What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Pead (1 Viewer)

chinawildman

Footballguy
Why is this kid not in the conversation as the 2nd rb off the board? He looks much more impressive to me than all the other names mentioned. Game reminds me alot of Matt Forte. I would be very happy if the 49ers chose him with their 1st rounder. The more I watch, the more I become impressed.

Isaiah Pead Highlights

I like him too but he doesn't have prototypical RB size. Also I think he's projected to go in the 3rd. He likely will be drafted into RBBC.

I like him too but he doesn't have prototypical RB size. Also I think he's projected to go in the 3rd. He likely will be drafted into RBBC.
Watch for Steelers to take him, possibly as early as 2nd rd. They like him alot

Agree with the above. he's a very solid mid round guy.

Richardson and Martin are pro ready. pead needs year or two to develop. could he be a jamaal Charles?? Sure. like Charles, there's going to be some developmental time.

:goodposting: I like him as well, but the 3rd round seems like a reasonable spot for him. I could see him in the fantasy friendly spot in a RBBC, but I think he's too small to carry the load.

I agree, he's not a big guy but is tall enough to fill out his frame a bit. He certainly doesn't run "small" if that makes any sense and has experience running routes and receiving which is always valuable FF wise. Same dimensions as Jahvid Best (which doesn't exactly bode well for him) and will probably assume a similar role. I suppose that begs the question, given an RBBC, would you rather have the thunder or the lightning? Regardless, he's gonna be a fun one to watch next season.

Matt Forte? You can't be serious. Pead's vision isn't even close to Forte's. He ran mostly out of the shotgun in a spread offense. He's in the Jahvid Best/JJ Arrington/Chad Simpson mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Lesean Mccoy is a more appropriate comparison. Like the guy a lot, but value is tied too close to situation

Rams is a great spot IMHO. Be the starter in a year, two tops.
Don't forget who the head coach is. When Fisher was running the show in Tennessee he took running backs early three drafts in a row. Pead isn't exactly a bell cow back and seems destined for a RBBC once Steven Jackson moves on. It does seem like a very nice fit on the Rams though.

Rams is a great spot IMHO. Be the starter in a year, two tops.
Don't forget who the head coach is. When Fisher was running the show in Tennessee he took running backs early three drafts in a row. Pead isn't exactly a bell cow back and seems destined for a RBBC once Steven Jackson moves on. It does seem like a very nice fit on the Rams though.
Maybe he learned a lesson after blowing those picks on big RBs? Chris Johnson was the one he hit on and Pead is the same size.

Watching those highlights, Pead certainly looks like a guy who can really plant well and makes quick cuts at scrimmage and in the open field.

What really made me go :shock: though was his O-line -- they had forward impact and push on nearly every play, and were dominating off the line in pulls, sweeps and stretch plays.

How much of Pead's success at Cinci was really attributable to his blockers as opposed to him being a special talent in his own right who can excel at the next level? RBBC/COP seems right.

Barring injury, I see only 100 carries, 25 receptions, with no chance of being the future starter.

Wow! That seems like a really low ceiling. Considering that only an aging SJax stands in the way the starting role. The fact that Pead showed very well at the Senior bowl (MVP) leads me to believe that he will rise to the level of NFL competition. I am really starting to warm up to his potential.

:thumbup:

Wow! That seems like a really low ceiling. Considering that only an aging SJax stands in the way the starting role. The fact that Pead showed very well at the Senior bowl (MVP) leads me to believe that he will rise to the level of NFL competition. I am really starting to warm up to his potential. :thumbup:
Yes, those 8 carries for 31 yards for a YPC of 3.9 also convinced me Pead will have no issue rising up to the level of NFL competition.

Wow! That seems like a really low ceiling. Considering that only an aging SJax stands in the way the starting role. The fact that Pead showed very well at the Senior bowl (MVP) leads me to believe that he will rise to the level of NFL competition. I am really starting to warm up to his potential. :thumbup:
Yes, those 8 carries for 31 yards for a YPC of 3.9 also convinced me Pead will have no issue rising up to the level of NFL competition.
:P I am trying to wrap my head around the comments that Pead is too small for a starting role. He is 5-9 197# while ChJo is 5-11 191#. I am not comparing his potential to ChJo, only his size. So while Pead is a little shorter. he is stocky than ChJo. I am not about to lead the Pead bandwagon, only trying to understand the logic here.

So are we going to actually analyze this or just get mad at each other ?

He is now the second back behind a guy who is almost always hurting, and coming up on age 29. I think Pead will be given a bigger role if or when sjax gets hurt/retires/etc. If they were looking for strictly a CoP back for the future, there were other guys out there when they took him.

They could have waited and taken Lamichael James, in my opinion anyway.

I have watched his tape, and even though its highlight tape, he seems to be a hard runner for what they consider a CoP back

'JaYz0618 said:
So are we going to actually analyze this or just get mad at each other ?He is now the second back behind a guy who is almost always hurting, and coming up on age 29. I think Pead will be given a bigger role if or when sjax gets hurt/retires/etc. If they were looking for strictly a CoP back for the future, there were other guys out there when they took him.They could have waited and taken Lamichael James, in my opinion anyway.
I just took Pead at 1.09 for these reasons. I know it was a bit early (4th RB off the board, non-PPR), but I had him ranked real close with Hillman, Miller and James, and preferred his situation over the others. I also believe Pead can be a 280-300 touch back (240-250 carries, 40-50 catches).

'JaYz0618 said:
So are we going to actually analyze this or just get mad at each other ?He is now the second back behind a guy who is almost always hurting, and coming up on age 29. I think Pead will be given a bigger role if or when sjax gets hurt/retires/etc. If they were looking for strictly a CoP back for the future, there were other guys out there when they took him.They could have waited and taken Lamichael James, in my opinion anyway.
I just took Pead at 1.09 for these reasons. I know it was a bit early (4th RB off the board, non-PPR), but I had him ranked real close with Hillman, Miller and James, and preferred his situation over the others. I also believe Pead can be a 280-300 touch back (240-250 carries, 40-50 catches).
He just fell to me at 2.03 in a ppr setting dynasty, think i got a real good player there where there seems to be a large talent drop

'JAA said:
I think Lesean Mccoy is a more appropriate comparison. Like the guy a lot, but value is tied too close to situation
McCoy was a stud at Pittsburgh. Sometimes I wonder if people even watch College Football any more :doh:
McCoy was used more, but they had almost the same number of career carries.McCoy - 584/2816/35, 4.8 YPC, Receiving 65/549/1, 8.4 YPRPead - 545/3288/27, 6.0 YPC, Receiving 87/721/6, 8.3 YPR

'JAA said:
McCoy was a stud at Pittsburgh. Sometimes I wonder if people even watch College Football any more :doh:
McCoy was used more, but they had almost the same number of career carries.McCoy - 584/2816/35, 4.8 YPC, Receiving 65/549/1, 8.4 YPRPead - 545/3288/27, 6.0 YPC, Receiving 87/721/6, 8.3 YPR
Don't bring in facts! Lets just yell at people with our opinions :lmao:

I'm pretty surprised that Pead's stock hasn't increased more based on his landing spot. After he was drafted to StL I figured he'd end up in the 1.05 to 1.07 range but it looks like he's falling into the mid 2nd round in a lot of drafts. That's crazy to me. A 2nd round running back drafted to a team with a 29 year old oft-injured incumbent and a coach that loves to run and he ends up in the mid 2nd of rookie drafts? People must really not believe in Pead.

McCoy was 5-10, 198 (one pound more than Pead, though he claims he weight from the flu and was 204 at his Pro Day) at the combine and ran 4.48-4.53 times in the 40-yard dash as his Pro Day. He has put on 15 lbs. since then.

AnalysisPositives: Fast enough to get the corner and owns a second and third gear in the secondary. Excellent inside quickness, hitting the hole in a hurry when in the one-back set. Gets to top speed as quickly as any back in the country. Special vision for the cutback and in traffic. Plants his foot and accelerates. Very elusive in space, with shifty hips and an ability to juke or shake off a defender. Maintains his balance well after making a move or running through arm tackles on the outside. Runs with a lean inside, will bounce off tackles and keep his legs moving. Patient enough to allow blocks to develop on stretch plays to the outside. Very natural hands as a receiver; will excel on swing and screen passes. Uses his quick feet to run crisp out routes. Ultra-competitive; works hard in the film and weight rooms. Wants the ball on every play.Negatives: Doesn't have great size or the compact strength of elite backs. Must prove he can get the tough yard and not dance to try and break a big play when it's not there. Invites turnovers by running with the ball very loosely. Doesn't always switch the ball to the outside hand. Runs out of control at times. Some of those cutbacks will not work against the speed of NFL defenses. A liability in pass protection, throwing a shoulder instead of moving his feet to take on or even just get in the way of a rusher. Whiffs on his cut blocks against blitzing linebackers.Compares To: WARRICK DUNN, ex-Tampa Bay -- Some scouts liken McCoy to Pittsburgh's Willie Parker, but he doesn't have the same patience in following blocks or the outside running skills the Steelers tailback brings to the table. McCoy is bigger than Dunn, but both have made a nice living off exploding through holes between the tackles. Both are also very effective as receivers coming out of the backfield. His acceleration is in the category with Dallas' Felix Jones, but he lacks the deceptive power the Cowboy possesses.

I'm pretty surprised that Pead's stock hasn't increased more based on his landing spot. After he was drafted to StL I figured he'd end up in the 1.05 to 1.07 range but it looks like he's falling into the mid 2nd round in a lot of drafts. That's crazy to me. A 2nd round running back drafted to a team with a 29 year old oft-injured incumbent and a coach that loves to run and he ends up in the mid 2nd of rookie drafts? People must really not believe in Pead.
I wonder if people have even watched his tape because he talent jumps out at you. Not many RB's have his cutting ability and burst up the field.

He's not McCoy. More like a lighter, faster Baron Batch

looks anything like that I don't know what to say.

I wonder if people have even watched his tape because he talent jumps out at you. Not many RB's have his cutting ability and burst up the field.
Did you ever watch Noel Devine in college? How would you compare Pead's and Devine's college tape?

'JAA said:
You didnt answer my question ;)Have you watched both backs play? Most here know me as the resident BE pimper (now to the B12 ;) . Ive gotten to watch just about every BE NFL player quite a bit. Pead does not compare to McCoy. Just like Pead is closer to Donald Brown from a NFL player than McCoy.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a few years, but to me, Pead looks like a NFL back on tape. He runs in between tackles but also has the ability to bounce it out and make the long run. He rarely goes down on first contact and from what I see is a capable receiver out of the backfield.

I think there were better options available and I think Pead is generally over rated, but given where he was picked and who he was picked by this has late round 1 dynasty potential steal written all over it. If he falls to #12, I'm in.

As a UC fan, here is my take on Pead...

Strengths

1. Quick, decisive cuts as a result of trusting his eyes

2. Can make the 1st guy miss with a variety of moves

3. Understands how to get 3-4 yards inside without always trying to kick-out for the home run

4. Possible every down back (in between tackles runner, pass pro, receiving all there)

Weaknesses

1. Possible fumbling issues

2. Does his frame and running style mean durability issues? Played through some pain in college.

3. Trouble finding a role in NFL, (slower than the speed backs, smaller than the bell-cows)

'JAA said:
Just for the sake of debate. Here are a few other Big East Rbs:Donald Brown - 698/3800/33 5.4 YPC, 48/276/2 5.8 YPRNoel Devine - 728/4315/29 5.9 YPC, 98/710/2 7.2 YPROne thing you have to remember. McCoy played for a Pitt team that had a putrid O-line. Pead played for a Cinci team that had a decent O-line, not great, but better by far than Pitt's. I am a WVU honk, not in the pain-in-the-### type of way of JAA, but a honk nonetheless. I watched a number of BE games each year, not just WVU games. McCoy stood out to me when he played. I was worried when we played a bad Pitt team because McCoy was a game changer. Brown was a good back on an otherwise mediocre team, he never worried me. Pead was similar to Brown in that he was a good RB on an ok team. I was not worried about Pead beating WVU alone. I was always worried about McCoy that way. Pead is in a good situation, but I am not sold on his ability. Jackson has been an elite RB. I think if he goes down this entire team implodes, unless Bradford can keep it afloat. So far, he hasn't.

From what i am reading, you either like him or not. Seems to have been drafted into a good situation, so that alone warrants a decent pick for him. Just grabbed him at 2.05 in a 16 team IDP league, so well worth the risk at that stage.

'JAA said:
Just for the sake of debate. Here are a few other Big East Rbs:Donald Brown - 698/3800/33 5.4 YPC, 48/276/2 5.8 YPRNoel Devine - 728/4315/29 5.9 YPC, 98/710/2 7.2 YPROne thing you have to remember. McCoy played for a Pitt team that had a putrid O-line. Pead played for a Cinci team that had a decent O-line, not great, but better by far than Pitt's. I am a WVU honk, not in the pain-in-the-### type of way of JAA, but a honk nonetheless. I watched a number of BE games each year, not just WVU games. McCoy stood out to me when he played. I was worried when we played a bad Pitt team because McCoy was a game changer. Brown was a good back on an otherwise mediocre team, he never worried me. Pead was similar to Brown in that he was a good RB on an ok team. I was not worried about Pead beating WVU alone. I was always worried about McCoy that way. Pead is in a good situation, but I am not sold on his ability. Jackson has been an elite RB. I think if he goes down this entire team implodes, unless Bradford can keep it afloat. So far, he hasn't.
Your crazy if you think UC's OL was as good as sPitts.

He seems to be going early second round in 12 team rookie drafts. Which could prove great value if he ever does turn into a viable starter fantasy wise. As far as him ever being the bell cow, we will see, he wouldnt be the first back ever to bulken up to become a three down option. Fisher saw something and an mid second on a guy they view as a third down/cop back seems high. If thats all they were looking for, wouldnt common sense tell you to pull the trigger on Lamichael/hillman/etc later on ?

He seems to be going early second round in 12 team rookie drafts. Which could prove great value if he ever does turn into a viable starter fantasy wise. As far as him ever being the bell cow, we will see, he wouldnt be the first back ever to bulken up to become a three down option. Fisher saw something and an mid second on a guy they view as a third down/cop back seems high. If thats all they were looking for, wouldnt common sense tell you to pull the trigger on Lamichael later on ?
Did Fisher see something in Chris Henry when he took him in the second round (not first - thanks CDH)?Sometimes people see things they want to see. That includes you, me, and Fisher

He seems to be going early second round in 12 team rookie drafts. Which could prove great value if he ever does turn into a viable starter fantasy wise. As far as him ever being the bell cow, we will see, he wouldnt be the first back ever to bulken up to become a three down option. Fisher saw something and an mid second on a guy they view as a third down/cop back seems high. If thats all they were looking for, wouldnt common sense tell you to pull the trigger on Lamichael later on ?
Did Fisher see something in Chris Henry when he took him in the first round?Sometimes people see things they want to see. That includes you, me, and Fisher
Chris Henry went 2.18, but your point is still valid.

Did Fisher see something in Chris Henry when he took him in the first round?Sometimes people see things they want to see. That includes you, me, and Fisher
Chris Henry went 2.18, but your point is still valid.
As did Pead... :unsure:

every team would luv to have a Peterson or a Trent Richardson but not everyone can get one. with the nfl going more and more pass happy guys like Pead can make significant impact even if they aren't traditional starting workhorses. i know Jeff Fisher is a traditional ground and pound type coach but he's smart enuff to adapt and knows what he has in his young QB. He prolly knows he won't be winning the division or beating the 49ers anytime soon on the ground. Pead could see a sproles to a 'lighter' sproles workload in the future. his rookie year may not amount to much next year he will be a guy we'd all likely want to have stashed

Users who are viewing this thread