What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Javon Walker (1 Viewer)

He's been a decoy. He's been on the field for maybe a dozen snaps or so but Cutler didn't even look in his direction once. He clearly wasn't going to be part of the game plan today.

He's been a decoy. He's been on the field for maybe a dozen snaps or so but Cutler didn't even look in his direction once. He clearly wasn't going to be part of the game plan today.
But, wait, I thought Shanahan doesn't do the whole "decoy" thing....

I don't think he misleads as to who is playing, not sure he tells everyone his game plan.

I think it's a pretty stupid thing to do but that's just my opinion. At some point, you'd think the opposing defense would realize the player on the field has no value and wouldn't be concerned with him. The Broncos were basically playing at a man disadvantage every time Walker was on the field. The whole decoy thing, in my opinion, is ridiculous and pointless.

He's just a number 2 or #3 option. He's no Brandon Marshall. In fact he's not even 1/2 as good as Marshall, the Broncos #1 WR.

FavreCo said:
He's just a number 2 or #3 option. He's no Brandon Marshall. In fact he's not even 1/2 as good as Marshall, the Broncos #1 WR.
While injured, maybe, but when he's healthy, there's no question who the #1 option in Denver is... and it ain't Brandon Marshall.I don't know if Walker was being used as a decoy, or if he was just used in 3 WR sets and the weather forced Denver out of that gameplan. Either way, Cutler didn't look his direction all day long.

FavreCo said:
Not even close. You have not watched much football. This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. marshall is barely on pace to hit 1K yards and all of 4 TD's or so. Walker made the top 10 the year after he blew out a knee while playing on a new team. What are you Brandon Marshall's mom?Oh, and back to the point before I read this crap....Walker was not targeted once. His name was only mentioned when he had a false start called against him in the first quarter. But with that slick track I didn't expect him to see a lot of passes his way...

FavreCo said:
Not even close. You have not watched much football. This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. marshall is barely on pace to hit 1K yards and all of 4 TD's or so. Walker made the top 10 the year after he blew out a knee while playing on a new team. What are you Brandon Marshall's mom?
:unsure: 847yds in 11 games -------> projection 1232yds in 16 games

lol

wait until the end of the next season for the new n.1 in Denver

marshall is a good receiver but he's not nearly as good as javon yet. he does not run routes as well, nor does he get separation like javon does. Tonight was the first time I've really seen him smoke a DB. He also doesn't have particularly good hands. He will get better with time, but IMO he's still a bit raw.

His best skill is his YAC ability. He's very goood with the ball in space.

Any off you guys thats saw the Denver game, Did walker not play in the 2nd half?? How did he look?? Did he limp?? If he could come back(healthy) IMO he could be a fantastic playoff WR, Was he targedted at all??

Any off you guys thats saw the Denver game, Did walker not play in the 2nd half?? How did he look?? Did he limp?? If he could come back(healthy) IMO he could be a fantastic playoff WR, Was he targedted at all??
I think it started raining about mid 2nd quarter. That may have been the end of his day. Not a good idea to test a bum leg on a slick track....

I think it started raining about mid 2nd quarter. That may have been the end of his day. Not a good idea to test a bum leg on a slick track....
He was on the field in the second half so I don't think the weather had anything to do with his lack of involvement. I think it was clearly the plan to have him be a decoy. The point of doing that and putting Walker at risk and ensuring your team plays short-handed the entire time he's on the field is something only Shanahan knows.Again, I think it's a stupid strategy that rarely works - at least not against a defense smart enough to figure out if a guy is or isn't even being looked at in the passing game.

He was on the field in the second half so I don't think the weather had anything to do with his lack of involvement. I think it was clearly the plan to have him be a decoy. The point of doing that and putting Walker at risk and ensuring your team plays short-handed the entire time he's on the field is something only Shanahan knows.Again, I think it's a stupid strategy that rarely works - at least not against a defense smart enough to figure out if a guy is or isn't even being looked at in the passing game.
Thanks, i agree with you, that was not very smart, but then again denver did choose to kick to Hester twice :thumbup: . Which IMO was not smart either

I don't remember seeing him on the field at all in the second half. Then again I was surfing the NFL.com game casts while watching that game on TV so I could've missed it. I just don't remember seeing him in the second half at all....

I don't remember seeing him on the field at all in the second half. Then again I was surfing the NFL.com game casts while watching that game on TV so I could've missed it. I just don't remember seeing him in the second half at all....
He was out there. Not sure how many snaps, but he definitely was on the field. I recall specifically him being on the field for the final couple of snaps on Denver's last drive before OT.

He got a great break off the line on the Cutler spike to stop the clock...HTH.

I could not have misread this scenario more. Shanny risking his top WR as a decoy just seems ridiculous to me.

I could not have misread this scenario more. Shanny risking his top WR as a decoy just seems ridiculous to me.
I agree. I can't figure it out. At some point, aren't the Bears going to figure out Cutler isn't even looking in Walker's direction? You'd think they would. It was clear to me in the second quarter Walker was just a decoy and I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator. I'd think Lovie Smith and his staff would have drawn the same conclusion. And when you factor in the poor conditions all he was doing was putting Walker at risk physically. I just don't get the decoy thing. Never have and never will. If the guy isn't physically ready to be involved, sit him. It's not like Cutler had been playing poorly without Walker of late. He had been playing pretty well so he could survive without him for another game if need be.

I got burned by this as I took a flier on him yesterday (for Nate Washington).

VERY curious as to what this whole thing means for next week... any thoughts or homer insights??

I got burned by this as I took a flier on him yesterday (for Nate Washington).VERY curious as to what this whole thing means for next week... any thoughts or homer insights??
Just my opinion, but you can't count the Bears game as a true start for Javon (he didn't actually start for Denver anyway--Stokely did). IF Javon starts next week, that's his first game back as far as I'm concerned...& at this time of the season, there are few of us who can take a chance on a guy who has missed the majority of the season, and who has been hyped to play several times, only to only be a late scratch, or, like this week, a pure decoy. I think all Javon owners need to look elsewhere unless & until he actually produces during a game.

Quotes from Shanahan on Monday:

Walker “made some strides” and thought he might use him more this coming week than against Chicago … “I watched him through warmups; he wasn’t completely comfortable with being full speed but I think he will this week. He only played about eight plays.”

Link

Users who are viewing this thread