What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (2 Viewers)

Seriously, Jets homer here. His usage does not align with aspirant fantasy football if you take floor into account. It's way too volatile to predict because of coaching/game usage, etc. He's a good back best left on one's bench, IMHO. YMMV with the risk it entails, but some rosters are good enough to endure non-usage *mine isn't.  

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell (ankle) did not practice Thursday.
This is now his second missed practice in a row, raising serious concerns about his availability against the Colts. He will need to get in at least a limited session on Friday. Bilal Powell would handle the bulk of the backfield work if Crowell is forced to sit.
Originally planned to start Crowell over Clement. With the game tonight I don't have the luxury of waiting to see if he practices on Friday. Going with Clement.

FF Ninja said:
Acting like 16/34 is significantly worse than 18/44 is bickering or nit picking. Has nothing to do with viewpoint. 

I was speaking to the CLE game, which you referenced because I incorrectly cited his stats vs MIA.  What Hunt has to do with this discussion is beyond me, but it’s apparently important to you.  I pretty much ignored the Hunt comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was speaking to the CLE game, which you referenced because I incorrectly cited his stats vs MIA.  What Hunt has to do with this discussion is beyond me, but it’s apparently important to you.
Just pointing out how easy it is to cherry pick games and complain about those performances. That seemed pretty obvious, but I'm happy to spell it out.

The other flaw in the logic was already pointed out by Dr.O in that Crowell's own numbers have impacted the rankings of the defenses he's faced.

Just traded him and DeSean Jackson for Tyreek Hill in a PPR.

Now I need to decide whether or not to start him over James White or Aaron Jones in a TD-heavy non-PPR league.  These are the decisions one is left with when one' first two RB picks are Fournette and Derrick Henry.

Just traded him and DeSean Jackson for Tyreek Hill in a PPR.

Now I need to decide whether or not to start him over James White or Aaron Jones in a TD-heavy non-PPR league.  These are the decisions one is left with when one' first two RB picks are Fournette and Derrick Henry.
Tough call... I would want a piece of the KC/NE game for sure... but non-ppr with James White is a tough call.  I have Aaron Jones too and really want to start him over other really good options in 0.5 PPR, I feel like the SF game is a perfect gamescript and I love starting guys in primetime.

Just pointing out how easy it is to cherry pick games and complain about those performances. That seemed pretty obvious, but I'm happy to spell it out.

The other flaw in the logic was already pointed out by Dr.O in that Crowell's own numbers have impacted the rankings of the defenses he's faced.

More insults.  Hmm.  Okay, since you seem to think I’m stupid, let me ask what seems like an obvious question to me:  How does Hunt’s performance in that one game go to any kind of evidence of how Crowell is performing to date this year?

Bronco Billy said:
Just turned in a DNP (knee) yesterday.  Possibly a maintenance day, but after drilling down a bit I’m not seeing why he needs a maintenance day.  

He has only had 19 carries over the last 2 games.  Powell has outsnapped Crowell in every game this year, even the two blowout Ws.   Game script does not seem to affect his workload other than he gets a few more snaps (as does Powell) in blowout Ws, but his high carry mark was against CLE in a close game but still was only 16.

Crowell is averaging just over 11 carries a game.  He crapped the bed against the 2 top 10 run Ds NY has played - neither is top 5 - was bad against CLE (#16 run D) at 12 carries for 35 yds but was saved by 2 TDs.  Had his two good games against bottom 10 run Ds DEN and DET, but gained his 321 yds on only 25 carries on 49 snaps cumulative, with the 3 total TDs.

His ypc is awful (2.15 ypc) when he isn’t playing a bottom 10 run D.  He’s virtually ignored in the pass game.  

This week he gets #15 run D IND.  After seeing these stats broken down more deeply, I’m strongly thinking of sitting him for Clement this week.  He’s not getting nearly enough workload and needs a really bad run D or has to score 2 TDs in order to put up any kind of decent FF numbers.  Against an average run D this week, it seems like he’ll be TD dependent again.
Considering hes missing practice don't really think you have a choice.

More insults.  Hmm.  Okay, since you seem to think I’m stupid, let me ask what seems like an obvious question to me:  How does Hunt’s performance in that one game go to any kind of evidence of how Crowell is performing to date this year?
I just spelled out the point of the Hunt reference. You claimed to be insulted by me spelling it out. Then you asked a poorly worded question that implies you didn't understand the point of the reference or the spelled out explanation. Rather than repeat myself, I'm going to do this thread a favor and ignore you going forward. Adios.  :bye:

Tough call... I would want a piece of the KC/NE game for sure... but non-ppr with James White is a tough call.  I have Aaron Jones too and really want to start him over other really good options in 0.5 PPR, I feel like the SF game is a perfect gamescript and I love starting guys in primetime.
It's only 1 point/20 yards too.  White's value in that league is entirely TD-dependent.  Luckily for me, he's been scoring virtually every week, but on the weeks he doesn't score, he's worth about 3 points.  I feel like Jones could be a gold mine if they ever make him the lead back, but they seemed locked into the committee, which more or less makes him TD-dependent for value too, as he's not likely to reach the 100 yard threshold on 12 carries.  Of course, you can say the same about our boy Crowell - with the exception of last week (during which, naturally, he was riding my bench.)

Seriously.

It's nearly time to take out both the SP and the political forum. These people are everything that is wrong with everything.
I was trying to contribute meaningfully and as a guy that rosters Crow but can't use him; I think the other guys are the same. I'm not sure your attitude is right in this respect, and I say that respectfully and cordially. I think the disagreement between the two people deserves a sort of dispassionate response. 

Peace, 

ra

Maybe; not sure if Mitch’s 1 game sold me, though.

Anyway, not trying to make this an asst coach post; just wanted to share the offer(s) I had for Crow.
So, ended up adding Kittle to Crowell to get Brees.

Side note; we finalized the trade early Wednesday, before there were any reports about Crows ankle.  Then other guy has been hinting on the league site that the trade should maybe reversed.?

Seriously.

It's nearly time to take out both the SP and the political forum. These people are everything that is wrong with everything.
Geez, sorry. I pointed out a flaw in someone's logic. As soon as I realized the guy just wanted to argue a strawman, I de-escalated it as quickly as possible (by utilizing ignore). Seemed like a relatively brief spat and it is over. 

I'm not going to say they are everything that it wrong with everything, but it is certainly possible that crybabies over-using hyperbole are part of what's wrong with some things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually popped in to post this:

From CBS:

Crowell (ankle) was spotted with a helmet at Friday's practice, Ethan B. Greenberg of the Jets' official site reports.

Crowell did not practice the last couple days due to his ankle injury, but he will have a chance to get in some work Friday, which bodes well for his availability for Week 6. The Jets will reveal Crowell's official status for Sunday's game against the Colts when Friday's practice comes to a close.
I think it's a good sign (better than riding a bike on the sideline or walking through drills) and with Hilton and Doyle out, it should at least be a close game. Hard to advise anyone to start him, though. If they get up by a lot or down by a lot, they could pull him due to this injury. No need to make it worse if the game is out of hand. Zero mention of him in Bremel's mid-week column. Maybe he'll talk about him in his gameday report. 

But something worth noting is that he's a pretty resilient player. He's played 69 out of 69 possible games, handling almost 900 touches in the process. He's also only 25 years old. So while I'm not sure I'll start him, I wouldn't be freaking out if he's my only option.

Bremel's game day expectations

In there he mentions that Crowell played late into the 4th quarter and "ended his day with a 36-yard run in which he cut aggressively on both ankles and was not tackled awkwardly." Implying that maybe there was never really a serious injury here.

The full comment in the article was generally positive.

Seriously.

Geez.  C’mon.  Just bypass the few posts.  You’re disciplined enough, right?  I love a good debate - I believe you get a lot more info out there when people are passionate about their positions rather than just regurgitating the same opinions repeatedly.

It just chaffs me when it gets personal and insults start flying.  Then I’ll dig in and call the poster out.  There’s no call for that kind if behavior here.

As to Crowell today, it seems worth noting that the Jets seem to have very few DBs capable of playing.  They’re waaaay down the depth chart in the D backfield.  If Luck starts torching what’s left of their secondary, that and the ankle could certainly affect Crowell’s opportunities.

So Powell left week 7 near the end of the 2nd quarter and Crowell still only played 46% of the snaps. I feel like he still can't be trusted. 

So Powell left week 7 near the end of the 2nd quarter and Crowell still only played 46% of the snaps. I feel like he still can't be trusted. 
Powell went on IR today, FF. He's out at least eight games.  

Per Roto and NYRAGE on this board.  

Powell went on IR today, FF. He's out at least eight games.  

Per Roto and NYRAGE on this board.  
Yeah, sorry, the Powell news is what I meant by he still can't be trusted. In the leagues in which I have both, I was hoping if one were to miss time the other would carry significant value. But with Powell's injury early in week 7 and Crowell's usage remaining constant, I don't feel like the injury actually helps Crowell much if at all.

Yeah, sorry, the Powell news is what I meant by he still can't be trusted. In the leagues in which I have both, I was hoping if one were to miss time the other would carry significant value. But with Powell's injury early in week 7 and Crowell's usage remaining constant, I don't feel like the injury actually helps Crowell much if at all.
I totally get what you're saying now. Sorry, man. Should have been obvious you were talking about Cannon. Just trying to help. But they were getting wiped by MN so they kept their COP back in. 

Well, hopefully this guy goes somewhere where he can possibly manage some FF RB2 numbers.  

Jets released Isaiah Crowell.

This was the expectation after the Jets added Le'Veon Bell. Signed to a "three-year, $12 million" deal last March, Crowell gained 685 yards and scored six touchdowns on 143 carries his only season in New York. With the top of the running back market signed, Crowell should quickly draw interest.

Well, hopefully this guy goes somewhere where he can possibly manage some FF RB2 numbers.  
I don't see many open spots left that wouldn't be better filled with a cheaper rookie - but the guy does have talent. I think his "mental" shortcomings are what's hurt him from being a consistent force.

I don't see many open spots left that wouldn't be better filled with a cheaper rookie - but the guy does have talent. I think his "mental" shortcomings are what's hurt him from being a consistent force.
Eagles, maybe. Definitely a possibility for the Bucs, who may not want to go into the draft with Ronald Jones or Peyton Barber top of the depth chart. Crowell isn't good, but at least he's not bad. 

His success rate and point expectancy rating for a starter is really, really low. 

Of guys with 500 or more carries, his point expectancy (that is, the expectation his team will score points when he rushes the football in normal situations) is only ahead of Alfred Blue. It's bad. 

Barnwell points out that of eligible backs, his success rate per rush was 46th out of 47th. That's also bad. 

He might just be a lousy back.  

His success rate and point expectancy rating for a starter is really, really low. 

Of guys with 500 or more carries, his point expectancy (that is, the expectation his team will score points when he rushes the football in normal situations) is only ahead of Alfred Blue. It's bad. 

Barnwell points out that of eligible backs, his success rate per rush was 46th out of 47th. That's also bad. 

Uh oh.  Red Alert!  Battle Stations!

I am curious. Do we know if these expectancy ratings take into account the ####tiness of the offense as a whole? So for example if a RB gets stuffed on 1st and 10, aren't the odds of a scoring drive a bit higher for a Brady/Rodgers led team (for example) than for what Cleveland was doing all those years and what the Jets did last year. Not trashing on either of those teams, but Crowell has always looked very good to me, and I wonder what he could do in a good offense. For the record I think both those offenses are pointed up, but certainly not under Crowell's tenures.

CH, HOU, IND and TB would be interesting landing spots.  OAK and MIA much less so.
My friends here in Houston tell me that the Texans owner, Bob McNair, is a  stickler for not bringing in anyone with character issues. That may or may not be true. I'm not sure they would take him after the cop comment controversy. His wiping incident probably wouldn't help either.

I am curious. Do we know if these expectancy ratings take into account the ####tiness of the offense as a whole? So for example if a RB gets stuffed on 1st and 10, aren't the odds of a scoring drive a bit higher for a Brady/Rodgers led team (for example) than for what Cleveland was doing all those years and what the Jets did last year. Not trashing on either of those teams, but Crowell has always looked very good to me, and I wonder what he could do in a good offense. For the record I think both those offenses are pointed up, but certainly not under Crowell's tenures.
Yeah, I do not think that the expectancy ratings are normalized for the entire offense.  I think that's a flaw in the methodology.  

Yeah, I do not think that the expectancy ratings are normalized for the entire offense.  I think that's a flaw in the methodology.  
Yeah ok. Well I'm not the biggest Crowell drum beater by any means but he is on my FFPC roster bubble on one team. If he gains value by going somewhere like Tampa, then I need to make a trade or two because I would hate to drop him or one of my other guys in his place. Dede Westbrook, Jordan Reed?

Teams with poor OLs & rookie QBs rarely produce RBs with outstanding numbers.  I find him to be a good, not great, RB.  IMO, that puts him about #24 when compared to the 32 starters in the NFL.  

My friends here in Houston tell me that the Texans owner, Bob McNair, is a  stickler for not bringing in anyone with character issues. That may or may not be true. I'm not sure they would take him after the cop comment controversy. His wiping incident probably wouldn't help either.
McNair died so he isn't running the team anymore.

Teams with poor OLs & rookie QBs rarely produce RBs with outstanding numbers.  I find him to be a good, not great, RB.  IMO, that puts him about #24 when compared to the 32 starters in the NFL.  
Yeah I think that's about right. So if he goes somewhere that can be a top 12 offense, maybe he can finish higher than 24? I don't think anyone is saying is great, but a high RB2 season seems reasonable to me if he goes to the right place. But as has been mentioned there aren't too many of those. 

Users who are viewing this thread