What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Ray Rice an RB1 in PPR? (1 Viewer)

Id say absolutely. He is #6 in my PPR league for RBs, 3rd in receptions and 1st in receiveing yards for RBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Rice is top 5 PPR and non-PPR for the next couple of years.

He is currently 4th in my league. The other current top 10 PPR RBs who I expect to stay there would be Gore, Peterson and Benson. All the rest have a very good shot at falling outside of the top 10 by the time the season is over to make room for Forte, Pierre Thomas and Ahmad Bradshaw.

Rice may end up as the number one back in PPR once he starts scoring with more regularity.

In my league he is the fifth highest RB and the 17th highest player overall. He is clearly an RB1. Question is will this continue and I don't see any reason to think it won't. He does everything well and is clearly the featured guy in a powerful run offense. McGahee will vulture TDs but that won't stop him from being a RB1. People who drafted him in the fifth or fourth rounds are getting good value.

I traded him straight up for Justin Durant in a IDP tackle-heavy league. VERY happy with that trade right now...

RB1 for sure in 10+ leagues, probably even in 8 mans.

#6 and rising in my league. If and when McGahee gets phased out of the offense, Rice will be even better. McGahee has 38 carries/199 yards/5 TD's, and 8 Rec/58 yards/2 TD's. If you take half of McGahee's stats away and tack those on to Rice's production so far, that's a nice bump. Rice dynasty owners have to be smiling right now.

Operation PHASE OUT MCGAHEE may already be underway:

Click Here

As a Rice owner, it's hard to argue with the numbers (he's the No. 6 RB in my PPR league). But I'll feel a little more comfortable if he starts getting more red-zone touches.

I'll really :blackdot: when I start seeing him used more regularly on the goal-line instead of McGahee.

I'll really :blackdot: when I start seeing him used more regularly on the goal-line instead of McGahee.
Same here.I believe he's top 10 from here on out, but would feel better about top 5 if here were getting more goal line work.

Click Here
I don't see how that video says they're phasing out McGahee. He said something to the effect of "We're gonna play all our guys."
If you scroll down and read the actual column underneath the video player you will see the feature on it.
The article is just McGahee himself questioning why he wasn't used. He says "You'll have to talk to Cam Cameron". No coach was quoted in the article at all.As mentioned in a previous thread, Rice scored from 20+ yards out, not giving McGahee a chance to get the red zone touches. There is nothing in that article or video that even hints at them switching to Rice for goal line duties. I think they'll continue to use both in the same manner as they have so far.

I say this as a Rice owner. I'd love for him to get more TD chances, but I just don't see how that article supports that theory.

Every week starter now?
Unless you are loaded at RB, I don't see how you can bench him.
At MN this Sunday is a bit scary. I know...I know, he'll catch passes out in the flats if they can't run, but that's easier said/planned than done. As a Rice owner I'm excited about his production and, although maybe a bit slanted toward Rice, he appears to be a more complete back than Willis at this stage of their careers.

No way- he is going in- too many bye week situations with RBs. Plus RR is a dual threat which will help frustrate the Viking defense. This will be another great game and RR will be a play maker in this tilt.

#6 and rising in my league. If and when McGahee gets phased out of the offense, Rice will be even better. McGahee has 38 carries/199 yards/5 TD's, and 8 Rec/58 yards/2 TD's. If you take half of McGahee's stats away and tack those on to Rice's production so far, that's a nice bump. Rice dynasty owners have to be smiling right now.

Click Here
If Operation PHASE OUT MCGAHEE is underway maybe the Ravens care more about Ray Rice's FF production rather than actual wins.The last two games when McGahee had less touches the Ravens lost. I'm not sure if getting Willis more involved would have resulted in wins for the Ravens, but I think that the coaching staff may go back to more of a shared workload to get things back on track.

I enjoy starting him each week, big play capabilities, good receps, decent YPC, scores some(when McGahee doesnt).

However he has had a couple real nice weeks and the Raven lost.

I'm sitting him this week. Mendenhall vs. Cleveland and Pierre Thomas vs. the Giants will be my backs.

If he were getting goalline carries, he'd be there.

No question he's an RB1 in PPR.

He's 4th overall in my league:

Adrian Peterson

Ronnie Brown

Chris Johnson

Ray Rice

Maurice Jones Drew

Only 2 points separate 2nd from 5th.

I understand MIN is a very tough matchup, but he is a must start in PPR. Only in a non-PPR would I consider sitting him. Rice is third among backs in receptions, and first in reception yards -- the opportunity is there, and I don't see the Ravens changing how they use him in the passing game despite facing a tough run D.

In fact, one could argue that they may utilize him more out of the backfield as a receiver than as a runner if the D they are facing is particularly stout.

Sack-Religious said:
JHicks22 said:

Click Here
If Operation PHASE OUT MCGAHEE is underway maybe the Ravens care more about Ray Rice's FF production rather than actual wins.The last two games when McGahee had less touches the Ravens lost. I'm not sure if getting Willis more involved would have resulted in wins for the Ravens, but I think that the coaching staff may go back to more of a shared workload to get things back on track.
Gotta love McGahee owners. They thought they had found a gold medallion and it turned out to only be gold plated.

No question he's an RB1 in PPR.He's 4th overall in my league:Adrian PetersonRonnie BrownChris JohnsonRay RiceMaurice Jones DrewOnly 2 points separate 2nd from 5th.I understand MIN is a very tough matchup, but he is a must start in PPR. Only in a non-PPR would I consider sitting him. Rice is third among backs in receptions, and first in reception yards -- the opportunity is there, and I don't see the Ravens changing how they use him in the passing game despite facing a tough run D. In fact, one could argue that they may utilize him more out of the backfield as a receiver than as a runner if the D they are facing is particularly stout.
I'm probably sitting him for D-Will and Pierre Thomas this week (non-PPR) with Ronnie on a bye...not sure yet though, D-Will has been a big disappointment and he might not get it going this week either..

Would anyone who has Rice trade him straight across for Randy Moss in a PPR if their other RB's were Sjax, Benson, Hightower and Morris? I am trying to gauge Rice's trade value.

Would anyone who has Rice trade him straight across for Randy Moss in a PPR if their other RB's were Sjax, Benson, Hightower and Morris? I am trying to gauge Rice's trade value.
I have Rice and I am not sure the Moss owner would do it. He also overrates his players tremendously.On another note, there is an owner in my league who offered me Sims Walker for Rice after Week 1 and I was so close to pulling the trade, but didnt. Then after Week 2, he offered me Sims Walker and Felix for Rice and I again highly considered and rejected. Now he has offered me Sims Walker, Felix and Celek and I flat out rejected him. I told him that he would need to put a really big name on the other side of he trade for me to even consider these days. I play in a 2 QB league and he is pondering offering me Rivers now. In this league, QB;s are gold. Just trying to give you some feedback on trade value. It is gonig way up. If he has anything in the neighborhood of 100 total yards, with 5 ot more catches and a score this week against Minnesota then his value will probably equal first round material until the end of this year leading up to next years drafts.

drew726 said:
Does his extra receptions push him over the edge as a low-end RB1?
What does it mean to be a RB1? Is it a RB that will finish in the top 12 at the end of the season?

Just bumped an old thread on Rice's draft position this year. Seems to have worked out as a 4th round pick so far. In one league with a flex, I've been starting both Rice and MaGahee as #2 and #3 RBs. That has worked well so far. I won't bench him against Minny. I'll ride this horse until I eat dirt.

Sack-Religious said:
JHicks22 said:

Click Here
Gotta love McGahee owners. They thought they had found a gold medallion and it turned out to only be gold plated.
Wrong. I'm actually a Rice owner in multiple leagues and own McGahee in none. What I am being is objective, nobody here cares about my team or how I manage it, so I try to look at the big picture. This leads me to believe that if a bigger dose of McGahee resulted in 3 W's earlier in the season (albeit vs. crap competition), then it stands to reason that the coaching staff may just get McGahee's touches up again to both preserve Rice for the stretch and to give a bigger mix of RB's an opponent has to gameplan for. To think that McGahee will be completely phased out, barring injury, IMO is foolish.

lyon812 said:
Oscar said:
Who's sitting him this week against Minnesota?
Considering sitting him for Moreno against SD. Depends on Buckhalter's health. That SD run D is too tempting to ignore if Moreno's going to be full-time.
I'm likely sitting him but I have D. Williams, Moreno, and Kevin Smith also and I can start 3 RB's. :thumbup:

Sack-Religious said:
JHicks22 said:

Click Here
Wrong. I'm actually a Rice owner in multiple leagues and own McGahee in none. What I am being is objective, nobody here cares about my team or how I manage it, so I try to look at the big picture. This leads me to believe that if a bigger dose of McGahee resulted in 3 W's earlier in the season (albeit vs. crap competition), then it stands to reason that the coaching staff may just get McGahee's touches up again to both preserve Rice for the stretch and to give a bigger mix of RB's an opponent has to gameplan for. To think that McGahee will be completely phased out, barring injury, IMO is foolish.
I really don't think they lost to the Bengals because of anythign to do with the lack of use of McGahee. They lost to the Bengals because they helped the Bengals march down the field on the final drive with bonehead penalties.Anyone think Ray Lewis was complaining about the officials after he tried to take Ocho's head off and got a personal foul for it??

I have Rice and I am not sure the Moss owner would do it. He also overrates his players tremendously.On another note, there is an owner in my league who offered me Sims Walker for Rice after Week 1 and I was so close to pulling the trade, but didnt. Then after Week 2, he offered me Sims Walker and Felix for Rice and I again highly considered and rejected. Now he has offered me Sims Walker, Felix and Celek and I flat out rejected him. I told him that he would need to put a really big name on the other side of he trade for me to even consider these days. I play in a 2 QB league and he is pondering offering me Rivers now. In this league, QB;s are gold. Just trying to give you some feedback on trade value. It is gonig way up. If he has anything in the neighborhood of 100 total yards, with 5 ot more catches and a score this week against Minnesota then his value will probably equal first round material until the end of this year leading up to next years drafts.
If you were offered Moss for Rice straight across would you do it? My other WR's are Jennings, MSW, Cotchery, Branch, Mass(Cle). Would I be giving up to much in Rice to get Moss? Right now i am going Sjax & Rice with Benson in the flex. If i got Moss I would have to go with Sjax & Benson with Hightower in the flex. I guess what i am asking is Moss worth Rice? Funy that I am asking that now. I don't think anyone would have been asking that after the first week of the season.

Oscar said:
In one league (PPR) I'm going w/ MJD at RB and Roddy, Hines Ward and Royal (or Braylon) for WR/FlexIn another (16 teams) I'm starting him with MJD and Leon Washington... I've started him AND McGahee in this league a couple weeks, but would sit them both for this one if I had another viable option.That said, I think he'll have an alright game (80-90 combined yardage) and could be pretty studly in PPR with another 7 or 8 catches out of the backfield.

Oscar said:
In a non-PPR league I am going with Slaton over Rice. I don't feel good about doing so but also have a suspicion that McGahee will get more touches this week and Rice's production is going to suffer this week v Minn. If he had an easier matchup I would start him but @ Minn is something I am going to stay away from.

Sack-Religious said:
JHicks22 said:

Click Here
I really don't think they lost to the Bengals because of anythign to do with the lack of use of McGahee. They lost to the Bengals because they helped the Bengals march down the field on the final drive with bonehead penalties.Anyone think Ray Lewis was complaining about the officials after he tried to take Ocho's head off and got a personal foul for it??
:goodposting: I don't think playing McGahee more has anything to do with the Ravens W-L record either.

Just as a value gauge...16 team PPR IDP dynasty league, I just traded Felix Jones and Mario Williams for Rice.

RB Willis McGahee is another player who contributed a lot the first few games but hasn’t seen as much action the last few weeks. Is there a reason why he has not played as much? “I

think Ray [Rice] was playing well. The thing that was interesting about that whole situation, I was down on the sideline with Le’Ron [McClain] and Willis [McGahee], and Ray was playing well, and they were both into it – every play. And when Ray taps, when he gasses, we’re ready to go. But Ray is playing well. [Willis and Le’Ron] were supportive of Ray, but those guys want to play, too. We’ve got three guys. It’s hard to get them all in there at the same time. We could run the wishbone, I guess. They’re going to be in there and we’re going to use all those guys. If we’re not successful in one week, it’s always going to be [about] who didn’t play or who didn’t get the ball. And if we are successful, then it’s going to be [about] who didn’t play and who didn’t get the ball. It’s always going to be a conversation that we’re going to have, and it’s fair. But you’re going to see plenty of Willis McGahee and Le’Ron McLain and Derrick Mason and all of our guys as weeks go on.”
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...words.html#more

He's been better by a long shot over the 2 RBs I took in the 1st 2 rounds of my draft:

Dangelo Williams & Brian Westbrook

Oscar said:
I have no idea, I've got too many options. I have PThomas, Moreno, Forte, and Portis as well. I really need to trade a couple of these guys, but when I'm countered with PThomas & Moreno for Greg Jennings, the talks tend to break down.Looking at MIN's run D so far, it doesn't look as though they've been as dominant as everyone seems to think.Jamal Lewis 11/57 & 3/47Kevin Smith 24/83 & 2/10Glen Coffee 25/54Ryan Grant 11/51 & 4/50Steven Jackson 21/84 & 2/25Cleveland and GB didn't run a lot, but had success when they did. Det and StL both seemed to do OK, not great. Obviously SF didn't do crap on the ground.They're giving up 96ypg, 3.8ypc, but the longest run against them was 15yds, and they've allowed 0 rushing TD's. While they are definitely good against the run, they can obviously be run on to a point. At least between the 20's, which is where Rice has mainly been used. Now playing McGahee would scare me, I wouldn't have an issue sticking Rice in their over most other options.I just need to figure out who's going to piss me off the least when they score two TD's on my bench like Portis did this week.

I'm starting him vs. Minn with confidence. He's the most versatile back they have and they need offensive answers. He will see the ball plenty on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread