What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

is the dominating defense a thing of the past? (1 Viewer)

pecorino

Footballguy
the last team to ride a dominating defense to the super bowl were the Ravens almost a decade ago. watching these playoff games, i can't help but think that defense has taken a massive back seat to offense, especially the passing game.

in my opinion, the NFL has gone too far with the rules favoring the offense and the game seems to be out of balance now. maybe this is a good thing, keeping more fans interested in the games. i miss intimidating defenses and low-scoring battles. am i just a dinosaur?

the last team to ride a dominating defense to the super bowl were the Ravens almost a decade ago. watching these playoff games, i can't help but think that defense has taken a massive back seat to offense, especially the passing game.in my opinion, the NFL has gone too far with the rules favoring the offense and the game seems to be out of balance now. maybe this is a good thing, keeping more fans interested in the games. i miss intimidating defenses and low-scoring battles. am i just a dinosaur?
And before the Ravens, when was the last team to have it's defense bring them to the Super Bowl? I would say the 85 Bears, and some might argue that the Bears Offense was still pretty good and didn't need carrying.

Chicago Bears '06 down? Rex Grossman certainly didnt lead them there.

The Bucs recently won a Super Bowl with a damn good defense.
Whoops, my bad. You are correct.I just don't think there have been many teams in the last 20-25 years that have been solely led to the Super Bowl by their D. The Cowboys had great offensive players, the 49ers, the Rams, the Pats, Packers . . . etc. Many of these teams also had very, very good defenses, in some cases excellent. But I can't remember a team led solely by their D.

the last team to ride a dominating defense to the super bowl were the Ravens almost a decade ago. watching these playoff games, i can't help but think that defense has taken a massive back seat to offense, especially the passing game.

in my opinion, the NFL has gone too far with the rules favoring the offense and the game seems to be out of balance now. maybe this is a good thing, keeping more fans interested in the games. i miss intimidating defenses and low-scoring battles. am i just a dinosaur?
doesnt say win anywhere.

doesnt say win anywhere.
Then you would be correct, the BEars D last year without a doubt carried that offense.

Actually the 03 Patriots were ranked #1 on defense in the NFL and the 04 Patriots were #2.
Maybe I completely read the OP point wrong, but I thought he meant has a team been "solely" carried by a D. Aside from the Rams when they won it, I think most of the last 20-25 Super Bowl winners had defenses ranked in the top 10 area. As a Packer fan, I remember our defense being very, very good in the Super Bowl year. Reggie White and Sean Jones were quite a pair of bookends.

what i meant is that the recently successful teams, especially in this year's postseason, tend to be defined by their offense much more than their defense.

Actually the 03 Patriots were ranked #1 on defense in the NFL and the 04 Patriots were #2.
Maybe I completely read the OP point wrong, but I thought he meant has a team been "solely" carried by a D. Aside from the Rams when they won it, I think most of the last 20-25 Super Bowl winners had defenses ranked in the top 10 area. As a Packer fan, I remember our defense being very, very good in the Super Bowl year. Reggie White and Sean Jones were quite a pair of bookends.
Well I think the 85 bears had a pretty good offense too. Defense still wins championships, although you need a good offense too. Pats X 3, Colts last year, Ravens, Bucs. Only real exception is the Rams. It so happens that there have been no great defenses this year.

Users who are viewing this thread