What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's a copycat league (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
Stud TE and Stud Dline are two I see teams leaning towards.

Stud TE, seems like supply is the issue so teams mainly have to do this through the draft.

Stud Dline, teams will have to use draft and FA to accomplish this because it would cost too much to do just through FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stud TE, seems like supply is the issue so teams mainly have to do this through the draft.
I'm not really sure this is a "trend" that can be followed. This season we saw two studs at the posiiton in Gronkowski and Graham - but it's not exactly like teams can just go out and say "we need one of those", just like they can't say "let's go get us an Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees". These two guys will dominate the position for a couple of years until the next "great" ones come around.It just happened that those guys were the two best targets/weapons that those teams had because their talent level was unique.Looking back there have been other dominant TEs in recent history:Antonio GatesJason WittenTony GonzalezDallas ClarkTodd Heap (briefly before injures got to him)Shannon SharpeThese guys didn't start a trend either - they were just special talents that were utilized by their respective teams.

Trying to find diamonds in the rough with athletic TE's, possibly with minimal football experience (probably basketball converts). This has been going on for a while now and seems likely to continue (Gonzalez, Gates, Graham... maybe their last name needs to start with G too?).

I could see more teams trying to implement schemes that utilize two receiving TE's more, given the success of NE this year. Trying to find size mismatches if they have two TE's that can catch.

Very few first rd selections of RB's. With committee approaches, it seems first rd picks are probably better used on other positions now.

Athletic QB's. The recent success of guys like Vick and now Newton (and to some extent Tebow) is really opening the door for other QB's that maybe have less-than-traditional skill sets at the position.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'netnalp said:
I'm not really sure this is a "trend" that can be followed. This season we saw two studs at the posiiton in Gronkowski and Graham - but it's not exactly like teams can just go out and say "we need one of those", just like they can't say "let's go get us an Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees". These two guys will dominate the position for a couple of years until the next "great" ones come around.It just happened that those guys were the two best targets/weapons that those teams had because their talent level was unique.Looking back there have been other dominant TEs in recent history:Antonio GatesJason WittenTony GonzalezDallas ClarkTodd Heap (briefly before injures got to him)Shannon SharpeThese guys didn't start a trend either - they were just special talents that were utilized by their respective teams.
Sharpe/Gonzalez absolutely started a trend. The TE as a regular part of the pass-catching offense had been dead for years before the success of those two led others to look for big, athletic guys who could line up in a 3-point stance, and also catch.I think there are more opportunities now where NFL scouts will be looking for undersized linemen who can catch, or oversized receivers who can block, to fill the role that those guys are filling in the NFL now. The success of guys like Gates and Gronkowski suggests that there are untapped talent pools out there.

The cover 2 is what has brought the TE into prominence.

The new trend will be hybrid LB/Safeties who will be used to try and cover these more athletic TE's.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'netnalp said:
I do see teams going two-deep on solid TEs

I think we'll see more manipulating of rules. Two instances come to mind. Of course, this has always been around, but seems like coaches are more willing to openly do this than in the past.

1) The twelve men on the field in the Super Bowl near the end of the game. It may have been a mistake, but it was brilliant in its way. Sure, you can't do it every play, but pick a spot to do it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm willing to give an extra five yards if it means a ten second run off when there's like 20-30 seconds left in a tight game with the opposition trying to mount a drive. (Personally, I think this was entirely intentional myself).

2) The David Akers to Michael Crabtree TD pass. Harbaugh and company found a minor loophole in the rules and caught the Rams napping.

Another one I think we'll see is jumbo packages with one, two, and even three lineman reporting as eligible receivers. The niners did this with quite a bit of success this year, going so far as to using defensive tackles in some formations. Of course, a lot has to do with the talent of the players, but I suspect we'll see more of this. Not a huge trend, just more.

The dual TEs seems like a good idea on paper, but I just don't think most teams are going to be able to find two top TEs like NE. I think we'll see more of what Schwartz did in DET, with a second TE as a viable option in the offense, especially in the red zone, rather than putting up elite numbers throughout the year.

I think teams would be wise to start trending towards receivers with the ability to make leaping catches over the middle. The way that penalties are being called on defenseless receivers makes throwing the ball over the middle where jumping catches can be made a much better option than it use to be. It has changed the size and shape of the windows balls can be forced into.

I think the Packers carried like 5 TEs into the season. They are all athletic, but just didn't have the talent of New England's. It makes it tough to match up. You trot out three TEs, bring them in tight and then shift out if you like the matchups. Makes it very difficult on linebackers and safeties. And if you stick a dime in there to stop the pass, they just put pull in tight and push you back like a snowplow.

Short passing game

All of the top offenses have at least one very good short-distance receiving threat. Whether that's a TE, a slot WR, or RB doesn't seem to matter much.

Sharpe/Gonzalez absolutely started a trend. The TE as a regular part of the pass-catching offense had been dead for years before the success of those two led others to look for big, athletic guys who could line up in a 3-point stance, and also catch.I think there are more opportunities now where NFL scouts will be looking for undersized linemen who can catch, or oversized receivers who can block, to fill the role that those guys are filling in the NFL now. The success of guys like Gates and Gronkowski suggests that there are untapped talent pools out there.
I would say that Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura were the ones that teams should have emulated long before now.

The new trend will be hybrid LB/Safeties who will be used to try and cover these more athletic TE's.
This. In the next couple years I see NFL scouts scouring colleges for Urlacher type LBs - guys who have the speed to play safety in the college game, but the height and strength to play a light & fast cover LB in the NFL - one that can cover these basketball TEs.

This. In the next couple years I see NFL scouts scouring colleges for Urlacher type LBs - guys who have the speed to play safety in the college game, but the height and strength to play a light & fast cover LB in the NFL - one that can cover these basketball TEs.
I understand why basketball players are more apt to play TE than any other position, but I wonder if we'll see some converts from basketball to LB/S.

Short passing game

All of the top offenses have at least one very good short-distance receiving threat. Whether that's a TE, a slot WR, or RB doesn't seem to matter much.
Is this a real change? The 49ers in the mid 80s dominated based on the same principles.

Will we see more hybrid DT/DE that can play anywhere on the line like Tuck? If so, that could lead to more athletic Olines to handle the faster players or maybe teams go bigger and just push the lighter defenders off the line.

I think we'll see more manipulating of rules. Two instances come to mind. Of course, this has always been around, but seems like coaches are more willing to openly do this than in the past. 1) The twelve men on the field in the Super Bowl near the end of the game. It may have been a mistake, but it was brilliant in its way. Sure, you can't do it every play, but pick a spot to do it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm willing to give an extra five yards if it means a ten second run off when there's like 20-30 seconds left in a tight game with the opposition trying to mount a drive. (Personally, I think this was entirely intentional myself).
Couldn't a defense use this "loophole" with a couple of different penalties? For example, let's say after the snap of the ball, all defensive players in coverage blatantly held all potential receivers, dragging them to the ground. A defensive holding penalty would be called but the time would still come off the clock, no? I'd think it would be the same thing with an off sides penalty that resulted in a sack or incomplete pass.

I think we'll see more manipulating of rules. Two instances come to mind. Of course, this has always been around, but seems like coaches are more willing to openly do this than in the past. 1) The twelve men on the field in the Super Bowl near the end of the game. It may have been a mistake, but it was brilliant in its way. Sure, you can't do it every play, but pick a spot to do it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm willing to give an extra five yards if it means a ten second run off when there's like 20-30 seconds left in a tight game with the opposition trying to mount a drive. (Personally, I think this was entirely intentional myself).
Couldn't a defense use this "loophole" with a couple of different penalties? For example, let's say after the snap of the ball, all defensive players in coverage blatantly held all potential receivers, dragging them to the ground. A defensive holding penalty would be called but the time would still come off the clock, no? I'd think it would be the same thing with an off sides penalty that resulted in a sack or incomplete pass.
I've always thought that telling all your DBs to hold would be good strategy with 8-11 seconds left in the first half when the offense is inside the 10 yard line.As to the 12 men on the field, perhaps it becomes a trend, but the Giants weren't attempting something innovative. The 12th man was running off the field as the play began, just like happens the majority of the time when this penalty gets called on the defense.

The TE thing may gain traction in the years to come. I agree with some of the earlier posts in that it is hard to find and draft a stud TE, but I don't believe we have yet seen some of these teams attempt to manufacture a one. I am sure their are more than a few WR's that are athletic and have good hands, but are being held back because of things such as route running or speed, something along those lines that prevents them from standing out in comparison to other WR's. However, if any of those guys can block a little and jump, they may make great TE's. I don't have a crystal ball or anything so I can't say for sure this will start showing up. But If enough teams start running their offenses through their TE's - the ones w/o a standout TE will start doing anything to get themselves' one.

I think we'll see more manipulating of rules. Two instances come to mind. Of course, this has always been around, but seems like coaches are more willing to openly do this than in the past. 1) The twelve men on the field in the Super Bowl near the end of the game. It may have been a mistake, but it was brilliant in its way. Sure, you can't do it every play, but pick a spot to do it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm willing to give an extra five yards if it means a ten second run off when there's like 20-30 seconds left in a tight game with the opposition trying to mount a drive. (Personally, I think this was entirely intentional myself).2) The David Akers to Michael Crabtree TD pass. Harbaugh and company found a minor loophole in the rules and caught the Rams napping. Another one I think we'll see is jumbo packages with one, two, and even three lineman reporting as eligible receivers. The niners did this with quite a bit of success this year, going so far as to using defensive tackles in some formations. Of course, a lot has to do with the talent of the players, but I suspect we'll see more of this. Not a huge trend, just more. The dual TEs seems like a good idea on paper, but I just don't think most teams are going to be able to find two top TEs like NE. I think we'll see more of what Schwartz did in DET, with a second TE as a viable option in the offense, especially in the red zone, rather than putting up elite numbers throughout the year.
Interesting take ( #1) above..I was surprised that the rule allows for the time to come off the clock,even though it *should* have been a dead play before the snap of the ball :shrug: ..but for what it's worth,even without the clock losing 10+ seconds on this play, the Pats still failed to make it past the 50 yard line on that final drive, so this play wasn't a deciding factor in the outcome of the game. they simply couldn't move the ball.if you watched the Niners/Giants regular season game, and in particular, the Giants drive at the end of the game, you saw a stroke of genius from Harbaugh - there was a play that clearly was a completed pass, but Harbaugh threw the red flag to challenge the call on the field.after review, and some 3-4 minutes later, the refs upheld the call..why is it important? the Giants were wearing down the Niners defense ( hurry up offense and fast-paced offense)...they were beating them all over the place, the Niners were winded..so a timeout gets them ,what, 30 seconds, whereas a coach's challenge gives his team 4 minutes as they review the play upstairs..I thought it was BS when I saw it live ( I'm a Giants fan) but came to realize it's just pure genius..he bought his defense 3+ minutes using the rules..:thumbup:as for the copycat thing, I think more teams will copy the Giants ( rotating stockpile of D-linemen) and/or the Niners - rotating stockpile of D-linemen + tough as they come run-stuffing LB's and a quality secondary and most importantly, a mean running game..I also think that at some point, teams are going to realize that scoring in just 6 plays is too fast, too easy, and perhaps not such a good thing ( Saints, Pats, Packers, etc). it leads to their defenses not getting enough rest between series, thus their performance suffers - perhaps that's one reason why the Pats and Packers each had defenses ranked at the bottom of the NFL? we're more likely to see teams going back to the ground game,ball control,take time off the clock,keep opposing offenses on the bench,and less of the chuck-n-duck, run-n-shoot offenses like Ne,Gb, N.O., etc..the Stud RB might be coming back rather than becoming a dying breed..

The cover 2 is what has brought the TE into prominence. The new trend will be hybrid LB/Safeties who will be used to try and cover these more athletic TE's.
I think this is a trend that's already a few seasons old now. More and more hybrid schemes are employing these tweeners to cover TE's and still wreak havoc on safety blitzes. A liability against the run usually, but more teams have been employing this strategy. Also, I'll add another trend that I see happening. The end of the shut-down corner. With the new rules in place that call a penalty on the CB for just about any ticky tack contact, the CB's are going to be taught to go for the ball and attack it for the INT and risk getting burned and recover and make the tackle. CB's are going to be prized for being able to make the open field tackle and take chances trying to make a play. The rules just don't favor the CB in stride for stride coverage anymore. Those days are over.

Users who are viewing this thread