What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

This just isn't a Peyton decision, this is an identity decision for the team and all of its free-agents.

I really think Dem Thomas is the key player in all this. If I am Dem Thomas and know Manning has one year left what is my real attraction to staying in Denver? If Dem Thomas wants to get the most money, have his choice of teams in free agency and move on then why would the Broncos organization delay moving on from Manning?

ETA: I suppose they could franchise Dem Thomas to keep him around against his will for one year to be paired with Manning one last time.
I feel like i'm missing something in this world where top receivers don't want to play with one of the best QBs ever.

:confused:
Bay Bay's decision just isn't about next year. If Bay Bay signs a long-term contract then it means he will be in Denver for ~5 years.

Does he want to play with Manning for one year and then questionable QBs for the remainder, or would he rather bypass one year with Manning for five years with a young franchise QB of his choosing?
that makes more sense but what teams with QBs he might like have the cap room? Seattle? Carolina?

I still think DT is either franchised or signs a long term deal with Denver. JT will be gone (IMO)

This just isn't a Peyton decision, this is an identity decision for the team and all of its free-agents.

I really think Dem Thomas is the key player in all this. If I am Dem Thomas and know Manning has one year left what is my real attraction to staying in Denver? If Dem Thomas wants to get the most money, have his choice of teams in free agency and move on then why would the Broncos organization delay moving on from Manning?

ETA: I suppose they could franchise Dem Thomas to keep him around against his will for one year to be paired with Manning one last time.
I feel like i'm missing something in this world where top receivers don't want to play with one of the best QBs ever.

Bay Bay's decision just isn't about next year. If Bay Bay signs a long-term contract then it means he will be in Denver for ~5 years.

Does he want to play with Manning for one year and then questionable QBs for the remainder, or would he rather bypass one year with Manning for five years with a young franchise QB of his choosing?
that makes more sense but what teams with QBs he might like have the cap room? Seattle? Carolina?

I still think DT is either franchised or signs a long term deal with Denver. JT will be gone (IMO)
I honestly think that Archie won't let him go to the NFC since Eli is there and it would ruin the odds of both brothers trying to make it to a Super Bowl. Buffalo may be his best shot if Elway dumps him. He needs a team with a strong defense to help him.

Last edited by a moderator:

I honestly think that Archie won't let him go to the NFC since Eli is there and it would ruin the odds of both brothers trying to make it to a Super Bowl. Buffalo may be his best shot if Elway dumps him. He needs a team with a strong defense to help him.
I'll play along but vote Houston.

Won't happen (PM leaving Denver and playing elsewhere this year), but it's fun to speculate.

I feel like i'm missing something in this world where top receivers don't want to play with one of the best QBs ever. :confused:

Peyton might play more than 1 more year.

I don't think Denver would ever get rid of Manning because they do not hve anyone else ready to play. It's manning's decisiion. I wonder how much of his poor play was the leg injury and how much was just his neck/shoulder/old age. Does he put too much stress on other parts of his body to throw now? Is an end of the year injury inevitable now? Can he throw deep now? Brady won with a short game vs Seattle but he still was a threat to throw long. Does Manning even pose a threat to throw long now?
The problem is Manning is selfish and likes his stats. There have been many a game where he could or should have come off the field late in the game and give Osweiler some regular season playing time but didn't.
That's a problem every other team with an aging QB has had.

There's no other examples of aging QBs leaving games regularly to give some young guy PT, so why should Manning?
What other aging QBs have regular opportunities like the Broncos do? The Saints weren't leading games big in the 4th quarter. The Patriots probably had about 3-4 games after they righted the ship where they could have sneaked in some Jimmy G time and, I think they did at least twice. Mr. butkus has a really good point. The Broncos, more than any other team in the league the past 2 years have found themselves in a situation where they were winning big with some really good amount of time left in the game where they could have gotten in some valuable playing time for their other Qbs and they wasted the chances.

Now they have to live with those decisions. When you see scores like 49-27,41-23,52-20,45-21, 51-28,37-13, you have to wonder why on Earth an aging QB that means so much to the team and has an injury risk isn't sitting the last 7 or 8 minutes out and letting the team see what they got in their other players.

The answer comes back to Manning. Nobody has the nutsack to stand up to him and listen to him whine about how he needs those reps for continuity (which is really just a thinly veiled way of saying he wants that extra 100 yards and a TD to pad stats).

I've always liked Manning and I know fantasy owners LOVE guys like Manning that never come off the field, even when they are leading 49-27 and still throwing BUT it hurts the real life team. It just does.
The Broncos aren't the first team to ever have a lead, and no QB wants to come out of a game. I think enough fans have been repeating this for years, that's it's become a 'truth' everyone just agrees with. It's a silly argument. It just is.

Espn radio commenting that he met with Elway today, saying he's mentally and physically ready to play next year. Apparently retirement wasn't even mentioned.

So now the question becomes, are the Broncos still in win now at all costs mode? Or do they take Manning by the collar and say, look we've got to get our young guy some reps. Does Manning become a 20 mill. transitional QB?

We know how PM operates. Osweiler will see almost no 1st team snaps if Manning has his way. But surely Denver has to start thinking a little about the future don't they? Are they super sure they were just a head coach away from a title? (a head coach ffs!)

What if Manning starts slowing down earlier this year?

Lordy, it's been a loopy ride for Payton Manning these last five years.

Edit: What if Elway just says no. "We're starting a new three year plan right now, Payton, and we can spend your money better elsewhere." Elway swings big...

So now the question becomes, are the Broncos still in win now at all costs mode? Or do they take Manning by the collar and say, look we've got to get our young guy some reps. Does Manning become a 20 mill. transitional QB?

We know how PM operates. Osweiler will see almost no 1st team snaps if Manning has his way. But surely Denver has to start thinking a little about the future don't they? Are they super sure they were just a head coach away from a title? (a head coach ffs!)

Edit: What if Elway just says no. "We're starting a new three year plan right now, Payton, and we can spend your money better elsewhere." Elway swings big...
Now that would show me Elway has the b***s. Part of me thinks Manning is putting the heat on Denver and wants to keep his salary and lucrative commercial deals that would dry up if/when he retires. Gota think maybe Manning is thinking of his well being over the team with the possibility of loosing good free agents or Payton sees him being super QB again. Tough situation in Denver either way.

Now that would show me Elway has the b***s. Part of me thinks Manning is putting the heat on Denver and wants to keep his salary and lucrative commercial deals that would dry up if/when he retires. Gota think maybe Manning is thinking of his well being over the team with the possibility of loosing good free agents or Payton sees him being super QB again. Tough situation in Denver either way.
This is a great test for Elway. Is he more loyal to Manning or his teams longterm future.

The team isn't winning a SB paying Manning god knows how much this season, they need cap room to sign some players to have a real shot. If Manning really is serious about a SB he needs to take a massive paycut for the good of the team.

This is a great test for Elway. Is he more loyal to Manning or his teams longterm future.

The team isn't winning a SB paying Manning god knows how much this season, they need cap room to sign some players to have a real shot. If Manning really is serious about a SB he needs to take a massive paycut for the good of the team.
Weren't they just in the SB two years ago with a very similar team (but no Von Miller or DeMarcus Ware) and looking even better this year before Peyton got hurt?

Sanders, Demaryius, Julius, Ware, Miller, Talib. How many impact players does one team need?

Look at the players who came up big in the Super Bowl this year. Chris Matthews, Deon Butler, Julian Edelman. What Denver needs is a coach that gets the most out of his players like Carroll/Bellichick do.

Weren't they just in the SB two years ago with a very similar team (but no Von Miller or DeMarcus Ware) and looking even better this year before Peyton got hurt?

Sanders, Demaryius, Julius, Ware, Miller, Talib. How many impact players does one team need?

Look at the players who came up big in the Super Bowl this year. Chris Matthews, Deon Butler, Julian Edelman. What Denver needs is a coach that gets the most out of his players like Carroll/Bellichick do.
Manning 2 years ago is a completely different player. If this team is serious about a SB they need manning to take a huge payout to sign some extra talent to give them a shot.

Well, they've got Kubiak. Is he a Parcells, who can come in and take a team on a run right away? He's one of those coaches who definitely does things one way. He's brought in Dennison and Phillips -- it's Houston all over again.

BTW: How this came up was I heard Matt Williamson speculate that all Denver has to do is fail Manning on his physical and they're free and clear. No dead money on the cap, nothing.

Manning 2 years ago is a completely different player. If this team is serious about a SB they need manning to take a huge payout to sign some extra talent to give them a shot.
Is he? He looked like exactly the same player 2 months ago. The wall will come for him soon but I'm not convinced that's what we saw. I think it's much more likely that his injury was affecting him than it is that he suddenly got old, literally overnight in the middle of the season.

People hit the wall fast, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone do it from one week to the next like the cliff Peyton fell off this year.

Is he? He looked like exactly the same player 2 months ago. The wall will come for him soon but I'm not convinced that's what we saw. I think it's much more likely that his injury was affecting him than it is that he suddenly got old, literally overnight in the middle of the season.

People hit the wall fast, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone do it from one week to the next like the cliff Peyton fell off this year.
could be, but age creeps up quickly. the guy he was at the end of the season lost all his arm strength. Maybe it was due to injury (hopefully not the neck), but i can't get those butterfly passes out of my mind. He really looked bad.

If he actually can't throw deep anymore he will be easy to defend and paying him whatever he's getting 15-20 mill? will be a killer to improving the team to becoming a legit SB contender. If he's more about the SB than breaking records he should sacrifice and take a pay cut, but we all know that's never been his style.

could be, but age creeps up quickly. the guy he was at the end of the season lost all his arm strength. Maybe it was due to injury (hopefully not the neck), but i can't get those butterfly passes out of my mind. He really looked bad.

If he actually can't throw deep anymore he will be easy to defend and paying him whatever he's getting 15-20 mill? will be a killer to improving the team to becoming a legit SB contender. If he's more about the SB than breaking records he should sacrifice and take a pay cut, but we all know that's never been his style.
I agree that if he's the guy we saw at the end of the season then he's not worth a Peyton Manning salary, and paying him as much would be detrimental to the team.

That's where we differ I guess, as I don't think that's who he'll be. Like I said I can remember many people falling off a cliff from one season to the next, but I can't remember anyone playing like the league MVP for 10 weeks of the season and then suddenly turning into Brian Hoyer in week 11 due to age. When that happens it's usually an injury.

I agree that if he's the guy we saw at the end of the season then he's not worth a Peyton Manning salary, and paying him as much would be detrimental to the team.

That's where we differ I guess, as I don't think that's who he'll be. Like I said I can remember many people falling off a cliff from one season to the next, but I can't remember anyone playing like the league MVP for 10 weeks of the season and then suddenly turning into Brian Hoyer in week 11 due to age. When that happens it's usually an injury.
you could definitely be right, but he has tons of money. if he really wants to win a SB he should sacrifice to make the team around him better. I guess i just find it kind of sick that he's gonna happily take his 20 million a year to the detriment of the rest of the team if his true goal is to go out on top.

Just kind of annoying he's not willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team. i think his main goal is the records, not winning another SB.

you could definitely be right, but he has tons of money. if he really wants to win a SB he should sacrifice to make the team around him better. I guess i just find it kind of sick that he's gonna happily take his 20 million a year to the detriment of the rest of the team if his true goal is to go out on top.

Just kind of annoying he's not willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team. i think his main goal is the records, not winning another SB.
You find it "sick that he wants to be paid? Maybe it's sick if they actually pay him then if they don't think he is worth it.

But since they likely do think he is worth it, they will pay him. I have no idea how someone can think it is "sick" that Manning will accept what the Broncos are willing to pay him.

As for sacrifice, um, he is sacrificing his body quite a bit. Dude is an old man out there risking life in a wheelchair. That sick *******.

Espn radio commenting that he met with Elway today, saying he's mentally and physically ready to play next year. Apparently retirement wasn't even mentioned.
Rotoworld:

Peyton Manning - QB - Broncos

Citing team and league sources, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Peyton Manning has informed the Broncos he is "physically and mentally prepared" to play football "at a significant level" in 2015.

The sides met Thursday in Denver. PFT's Mike Florio previously reported Manning would make a decision on his future next week, but it sounds like he's already decided. Per Mort, Manning did not express that retirement was an option for him during Thursday's sitdown with GM John Elway and CEO Joe Ellis. We would be stunned if Manning wasn't Denver's 2015 quarterback.

Source: ESPN.com

Feb 13 - 6:20 PM

You try throwing a football down field with a torn quad or whatever his injury was.

Having said that, Peyton is getting older and nagging injuries will creep up more as he nears 40, so it's a crapshoot to hope he stays healthy for 16 games plus the playoffs, but is it a risk worth taking? Yes.

Will Osweiler be a free agent after this year? That has to be taken into consideration. You can't pay him long-term and keep Manning. If you think Osweiler is your QB of the future then you might have to let Manning walk. He's been "in training" for 3 years. I think this decision is more on Osweiler than Manning.

If Manning told Elway that he's coming back, then this basically a re-do of the last three years.

Meaning: Win now. There's no caveats, no potential Manning release, nothing is different, except maybe there is more urgency this year as it maybe feels like a true last hurrah with Manning.

The Broncos will do everything in their power to win one with Manning, including hoping against hope that his body lasts. They might not all be optimisic that he holds up, but the odds being against Manning staying healthy isn't the reason you blow everything up, and turn the reins over to Brock freaking Osweiler.

Once Manning is gone, the team will have to re-evaluate where they are as a team, but it'll be a lot easier to do that if they have a Lombardi trophy in the lobby.

This team looked great all year. Great. You hold that together as long as you can.

Saying no to Manning isn't even a consideration.

If Manning told Elway that he's coming back, then this basically a re-do of the last three years.

Meaning: Win now. There's no caveats, no potential Manning release, nothing is different, except maybe there is more urgency this year as it maybe feels like a true last hurrah with Manning.

The Broncos will do everything in their power to win one with Manning, including hoping against hope that his body lasts. They might not all be optimisic that he holds up, but the odds being against Manning staying healthy isn't the reason you blow everything up, and turn the reins over to Brock freaking Osweiler.

Once Manning is gone, the team will have to re-evaluate where they are as a team, but it'll be a lot easier to do that if they have a Lombardi trophy in the lobby.

This team looked great all year. Great. You hold that together as long as you can.

Saying no to Manning isn't even a consideration.
Except that they fired their HEAD COACH! (not yelling at you -- just still kind of shocked) That's not a re-do. I'm still wondering what happened there. Was it a measured decision or did they just blow up at each other in a meeting.

And now Kubiak's the guy who's the win-in-the-playoffs expert? Based on what?

Lot of weird in Denver, really. If they put another good season together, Manning goes up even further in my estimation -- and he's pretty high up there already

Does anybody follow Vegas enough to remember if Broncos Superbowl odds went up or down with the coaching stuff?

Will Osweiler be a free agent after this year? That has to be taken into consideration. You can't pay him long-term and keep Manning. If you think Osweiler is your QB of the future then you might have to let Manning walk. He's been "in training" for 3 years. I think this decision is more on Osweiler than Manning.
I like oz as much at anyone but you play to win this year, not wonder what your backup qb will do. Favre was a different circumstance with his timing. I can't imagine anyone saying "yeah, Peyton wants back but we like this qb with 30 career passes better." Unless the timing were such that oz had been training all off season as the starter.

as a Browns fan i'd love to have Peyton Manning.

wish him all the luck next season.
He wouldn't go near you. Where would he think he could win?How about Buffalo?
maybe?but despite what most may think, Cleveland with Manning is a playoff team, easy.
:lmao: yeah ok.
______ with a healthy Manning is a playoff team. Not sure if that's what you are laughing at or not.

You find it "sick that he wants to be paid? Maybe it's sick if they actually pay him then if they don't think he is worth it.

But since they likely do think he is worth it, they will pay him. I have no idea how someone can think it is "sick" that Manning will accept what the Broncos are willing to pay him.

As for sacrifice, um, he is sacrificing his body quite a bit. Dude is an old man out there risking life in a wheelchair. That sick *******.
I agree that he is risking his health out there, and he is easily worth 20M if healthy. Hell, elite qbs are probably worth way more than 20M.

But on a scale of SB ring equity and dollars, he could take the slight $ hit and go for the last ring without it impacting his quality of life after football.

maybe?but despite what most may think, Cleveland with Manning is a playoff team, easy.
______ with a healthy Manning is a playoff team. Not sure if that's what you are laughing at or not.
No sorry. CLE is so dysfunctional it would be an unmitigated disaster.

No sorry. CLE is so dysfunctional it would be an unmitigated disaster.
CLE was damn near a playoff team with Bobby Hoyer. They were only a dysfunctional and unmitigated disaster once Manziel and Gordon were on the field. Neither would be the case with Peyton in 2015 (not that that's going to happen, but still...)

Maybe he's referring to the old stand up comic routine where the high school coach just called everybody Bobby. "Come on, Bobby@!"

I like oz as much at anyone but you play to win this year, not wonder what your backup qb will do. Favre was a different circumstance with his timing.I can't imagine anyone saying "yeah, Peyton wants back but we like this qb with 30 career passes better." Unless the timing were such that oz had been training all off season as the starter.
I think it's pretty much the same timing as Favre. Is Oz a free agent after this year. Are you willing to spend a 2nd rounder on a guy, keep him for 4 years and never give him a chance? Then...do you let him walk and be a starter on another team?

I like oz as much at anyone but you play to win this year, not wonder what your backup qb will do. Favre was a different circumstance with his timing.I can't imagine anyone saying "yeah, Peyton wants back but we like this qb with 30 career passes better." Unless the timing were such that oz had been training all off season as the starter.
I think it's pretty much the same timing as Favre. Is Oz a free agent after this year. Are you willing to spend a 2nd rounder on a guy, keep him for 4 years and never give him a chance? Then...do you let him walk and be a starter on another team?
Mallett was a 3rd rounder, but the Pats did exactly that.

Timing in the off season. Favre retired in march, he was talking about coming back in July. things would have been different if he had decided in February to come back.And yes, you do risk letting him walk if you have Peyton Manning. Although I think they would resign him next year if PM retired next Season.

Mallett was a 3rd rounder, but the Pats did exactly that.
They've been doing that since they've had Brady. Hoyer, Mallett, Cassel...

edit: When you've got your guy, you can grow them for assets.

Rotoworld:

Peyton Manning - QB - Broncos

SI's Peter King says the Broncos "definitely" want Peyton Manning back.

"Take that to the bank," King writes. Manning met with the Broncos last week, telling them he's ready to play football again in 2015. Despite last season's precipitous final-month decline, he's clearly their best option at quarterback. Let's not forget that in Weeks 1-13 when Manning was healthy and the weather was fair, he compiled a 36:9 TD-to-INT ratio and had the Broncos at 9-3. Peyton's $21.5M cap number in 2015 is not overly excessive or cumbersome.

Related: Brock Osweiler

Source: SI.com

Feb 16 - 11:01 AM

You've had a pretty good look at the guy in practices etc... over 3 years. I'd imagine they have a decent idea what kind of QB he is. If they have him rated as a fringe starter. Then yeah you definitely let him go. If they have him as a future average starter I think you still go with Peyton. If they think he'll be above average then you go with Osweiler.

You've had a pretty good look at the guy in practices etc... over 3 years. I'd imagine they have a decent idea what kind of QB he is. If they have him rated as a fringe starter. Then yeah you definitely let him go. If they have him as a future average starter I think you still go with Peyton. If they think he'll be above average then you go with Osweiler.
This is fascinating to me. I so want to see Oz just to see if he's any good. And I've held him in dynasty since drafting him in round 5 of a rookie draft 3 years ago :bag:

This is fascinating to me. I so want to see Oz just to see if he's any good. And I've held him in dynasty since drafting him in round 5 of a rookie draft 3 years ago :bag:
so have i, though as a backup to Peyton. Then I traded Peyton and thought I was smart for keeping Oz.

Why does Peyton need leverage?

He and his agent are already on record as saying he doesn't want to make more than Brady (in fact he was supposedly pissed when he found he was making more) and he sure as hell doesn't deserve more, so whats the problem? He already has more money than god, how much does he need?

Take the 4-5 mil haircut, hope you can make it thru the year healthy, help the Broncos hold on to their FAs and make a sb run.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said Wednesday at the Combine that there is "no doubt" Peyton Manning will be the Broncos' quarterback in 2015.

Kubiak said he's visited with Peyton "often" in recent weeks, and Manning has been "very positive" about continuing his playing career. Kubiak also made it clear he will install a "Broncos offense" specific to Peyton, rather than trying to fit Manning into Kubiak's historically bootleg-heavy scheme. Although Manning disappointed severely at his first-round ADP last year, there's a good chance he'll be a value pick in 2015 fantasy leagues. We've witnessed Peyton go as late as the seventh and eighth rounds of early MFL10 best-ball drafts.

Source: Kevin Patra on Twitter
Feb 18 - 11:01 AM

Users who are viewing this thread