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's before the advent of free agency and huge payrolls ruined it.

ROCKET said:
Thunderlips said:
ROCKET said:

You cited one player a team kept. How are they going to keep the same amount of talent with a payroll that isn't even 25% of teams like the Dodgers orNYY. And let me guess, the latest phenom Japanese pitcher Tanaka is going to a big market team as well. Why doesn't a small market team ever get to sign one of those highly touted superstars from overseas? Oh that's right they can't and will have to build from within their farm system with their top draft picks they receive from finishing at the bottom for a decade or so.

If you want to believe the current system is equitable as teams like NY are in the playoffs 95% of the time for the next twenty years then knock yourself out. Why should small market teams have to play by a different set of rules to build a team? Make them spend or eliminate them if there isn't enough revenue to support a team in that city and for the love of God put a reasonable cap on the big market teams so they can compete with them. Did you ever think these small market teams might actually make a lot more revenue if they were on a level playing field and could compete. Are you seriously denying that there wouldn't be more competitiveness with a floor/cap like every other league in the country has?

Baseball was a hell of a lot better back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's before the advent of free agency and huge payrolls ruined it.
Sure.....I think there should be more of a floor and more restrictive luxury tax......although I'm not going to fault a team who willingly puts more financial resources in building a minor league infrastructure that continually churns out successful younger players instead of continually overpaying for an established free agent. Teams like the Rays went for the old "spend everything" route...and realized that it was smarter and cheaper to develop young talent. I don't think in the end a hard cap is neccessary as it's already been established in this thread that baseball has been competitive in relation to the other leagues with caps. The nature of the sport, the minor leagues, the extent of the draft and guaranteed contracts all act as a buffer against simply buying success. In addition, pretty much every franchise is FINALLY coming around to what initially gave the Yankees such a huge payroll advantage in the early 2000s; that being new television contracts and the establishment of a Regional Sports Network.

I also think that there's this wrong idea that it's only the top couple of teams that can buy whomever they want to. I'd argue that teams willing to spend about 85-90 million can more or less do what they want in regards to payroll; with only extenuating circumstances derailing them. In 2013, that's over half the teams in baseball. You talk about the Yankees.....but the Yankees greatest success came from when they lowered payroll, built a farm system that churned out Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettie and Jorge Posada and made due with cheap veteran talent like Cecil Fielder, Doc Gooden and Chili Davis. The only success they had in the "big payroll" years came in 2009....and in all probablity...they're going to be paying for that Series with overpaid and underachieving teams for the next 5 years.

Most of the teams in the bottom of the MLB payroll scale willingly have gone that low for whatever reasons that may be, with the low teams typically cycling out within a few years as they build their team. The Houston Astros are 80 million lower in their 2013 payroll than their 2009 one. Has Houston all of a sudden become a "small market"? ...or has the team made a concious effort to "reset" and become more fiscally responsible while building towards respectability? The Marlins were 90 million lower from 2013 to 2012!!!

And if we're being honest here......it's not even like the NFL has had legit payroll competitiveness until last year. Go back and look at the spending from year to year. The differences between the haves and the have-nots have flucuated as high as 50/60/70 million from year to year. That's not exactly the idealistic "everyone's the same" situation that NFL supporters and MLB detractors propose.

Damned Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Oakland and Tampa spending their way to the playoffs with their big-market bully tactics.
Yup, I'm sure they will be in the playoffs nearly every year for the next twenty years battling the NYY. The floor/cap in the NFL doesn't permit 50-70 mil $ discrepencies in payroll. It isn't perfect but keeps teams within 20-30 million in revenue which is reasonable.If you guys enjoy a system with the top team spending 230 mil and the bottom team spening 30 mil then that's cool, I don't. And the players would not like it?, of course not as their union has been the downfall of baseball as they have far more leverage than any other sport. Why do you think there was no steroid testing for so long?

I have friends that have dynasty basbeall leagues and I always ask them who has the 230 mil payroll and who has the 30 mil payroll? They tell me every team has the same amount to spend. I say why, can't you build a team thru a farm system? It's not like some teams would have an advantage every year. This is the same silly scenario as real life MLB.

Well I can't wait for the next big announcement that the Yankees or Dodgers signed the next big Japanese pitching phenom. And to think the NYY had a glaring hole in their rotation and like magic it's fixed.You guys enjoy, I'll stick to college baseball, AAU and the LLWS til they come up with a cap and make it interesting again.

ROCKET said:
Thunderlips said:
ROCKET said:

It's far from the only sport that gives a team the ability to build thru the draft. The importance of draft position in the NBA far outweighs MLB. The difference in MLB is even if a small market team manages to draft a stud player they won't be able to keep them long term as they don't have the ability to resign them. They will have a two or three year window at best if all the stars align for them and then they will be bottom dwellers for the next decade or two. Meanwhile the big market teams will always be in the hunt as they have the ability to replace talent at will.The arguement isn't if a small market team can compete for a short period if they hit on some draft picks and a few cheap free agents, they can. The problem is teams with 4/5/6/7? times the payroll have a huge advantage, will be perrenial contenders decade after decade and don't have to be so shrewd or fortunate. The system at it's core is a joke and a floor/cap are the only soultion for long term parity. Tell me there isn't a correlation with long term success and the ability to spend money. How many times in the last twenty years has the top spending team (NYY) made the playoffs and how many times has the lowest payroll team made it? Case closed.

You cited one player a team kept. How are they going to keep the same amount of talent with a payroll that isn't even 25% of teams like the Dodgers orNYY. And let me guess, the latest phenom Japanese pitcher Tanaka is going to a big market team as well. Why doesn't a small market team ever get to sign one of those highly touted superstars from overseas? Oh that's right they can't and will have to build from within their farm system with their top draft picks they receive from finishing at the bottom for a decade or so.If you want to believe the current system is equitable as teams like NY are in the playoffs 95% of the time for the next twenty years then knock yourself out. Why should small market teams have to play by a different set of rules to build a team? Make them spend or eliminate them if there isn't enough revenue to support a team in that city and for the love of God put a reasonable cap on the big market teams so they can compete with them. Did you ever think these small market teams might actually make a lot more revenue if they were on a level playing field and could compete. Are you seriously denying that there wouldn't be more competitiveness with a floor/cap like every other league in the country has?

Sure.....I think there should be more of a floor and more restrictive luxury tax......although I'm not going to fault a team who willingly puts more financial resources in building a minor league infrastructure that continually churns out successful younger players instead of continually overpaying for an established free agent. Teams like the Rays went for the old "spend everything" route...and realized that it was smarter and cheaper to develop young talent. I don't think in the end a hard cap is neccessary as it's already been established in this thread that baseball has been competitive in relation to the other leagues with caps. The nature of the sport, the minor leagues, the extent of the draft and guaranteed contracts all act as a buffer against simply buying success. In addition, pretty much every franchise is FINALLY coming around to what initially gave the Yankees such a huge payroll advantage in the early 2000s; that being new television contracts and the establishment of a Regional Sports Network.

I also think that there's this wrong idea that it's only the top couple of teams that can buy whomever they want to. I'd argue that teams willing to spend about 85-90 million can more or less do what they want in regards to payroll; with only extenuating circumstances derailing them. In 2013, that's over half the teams in baseball. You talk about the Yankees.....but the Yankees greatest success came from when they lowered payroll, built a farm system that churned out Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettie and Jorge Posada and made due with cheap veteran talent like Cecil Fielder, Doc Gooden and Chili Davis. The only success they had in the "big payroll" years came in 2009....and in all probablity...they're going to be paying for that Series with overpaid and underachieving teams for the next 5 years.

Most of the teams in the bottom of the MLB payroll scale willingly have gone that low for whatever reasons that may be, with the low teams typically cycling out within a few years as they build their team. The Houston Astros are 80 million lower in their 2013 payroll than their 2009 one. Has Houston all of a sudden become a "small market"? ...or has the team made a concious effort to "reset" and become more fiscally responsible while building towards respectability? The Marlins were 90 million lower from 2013 to 2012!!!

And if we're being honest here......it's not even like the NFL has had legit payroll competitiveness until last year. Go back and look at the spending from year to year. The differences between the haves and the have-nots have flucuated as high as 50/60/70 million from year to year. That's not exactly the idealistic "everyone's the same" situation that NFL supporters and MLB detractors propose.
1. Only half of the players go through the draft. International players are treated basically as free agents. There is no limit to what teams can spend. For example the cap on what teams can spend 2.5 million on international players this year without triggering the luxury tax. The Yankees are planning on spending 30 million, and then they will probably pay a 20 million posting fee to give that Japanese pitcher a 100 million dollar contract.

2. The Rays didn't get smarter, MLB limited the amount teams could spent on drafted players so they actually got to draft the best players. Before all highest rated players refused to sign contracts with the small market teams, so all of the top talent in the draft went to teams like the Yankees.

3. The Yankees greatest success was the result them being able to buy all the best prospects and free agents. They have never been a low spending team in the free agency era.

4. Lower market teams have only two ways of competing. They can trade their players before they reach free agency and hope the prospects they get back pan out (A's/Rays), or they can build up for one run and have a fire sale before they go broke (Marlins). Neither option brings sustained success.

Damned Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Oakland and Tampa spending their way to the playoffs with their big-market bully tactics.
Yup, I'm sure they will be in the playoffs nearly every year for the next twenty years battling the NYY. The floor/cap in the NFL doesn't permit 50-70 mil $ discrepencies in payroll. It isn't perfect but keeps teams within 20-30 million in revenue which is reasonable.If you guys enjoy a system with the top team spending 230 mil and the bottom team spening 30 mil then that's cool, I don't. And the players would not like it?, of course not as their union has been the downfall of baseball as they have far more leverage than any other sport. Why do you think there was no steroid testing for so long?I have friends that have dynasty basbeall leagues and I always ask them who has the 230 mil payroll and who has the 30 mil payroll? They tell me every team has the same amount to spend. I say why, can't you build a team thru a farm system? It's not like some teams would have an advantage every year. This is the same silly scenario as real life MLB.

Well I can't wait for the next big announcement that the Yankees or Dodgers signed the next big Japanese pitching phenom. And to think the NYY had a glaring hole in their rotation and like magic it's fixed.You guys enjoy, I'll stick to college baseball, AAU and the LLWS til they come up with a cap and make it interesting again.
No one would say having more money to spend isn't an advantage, but I agree with most of what Thunderlips is saying. Baseball has a lot more parity than most people think, and more and more, teams are finding ways to win that don't involve signing expensive free-agents.

As mentioned, the crackdown on steroids combined players contributing earlier and smaller market teams locking players up until their late-20's means big free-agents often end up being terrible investments.

Maybe the money gap isn't perfect, but MLB seems to achieve an acceptable level of parity in spite it.

A key factor, I think, is the importance of good young pitching. It's awfully hard, and damn near impossible, to spend your way into that. You need to draft well and develop it.

While there are some really dirt poor teams, it's not as many as most think. 90% of the teams have the ability to regularly spend $70+ mill and over half the teams can regularly spend over $100 mill. If you can spend $80-100 mill and consistently develop young talent, you've got a shot.

The difference between $100 mill and $150+ mill is an awful lot, but generally, the way teams end up with over $150 mill in salaries is by drastically overpaying some players.

ROCKET said:
Thunderlips said:
ROCKET said:

It's far from the only sport that gives a team the ability to build thru the draft. The importance of draft position in the NBA far outweighs MLB. The difference in MLB is even if a small market team manages to draft a stud player they won't be able to keep them long term as they don't have the ability to resign them. They will have a two or three year window at best if all the stars align for them and then they will be bottom dwellers for the next decade or two. Meanwhile the big market teams will always be in the hunt as they have the ability to replace talent at will.The arguement isn't if a small market team can compete for a short period if they hit on some draft picks and a few cheap free agents, they can. The problem is teams with 4/5/6/7? times the payroll have a huge advantage, will be perrenial contenders decade after decade and don't have to be so shrewd or fortunate. The system at it's core is a joke and a floor/cap are the only soultion for long term parity. Tell me there isn't a correlation with long term success and the ability to spend money. How many times in the last twenty years has the top spending team (NYY) made the playoffs and how many times has the lowest payroll team made it? Case closed.

You cited one player a team kept. How are they going to keep the same amount of talent with a payroll that isn't even 25% of teams like the Dodgers orNYY. And let me guess, the latest phenom Japanese pitcher Tanaka is going to a big market team as well. Why doesn't a small market team ever get to sign one of those highly touted superstars from overseas? Oh that's right they can't and will have to build from within their farm system with their top draft picks they receive from finishing at the bottom for a decade or so.If you want to believe the current system is equitable as teams like NY are in the playoffs 95% of the time for the next twenty years then knock yourself out. Why should small market teams have to play by a different set of rules to build a team? Make them spend or eliminate them if there isn't enough revenue to support a team in that city and for the love of God put a reasonable cap on the big market teams so they can compete with them. Did you ever think these small market teams might actually make a lot more revenue if they were on a level playing field and could compete. Are you seriously denying that there wouldn't be more competitiveness with a floor/cap like every other league in the country has?

1. Only half of the players go through the draft. International players are treated basically as free agents. There is no limit to what teams can spend. For example the cap on what teams can spend 2.5 million on international players this year without triggering the luxury tax. The Yankees are planning on spending 30 million, and then they will probably pay a 20 million posting fee to give that Japanese pitcher a 100 million dollar contract.

2. The Rays didn't get smarter, MLB limited the amount teams could spent on drafted players so they actually got to draft the best players. Before all highest rated players refused to sign contracts with the small market teams, so all of the top talent in the draft went to teams like the Yankees.

3. The Yankees greatest success was the result them being able to buy all the best prospects and free agents. They have never been a low spending team in the free agency era.

4. Lower market teams have only two ways of competing. They can trade their players before they reach free agency and hope the prospects they get back pan out (A's/Rays), or they can build up for one run and have a fire sale before they go broke (Marlins). Neither option brings sustained success.
I think it's very difficult to have an example-based argument that spans across various sports, which are very different from one another. There are plenty of examples across various sports that "prove" rich teams can beat poor teams and vice versa.

What I don't like about parity is the degree to which "off the field" factors foster it. Parity that results from teams more or less equally scouting, drafting, developing, coaching and performing on the field is great. Parity that pulls franchises back down into the pack through things like a salary cap are not.

Currently in sports, you can do everything right (or at least better than your peers) and you will eventually be "punished" for your success - because you can't afford to keep together the team you have built. I'm not sure you can avoid that but that's what's wrong with the model in my mind.

Parity implies an aspect of randomness. Human beings are horrible when it comes to recognizing and understanding randomness. We like symmetry.

Yup, I'm sure they will be in the playoffs nearly every year for the next twenty years battling the NYY. The floor/cap in the NFL doesn't permit 50-70 mil $ discrepencies in payroll. It isn't perfect but keeps teams within 20-30 million in revenue which is reasonable.If you guys enjoy a system with the top team spending 230 mil and the bottom team spening 30 mil then that's cool, I don't. And the players would not like it?, of course not as their union has been the downfall of baseball as they have far more leverage than any other sport. Why do you think there was no steroid testing for so long?I have friends that have dynasty basbeall leagues and I always ask them who has the 230 mil payroll and who has the 30 mil payroll? They tell me every team has the same amount to spend. I say why, can't you build a team thru a farm system? It's not like some teams would have an advantage every year. This is the same silly scenario as real life MLB.

No one would say having more money to spend isn't an advantage, but I agree with most of what Thunderlips is saying. Baseball has a lot more parity than most people think, and more and more, teams are finding ways to win that don't involve signing expensive free-agents.

As mentioned, the crackdown on steroids combined players contributing earlier and smaller market teams locking players up until their late-20's means big free-agents often end up being terrible investments.

Maybe the money gap isn't perfect, but MLB seems to achieve an acceptable level of parity in spite it.

A key factor, I think, is the importance of good young pitching. It's awfully hard, and damn near impossible, to spend your way into that. You need to draft well and develop it.

While there are some really dirt poor teams, it's not as many as most think. 90% of the teams have the ability to regularly spend $70+ mill and over half the teams can regularly spend over $100 mill. If you can spend $80-100 mill and consistently develop young talent, you've got a shot.

The difference between $100 mill and $150+ mill is an awful lot, but generally, the way teams end up with over $150 mill in salaries is by drastically overpaying some players.
Or you could just outspend the other teams and buy it from over seas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread