What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

is Texas the best state in the US? (1 Viewer)

Major

Footballguy
NY has NYC, CA has SF and maybe SD, CO has Denver/mountains, LA has Nola, Texas has Houston and Austin plus low taxes and cheap land. You gotta deal with an ignorant Gov. but as long as you stay in 713 or 512, you good.

NY has NYC, CA has SF and maybe SD, CO has Denver/mountains, LA has Nola, Texas has Houston and Austin plus low taxes and cheap land. You gotta deal with an ignorant Gov. but as long as you stay in 713 or 512, you good.
Comparing Houston and Austin to NYC, SF, and SD? Insane.

Dallas and Houston both suck. Austin is better than advertised. It's almost like a state in itself. I'd like to check out San Antonio.

texas comes in second right behind florida as states that should be first kicked out of the union. texas is horrible.

I'm admittedly a fan of Texas (and I'm a California native and have lived in NYC). And it's pretty non-controversial to bag on Texas generally, and Houston specifically. Hey, it's not for everyone. But Houston is really coming around. I love it here, for a lot of reasons, some of which are on this list: Why Houston is the Best City in America (article from Business Insider)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lived around Texas my whole life and can say that there is no other place like Austin. It is large without being inconvenient and has a wide range of activities and interests and types of people and places to live. It is reasonably priced and has a robust job market to go with no state income tax. The only thing I find to say negative about Austin is the lack of professional sports. However, the spurs are an hour away, the minor league basebAll experience is top notch, and the longhorns fill a big void for football.

The rest of the state features nowhere I'd want to live. Houston sucks. Dallas sucks. Fort Worth borders on tolerable. San Antonio sucks. So on and so forth.

Dallas and Houston both suck. Austin is better than advertised. It's almost like a state in itself. I'd like to check out San Antonio.
Houston is underrated. Austin is overrated. Dallas's reputation is about right.

Of course, that's not to say that there aren't reasons to prefer Austin over Houston and Dallas. There most certainly are. But Austin isn't as good as its rep, and Houston isn't as bad as its rep.

I have lived around Texas my whole life and can say that there is no other place like Austin. It is large without being inconvenient and has a wide range of activities and interests and types of people and places to live. It is reasonably priced and has a robust job market to go with no state income tax. The only thing I find to say negative about Austin is the lack of professional sports. However, the spurs are an hour away, the minor league basebAll experience is top notch, and the longhorns fill a big void for football.

The rest of the state features nowhere I'd want to live. Houston sucks. Dallas sucks. Fort Worth borders on tolerable. San Antonio sucks. So on and so forth.
Just noticed the sig. :lmao:

Of course, that's not to say that there aren't reasons to prefer Austin over Houston and Dallas. There most certainly are. But Austin isn't as good as its rep, and Houston isn't as bad as its rep.
Austin is a great singles town. There are tons of single women of all ages..........and a great deal of hotties. There's also ton of great music. The only thing not to like is the amount of hipsters.

Austin seems like a really cool city to me. Great food and music, Longhorn football. Terry Bozzio is a Bay Area born and bred guy who lives there now last time I checked.

Austin is a great singles town. There are tons of single women of all ages..........and a great deal of hotties. There's also ton of great music. The only thing not to like is the amount of hipsters.
Again, I'm not arguing, either objectively or subjectively, that Houston is a better city than Austin (though the argument could be made depending on the criteria). I'm simply asserting that Austin's rep as one of the best cities in the country, and Houston's rep as one of the worst cities in the country are both overstated.

It's amusing that one of the longest state coastlines in the entire country goes completely unmentioned in a "great state". Sounds wonderful!

Austin seems like a really cool city to me. Great food and music, Longhorn football. Terry Bozzio is a Bay Area born and bred guy who lives there now last time I checked.
:lmao: I'm actually a big Terry Bozzio fan.
I know it's an odd thing to point out, but the Bay Area is way too expensive now (dunno the cost of living in Austin) for even a guy like Bozzio to live in. Dunno what the drum scene is like there, but with Bozzio around, it should be pretty cool.

I'm admittedly a fan of Texas (and I'm a California native and have lived in NYC). And it's pretty non-controversial to bag on Texas generally, and Houston specifically. Hey, it's not for everyone. But Houston is really coming around. I love it here, for a lot of reasons, some of which are on this list: Why Houston is the Best City in America (article from Business Insider)
Yup. Best kept secret in the US. Houston has pockets of goodness that you'll only know about if you're with a local. Amazing city except for the ####ty summers. Best idea is to live here 51% of the time, pay no state income and travel in the summer and/or the weather is ####.

So basically, San Antonio is a landlocked oasis of awesomeness surrounded by a desert of suck.

In other words, 461 / 268,581 square miles is good. :shrug:

So basically, San Antonio is a landlocked oasis of awesomeness surrounded by a desert of suck.

San Antonio sucks. Austin is the only place worthwhile and our punishment is it takes 5 or 6 hours to get out of the state by car and then the reward is being in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or louisiAna

Bigbottom spouting troofs.

Austin girls are a little too granola/sandal wearing for my taste. I like pretty girls that dress nice, tats and wimmenz who are NOT afraid of happiness. These girls are a plenty in Houston. Oh yeah, it also helps if you have cash.

San Antonio sucks. Austin is the only place worthwhile and our punishment is it takes 5 or 6 hours to get out of the state by car and then the reward is being in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or louisiAna
Sorry, I meant Austin. :bag:

A whole lotta fail/misinformation going on here. You're doing Texas wrong, son.

San Antonio is awful. Best thing about it is that you're only 45 minute drive to Austin. I'm not sure how people live there unless they're forced to i.e. military.

I hate the heat and that place is ungodly hot. We had two weeks in the mid 90's and it was just unbearable. I don't know how you can do 4 months of that. Give me a northeast winter any time; at least I can still be active outside.

I hate the heat and that place is ungodly hot. We had two weeks in the mid 90's and it was just unbearable. I don't know how you can do 4 months of that. Give me a northeast winter any time; at least I can still be active outside.
There's something called AC. It's pretty awesome. You should try it in the summer.

As far as professional sports, I like how Houston has concentrated the professional stadiums in downtown. From my office, I can walk to the Toyota Center where the Rockets play, I can walk to Minute Maid where the Astros play, and I can walk to BBVA Compass stadium where the Dynamo play. Can't walk to Reliant to see the Texans (though I'm not at the office on Sundays anyway), but it is a relatively short tram ride (metro rail) from the station outside my office building.

Yeah, the heat is pretty ridiculous. It was the biggest tradeoff for me when we moved from California.

There's something called AC. It's pretty awesome. You should try it in the summer.
Yeah, that's my idea of living; in the AC for 4 months.
Four? I spent a NYE and NYD in Houston and the AC kicked on a few times.

As far as professional sports, I like how Houston has concentrated the professional stadiums in downtown. From my office, I can walk to the Toyota Center where the Rockets play, I can walk to Minute Maid where the Astros play, and I can walk to BBVA Compass stadium where the Dynamo play. Can't walk to Reliant to see the Texans (though I'm not at the office on Sundays anyway), but it is a relatively short tram ride (metro rail) from the station outside my office building.
Nice. I've been buying property/land in East Downtown. My studio/gallery is off Commerce. The Bike Share program also rocks for $65/yr. Great for downtown. Lots of good bars poppin' up on Main St. Def hit Bad News Bar if you're local.

I lived in Houston for a few months on a work assignment. Good food, and pretty nice people on the whole.

Wouldn't live there if someone offered to double my salary. The traffic and weather were obnoxious. Of course I already live in the best state, so maybe it suffered too much in comparison.

Trade off where I live is you can do all kinds of outdoor stuff in the winter.

I lived in Houston for a few months on a work assignment. Good food, and pretty nice people on the whole.

Wouldn't live there if someone offered to double my salary. The traffic and weather were obnoxious. Of course I already live in the best state, so maybe it suffered too much in comparison.
see if you live in the burbs or around the Galleria area, you're doing Houston wrong. Live/work inner loop (ideally downtown, heights, montrose, rice/west u) and you won't have to deal with crazy traffic. I take the back streets during rush hour and get anywhere I want in 15 mins. Of course, I grew up here so I know tings.

Trade off where I live is you can do all kinds of outdoor stuff in the winter.
I'm a big fan of flying places. Another cool concept.

A whole lotta fail/misinformation going on here. You're doing Texas wrong, son.
I love Texas. I grew up in easy Texas and Houston and spend a lot of time in the brush country and Dallas area. I just wouldn't want to live anywhere but Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread