What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is This Collusion? (1 Viewer)

Should this trade be protested?

• Yes

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 84.8%

• Total voters

Banemorth

Footballguy
Hey I just wanted to get a few opinions here. I'm in a 32 Team League and this trade just went down.

Team A Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.02

Team B Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.06

2012 Rookie Pick 2.06

2013 First Round Pick (Probably high)

2014 First Round Pick (Probably high)

Hey I just wanted to get a few opinions here. I'm in a 32 Team League and this trade just went down.Team A Gives:2012 Rookie Pick 1.02Team B Gives:2012 Rookie Pick 1.062012 Rookie Pick 2.062013 First Round Pick (Probably high)2014 First Round Pick (Probably high)
I see what you did there.

Nothing wrong with trade. Can't say much about the future picks because teams can turn around fast. 1.02 for the 6 and a second plus future picks is fine. Skins just did it for a player they really want so it's the same type of move here.

Nothing wrong with trade. Can't say much about the future picks because teams can turn around fast. 1.02 for the 6 and a second plus future picks is fine. Skins just did it for a player they really want so it's the same type of move here.
:lmao:What a striking resemblance, you're right.

Bad trade for Team A if the league folds before 2014.

Not For Long and all that.

But I shouldn't comment. I don't do IDP leagues.

Hey I just wanted to get a few opinions here. I'm in a 32 Team League and this trade just went down.Team A Gives:2012 Rookie Pick 1.02Team B Gives:2012 Rookie Pick 1.062012 Rookie Pick 2.062013 First Round Pick (Probably high)2014 First Round Pick (Probably high)
Trust me team B will find a way to F this up. signed a rams fan.

Hey I just wanted to get a few opinions here. I'm in a 32 Team League and this trade just went down.

Team A Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.02

Team B Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.06

2012 Rookie Pick 2.06

Lot of bad assumptions in this post.Why are these picks "probably high?"

In the last 5 years, the team with the 6th pick in the draft has had a top-10 pick in the subsequent draft 1 time. And only 1 other time has the team with the 6th pick had a top-20 pick. So, based on recent history, there's a 60% chance that those #1 picks won't be "probably high."

Furthermore, as recent history has shown, a franchise QB is necessary to be successful in the NFL. The Colts sucked without Manning, the 49er's & Ravens can win with average QBs but can't go all the way, and you have to go back to 2002 (Tom Brady before he was TOM BRADY) to find an average QB winning the SB.

Did the Skins pay a lot? Yes. Did they have to? Yes. Could it be a bad trade? Yes, but you can't call it that right now.

Team A Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.02

Team B Gives:

2012 Rookie Pick 1.06

2012 Rookie Pick 2.06

Lot of bad assumptions in this post.Why are these picks "probably high?"

In the last 5 years, the team with the 6th pick in the draft has had a top-10 pick in the subsequent draft 1 time. And only 1 other time has the team with the 6th pick had a top-20 pick. So, based on recent history, there's a 60% chance that those #1 picks won't be "probably high."

Furthermore, as recent history has shown, a franchise QB is necessary to be successful in the NFL. The Colts sucked without Manning, the 49er's & Ravens can win with average QBs but can't go all the way, and you have to go back to 2002 (Tom Brady before he was TOM BRADY) to find an average QB winning the SB.

Did the Skins pay a lot? Yes. Did they have to? Yes. Could it be a bad trade? Yes, but you can't call it that right now.
"Probably high" doesn't necessarily mean top 5 pick.. Could mean top 10 pick.. Also you're trying to limit the variable outcome of your calculation, by limiting it to teams picking from the 6th position, when you should be counting teams 4,5,6,7,and 8.. Or at least 5,6,and 7..

Reality is that the Redskins picks have a much better chance of being high picks then you suggest.. Will they be a playoff team in the next couple years? Odds don't favor them.. Will they have a winning record? Odds are against that as well...

Reality is that the Redskins picks have a much better chance of being high picks then you suggest.. Will they be a playoff team in the next couple years? Odds don't favor them.. Will they have a winning record? Odds are against that as well...
Who's odds are you using to validate this? If RG3 is/becomes the player many think he will, I'd say your "odds" are very off.

Who's odds are you using to validate this? If RG3 is/becomes the player many think he will, I'd say your "odds" are very off.
Who do you think RGII will become? Peyton manning? O' wait, Manning first season was a loosing season.. Cam Newton? O' wait, loosing season there as well... And those teams actually had nice offensive weapons..What exactly are you expecting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who do you think RGII will become? Peyton manning? O' wait, Manning first season was a loosing season.. Cam Newton? O' wait, loosing season there as well... And those teams actually had nice offensive weapons..What exactly are you expecting?
You originally stated "next couple years." Now you are stating 1st year. Which is it?Wash was 5-11 last year. They were not epically bad like Car or Indy. Car went from 2 wins the year prior to drafting Cam and won 6 last year, a 4 game improvement. Indy won 3 games prior to drafting Manning and also 3 in his rookie year. They then won 13 in year 2. Hell, even St. L improved from 1 win the year prior to drafting Bradford to 7 wins in his 1st year. That was with Bradford, a guy universally considered lesser of a prospect.Neither team did worse and both improved greatly. So again I'll ask the question, who's odds are you validating this with?

'Carolina Hustler said:
"Probably high" doesn't necessarily mean top 5 pick.. Could mean top 10 pick.. Also you're trying to limit the variable outcome of your calculation, by limiting it to teams picking from the 6th position, when you should be counting teams 4,5,6,7,and 8.. Or at least 5,6,and 7..
I wasn't limiting anything. The funny guy who started this thread brought up a team trading the 1.06 & 2.06 pick; I just used his starting point.
'Carolina Hustler said:
I don't have a lot of time right now, but here are the 2011 top-10 NFL draft picks:Carolina

Denver

Buffalo

Cincinnati

Arizona

Cleveland (traded to Atl)

San Francisco

Tennessee

Dallas

Washington (traded to Jacksonville)

And here is the 2012 top-10 NFL draft order:

Indianapolis Colts

St. Louis Rams (traded to Washington)

Minnesota Vikings

Cleveland Browns

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Redskins (traded to StL)

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Carolina Panthers

Buffalo Bills

So, 4/10 teams repeated in the top-10. To me, that seems like the odds are with them, not against them. Now, I know this is only a 1-year sample, but it's more support than those who are saying "the Skins have given up 3 high 1st round-picks" without ANYTHING to support that belief.

So, 4/10 teams repeated in the top-10. To me, that seems like the odds are with them, not against them. Now, I know this is only a 1-year sample, but it's more support than those who are saying "the Skins have given up 3 high 1st round-picks" without ANYTHING to support that belief.
Is his going to get them to better than 8-8? Typically, 7-9 is about the 10th pick and 8-8 is about 15th, depending on SOS. I don't have much problem projecting both of the future picks as top 20.BTW, of those other 6 teams who didn't have top 10 picks, they were #13, 14, 20, 21, 25 and 30. I'm sure the Rams are happy with a 50% chance of getting a top 14 pick and an 80% chance of a pick in the top 21.

Is his going to get them to better than 8-8? Typically, 7-9 is about the 10th pick and 8-8 is about 15th, depending on SOS. I don't have much problem projecting both of the future picks as top 20.BTW, of those other 6 teams who didn't have top 10 picks, they were #13, 14, 20, 21, 25 and 30. I'm sure the Rams are happy with a 50% chance of getting a top 14 pick and an 80% chance of a pick in the top 21.
And I'm sure the Redskins are happy with a QB who they hope will be their franchise QB, so it's a win-win, I guess. :banned:

'Carolina Hustler said:
I wasn't limiting anything. The funny guy who started this thread brought up a team trading the 1.06 & 2.06 pick; I just used his starting point.
'Carolina Hustler said:
I don't have a lot of time right now, but here are the 2011 top-10 NFL draft picks:Carolina

Denver

Buffalo

Cincinnati

Arizona

Cleveland (traded to Atl)

San Francisco

Tennessee

Dallas

Washington (traded to Jacksonville)

And here is the 2012 top-10 NFL draft order:

Indianapolis Colts

St. Louis Rams (traded to Washington)

Minnesota Vikings

Cleveland Browns

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Redskins (traded to StL)

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Carolina Panthers

Buffalo Bills

So, I was able to take some time and look back at the last 11 top-10s (including this years). I got this information from NFL.com, but it didn't indicate traded picks or anything like that, just what team picked at which spot in every year. The trend I noted in the previous post holds true: 40% of teams who pick in the top-10 have a top-10 pick in the second year. I think it's safe to say that you were incorrect when you said:
Reality is that the Redskins picks have a much better chance of being high picks then you suggest...Odds don't favor them
The odds do, in fact, favor them.

'jurb26 said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'jurb26 said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
You originally stated "next couple years." Now you are stating 1st year. Which is it?Wash was 5-11 last year. They were not epically bad like Car or Indy. Car went from 2 wins the year prior to drafting Cam and won 6 last year, a 4 game improvement. Indy won 3 games prior to drafting Manning and also 3 in his rookie year. They then won 13 in year 2. Hell, even St. L improved from 1 win the year prior to drafting Bradford to 7 wins in his 1st year. That was with Bradford, a guy universally considered lesser of a prospect.Neither team did worse and both improved greatly. So again I'll ask the question, who's odds are you validating this with?
Sig bet?I asked what you are expecting.. I expect them to be in the bottom half of the NFC..If you think the odds favor you, put your sig where your mouth is...

So, I was able to take some time and look back at the last 11 top-10s (including this years). I got this information from NFL.com, but it didn't indicate traded picks or anything like that, just what team picked at which spot in every year. The trend I noted in the previous post holds true: 40% of teams who pick in the top-10 have a top-10 pick in the second year. I think it's safe to say that you were incorrect when you said:

Reality is that the Redskins picks have a much better chance of being high picks then you suggest...Odds don't favor them
Only if you are classify a high pick as a top 10. How many of teams picking in the top 10 picked in the top 15 the next year?

Only if you are classify a high pick as a top 10. How many of teams picking in the top 10 picked in the top 15 the next year?
If you are interested, feel free to check it out. I was merely responding posts in this thread, which were implying that it was a bad trade for the Redskins. The facts are that the Rams were trading the #2, the Browns were interested, and (Schefter reported) were also offering 3 1st-rounders. The Redskins gave up what they had to, in order to get RGIII. If he turns out to be as good as everyone is projecting, then it's a good trade for them (and those 1st-rounders could be later picks).

If you are interested, feel free to check it out. I was merely responding posts in this thread, which were implying that it was a bad trade for the Redskins. The facts are that the Rams were trading the #2, the Browns were interested, and (Schefter reported) were also offering 3 1st-rounders. The Redskins gave up what they had to, in order to get RGIII. If he turns out to be as good as everyone is projecting, then it's a good trade for them (and those 1st-rounders could be later picks).
I'm in the camp that says it's win-win for both sides but just pointing out that the Rams are likely to get a shot at some very good players out of it.

I'm in the camp that says it's win-win for both sides but just pointing out that the Rams are likely to get a shot at some very good players out of it.
No doubt-my initial post in this thread was in response to the baseless assumption that the future 1st-round picks were automatically going to be "high" (top-10) picks, so the trade was horrible for Washington. If the Rams get quality players with those picks, they win, and if RGIII pans out (& the Skins use their later picks wisely & get a few quality FAs), they win, too.

Sig bet?I asked what you are expecting.. I expect them to be in the bottom half of the NFC..If you think the odds favor you, put your sig where your mouth is...
I'm still not sure what time frame you are talking about. Are you saying they are in the bottom half of the league next year, or the next few years?

There is one thing that would be looked at if this were a fantasy trade that is worth considering for the NFL version.

The supposed lopsidedness of it wouldn't be circumstantial evidence of collusion in fantasy, because it is right at market level. The Browns were reportedly offering three 1st round picks.

So back to the NFL standpoint, it may seem like a lot to give up, but the Redskins aren't the only team who think that's in the appropriate price range.

I'm still not sure what time frame you are talking about. Are you saying they are in the bottom half of the league next year, or the next few years?
I expect them to be in the bottom half of the NFC in 2012, and 2013... Running bet...? Awarded at the end of each season..?

Users who are viewing this thread