What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Selvin Young a more solid draft choice now? (1 Viewer)

AtomicDogg97

Footballguy
Do you guys think that Selvin Young is a more solid pick now that Ryan Torrain is injured and possibly out for the year?

I am thinking that Young in the fifth round might be a steal. Just make sure you back him up with Andre Hall. There really isn't any other threat on the Broncos to steal carries is there?

I personally don't like him. I think it's a myth that you can just throw in any RB in Denver and they produce. The very idea of Ryan Torrain being able to compete and try and steal this job from Young to begin with shows me how good Selvin Young is.

Selvin Young in the 5th means he's going to be my RB2. I don't want to take 3 Rb's in the first 5 rounds this year and I don't trust Selvin Young for an entire season to be my RB2, so I'm passing.

With all that in mind and then having to deal with Shanny and his injury report and not knowing who's playing for sure 30 mins before the game and they're usually a 4:15 start Eastern on a Sunday, it's a freaken headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denver has a nice run schedule...I have him as my #2/#3 RB with Rudi and I will be very pleased to play the matchups with him. I'll definitely be having him as my starting #2RB week 1 vs. Oakland.

Do you guys think that Selvin Young is a more solid pick now that Ryan Torrain is injured and possibly out for the year?

I am thinking that Young in the fifth round might be a steal. Just make sure you back him up with Andre Hall. There really isn't any other threat on the Broncos to steal carries is there?
Michael Pittman and someone you haven't heard of yet.

It certainly helps a lot taking one of his main/possibly only competition for the starting gig out of the running.

as always, stay far away from DEN RB's - they will only lead to heartbreak for you

if you cannot stay away, draft Selvin Young high. draft Pittman as a sleeper, Andre Hall as a deep sleep and a super out of nowhere sleeper ?

Peyton Hillis

as always, stay far away from DEN RB's - they will only lead to heartbreak for youif you cannot stay away, draft Selvin Young high. draft Pittman as a sleeper, Andre Hall as a deep sleep and a super out of nowhere sleeper ?Peyton Hillis
This is bad advice. You should draft Andre Hall before Pittman and Alridge after that.

It certainly helps a lot taking one of his main/possibly only competition for the starting gig out of the running.
It also boosts his ADP and expectations. He was either going to beat out Torrain or he wasn't before Torrain's injury. If you believed in Young before Torrain's injury, you'd rather get him in the 6th or 7th allowing you to gobble up some more WR's or a stud TE. Now you're taking him a little higher than you wanted and you better be right about him or he could leave a big hole to fill.

Make sure you get all 5 Denver RB's whoever they may be.

I usually grab the 2 un drafted ones when waivers opens up. This year that was Hall and Aldridge.

How often has the Denver RB who is #1 in preseason the #1 all regular season? It seems really common for Shanny to make changes by the start of the season. I like Hall. He performed as well as Young last year and had a great preseason game and has had a good camp by all reports.

As a general strategy, if you get a Denver RB drop in the draft to the point that you feel compelled to take him (I just picked up Andre Hall that way in the 17th round of a startup dynasty draft) I would shop him aggressively the moment he has a big game for something, anything more stable.

Edit to answer the topic question: I'd say Young is probably more solid given that one possible threat is now on the shelf, but he's a far way from solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Young on my roster as a possible keeper @ $10 ($120 cap)

I will most likely keep him for $10.

Then, following his first or second good game I'll trade him before Shanhan starts his usual shinanigans.

There are enough Denver fans in my league to find a taker.

Denver RB's are like crack.

The highs are high, the lows are low, you realize it's no good for you, but for some reason you find yourself considering it again when you're tempted with it in front of you.

The answer: Become a crack dealer and make a ton of profit.

Torains injury hurts Young's value in my opinion. Torain was going to beat out Young and be the starter with Young spelling him as a change of pace back. This wasn't going to happen in week one most likely, but it was going to happen. Now it is going to be the same old same old with Bronco RBs. Young, Hall, or Alridge, take your pick.

shredhead said:
Torains injury hurts Young's value in my opinion. Torain was going to beat out Young and be the starter with Young spelling him as a change of pace back. This wasn't going to happen in week one most likely, but it was going to happen. Now it is going to be the same old same old with Bronco RBs. Young, Hall, or Alridge, take your pick.
These two sentences together make no sense to me at all. :shrug:

AtomicDogg97 said:
Do you guys think that Selvin Young is a more solid pick now that Ryan Torrain is injured and possibly out for the year?I am thinking that Young in the fifth round might be a steal. Just make sure you back him up with Andre Hall. There really isn't any other threat on the Broncos to steal carries is there?
Young is nothing special either..and he's another injury-prone guy...there is an outstanding chance that the best RB on Denver's roster , might not actually be on Denver's roster, at the moment..they might bring someone in for a 'look'..

AtomicDogg97 said:

:kicksrock: Yeah, that oughta cover it.

I don't think taking Andre Hall assures you of anything. Is Torain out for the year? If it's not confirmed, and he comes back midway through the season, then he might jump into that committee. Not to mention Alridge.

I think if you draft Selvin, you don't even worry about handcuffing him to any of those guys, unless they happen to fall down in the draft. Just take him, draft a good backup, and hope he keeps the job.

I was reading some Skeletor comments this pre-season where the reporter asked him what was his ideal RB. His answer was a RB who gets 5 ypc.

So I looked.. last year Selvin Young averaged 5.2 ypc on 140 carries last year. No other RB on the roster was 5 ypc or greater (hall was 4.9 on 44 carries :confused: ).

I know its not much to base a decision on and reading the mind of skeletor is risky at best. But I took that as a hint as to who he wants to be the feature RB this year.

Selvin Young.

Now he just needs to stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread