What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jags send Peterson home? Expalanation forthcoming (1 Viewer)

FFdork

Footballguy
Saw this linked on Fanball but didn't see it here. Interested to know what's going on.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/11/05/...rs-Peterson.php

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.: Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio sent linebacker Mike Peterson home Wednesday, two days after Del Rio questioned his team's chemistry.

Peterson was not at practice, and officials said Del Rio planned to release a statement regarding the situation later Wednesday.

Peterson, who leads the Jaguars with 85 tackles, did not return a phone call seeking comment. The former Florida standout is in the final year of his contract and felt slighted when the Jaguars didn't offer him an extension in the offseason.

It was unclear what led to Peterson's dismissal, which came as the Jaguars (3-5) try to rebound from consecutive losses to Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think they will release him? I have Daryl Smith, this would be awesome if Smith had a better chance to make more plays.

You think they will release him? I have Daryl Smith, this would be awesome if Smith had a better chance to make more plays.
Daryl Smith has never been particularly productive inside. On the other hand, this is huge for Justin Durant, who would move into an every-down role and immediately assume LB3+ value.

Quote from after practice:

“Mike Peterson was sent home today and did not practice. We’re working through this process seeking an appropriate conclusion.” --- Jack Del Rio

I thought Peterson was a leader on that team, but I guessthey've deiced that they don't want him back, so he's expendable.

People need to pay close attention to this situation because if Durant gets moved to the middle at any point this season he's a must-add.

Peterson was 'banished' from practice for talking back to Del Rio.

Apparently Del Rio was calling out players, and Del Rio made it clear he doesn't want any of the players to talk back to him. He called out Peterson for celebrating a sack in the 3rd quarter when the Jags were down 21-3, then Peterson talked back saying he was trying to bring energy to the team.

Del Rio still hasn't decided on how to punish Peterson.

Last edited:
Peterson was 'banished' from practice for talking back to Del Rio.

Apparently Del Rio was calling out players, and Del Rio made it clear he doesn't want any of the players to talk back to him. He called out Peterson for celebrating a sack in the 3rd quarter when the Jags were down 21-3, then Peterson talked back saying he was trying to bring energy to the team.

Del Rio still hasn't decided on how to punish Peterson.
Sending him to his room yesterday wasn't enough? Maybe he should take away his favorite stuffed animal or send him to bed tonight without dessert.Can't believe this is the explanation on this. :goodposting:

Keep chopping wood, Coach.

I would love to see Durant become the vocal point of that defense. He was one a very good option last year when Peterson was out. Please keep us updated.

I would love to see Durant become the vocal point of that defense. He was one a very good option last year when Peterson was out. Please keep us updated.
That's what got Peterson in trouble - you speak up, you go to your room without dessert.
I think he means becomes leader of the team... no player should back talk the coach. Good job by Del Rio; I don't know if Peterson is a problem player like 85 or TO... but good job for one coach to shut a player up.I bet they let MP come back tomorrow, point made.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.: Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio sent linebacker Mike Peterson home Wednesday, two days after Del Rio questioned his team's chemistry.

Peterson was not at practice, and officials said Del Rio planned to release a statement regarding the situation later Wednesday.

Peterson, who leads the Jaguars with 85 tackles, did not return a phone call seeking comment. The former Florida standout is in the final year of his contract and felt slighted when the Jaguars didn't offer him an extension in the offseason.

It was unclear what led to Peterson's dismissal, which came as the Jaguars (3-5) try to rebound from consecutive losses to Cleveland and Cincinnati.
85 Tackles??? What am I missing here? He's been somewhat of a disappointment in my league, and by our scoring he has 41 solos and 7 assists. How does that add up to 85 tackles??? :confused: If he had 85 tackles he'd be leading the league wouldn't he?

85 Tackles??? What am I missing here? He's been somewhat of a disappointment in my league, and by our scoring he has 41 solos and 7 assists. How does that add up to 85 tackles??? :rolleyes: If he had 85 tackles he'd be leading the league wouldn't he?
Teams award tackles much differently than the stadium stat crews do. That number probably includes every time Peterson has had a hand on the ballcarrier, whether he was responsible for the tackle or not.

Yeah, I remember yars ago when we had just started IDP and Jesse Solomon played for the Cowboys. He was a pretty good producer, but the Cowboys took it as a point of pride to show that he had at least ten tackles a game. They would go back through game tapes until they had found some way to justify at least a tenth one every game. This was a problem for us doing research back in those days, as you can imagine! I think Jessie Tuggle was probably the worst--Atlanta had him credited with way more tackles than the box scores and some poors sucker would grab him too early every year!

Yeah but Tuggle still scored well. I had Solomon when he was with the Vikes, he was a good scorer. I remember Eugene Lockhart having a big year back in that time frame. Dino Hacket (KC) was another player who had numbers balooned, think his Mom was on the stat crew along with his sister and blind Uncle. :thumbup:

We would save the USA Todays and use them as our source for tackles/assist for the following year. Man ... was that alot of work to put an IDP cheatsheet together! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot all about Eugene Lockhart--a trip down memory lane! Remember David Fulcher?!

Speaking of putting your cheat sheet together, one summer another owner and I split the AFC and NFC between us and hand calculated all the tackles in the previous season. That was a) a huge advantage during draft and b) back before I had kids!

RommelDAK said:
I forgot all about Eugene Lockhart--a trip down memory lane! Remember David Fulcher?!

Speaking of putting your cheat sheet together, one summer another owner and I split the AFC and NFC between us and hand calculated all the tackles in the previous season. That was a) a huge advantage during draft and b) back before I had kids!
I'll send ya a pm

Users who are viewing this thread