What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Porter (1 Viewer)

sib

Footballguy
PORTER UNDERGOES HAMSTRING SURGERY

Posted by Mike Florio on July 18, 2008, 7:08 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jaguars receiver Jerry Porter has undergone surgery to repair a torn hamstring.

Porter is expected to miss training camp and the entire preseason.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jaguars receiver Jerry Porter has undergone surgery to repair a torn hamstring. Porter is expected to miss training camp and the entire preseason.
Is it realistic for Porter to only miss training camp and the preseason games? Sounds like a serious injury that will take longer than six weeks to comeback from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jaguars receiver Jerry Porter has undergone surgery to repair a torn hamstring. Porter is expected to miss training camp and the entire preseason.
Is it realistic for Porter to only miss training camp and the preseason games? Sounds like a serious injury that will take longer than six weeks to comeback from.
He reportedly had the surgery a while ago, so it is longer than 6 weeks.

I agree with the poster who thinks Reggie Williams is the guy to own in this WR group. He was on fire at the end of last season, catching a touchdown in 10 separate games. he didn't get many yards, but he did a fantastic job of breaking out for long gains.

as long as he stays out of the doghouse, i predict Williams to see about 75 rec, 1150 yards, 10 TDs

Porter undergoes surgery Will miss camp, preseason --------------------------------------------------------------------------------By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editorFriday, July 18, 2008 | Jaguars news Email Story Print StoryJaguars wide receiver Jerry Porter will miss all of training camp and the preseason as he recovers from surgery on a hamstring injury that caused Porter to miss most of spring OTAs. In a release issued Friday evening, the Jaguars said Porter “could return for the regular-season opener on Sept. 7" at Tennessee.Porter sustained the injury early in spring practices and remained inactive for the rest of the spring. Original reports were that Porter sustained a routine hamstring strain and there were no concerns that the injury would cause him to miss time beyond spring practices.“He had this issue since it popped in the spring,” Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio told jaguars.com Friday evening. “It’s a blessing that we’re going to have him for the season. We’re going to get him back for the regular season. That’s how I see it.”Porter was the Jaguars’ lead free-agent acquisition, as the team signed Porter to a six-year contract that included $10 million in guaranteed bonus in a deal worth $30 million overall. He is the proven number one receiver the Jaguars have lacked since Jimmy Smith’s retirement in 2006.“We’re happy we got to the bottom of it and we have a handle on it. It’s repaired. The doctor feels good about what he did. It was bothersome not to know. It’s been repaired and now he needs to rehab,” Del Rio said.Porter was conditioning for the start of training camp when he became concerned that the injury was not improving. He communicated his concerns to Jaguars trainer Mike Ryan, causing Porter to undergo more diagnostic tests. Porter sought the advice of renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews. Jaguars.com, however, was unable to learn who performed the surgical procedure Porter underwent on Thursday.“The last few weeks he continued to have problems. That’s when we got another read on it. He couldn’t push beyond a certain level of conditioning. He got with Dr. Andrews. It wasn’t behaving like a normal hamstring,” Del Rio said.Porter, 30, has 284 career receptions, all of them with the Oakland Raiders, and has started 63 of 104 career games played.Del Rio wouldn’t say who would replace Porter in the number one offense, but it could be Mike Walker, who is attempting a comeback from knee surgery that caused Walker to spend his rookie season on the injured reserve list. Walker was a third-round draft pick from Central Florida last year.“We’ve got a host of guys,” Del Rio said.The wide receiving corps includes Walker, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Troy Williamson, Matt Jones, John Broussard and D’Juan Woods. They were considered to be the top roster contenders when spring OTA practices ended. Jones, of course, was recently arrested in Arkansas for possession of a controlled substance.Walker has continued his conditioning regimen since the end of OTAs and Del Rio termed his progress as “very good.” Walker missed most of OTAs as he continued his rehab from knee surgery, but participated in the final few practices and was extremely impressive.Three other players – defensive end Jeremy Mincey (wrist), safety Chad Nkang (wrist) and tight end George Wrighster (knee) – could begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list. The Jaguars open training camp on Saturday, July 26.

I'm another guy who thinks that Reggie Williams seemed to "get it" after landing in JDR's doghouse last year.

I'm rooting for Mike Walker but really, who knows what shape his knee is in?

Broussard is another wildcard. He can flat out fly but he's another small receiver like Northcutt. Unlike Northcutt, he hasn't shown he can run anything besides the "GO" route.

I'm a Washington Husky, so I have reason to root for Reggie Williams, but I don't think the light is going to go on. Expect the same catches as last year, but not the TDs. This WR corps sucks.

But is it any worse than last year? I don't see any reason to downgrade Garrard too much because Porter is out. He's got basically the same group to work with, minus Wilford.

What a double whammy of bad news for me since I just drafted Porter in the 8th round and Garrard in the 9th round of a draft. My first thought was that even if Porter's surgery is a success and he comes back 100% healthy in week 1 or 2 this is really bad news for Porter and slightly bad news for Garrard. I was thinking if Garrard and Porter had played together before this might be no big deal but it's asking a lot play together for the first time during the season. But maybe this won't end up being so bad after all. I know if I was drafting again right now I'd still have taken Garrard were I did while Porter would drop a few rounds. I look at Brady and Moss last year who did not have a chance to practice much leading up to the season due to a Moss's hamstring. Obviously that's a far more talented duo but than this one but they certainly showed that you don't have to go through training camp together to be on the same page. Maybe a better example is Chris Chambers whose production was a little slow his first few weeks with the Chargers and started to pick up and become more consistent a few weeks later. I'm thinking that if Porter returns healthy he might start a little slow but I think within a few weeks at most will be the Jaguars best WR-which may not be saying much.

My bottom line is I still think Garrard represents one of the best QB values in fantasy drafts. Discounting the game against Indy when he got hurt his lowest regular season game of the year he put up 16.8 fantasy points with a high of 25.8. That is amazing consistency. Add to that Jax has the second highest positive SOS change for QB's and the addition of Porter, Walker and Williamson beats the loss of Wilford and Matt Jones and I see a strong year for Garrard. Porter would fall down my rankings but this just might help make him a great value pick for later rounds.

I don't expect Reggie Williams to repeat a ten TD total this season. Considering how much stock some people put in last years stats, he will very likely be over-valued in most leagues. As others have mentioned, Del Rio is not a Williams fan, and with none of these guys out shining the others it might be musical chairs at WR for a while. If I want to roll the dice on mediocre talent who might produce some decent numbers if given the chance, then I would be far more likely to take someone from the Denver backfield then I would be to draft a Jacksonville receiver. Why? At least I know they will run the ball in Denver - I'm not so sure Jacksonville will throw enough to justify drafting any of these guys.

I don't expect Reggie Williams to repeat a ten TD total this season. Considering how much stock some people put in last years stats, he will very likely be over-valued in most leagues. As others have mentioned, Del Rio is not a Williams fan, and with none of these guys out shining the others it might be musical chairs at WR for a while. If I want to roll the dice on mediocre talent who might produce some decent numbers if given the chance, then I would be far more likely to take someone from the Denver backfield then I would be to draft a Jacksonville receiver. Why? At least I know they will run the ball in Denver - I'm not so sure Jacksonville will throw enough to justify drafting any of these guys.
Reggie Williams is going off the boards at an ADP of WR46. Considering he had 10 TDs a year ago, finished as WR28 in FBG Scoring...I definitely like him there. You're looking at drafting him as a low end WR4, and getting High End WR3 #s

I wouldn't give up on Porter just yet. This injury happened a while ago so by the middle of the season with enough recovery time he could become very valuable.

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :goodposting:
IMO, this is more contingent of the additions of the Dline than it was on the additions at WR.

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :goodposting:
IMO, this is more contingent of the additions of the Dline than it was on the additions at WR.
Jags were copying the Pats - upgrade your WR's and beat the Colts at their own game. Though Williamson and Porter aren't quite Welker and Moss.

PORTER UNDERGOES HAMSTRING SURGERYPosted by Mike Florio on July 18, 2008, 7:08 p.m.Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jaguars receiver Jerry Porter has undergone surgery to repair a torn hamstring.Porter is expected to miss training camp and the entire preseason.
Bump up Troy Williamson. FTW

Jags have been touting Williams since last summer. Table's set even moreso now for him to do well. It's either perfect(although unfortunate) timing or someone in their front office is going to have egg on their face.

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :useless:
So Jerry Porter missing preseason is going to kill the Jags chances but Peyton missing most/some of preseason and injury questions regarding Freeney, Sanders, and Harrison are nothing for the Colts, to worry about, huh? :lmao: right back at ya

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :confused:
So Jerry Porter missing preseason is going to kill the Jags chances but Peyton missing most/some of preseason and injury questions regarding Freeney, Sanders, and Harrison are nothing for the Colts, to worry about, huh? :lmao: right back at ya
Aside from Peyton, the others missing time is probably something the Colts are used to. As far as Peyton, I could imagine him taking it easy in preseason like Tomlinson does anyway.Porter was supposed to singlehandedly solve their probs at WR(right or wrong). Without him there's a bit of here we go again as people start to discuss how Matt hasn't panned out and Reggie isn't the super WR they thought he'd be etc. Porter had alot attached to him.I don't think it matters one way or the other. Seems like they'll each make the playoffs. If one is not better than the Pats or Steelers, what does winning the division really mean? The Titans can be real tough sometimes for each of these two so even if one gets a W on the other it might not improve their overall standings in the division. seems like this all amounts to "see ya in January" really

pizzatyme said:
So Jerry Porter missing preseason is going to kill the Jags chances but Peyton missing most/some of preseason and injury questions regarding Freeney, Sanders, and Harrison are nothing for the Colts, to worry about, huh? :rolleyes: right back at ya
Well, see, I don't think the Jaguars were going to pass them up regardless. I don't think Porter is that much of a factor in whether or not they do. If you feel he is, consider he's the only one on a new team. None of the others have to learn a new offense or defense. Consider you're talking about one of the 2 best quarterbacks in the league. Consider you mentioned one of the best DE's and safeteys in the league, consider Harrison didn't even play most of last year...but if he does he's one of the best all time. Porter has been above average at best.

Birdie048 said:
Reggie Williams---- :no: Troy Williamson---- :no: Dennis Northcutt---- :no: Matt Jones---------- :rolleyes:
Mike Walker :goodposting:
How much different is this group of WR than the names who played in Philly last year? McNabb still did OK (mostly due to Westy I believe), but there is potential for them to be some decent sleepers here. Not WR1 or WR2 material, but a flex option is possible.
reggie brown and curtis are alot better than this group

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :confused:
Jags were copying the Pats - upgrade your WR's and beat the Colts at their own game. Though Williamson and Porter aren't quite Welker and Moss.
I'd highly disagree with that. I think they are were clearly building up the pass rush in effort to get to Manning.

Reggie Williams is going off the boards at an ADP of WR46. Considering he had 10 TDs a year ago, finished as WR28 in FBG Scoring...I definitely like him there. You're looking at drafting him as a low end WR4, and getting High End WR3 #s
It sounds like you are expecting him to produce stats similar to last year's. For the reasons I listed in my previous post, I don't see that happening.

PORTER UNDERGOES HAMSTRING SURGERYPosted by Mike Florio on July 18, 2008, 7:08 p.m.Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jaguars receiver Jerry Porter has undergone surgery to repair a torn hamstring.Porter is expected to miss training camp and the entire preseason.
Bump up Troy Williamson. FTW
No. Bump up the running game, not that Porter would have made the passing game any better. He really isn't very good.

Porter would have made the passing game any better. He really isn't very good.
I don't know about that. I know before I state that I'd like to see what he can do in a different team. It's not as if anyone has been tearing it up for the Raiders at WR since Rice in 2002. Even Randy Moss stunk with the Raiders. I'd even say Porter has had the best two years that franchise has seen at WR since 2002 and at worse 2 out of the 3 best seasons.

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :rolleyes:
So Jerry Porter missing preseason is going to kill the Jags chances but Peyton missing most/some of preseason and injury questions regarding Freeney, Sanders, and Harrison are nothing for the Colts, to worry about, huh? :rolleyes: right back at ya
Come see me when they FINISH ahead of the Colts. Preseason chatter is just that. :thumbup:

pizzatyme said:
So much for them moving ahead of the Colts for Division supremacy. :rolleyes:
If Jerry Porter was the secret weapon in that mission, it wasn't gonna happen anyway.Can't say I am surprised, he was known as Mr. Glass on some Raider boards a few years back.Funny thing is, I think he may actually be a steal now. I am going to pass on this story to every guy in every league I am in, and if I can grab him late, I will.

What did they pay for him anyway? I remember hearing the p/u and thought it ranked high on my list of BAD offseason moves.

I gave up on him a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread