What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaylen Samuels - Steelers RB/TE Hybrid - Dynasty (1 Viewer)

I had been assuming this was my last rodeo with Samuels and that he'd go back to my bench next week. But after that performance (coupled with Boyd's potential injury), I'm starting to wonder. If Boyd does sit, I would probably slide Pettis into his spot and then decide between Samuels and Josh Reynolds at flex. Between those two, Samuels might be the safer option. Will be curious to see how much we learn before Sunday about expected usage between him and Conner.

This was my thinking in preseason but after seeing Conner and him being better then I thought he would I don’t really believe this anymore. As I Samuels owner in multiple dynasty I’d be fine with it tho lol 

He did great running the ball but my favorite play was easily the third down catch late in the game where he made a play that im not sure many later round rookies make. Didn’t have anyone to pass block and saw Ben was running out of time, took off and got past his guy and then went 5-6 yards past the marker and made himself available for Ben to throw too. Most guys might have kept moving to pick up extra yardage but Samuels stopped so Ben had an easier throw plus it didn’t take him towards more defenders. 
The most important part of that play was that he dropped down in-bounds, keeping the clock running rather than plowing into the defender and getting driven out of bounds.  Very few rookies make that play and a lot of veterans fail it too.

Loved how he looked. I think he can be a nice compliment to Conner next year and the Steelers can likely focus their resources on the defense and keeping the offensive line strong.

I think pass protection will play a big part moving forward.  I only saw a limited part of the game, but I did see Samuels not account for a blitzing LB that came straight through
Agreed.  But, I can also imagine scenarios where both are on the field at the same time, with Samuels being a more pass-catching option and Conner being the more running option.

Agreed.  But, I can also imagine scenarios where both are on the field at the same time, with Samuels being a more pass-catching option and Conner being the more running option.
maybe, but Samuels is not Kamara, plus Switzer is a better pure pass-catcher/roue runner if they were gonna implement a strategy of 2 RB on the field.

Doesn't this get said about literally every single NFL team with two quality RBs? And how often does it actually happen?

Doesn't this get said about literally every single NFL team with two quality RBs? And how often does it actually happen?
It doesn’t happen. I like the talent of Samuels but Conner played well and has an iron clad grip on the job. Nothing short of Super Bowl James White of two years ago level play will give Samuels the lead role or even a 50/50 timeshare. Conner will be the lead back, Samuels will probably get 8-10 touches per game as a true change of pace back, package player and maybe 2 minute drill back. Conner’s only holes in his game appear to be streakiness, inability to put the team on his back when it is struggling, and fumbles. The first two come with the territory and aren’t something to hold against him. The fumbles he needs to correct but he is a very good runner and a very competent passing downs player. Samuels is a weapon for sure and will find work on his own and with Conner on the field but Conner has earned the job thus far.

Plus, nothing against Samuels but have you heard Conner’s story? I can’t wish the guy anything but success

I just don't think you can feel good about Samuels if Conner is back.  If you're desperate and there's nothing on your wire/bench--I'd look harder.  

What you’ve started to see with Samuels is the fullfillment of some of the headroom I’ve talked about in previous posts. Samuels’ usage at NC State suggested he’s got more upside than your typical college feature back.

Samuels is an easy eyeball evaluation as a good football player which is why I called him one of the steals of the draft after the Steelers nabbed him in the 5th. He already had day-2 talent coming out, IMO, & once he fully develops as a RB, I believe we’ll be looking at a genuine NFL feature back.

Samuels’ outstanding pass-catching ability (already one of the best receiving backs in the NFL) to go along with good running skills could very well make for not only an NFL feature back, but a FF stud.

It’s going to be interesting to see the competition with Conner once Samuels gets up to speed as a full-time RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
would it be crazy to start samuels at TE with conner back? PPR. I own both and do not have a TE

would it be crazy to start samuels at TE with conner back? PPR. I own both and do not have a TE
That’s the $1M dollar question this week for owners of both in Yahoo.  My take...I’m not sure that Connor would be 100% on that ankle, if it was a HAS.  I could see a split with the RB’s, and if it becomes a shootout, Samuels might get increased reps trying to play catch up with the passing game.

Welp, had Gronk and Cook on my bench getting 3 points this week. They both outscored Samuels last week but its all about the floor baby. I must also mention that he outscored Kittle, Kelce and Ertz and every other TE for that matter. I'm sure I am not the only one that enjoyed this week for a variety of reasons. Cheat code delivered.  

ETA: Honestly I consider this another floor type game from him. Imagine when the mutli TD games come. Conner should take another week off.

I'm in the consolation round, so not spending too much time on the question (and also not playing the WW), but in a non-PPR league with a WR/TE flex, I will likely be deciding between Samuels and Reynolds at flex (alongside Tyreek, Pettis and Kittle, and assuming Boyd is out).

Obviously, we'll have to pay attention to reports coming out of Pittsburgh about Conner's health and expected usage, but I think we should assume that we won't know a ton more Sunday morning than we know right now. 

I actually think a guy like Reynolds is a decent comp: Third/fourth receiving option in a good offense. Samuels obviously has a lower floor, since he could potentially not get used at all, but considering Reynolds floor is like 2/20, does it really make a ton of difference?

Based on what I know at this moment, I'm inclined to start him over Reynolds, particularly for the upside.

Is it 100% Conner is back this week? I feel like I haven't seen anyone say anything about it, only that he was expected back, but that report was before the NE game.

Contrast that to Melvin Gordon, where he's full speed practicing, and 100% ready to go. 

Is it 100% Conner is back this week? I feel like I haven't seen anyone say anything about it, only that he was expected back, but that report was before the NE game.

Contrast that to Melvin Gordon, where he's full speed practicing, and 100% ready to go. 
No, not 100%. Tomlin said yesterday that he will see how today's practice goes. His status is still very much up in the air.

James Conner (ankle) said he's still "not ready" to return.

Conner didn't do much at Wednesday's practice. There was hope Conner would return from his two game absence this week, but that now looks in doubt. Jaylen Samuels is in line to make another start against the Saints.
ALL ABOARRRRRRRD! CHOO CHOO!!!!!

With this news I gotta decide him or David Johnson in 2 leagues ppr , leaning Samuels choo choo!
Exact same situation for me. I have Kamara and Mixon as my RBs.

Only complicating factor is I also have John Kelly, who would be in a tasty matchup situation if Gurley is out. 

Only complicating factor is I also have John Kelly, who would be in a tasty matchup situation if Gurley is out. 
No way I'd start Kelly. Even if Gurley sits (which I don't think he will), it's not remotely clear how that backfield will shake out. Samuels has a much higher floor and probably a similar ceiling.

Haha Im starting Kamara, Mixon and Samuels as well! Lets go. No way Id bench Samuels with Conner out.

:lol:  

Yeah, that sucks. Do they not do mid-season positional changes? Seems kind lame they'd not fix that before fantasy Super Bowls.
I'm ok with it if a guy played the position at all during the season. Like Ty Montgomery last year or even Joe Webb all those years ago being a WR/qb. But Samuels TE designation came from the fact that he played TE in college. He hasn't been anything but a RB in the NFL.

Starting him at 1/2ppr WR/TE slot so I can “sneak in” 3 starting RBs instead of the usual 2 in my non-flex league. Loving it. 

I'm ok with it if a guy played the position at all during the season. Like Ty Montgomery last year or even Joe Webb all those years ago being a WR/qb. But Samuels TE designation came from the fact that he played TE in college. He hasn't been anything but a RB in the NFL.
Yeah, this is the stance I take as well.  And it's a reasonable one.  Yahoo! flubbed the ball hard by equating this situation with TyMont and Webb when this is hardly the same set of circumstances.  Players change positions all the time when making the transition to the pros.  Unless they're transitioning between roles during the season itself you don't pull nonsense like this.

Yeah, this is the stance I take as well.  And it's a reasonable one.  Yahoo! flubbed the ball hard by equating this situation with TyMont and Webb when this is hardly the same set of circumstances.  Players change positions all the time when making the transition to the pros.  Unless they're transitioning between roles during the season itself you don't pull nonsense like this.
Going against Kamara, Elliot, Chubb and Samuel's at TE. So I'm pretty screwed as is. 

I really like Mack’s matchup today but am also leaning Chubb over Samuels in that second slot bc of what the Saints defense has done last three weeks to opposing RBs on the ground. Couple that with Chubbs matchup and I think it’s a no brained. Granted Elliott and McCaffrey got going through the air in therr recent matchups with NO but overall they are keeping opponents from scoring points.

With this news I gotta decide him or David Johnson in 2 leagues ppr , leaning Samuels choo choo!
I am in a similar spot with needing two out of David Johnson, Samuels, and Jamaal Williams in standard.  All ranked extremely close on all the sites.

PPR I think Samuels would be the best play.  Pitt should pass a lot today

Welp he hit his floor again at 15 points. Better than my alternative of Gronk who got the fat zero this week. Thanks Yahoo! (and Samuels)

My opponent started Samuels against me over Ertz in Yahoo league and it costed him the championship.  Just unbelievable.   I’m so glad he made that move.

My opponent started Samuels against me over Ertz in Yahoo league and it costed him the championship.  Just unbelievable.   I’m so glad he made that move.
I think we'll have more stories of winning than losing with Samuels owners  in week 16. Starting him as my 3rd "receiver" in my WR/TE slot has helped put me up by 26 heading into tonight. Love yahoo's oddity of his RB/TE designation this year. 

Jaylen Samuels said he worked on speed this offseason to become a better "pure runner."

Samuels believes he is faster now than he was last year saying, "I can get in and out of my cuts a little bit better." The running back will need to be a better "pure runner" to steal snaps and touches from James Conner. The Steelers have been a one-back backfield for years, so Samuels is best viewed as a handcuff who will likely see a handful of touches per game as a change-of-pace and passing-down complement to Conner.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Jun 21, 2019, 10:47 AM ET

Jaylen Samuels said he worked on speed this offseason
So he's saying that he worked on speed THIS offseason? Never thought to work on his speed for the NFL combine? Huh. Some of these fluff pieces tweets seem even more worthless than others.

So he's saying that he worked on speed THIS offseason? Never thought to work on his speed for the NFL combine? Huh. Some of these fluff pieces tweets seem even more worthless than others.
Field speed and track sprints are two completely different things. I'm almost certain he didn't have to do any cutting in the 40-yard dash.

Users who are viewing this thread