What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J. Charles vs C.Johnson (1 Viewer)

Syx

Footballguy
Does anyone think that they compare favorably.

They seem to have a similar skill set, can JC be CJ next year?

I don't mean 2K yards, but maybe 1500?

I love Charles' skills, be interesting to see what he could do in the right offense.

But no, I don't think it's a fair comparison. CJ can kill you in any offense, I think.

Jamal Charles actually has excellent vision from what I see. But doesn't have quite as low a center of gravity as Johnson and definitely doesn't have his acceleration or quickness in and out of cuts. No one hits top speed as quickly as Johnson and no one has a higher top speed. But Chris Johnson-light is an apt nickname for Charles.

If the question is whether Charles will put up a Johnson season next year, no.

If the question is whether Charles could put up a 1500 yard season, it's worth pointing out that he's averaging 101 yards a game over the past 7 when he has been starting. I don't think 1500 is a lock by any means (far too many flashes in the pan to guarantee anything), but it's a definite possibility.

Heard someone compare the two on Sirius. Can't remember who said it for the life of me, but he was talking about how they were both rangier than your typical RBs.

Before anyone shoots this down as an impossibility - let's just remember that Charles is doing this with a pretty mediocre OLine while CJ has one of the league's best. The Chiefs should have a top 5 pick this year - correct?

Heard someone compare the two on Sirius. Can't remember who said it for the life of me, but he was talking about how they were both rangier than your typical RBs. Before anyone shoots this down as an impossibility - let's just remember that Charles is doing this with a pretty mediocre OLine while CJ has one of the league's best. The Chiefs should have a top 5 pick this year - correct?
Yea they do, and they will most likely go LT with that pick from the mock drafts i've been looking at. I think Charles has a great chance at 1500 next year if he is healthy, is the starter, and gets the bulk of the carries. (a lot of if's)He is averaging something like 120+ total yards a game as a starter if i'm not mistaken.

They are similar players. They both have track star speed, but are real football players who will block hard and fight for tough yards inside.

Johnson is faster, but that's no slight against Charles. He's one of the faster guys in the league as well.

It's hard to compare them directly because the Titans' offensive line is so much better than the Chiefs'. Charles has been really impressive running behind an offensive line that made Larry Johnson look terrible.

Johnson just looks like he's in a separate stratosphere from everybody else right now. But it'd be fun to do the experiment of having them switch teams and see what happens.

Johnson just looks like he's in a separate stratosphere from everybody else right now.
Exactly. No slight to Charles. I always thought Charles had pretty nice RB instincts in college, he isn't just a track guy. But CJ is just real special. Man, I really dismissed him as a rookie. Ooof.

Does anyone think that they compare favorably.They seem to have a similar skill set, can JC be CJ next year?I don't mean 2K yards, but maybe 1500?
In my humble estimation, Jamaal Charles is more comparable to Steve Slaton than Chris Johnson. To answer your last question, it is certainly possible that he could get 1500 yards rushing/receiving with a full season of a full workload. Despite his stature, he actually was a workhorse at UT. Problems back then were questionable hands and extreme fumble-itis. The fumble-itis is still a major concern. All that being said, I am a fan (huge UT homer), and I do own him in a dynasty league.

Last edited by a moderator:
123 yards/game as a starter and his fumbling is overstated (he's lower-middle of the pack for RBs this year).

The Chiefs have so many holes that they'd be kind of crazy not to roll with Charles for 2010.

I like Charles a lot, but comparing him to Chris Johnson is a bit much IMO. Johnson is a one-of-a-kind talent. Maybe you could say they share some similar skills but Charles just isn't on the same level as Johnson.

Still, I think he could put up 1500+ yds next season if he's the guy.

Tennessee's OL gives CJ hole after hole that Charles doesn't even dream of. Unless and until the Chiefs get a couple new OL that can run-block, Charles won't be in the same galaxy as CJ.

Tennessee's OL gives CJ hole after hole that Charles doesn't even dream of. Unless and until the Chiefs get a couple new OL that can run-block, Charles won't be in the same galaxy as CJ.
Here is the correct answer it is all about the blocking.

I just wonder if it isn't one of those "once in a lifetime" years for CJ. He has looked phenominal.

Charles' numbers this year are very similar, if not better than CJ's last year (taking into account that Charles wasn't the starter for a while).

An interesting tidbit: Charles has the same amount of 100 yard games (3) in the past 3 weeks as Peterson has for the entire season.

All in all, I do not think Charles is as good as CJ right now - But not so sure that he wont be eventually.

I wish I could go back and find my posts from a couple years ago saying that Charles was the second best back in that draft and a lot of folks called me a moron.... Granted, I missed on who was the best back in the class, but I knew that Charles was the second best!

Charles was the MVP of my championship team. I doubt he is as good as CJ but every year half of the top 10 rbs lose their spot. Charles showed me enough to think, he could be a top 10 rb next year. If the Oline gets better this offseason, and if he is the primary ball carrier = WATCH OUT.

Here is the correct answer it is all about the blocking.
Blocking is not only about the OL. If we are talking only OL that'd get you maybe 4 yards. The rest is SPEEEED

Users who are viewing this thread