What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

Funny Patriots fans pulling out their old rings because they wont be getting any this year. Not even conference rings. Nope. Who cares about New England anyways. They are eliminated. Lets focus on teams still playing. Denver!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
He also led a 3-score comeback including the game winning drive at the end in a 38-34 win in the AFC Championship game to get to the Super Bowl that year.
Same story as always. If you re-define "clutch situations" or "big games" to only games where Peyton lost, then yes he always loses them. If he'd failed to lead that game winning drive at the end of that AFC Championship game then it would have been a "clutch situation" and "big game". Since he did win it, it suddenly becomes neither.

Once people get a reputation for this stuff early in their career the rest of it writes itself. Like a few years ago when Brady set the NFL record for most failed game winning drives in a single NFL season, but the one time he did successfully lead one it was "vintage Tom Brady" and no one even mentioned all the failed attempts. Had it been Peyton, the narrative would have been completely reversed and the successful one would have been ignored while all the failed ones were harped on.
Case in point: Tom Brady has now thrown 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in the AFCCG. (Not counting the INT on the game-tying 2pc attempt.) Big deal, so what, someone asks? Well, I agree. Big deal, so what. It's a weird and contrived sample, and a small one at that. But if that was a Peyton Manning stat, how much do you want to bet it's all we'd ever hear about every time Peyton made it to the AFCCG? Suddenly that fits the narrative and it's a very interesting bit of info.

He also led a 3-score comeback including the game winning drive at the end in a 38-34 win in the AFC Championship game to get to the Super Bowl that year.
Same story as always. If you re-define "clutch situations" or "big games" to only games where Peyton lost, then yes he always loses them. If he'd failed to lead that game winning drive at the end of that AFC Championship game then it would have been a "clutch situation" and "big game". Since he did win it, it suddenly becomes neither.

Once people get a reputation for this stuff early in their career the rest of it writes itself. Like a few years ago when Brady set the NFL record for most failed game winning drives in a single NFL season, but the one time he did successfully lead one it was "vintage Tom Brady" and no one even mentioned all the failed attempts. Had it been Peyton, the narrative would have been completely reversed and the successful one would have been ignored while all the failed ones were harped on.
Case in point: Tom Brady has now thrown 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in the AFCCG. (Not counting the INT on the game-tying 2pc attempt.) Big deal, so what, someone asks? Well, I agree. Big deal, so what. It's a weird and contrived sample, and a small one at that. But if that was a Peyton Manning stat, how much do you want to bet it's all we'd ever hear about every time Peyton made it to the AFCCG? Suddenly that fits the narrative and it's a very interesting bit of info.
Damn.

I think we would make a bigger deal of it because we would have the most important aspect of it all in the back of our minds in knowing that Tom Brady has won 4 Super Bowls and been in 6. Manning has won "just" 1 and been in three. That is really all that is important as we compare two of the most iconic QBs in the history of the game who happened to pretty much play their entire careers at the same time (making it easier to compare the two than say Montana Vs. Brady). The fact that they played in the same conference and thereby playing against the exact same competition this whole time, for the most part, just adds to that.

So, really, it would all be boiled down to us manufacturing in our minds why that stat and those numbers were important in justifying the 4 SB vs. 1, etc (whether it makes any sense or not).

To me, it matters little because I watched the games and I know when and where each of these QBs were critical and instrumental in their teams getting to their respective places in these games. I can separate the two and realize that Trent Dilfer might be 100% in SBs and may have been the QB on one of the most dominating teams I've seen...yet he still pales in comparison to me to Jim Kelly who was 0-4 in the Big game. I know talent and value and what it means outside a funny number.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Manning go out with a win. No matter what, my season became glorious the second that the Pats lost.
Must be rough having to wait until the next to last game before your season felt great.

There are certain teams I like to see not win it all so I get it but I don't hold my breath waiting for those dominos to fall before I enjoy the rest of the season.

This Pats fan hopes that Peyton gets his second ring. It would be an amazing end to an amazing career. Go get 'em, 18.
I'm not so sure he's done. I think he's done with the Broncos after this year but I could see him going elsewhere next year for a year (or 2).

So, really, it would all be boiled down to us manufacturing in our minds why that stat and those numbers were important in justifying the 4 SB vs. 1, etc (whether it makes any sense or not).
Well for starters one is a player stat and the other is a team stat.

Peyton has always melted in clutch situations and the big games. This is his last chance to change that legacy.
Didn't he win a Super Bowl?
the haters love ignoring that little fact.
Eh, Mannings SB win came on the heels of a top defense that year. I don't think Otis is being a hater but he has a semi-valid point. Especially when compared to Eli.
Yes that defensive juggernaut that was the 21st ranked Indianapolis Colts.
They had a strong defensive run through the playoffs. I recall thinking a few injuries were healed up, etc... My memory may be incorrect but that was my recollection of it.
Meh. They played two mediocre, at best, offenses; home vs KC (15th points/16th yards), at Baltimore (12th/17th), gave up 34 at home to Brady and the Pats (7th/11th) before facing Chicago (2nd/15th).

Conversely the defenses that Manning faced were ranked (points/yards), 11th/16th, 1st/1st, 2nd/6th & 3rd/5th. Oh and his starting RBs were Dominic Rhodes & Joseph Addai.

Pretty amazing that Peyton has now made the Super Bowl with four different head coaches. :shock: :shock:

In fact, getting to the Super Bowl with Jim Caldwell as his head coach might be the crowning achievement of his career. :lol:

It's undoubtedly time, but game will miss him. They don't come any classier. Glad he got the opportunity to start in these playoffs. Will be rooting for him to end up on top.

Peyton Manning told Bill Belichick this season "might be my last rodeo" on the field after the AFC Championship Game.
Manning and Belichick did not discuss what was said after the game, but NFL Network audio picked up Manning's side of the conversation. "Hey, listen, this might be my last rodeo," Manning said. "So, it sure has been a pleasure." Manning has already admitted he is considering retirement, and it is very likely the Super Bowl will be his final game regardless of the result.

Source: Pro Football Talk

Pretty amazing that Peyton has now made the Super Bowl with four different head coaches. :shock: :shock:

In fact, getting to the Super Bowl with Jim Caldwell as his head coach might be the crowning achievement of his career. :lol:
That is a really good point. Isn't Kurt Warner the only other QB to start the SB for even two different teams?

That is a really good point. Isn't Kurt Warner the only other QB to start the SB for even two different teams?
I think earl morral did. But icould be wrong
While Morral was instrumental in the Dolphins undefeated season winning 9 starts, he never threw a pass in either the Super Bowl win for the Dolphins (and he wasn't on the team for the one they lost in '72.

It's undoubtedly time, but game will miss him. They don't come any classier. Glad he got the opportunity to start in these playoffs. Will be rooting for him to end up on top.

Peyton Manning told Bill Belichick this season "might be my last rodeo" on the field after the AFC Championship Game.
Manning and Belichick did not discuss what was said after the game, but NFL Network audio picked up Manning's side of the conversation. "Hey, listen, this might be my last rodeo," Manning said. "So, it sure has been a pleasure." Manning has already admitted he is considering retirement, and it is very likely the Super Bowl will be his final game regardless of the result.

:goodposting: It's clear as day that Manning and Belichick both have unmeasurable respect for the other. I am sure both consider the other their greatest foe ever.

Not sure. I'd have to look it up.

:goodposting: It's clear as day that Manning and Belichick both have unmeasurable respect for the other. I am sure both consider the other their greatest foe ever.

Not sure. I'd have to look it up.
I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Craig Morton started Super Bowl V for Cowboys and Super Bowl XII for Broncos

Craig Morton started Super Bowl V for Cowboys and Super Bowl XII for Broncos
Did he? How about that?

Pfft. I got a better one:

Wade Phillips is the DC of the Broncos in the Super Bowl, for the 2nd time.

Last time was 26 years ago.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Peyton Manning has "told close friends" that he'll retire following Super Bowl 50.

Conventional wisdom says this is it for Manning. He'll be 40 next month and experienced a sharp decline at the end of last season that carried over into 2015. Manning's arm is simply shot after 10,384 passing attempts across 18 seasons in the league. If the Broncos win Sunday, it's a virtual lock Manning will call it a career. Either way, Sunday is likely his final game.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Feb 1 - 6:53 PM

Pfft. I got a better one:

Wade Phillips is the DC of the Broncos in the Super Bowl, for the 2nd time.

Last time was 26 years ago.
The Broncos are staying in the same hotel where Kubiak watched the draft the year he (and Elway) were drafted. Also, the same hotel where he and his wife went for their first anniversary.

This Pats fan hopes that Peyton gets his second ring. It would be an amazing end to an amazing career. Go get 'em, 18.
I'm not so sure he's done. I think he's done with the Broncos after this year but I could see him going elsewhere next year for a year (or 2).
I hope not, it is selfish reasons, but I hate seeing all time greats look this bad and stay around for records, or trying to win one more super bowl. I don't want to see Brady look like this, or Rodgers, Brees etc. I have a bad feeling that Manning is going to be the poster boy on why parents won't want their kids to play football in 10 years.

I may be getting my threads confused (or at least some of the finger pointing going on in a lot of recent threads), but here is a breakdown of how all QBs that appeared in championship games or SBs have fared since 2000. The numbers listed are only for AFCCG, NFCCG, and SB games. Both Brady and Peyton have been pretty much even and in the middle of the back based on QB passer rating (which admittedly is a flawed metric, but a metric nonetheless).

Code:
Player	        W	L		TD	INT		RatingCam Newton	1	0		2	1		117.4Matt Ryan	0	1		3	1		114.8Drew Brees	2	1		7	1		100.8Alex Smith	0	1		2	0		97.6Mark Sanchez	0	2		4	1		97.1Kurt Warner	4	2		12	6		95.7C Kaepernick	1	2		3	3		90.4Russell Wilson	3	1		6	5		87.8Joe Flacco	2	2		8	4		87.7Brett Favre	3	4		14	8		87.6Matt Hasselbeck	1	1		3	1		86.1Eli Manning	4	0		5	1		85.9Peyton Manning	5	3		12	9		84.9Tom Brady	10	6		25	16		84.0Trent Dilfer	2	0		2	1		81.8Brad Johnson	2	0		3	2		81.3Jake Delhomme	1	2		5	3		79.3Steve McNair	1	2		2	1		77.5Aaron Rodgers	2	1		4	4		76.8Roethlisberger	5	2		8	10		76.3Donovan McNabb	1	5		9	9		72.9Rex Grossman	1	1		2	2		70.7Rich Gannon	1	3		6	7		68.9Jake Plummer	0	1		1	2		66.4Caleb Hanie	0	1		1	2		65.2Kerry Collins	1	2		6	8		61.1Drew Bledsoe	2	1		3	5		58.2Michael Vick	0	1		0	1		46.5Philip Rivers	0	1		0	2		46.1Kordell Stewart	0	2		1	6		43.5Carson Palmer	0	1		1	4		43.2Bobby Hoying	0	1		0	2		32.0Jay Cutler	0	1		0	1		31.8Andrew Luck	0	1		0	2		23.0D Culpepper	0	1		0	3		13.7

I hope not, it is selfish reasons, but I hate seeing all time greats look this bad and stay around for records, or trying to win one more super bowl. I don't want to see Brady look like this, or Rodgers, Brees etc. I have a bad feeling that Manning is going to be the poster boy on why parents won't want their kids to play football in 10 years.
I've thought he's looked pretty good in the playoffs.

I've thought he's looked pretty good in the playoffs.
I only watched him play New England, but i thought he looked scared and terrible. Peyton has never been the most mobile quarterback, but like Brady he was good enough to slide in the pocket to buy him an extra second to get the ball away. Against the Patriots he just look to duck and cover as soon as the pressure came, the one play that sticks out to me was the play where he got back up and threw the ball. In my opinion he was so scared to take a hit that he saw a Patriot defender coming that he went to the duck and cover and he is smart enough to realize that he was wrong and that player wasn't close enough to him to even touch him down. I said the reasons were selfish and the fact is this isn't Peyton Manning anymore, he is barely a game manager.

Even if I were to say he looked good in the playoffs, if you take the last full year he has played.( the few games in the playoffs, the handful of regular season games this year and the end of last year). He is a below average quarterback, with above average intelligence.

Has any Fantasy QB been less-owned the season he made the Super Bowl than Peyton? I cut him as the 3rd QB in like week 8. By the end of the season, I can't imagine he was owned in half of leagues, maybe as low as 20%.

If he wins, he's gotta be the least-owned winning SB QB ever.
Trent.Dilfer.

Has any Fantasy QB been less-owned the season he made the Super Bowl than Peyton? I cut him as the 3rd QB in like week 8. By the end of the season, I can't imagine he was owned in half of leagues, maybe as low as 20%.

If he wins, he's gotta be the least-owned winning SB QB ever.
Trent.Dilfer.
I was about to say the same thing. You could make an argument for some injured guys too. Jeff Hoestler, maybe Rex Grossman?

Users who are viewing this thread