What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best (1 Viewer)

That I saw - but just scared it might be coachspeak. Curious what a doctor's opinion is, as that is more important. Many times coaches say they are confident in their player, yada yada. Just scares me that the double turf toe wasn't really known and then just sort of announced in the game.
maybe you should send over your personal podiatrist to have a look. c'mon, what is wrong with some of you people.

Has anyone heard anything? This situation is very weird to me. He has turf toe - then all of a sudden it was reported he had it on both feet (but referred to like we all knew that weeks ago). I did not know that weeks ago. What does everyone think? Will this linger all year? Or is it healed simply from a bye week?
It was reported a few weeks ago that he had turf toe on both feet. I think it will linger all season since he hasn't rested enough for it to completely heal.
:lmao:
How is what I said fishing? There were reports a few weeks ago saying he had turf toe on both feet, look it up. I said I think his turf toe will linger all season. Saying I think is giving an opinion, not fishing.

Has anyone heard anything? This situation is very weird to me. He has turf toe - then all of a sudden it was reported he had it on both feet (but referred to like we all knew that weeks ago). I did not know that weeks ago. What does everyone think? Will this linger all year? Or is it healed simply from a bye week?
It was reported a few weeks ago that he had turf toe on both feet. I think it will linger all season since he hasn't rested enough for it to completely heal.
Wasn't it just mentioned above that he is, in fact, almost 100%?
The Lions coach said in his press conference that Best isn't 100% healthy and probably won't be until after the season, but nobody is 100% healthy, and Best is on the right track, and is closer to putting it behind him as a daily thing. He also said the rest has been good for him, and they will see on Sunday how well the last two weeks have been for him.

That I saw - but just scared it might be coachspeak. Curious what a doctor's opinion is, as that is more important. Many times coaches say they are confident in their player, yada yada. Just scares me that the double turf toe wasn't really known and then just sort of announced in the game.
maybe you should send over your personal podiatrist to have a look. c'mon, what is wrong with some of you people.
I don't understand this comment. I am legitimately trying to figure out Best's value from this point on. He started great, but fell off considerably. The fall off coincides with toe problems. I know what his coach said, but I am more curious what others say (ie, reporters who watched him at practice seeing if he looks like he did in early Sept; or a doctor who examined the improvement he may have made; or even his own opinion on how he felt after practice).Why be a wiseguy with sarcasm about a "personal podiatrist" and continue with useless/meaningless comments like "what is wrong with some of you people"?Perhaps you should ask yourself that question for deciding it would be fun to attack someone on cyberspace for really just wanting to know a specific football player's situation...while asked on a fantasy football forum.

Another conflicting report?

(TheHuddle) Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best (toe) was limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 27, according to DetroitLions.com. Analysis: He'll probably continue to be limited on Wednesdays but it's not a big deal. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Best is close to putting his turf toe injury in the "rear-view mirror." Look for a rejuvenated Best - coming off the bye week rest - on the field vs. the Redskins.

I don't understand this comment. I am legitimately trying to figure out Best's value from this point on. He started great, but fell off considerably. The fall off coincides with toe problems. I know what his coach said, but I am more curious what others say (ie, reporters who watched him at practice seeing if he looks like he did in early Sept; or a doctor who examined the improvement he may have made; or even his own opinion on how he felt after practice).Why be a wiseguy with sarcasm about a "personal podiatrist" and continue with useless/meaningless comments like "what is wrong with some of you people"?Perhaps you should ask yourself that question for deciding it would be fun to attack someone on cyberspace for really just wanting to know a specific football player's situation...while asked on a fantasy football forum.
so now a reporter knows better than a coach?

thehornet said:
Hear-the-Footsteps said:
thehornet said:
Hear-the-Footsteps said:
so now a reporter knows better than a coach?
Most reporters? No.Some? Yes.You don't have a few that you trust? A few that actually watch pre-season and in-season practices? That go to camp to see who looks good and who doesn't. Most write to get paid - sure. Most write about something just to look good. But some write about what they truly see - ie, So-and-So looks to have a lost a step from just 3 weeks ago, yada yada. Some beat guys actually follow the team. If a trustworthy guy says he noticed some limping in Best - I believe him.

Hear-the-Footsteps said:
thehornet said:
Hear-the-Footsteps said:
Jeez dude, relax. You're not going to get a report of the doctor's visit with him. For now, you'll have to take the coaches and reporters words for it and judge for yourself. Not sure what you expect here unless you think someone from the Detroit medical staff frequents this board.

the spanker said:
Another conflicting report?

(TheHuddle) Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best (toe) was limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 27, according to DetroitLions.com. Analysis: He'll probably continue to be limited on Wednesdays but it's not a big deal. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Best is close to putting his turf toe injury in the "rear-view mirror." Look for a rejuvenated Best - coming off the bye week rest - on the field vs. the Redskins.
I think too many people read into this wrong too often. Limited, in a lot of cases, means that the coaching staff limited his participation, not necessarily that he was limited by his injury.

left out of that 100% comment is the follow up in which he said that no football player is ever 100% during the season.

Best says he is feeling close to 100%

Jahvid Best-RB- Lions Oct. 29 - 1:32 pm et

Jahvid Best (toe) said Friday that he finally feels "definitely close" to 100 percent.

Best admitted that turf toe on both feet "limited him recently," saying he couldn't feel it but could "see it on film." Best is right -- leading up to the Lions' Week 7 bye, his burst and first-step quickness didn't seem to be all the way there. The off week should get Best back to being a true homerun hitter.

Best says he is feeling close to 100%Jahvid Best-RB- Lions Oct. 29 - 1:32 pm et Jahvid Best (toe) said Friday that he finally feels "definitely close" to 100 percent.Best admitted that turf toe on both feet "limited him recently," saying he couldn't feel it but could "see it on film." Best is right -- leading up to the Lions' Week 7 bye, his burst and first-step quickness didn't seem to be all the way there. The off week should get Best back to being a true homerun hitter.
If this is true, he should be in for a big week against the Skins.I still think the Lions need a big back, a change of pace back either in FA or later in the draft to help compliment Best. Best is not a 20-25 per game type of guy, he's just not. If he does do it for a game, if he does it for a 2nd game, the wear and tear on the guy is too much. He just won't make it 16 games, he won't make it 8 games. He needs to touch the ball about 15 times a game, he needs someone else who can come in and move the pile.Yes, Best can run between the tackles. I'm a Best fan, I'm a Lions fan, if they want to keep this guy on the field, the plan can't be to give the ball to Best 20-25 a game for 16 games, it's just not going to happen.

Best says he is feeling close to 100%Jahvid Best-RB- Lions Oct. 29 - 1:32 pm et Jahvid Best (toe) said Friday that he finally feels "definitely close" to 100 percent.Best admitted that turf toe on both feet "limited him recently," saying he couldn't feel it but could "see it on film." Best is right -- leading up to the Lions' Week 7 bye, his burst and first-step quickness didn't seem to be all the way there. The off week should get Best back to being a true homerun hitter.
If this is true, he should be in for a big week against the Skins.I still think the Lions need a big back, a change of pace back either in FA or later in the draft to help compliment Best. Best is not a 20-25 per game type of guy, he's just not. If he does do it for a game, if he does it for a 2nd game, the wear and tear on the guy is too much. He just won't make it 16 games, he won't make it 8 games. He needs to touch the ball about 15 times a game, he needs someone else who can come in and move the pile.Yes, Best can run between the tackles. I'm a Best fan, I'm a Lions fan, if they want to keep this guy on the field, the plan can't be to give the ball to Best 20-25 a game for 16 games, it's just not going to happen.
Points irrelevant atm, they have Smith and they will use him, they may draft a RB next year early but who knows, going into an 18 game season is gonna change their offense completely.

If you predict his stats within 10 yards I'll start listening. Til then you made a blanket statement and got lucky. It was like picking a freshman girl and saying "I bet she gains some weight"

Freshman in high school or freshman in college? One is an easy call, the other not so easy.

If you predict his stats within 10 yards I'll start listening. Til then you made a blanket statement and got lucky. It was like picking a freshman girl and saying "I bet she gains some weight"

You call it luck. I call it an informed decision. You take risks on players like this in the early rounds and wonder why you didn't make the playoffs in your league. I don't. Take care now. :confused:

He started great, but fell off considerably. The fall off coincides with toe problems.
:pickle:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.Week 2: 17 carries for 78 yds, 2 TDs9 catches for 154 yds, 1 TD- Monster game. High impact.Week 3: 7 carries for 26 yds2 catches for 13 yds- Awful gameWeek 4: 12 carries for 50 yds5 catches for 34 yds1 fumble lost- Mediocre gameWeek 5: 17 carries for 59 yds4 catches for 37 yds- Mediocre gameWeek 6: 12 carries for 16 yds6 catches for 31 yds- Mediocre gameSo again, when exactly did he "start out great"? Looks like he's had exactly one great game the whole season so far.

monkeysee said:
Clifford said:
You call it luck. I call it an informed decision. You take risks on players like this in the early rounds and wonder why you didn't make the playoffs in your league. I don't. Take care now. :popcorn:
So unlike him you know why you didn't make the playoffs?

Does monkeysee send everyone else annoying messages gloating about this. If Best was healthy it would be one thing, but it is as if he is gloating over an injured player.

:loco:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.
Yea because every time a RB has scored 2 TDs in his first NFL game it's considered subpar. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does monkeysee send everyone else annoying messages gloating about this. If Best was healthy it would be one thing, but it is as if he is gloating over an injured player.
He sent me 4-5 in one day. I think Monkeysee is about 11-12 and just doesn't know any better. He reminds me of little kids that try to use cusswords before they know what they mean.

:confused:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.
Yea because every time a RB has scored 2 TDs in his first NFL game it's considered subpar. :rolleyes:
jafo - this is still the Shark Pool, no? Sharks realize that TDs are highly variable, sorry if you aren't on board with that yet. You'll get there someday.So let me get this straight: you would say that Best had a great game in week 1, despite rushing 14 times for 20 yards, and catching 5 passes for 16 yards. 36 total yards for the day, you think that was a standout performance. Help me understand if I've misinterpreted you.

:confused:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.
jafo - this is still the Shark Pool, no? Sharks realize that TDs are highly variable, sorry if you aren't on board with that yet. You'll get there someday.So let me get this straight: you would say that Best had a great game in week 1, despite rushing 14 times for 20 yards, and catching 5 passes for 16 yards. 36 total yards for the day, you think that was a standout performance. Help me understand if I've misinterpreted you.
Well, you can't just leave off the 2 Td's he ran in. Even though Td's are variable, for a RB that at least shows us he was going to be the guy who's running them in for the Lions when they do. Considering everything, that being his first NFL start of his pro career, I would say it was a good day.

He started great, but fell off considerably. The fall off coincides with toe problems.
:confused:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.Week 2: 17 carries for 78 yds, 2 TDs9 catches for 154 yds, 1 TD- Monster game. High impact.Week 3: 7 carries for 26 yds2 catches for 13 yds- Awful gameWeek 4: 12 carries for 50 yds5 catches for 34 yds1 fumble lost- Mediocre gameWeek 5: 17 carries for 59 yds4 catches for 37 yds- Mediocre gameWeek 6: 12 carries for 16 yds6 catches for 31 yds- Mediocre gameSo again, when exactly did he "start out great"? Looks like he's had exactly one great game the whole season so far.
You added the "NFL perspective" part.From a FF perspective (which is assumed that that is what people are referring to on a FF forum), everyone here would take week 1 every week, especially in PPR. 36 yards, 2 TDs, 5 receptions. Seeing as though in just about every league a td = 6 pts; I don't think Best owners were upset in week 1.In PPR, that means he scored over 20 in week 1. That's great. That's his first NFL game ever!In week 2, he put up about 50. That's even better.I stick by "he started out great."Weak move to dismiss the TDs b/c of the "variable" aspect of scoring. TDs are the bread and butter in FF. Yeah, you'll always take yards. But if your guy finds the endzone not once, but twice - he could have done nothing else and still received double digits. Don't dismiss TDs. As long as they count in every one of my FF leagues and they aren't dismissed there - I am not dismissing them here.

:confused:He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".Week 1:14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs5 catches for 16 yards- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.Week 2: 17 carries for 78 yds, 2 TDs9 catches for 154 yds, 1 TD- Monster game. High impact.Week 3: 7 carries for 26 yds2 catches for 13 yds- Awful gameWeek 4: 12 carries for 50 yds5 catches for 34 yds1 fumble lost- Mediocre gameWeek 5: 17 carries for 59 yds4 catches for 37 yds- Mediocre gameWeek 6: 12 carries for 16 yds6 catches for 31 yds- Mediocre gameSo again, when exactly did he "start out great"? Looks like he's had exactly one great game the whole season so far.
You added the "NFL perspective" part.From a FF perspective (which is assumed that that is what people are referring to on a FF forum), everyone here would take week 1 every week, especially in PPR. 36 yards, 2 TDs, 5 receptions. Seeing as though in just about every league a td = 6 pts; I don't think Best owners were upset in week 1.In PPR, that means he scored over 20 in week 1. That's great. That's his first NFL game ever!In week 2, he put up about 50. That's even better.I stick by "he started out great."Weak move to dismiss the TDs b/c of the "variable" aspect of scoring. TDs are the bread and butter in FF. Yeah, you'll always take yards. But if your guy finds the endzone not once, but twice - he could have done nothing else and still received double digits. Don't dismiss TDs. As long as they count in every one of my FF leagues and they aren't dismissed there - I am not dismissing them here.
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree on certain aspects.A few comments:1. The NFL perspective matters because NFL coaches & GMs don't give a #### about fantasy football. 2. I don't play PPR. If you do, I can see how his stats are incrementally better, but still average at best3. Great, he got 2 TDs in week 1. Unless you disagree that TDs are more volatile than yardage (an argument I would love to hear, though it's unlikely to be compelling), it's easy to see how his performance other than week 2 has been pedestrian.Anyway, appreciate the thoughtful response. I still think Best can do well and be a strong contributor as this team (including Stafford) continues to mature.

Clifford said:
OK, so did you ever take up this bet? Just curious...

:popcorn:

He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".

Week 1:

14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs

5 catches for 16 yards

- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.
Yea because every time a RB has scored 2 TDs in his first NFL game it's considered subpar. :loco:
Of course you've misinterpreted. He never used the words "great game" or "standout performance". All he suggested was that "subpar performance" is unfair.

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree on certain aspects.

A few comments:

1. The NFL perspective matters because NFL coaches & GMs don't give a #### about fantasy football.

2. I don't play PPR. If you do, I can see how his stats are incrementally better, but still average at best

3. Great, he got 2 TDs in week 1. Unless you disagree that TDs are more volatile than yardage (an argument I would love to hear, though it's unlikely to be compelling), it's easy to see how his performance other than week 2 has been pedestrian.

Anyway, appreciate the thoughtful response. I still think Best can do well and be a strong contributor as this team (including Stafford) continues to mature.
Why do NFL coaches have to care about FF? NFL perspective really doesn't matter. Guys can be huge contributors to their NFL team, but do nothing for a fantasy team and vice versa. Reggie Bush.His scoring is absolutely not incrementally better in ppr. He has 31 receptions through six games. Thats ridiculous. And combined with his five TDs to date, equates to 10 TD's in six games. Sorry, not average by any means necessary. I'll give in non-ppr, but anyone that targeted him was relying on pretty massive production via receiving numbers. If you are in a non-ppr league then I'd assume whoever drafted him did so with that knowledge.

I can't stand any argument that takes plays away from end result. No argument that TDs are more volatile than yardage. Whats your point? He DID score 2 TDs. They counted in his score. he scored 20 points for me that week. McFadden scored 45 points in my league last week. If you take away the volatile TDs, he scored 20 points. yay, I can do it too.

A few comments:

1. The NFL perspective matters because NFL coaches & GMs don't give a #### about fantasy football.

2. I don't play PPR. If you do, I can see how his stats are incrementally better, but still average at best

3. Great, he got 2 TDs in week 1. Unless you disagree that TDs are more volatile than yardage (an argument I would love to hear, though it's unlikely to be compelling), it's easy to see how his performance other than week 2 has been pedestrian.

Anyway, appreciate the thoughtful response. I still think Best can do well and be a strong contributor as this team (including Stafford) continues to mature.
Why do NFL coaches have to care about FF? NFL perspective really doesn't matter. Guys can be huge contributors to their NFL team, but do nothing for a fantasy team and vice versa. His scoring is absolutely not incrementally better in ppr. He has 31 receptions through six games. Thats ridiculous. And combined with his five TDs to date, would bring him points wise to 10 TD's in six games. Sorry, not average by any means necessary. I'll give in non-ppr, but anyone that targeted him was relying on pretty massive production via receiving numbers. If you are in a non-ppr league then I'd assume whoever drafted him did so with that knowledge.

I can't stand any argument that takes plays away from end result. No argument that TDs are more volatile than yardage. Whats your point? He DID score 2 TDs. They counted in his score. he scored 20 points for me that week. McFadden scored 45 points in my league last week. If you take away the volatile TDs, he scored 20 points. yay, I can do it too.
:shrug: If you can't understand why a guy with poor yardage totals in 5 of his 6 games played isn't performing great, I can't really help you out.

:shrug:

He started off great? Really? He's had one good game - from an NFL perspective - all season. In week 2 against Philly. Let's look back at his games, because I'm confused when he "started great".

Week 1:

14 carries for 20 yards, 2 TDs

5 catches for 16 yards

- Subpar game. Fantasy folks would be excited, but he didn't do much from a real life perspective.
Yea because every time a RB has scored 2 TDs in his first NFL game it's considered subpar. ;)
Of course you've misinterpreted. He never used the words "great game" or "standout performance". All he suggested was that "subpar performance" is unfair.
Thx dave, I was muddling his comments in with the original post I replied to. Sorry for the oversight, appreciate the correction.

A few comments:

Why do NFL coaches have to care about FF? NFL perspective really doesn't matter. Guys can be huge contributors to their NFL team, but do nothing for a fantasy team and vice versa. His scoring is absolutely not incrementally better in ppr. He has 31 receptions through six games. Thats ridiculous. And combined with his five TDs to date, would bring him points wise to 10 TD's in six games. Sorry, not average by any means necessary. I'll give in non-ppr, but anyone that targeted him was relying on pretty massive production via receiving numbers. If you are in a non-ppr league then I'd assume whoever drafted him did so with that knowledge.

:shrug: If you can't understand why a guy with poor yardage totals in 5 of his 6 games played isn't performing great, I can't really help you out.
This is a fantasy site. I don't care if he rushes for 2.0 yards per carry. If he ends the day with 40 yards rushing, 6 receptions for 40 yards and maybe a TD, I'm happy. To put it another way, he is performing great for my team and has directly been the difference maker in two of my wins. No help needed.

A few comments:

Why do NFL coaches have to care about FF? NFL perspective really doesn't matter. Guys can be huge contributors to their NFL team, but do nothing for a fantasy team and vice versa. Reggie Bush.His scoring is absolutely not incrementally better in ppr. He has 31 receptions through six games. Thats ridiculous. And combined with his five TDs to date, equates to 10 TD's in six games. Sorry, not average by any means necessary. I'll give in non-ppr, but anyone that targeted him was relying on pretty massive production via receiving numbers. If you are in a non-ppr league then I'd assume whoever drafted him did so with that knowledge.

Which is why the number 1 criteria when short term (yearly) production is opportunity (or situation), followed by talent, and lastly is previous weekly production.

I would much rather have a guy who week in and week out is put in a position to score, whether it be by pass catching, goal line duty, or the beneficiary of a heavy workload, than a guy who is not always given the opportunity and who has put up a few weeks of positive production. Meaning, even if Best had a bunch of poor weeks, his team will still put him in a position to score consistently and he has the ability to score significantly. You throw enough :goodposting: at the wall and some of it is bound to stick. You throw enough talented :pickle: at the wall and more if it is bound to stick. Even if it doesn't seem to be sticking for a period of time. Much better situation than just throwing a small amount of :eek: at the wall and getting lucky and having it all stick the first few times......

This is also called the Shonn Greene Hypothesis or the Rudi Johnson Paradox.

A few comments:

Which is why the number 1 criteria when short term (yearly) production is opportunity (or situation), followed by talent, and lastly is previous weekly production.

I would much rather have a guy who week in and week out is put in a position to score, whether it be by pass catching, goal line duty, or the beneficiary of a heavy workload, than a guy who is not always given the opportunity and who has put up a few weeks of positive production. Meaning, even if Best had a bunch of poor weeks, his team will still put him in a position to score consistently and he has the ability to score significantly. You throw enough :goodposting: at the wall and some of it is bound to stick. You throw enough talented :pickle: at the wall and more if it is bound to stick. Even if it doesn't seem to be sticking for a period of time. Much better situation than just throwing a small amount of :eek: at the wall and getting lucky and having it all stick the first few times......

This is also called the Shonn Greene Hypothesis or the Rudi Johnson Paradox.
right. So, he has shown that he is the starting RB that gets spread out to WR, is used at the goal line and iis in on third downs, so the opportunity is there. I don't think even his biggest detractors can say he doesn't have the talent to be a great RB, last week he was on a bye.

right. So, he has shown that he is the starting RB that gets spread out to WR, is used at the goal line and iis in on third downs, so the opportunity is there. I don't think even his biggest detractors can say he doesn't have the talent to be a great RB, last week he was on a bye.
Fully agree, he has talent and opportunity, thus this comment:
I still think Best can do well and be a strong contributor as this team (including Stafford) continues to mature.
On the flip side, I think it's a bit odd that people are reluctant to say that his production (at least in terms of yardage) has been disappointing so far. It's possible that his health has been the issue holding him back, it's possible that Stafford's absence has affected his opportunities, etc. Anyway, I like the guy and am rooting for him.

I think it's a bit odd that people are reluctant to say that his production (at least in terms of yardage) has been disappointing so far.
Why? He's on pace for around 1,500 total yards. Unless your expectations were unrealistic going into the season or after the Eagles games and anything less than 2,000 is a disappointment, I don't see how you can think this pace is that bad.

I think it's a bit odd that people are reluctant to say that his production (at least in terms of yardage) has been disappointing so far.
Why? He's on pace for around 1,500 total yards. Unless your expectations were unrealistic going into the season or after the Eagles games and anything less than 2,000 is a disappointment, I don't see how you can think this pace is that bad.
Im disappointed but my expectation were way over the top.....Ill admit it

Users who are viewing this thread