What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Zorn - He gone? (1 Viewer)

PinkydaPimp said:
Chase Stuart said:
To all the Snyder haters, what exactly did he do wrong this off-season? His two biggest moves were 1) signing the best player available in the off-season, a monster defensive tackle who was arguably the best defensive player in the league last season; and 2) drafting a top talent who inexplicably fell to the draft, a monster pass rusher that everyone loved.I don't recall anyone complaining about the Redskins off-season in the off-season. But maybe I'm forgetting some stuff.
This off season he was better than most other off seasons. However, i think he handled the jason campbell situation poorly when he tried to bring in culter. I think its the combination of years and years of him poorly running the organization that have people hating him. its because of him many coaches wont even consider working for the redskins.
Certainly attempting to bring in Cutler was a good move; had WAS been able to land him, they'd be a better team. Campbell certainly doesn't look like the answer, so I don't think that's a legitimate criticism.I agree that there have been questionable moves in the past, but the Redskins addressed two big needs by getting elite talents to stop the run and get to the passer.

scott72 said:
fatness said:
Chase Stuart said:
To all the Snyder haters, what exactly did he do wrong this off-season? His two biggest moves were 1) signing the best player available in the off-season, a monster defensive tackle who was arguably the best defensive player in the league last season; and 2) drafting a top talent who inexplicably fell to the draft, a monster pass rusher that everyone loved.I don't recall anyone complaining about the Redskins off-season in the off-season. But maybe I'm forgetting some stuff.
For 2 years I've been complaining about them not addressing the offensive line in the draft. They ignore it, in some sort of fantasy that their players don't age, don't break down, don't need backups, and that any street free agent can walk in, get coached up by Joe Bugel, and do the job.
Exactly. I don't know why owners and GM's don't understand that games are won and lost in the trenches. My Packers have arguably the best WR's in the league, but they surely haven't played up to that because our OL is awful. It's two of the most important parts of the team imo.
:goodposting: See also the total collapse of the St. Louis Rams, which occurred (and hasn't yet hit bottom) for the same reason - - neglect of the OL.

Sweetness_34 said:
When all you do is throw money around thinking that will fix every problem, you deserve this.Lions gonna win .... when does Jim Zorn get fired? 7 pts againts the freaking Lions? Nice O genius.....lol
Danny Snyder and William Clay Ford are the main problems with both of these franchises.Both seem to want to win, but they do not know how to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweetness_34 said:
If you cannot do it 3 years in the league, you pretty much never will be anything great.
So many QBs fly in the face of this argument. Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon to name a few.
But isn't this arguement statistically correct? I could probably name 30 QBs in the last 10 years who never panned out.I just don't think Campbell is that good

got_nugs said:
Tough to win **the Super Bowl** a playoff game with **an Eagle on your helmet** ROMO as your QB. Just sayin'...
FIXED :cry:

got_nugs said:
Tough to win **the Super Bowl** a playoff game with **an Eagle on your helmet** ROMO as your QB. Just sayin'...
FIXED :rolleyes:
Ouchie. Would still rather be a Cowboys fan right now for some reason.
An overspending and over 'hands on' owner. A QB that is over analyzed and criticized when it's certainly not his fault. An HC that should not be a HC. A team that can't make it out of the 1st rd of the playoffs.Redskins or Cowboys....don't matter. Same result.

Thinking of being a 'boys man makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Sweetness_34 said:
If you cannot do it 3 years in the league, you pretty much never will be anything great.
So many QBs fly in the face of this argument. Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon to name a few.
But isn't this arguement statistically correct? I could probably name 30 QBs in the last 10 years who never panned out.I just don't think Campbell is that good
I think the original statement should be revised to 1st round QBs who don't pan out in 3 years.

Mike Florio's opinion (and no, he's not a Redskin insider)

And so the calls for Zorn's head will intensify in D.C., and an interim coach will be installed by the launch of the bye week on October 25, if not sooner.

Then, next year, it'll be Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren calling the shots in D.C.

Though some might think that Bill Cowher also will be in the mix, two issues likely make it unlikely that he'd get the job. First, Cowher would want full control over the football operations, and owner Danier Snyder would be reluctant to agree, especially if it means minimizing (or firing) V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

Also, Cowher's mentor (Marty Schottenheimer) might have a thing or two to share with Cowher regarding Schottenheimer's one-year experience with the team in 2001. Schottenheimer secured full control, fired Cerrato, went 8-8, and then was fired.

In the end, look for a high-stakes auction to break out between the Cowboys and the Redskins for Shanahan, with the loser getting Holmgren.

And so the calls for Zorn's head will intensify in D.C., and an interim coach will be installed by the launch of the bye week on October 25, if not sooner.

Then, next year, it'll be Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren calling the shots in D.C.

Though some might think that Bill Cowher also will be in the mix, two issues likely make it unlikely that he'd get the job. First, Cowher would want full control over the football operations, and owner Danier Snyder would be reluctant to agree, especially if it means minimizing (or firing) V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

Also, Cowher's mentor (Marty Schottenheimer) might have a thing or two to share with Cowher regarding Schottenheimer's one-year experience with the team in 2001. Schottenheimer secured full control, fired Cerrato, went 8-8, and then was fired.

In the end, look for a high-stakes auction to break out between the Cowboys and the Redskins for Shanahan, with the loser getting Holmgren.
Short of Zorn going deep into the playoffs, Zorn wasn't going to make it past this year. This has been the general consensus of the local Redskin media and fans all summer. It's pretty obvious this is a train wreck.

The Redskins are a lot more talented then they play though. Good coaching would make a dramatic impact. They need to replace Portis or at least draft somebody to push him. He's got way too long of a leash for the health of the team. They need OL help.

Non of this matters as long as Danny and Cerrato are in charge.

personally, I think any coach losing to the lions this year should be grounds for immediate dismissal. :goodposting:

Short of Zorn going deep into the playoffs, Zorn wasn't going to make it past this year. This has been the general consensus of the local Redskin media and fans all summer. It's pretty obvious this is a train wreck.

The Redskins are a lot more talented then they play though. Good coaching would make a dramatic impact. They need to replace Portis or at least draft somebody to push him. He's got way too long of a leash for the health of the team. They need OL help.

Good coaching would make this a .500 team. They don't have the depth to be much better, and that is an entirely predictable result of tieing large dollars up in a few players.

fatness said:
The Redskins problems are:

Vinnie Cerrato, in charge of player personnel, who created a depleted roster of a few good starters and a patchwork array of mediocre draft choices, free agents, injured older players, duct tape, and press releases.

Jim Zorn, the only guy left who would take the Redskin coaching job besides Jim Fassell, who is in over his head and doesn't understand game strategy, momentum, time management, in-game decisions, or Yahtzee.
I laughed

Chase Stuart said:
Yeah, I don't blame Synder. The coaching staff is terrible though.And they use that elite pass rusher to play LB for some inexplicable reason.FWIW, I think the Skins should bring in a big name as a "consultant", let him look around for 2 weeks, then fire Zorn and let the new guy take over. This is assuming they can get a big name anymore.

Zorn is terrible. Every 3rd down, he calls a pass play SHORT of the 3rd down marker. Hey guy, you need to cross that to get a new set of downs. Not come up just short AGAIN so you can go for it on 4th down AGAIN.

Worst play call was the last play of the game. We need 40 yards for a TD, so why call an 8 yard hook and ladder play? WTF? This is the NFL, not a teen movie starring the guy from Dawson's Creek!

If Snyder becomes convinced that he is going to fire Zorn after the season and go after one of the big names like Shanahan, Cowher, or Holmgren, is there any possibility that he'd fire Zorn and bring one of those guys in during the season?I know normally when a coach is fired midseason, an assistant assumes the helm for the rest of the year, and I assume that is because it isn't possible for a new coach to change the systems in place at that point... but was curious if anyone thinks someone like Shanahan would be willing to step in now.
I don't know why they would want to.Either they continue to run Zorn's system that sucks or they try to change everything in the 4 or so days of practice between games.Seems like a recipe for failure to me.
I thought he might consider it for these reasons:1. Get a jump on the competition for the coach of his choice.2. Particularly if it were Shanahan, one might expect that even with the same players and system there could be improved playcalling.3. It would give the new coach a chance to be hands on with the current assistant coaches and players to help with decisions on who to keep for next season and how to prioritize the draft and free agency.All that said, I doubt it will happen.
On Redskins talk radio yesterday, the speculation was that Zorn will be fired after game 7 unless Washington wins the next 3 games, giving the new coach the bye week to reorganize. They were even going so far as to speculate that Sherm Lewis was brought in as a consultant so he could be interviewed for the HC job to check off the Rooney Rule box, allowing them to go after Shanahan during the season and hopefully beat other teams that want him to the punch. :confused:

So many QBs fly in the face of this argument. Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon to name a few. Campbell's no great shakes, but Zorn's boring playcalling and inability to light a fire under his players is the problem with the Skins.
Jason Campbell should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as those QBs. He's a bum.

FWIW, I think the Skins should bring in a big name as a "consultant", let him look around for 2 weeks, then fire Zorn and let the new guy take over. This is assuming they can get a big name anymore.
:penalty: Prescient, or does (HULK) = Cerrato?Either way... :banned:

The Campbell benching is a last ditch attempt to save his job. It wont work. Campbell wasnt the problem.
:football: It was a "I have to do something" move. Zorn said in his postgame PC that there were some things Campbell missed that he thinks he should have missed. But, he had an even worse first half against TB and played pretty well in the second half of that game.Benching him did nothing. Even when the first pass for Collins goes for 40+ yards, it had no effect on the game overall. This is a team that can't even capitalize with a TD after a 78-yard run.

Snyder may deserve this but Zorn doesn't. He didn't apply for the HC job, he wanted an OC job to get some experience. He's a good guy and a good QB coach thrown into a situation over his head.

Snyder may deserve this but Zorn doesn't. He didn't apply for the HC job, he wanted an OC job to get some experience. He's a good guy and a good QB coach thrown into a situation over his head.
Yes and no. For the most part, I agree with you that Zorn doesn't deserve this. He's simply a guy in the wrong job. And, worst yet, he's in a job where he wasn't able to pick his own employees (coaching staff). But, the story when he was hired was that Zorn has always had himself prepared for a HC interview. It's something he wanted to work towards and he, supposedly, was always prepared to interview for a HC position. I believe he thinks he's HC-worthy. I don't think he's currently capable of identifying where he's going wrong. He's sticking with his system and gameplan regardless of results.

Yes and no. For the most part, I agree with you that Zorn doesn't deserve this. He's simply a guy in the wrong job. And, worst yet, he's in a job where he wasn't able to pick his own employees (coaching staff). But, the story when he was hired was that Zorn has always had himself prepared for a HC interview. It's something he wanted to work towards and he, supposedly, was always prepared to interview for a HC position. I believe he thinks he's HC-worthy. I don't think he's currently capable of identifying where he's going wrong. He's sticking with his system and gameplan regardless of results.
:goodposting:On top of this, he was initially hired to be the OC, and this is his offense... and it is the offense that is the major problem with the team. It is terrible. I don't see how anyone can say that is not his responsibility.

Arch Stanton said:
Sorry, dude. I agree that Zorn seems like a nice guy but he did want the HC job. First off it was arrogant to go to a place as a coordinator when no HC is in place. Secondly and most importantly you are what you are. Tomlin only was a coordinator for one year, Sparano wasn't ever a coordinator as far as I know, Cowher was a special teams coordinator and so was Harbaugh. Is he over his head, sure? Was it a situation that he didn't want to be thrust in? No, not even close.

Well, Zorn is not longer calling the plays in Wash. This is a good start. Maybe some of the Wash players will actually score some points now.

Well, Zorn is not longer calling the plays in Wash. This is a good start. Maybe some of the Wash players will actually score some points now.
Won't make a difference.edit: I see it's Sherman Lewis. it DEFINATELY Won't make a difference.

I kind of like Campbell and one thing to remember is how many OCs in his time in Washington? I think it is 4.

He has both the physical and mental ability to play in this league. He just needs to get into the right system with a strong organization.

I kind of like Campbell and one thing to remember is how many OCs in his time in Washington? I think it is 4.He has both the physical and mental ability to play in this league. He just needs to get into the right system with a strong organization.
That's just one of the 50 excuses used for Campbell over the years. He keeps having to learn a new system. He doesn't get enough protection. The receivers are never open. He doesn't have a good enough running game. The defense doesn't create turnovers to put him in advantageous situations for easy scores. The front office doesn't have confidence in him and are hurting him mentally. Coaches are handcuffing him.All of those things have been true at one time or another during Campbell's career. But, some QBs actually overcome challenges. Look, I don't think he's horrible. He's an average starting QB in terms of talent and ability. He'll never be a top 5 QB and there's really nothing wrong with that. But, the excuses have to stop. At some point, people need to stop saying everything that's going wrong around him and focus on what he's not doing well. He consistently misses open plays down the field; plays that should be TDs. He goes through long stretches in games where he simply isn't "seeing the field well". He doesn't find the open guy quickly enough. He doesn't take control of the situations on the field. At times, he needs to play on instinct and ignore the coaches. Change the play. Go for something regardless of what the coach will think.

Campbell has no future as a starting QB. He's had several years to prove himself. Look at Ryan, Roethlisberger and Flacco. They proved themselves early.

Time to look for a new QB. And a RB. And OL. So many needs, I think it'll be two years before we get a real QB just because these other needs have to be addressed.

I kind of like Campbell and one thing to remember is how many OCs in his time in Washington? I think it is 4.He has both the physical and mental ability to play in this league. He just needs to get into the right system with a strong organization.
That's just one of the 50 excuses used for Campbell over the years. He keeps having to learn a new system. He doesn't get enough protection. The receivers are never open. He doesn't have a good enough running game. The defense doesn't create turnovers to put him in advantageous situations for easy scores. The front office doesn't have confidence in him and are hurting him mentally. Coaches are handcuffing him.All of those things have been true at one time or another during Campbell's career. But, some QBs actually overcome challenges. Look, I don't think he's horrible. He's an average starting QB in terms of talent and ability. He'll never be a top 5 QB and there's really nothing wrong with that. But, the excuses have to stop. At some point, people need to stop saying everything that's going wrong around him and focus on what he's not doing well. He consistently misses open plays down the field; plays that should be TDs. He goes through long stretches in games where he simply isn't "seeing the field well". He doesn't find the open guy quickly enough. He doesn't take control of the situations on the field. At times, he needs to play on instinct and ignore the coaches. Change the play. Go for something regardless of what the coach will think.
IMO regardless of what happens the rest of this season, Campbell will not be the Redskins starter next season. And I don't see any compelling reason to believe he'll be starting for a different team either. His time as an NFL starter may well be over, though I think he is good enough to hang around the league as a backup for quite some time.

Campbell is not good. Shouldn't be starting for any team. I've been willing to give him a chance, but this year is the end. Yes, the offensive line is bad, but so many problems are on Campbell. We holds the ball way too long time far too often and is indecisive. He has very poor pocket awareness. He has poor field awareness, and is somewhat slow on progressions. He goes down pretty easy (even trips a lot and falls down moving up in the pocket). He stares down receivers too often. He doesn't put enough loft under many of his long throws. He is terrible at clock management. (Look at the end of half last game. Among other things, he could have easily thrown the ball away with no timeouts, but instead ran for two yards (really no chance he was getting much) in the middle of the field, forcing a spike and only time for one play).

On the plus side, he is fairly athletic and has a strong arm and good size. He is very calm and doesn't get ruffled. Seems to say the right things. I doubt he upsets his teammates. He doesn't take too many risky chances with throws.

Campbell is surprisingly similar to Ramsey. Cambell moves a little better and is calmer, but there are many similarities.

Collins is an old backup though, and gives you nothing. Collins made the most sense when the Redskins were running the Al Saunders offense, which Collins had a career of experience with.

IMO regardless of what happens the rest of this season, Campbell will not be the Redskins starter next season. And I don't see any compelling reason to believe he'll be starting for a different team either. His time as an NFL starter may well be over, though I think he is good enough to hang around the league as a backup for quite some time.
Agreed. Many people will talk about how "he never got a fair shot", yet no other team will give him that shot either as an unquestioned starter. Similar to Patrick Ramsey.

Zorn is gone. It's just a matter of when --- after the expected loss to Philly this coming weekend, or at the end of the season. The real question that most affects the Redskins is whether Vinnie Cerrato is gone too.

Cerrato got a big promotion a couple years back and is in charge of all football operations. He chose Zorn. He chose the players. And there are growing indications that he'll be fired or moved aside to a meaningless job by Snyder if things don't improve. Cerrato is the one who did the kneejerk hiring of Sherm Lewis, and the kneejerk removal of Zorn's playcalling abilities. I think he knows his job is on the line, and I'm hopeful he cannot save it.

Jason Campbell is really bad.....how many head coaches is he going to get fired? The dude is not an NFL QB, plain and simple. Hell, he can't even get rostered in fantasy football he is so bad. I am not for or against Zorn, but it is obvious that the excuse of all the different systems that Campbell has had to learn is the reason he has underperformed is no longer acceptable. Until he is gone, this franchise is doomed.

Zorn is gone. It's just a matter of when --- after the expected loss to Philly this coming weekend, or at the end of the season. The real question that most affects the Redskins is whether Vinnie Cerrato is gone too.Cerrato got a big promotion a couple years back and is in charge of all football operations. He chose Zorn. He chose the players. And there are growing indications that he'll be fired or moved aside to a meaningless job by Snyder if things don't improve. Cerrato is the one who did the kneejerk hiring of Sherm Lewis, and the kneejerk removal of Zorn's playcalling abilities. I think he knows his job is on the line, and I'm hopeful he cannot save it.
id be shocked if Cerrato isnt canned. i am actually happy we are hitting this low point. Maybe this is what we need to snyder to understand his mistakes.

Is there an NFL owner more despised by his fan base than Dan Snyder? I moved to DC and considered myself a casual fan of the Skins prior to living here. Now, I cannot root for the team as long as Snyder is around. The guy is an absolute jerk who has alienated thousands of fans by squeezing them for every last penny. I've refused free tickets to FedEx Field on numerous occasions because it is such a miserable experience, especially compared to the one up the road in Baltimore, and I can't justify lining the pockets of Snyder.

Unfortunately, the guy will be around for decades because he's relatively young and quite wealthy. Sucks to be a Skins fan.

Zorn is awful. Wash will be a better team the day he is let go.
I don't figure that Zorn's the answer as head coach either, but Zorn most certainly didn't construct this pathetic o-line, and that's the lion's share of the offense's problems.

Jason Campbell is really bad.....how many head coaches is he going to get fired? The dude is not an NFL QB, plain and simple. Hell, he can't even get rostered in fantasy football he is so bad. I am not for or against Zorn, but it is obvious that the excuse of all the different systems that Campbell has had to learn is the reason he has underperformed is no longer acceptable. Until he is gone, this franchise is doomed.
I don't think I can put it any better than this post and the numerous ones above it. Dude sucks and is not NFL starting QB material. Same #### was stated about David Carr until they finally had to admit to the real problem.

Zorn is gone. It's just a matter of when --- after the expected loss to Philly this coming weekend, or at the end of the season. The real question that most affects the Redskins is whether Vinnie Cerrato is gone too.Cerrato got a big promotion a couple years back and is in charge of all football operations. He chose Zorn. He chose the players. And there are growing indications that he'll be fired or moved aside to a meaningless job by Snyder if things don't improve. Cerrato is the one who did the kneejerk hiring of Sherm Lewis, and the kneejerk removal of Zorn's playcalling abilities. I think he knows his job is on the line, and I'm hopeful he cannot save it.
id be shocked if Cerrato isnt canned. i am actually happy we are hitting this low point. Maybe this is what we need to snyder to understand his mistakes.
:goodposting: :confused:ETA: As a former Dallas fan I can tell you it's never going to happen.

This is the real problem in Washington and among their fans...the team is NOT more talented then they're showing. IN fact...they are very much the opposite. Bad drafts, terrible personnel decisions doomed this team long before Zorn was hired. Zorn is not at fault, and one can only hope he get's another (real) shot in the NFL. Washington will not be a contender again until upper level management changes.

[

On top of this, he was initially hired to be the OC, and this is his offense... and it is the offense that is the major problem with the team. It is terrible. I don't see how anyone can say that is not his responsibility.
BUT...when why does a first year coach take so much heat for a poor unit HE DID NOT BUILD when that unit was far less then stellar in previous seasons?The real problem is that Redskin fans actually thought the team was good to begin with, and they weren't.

This is the real problem in Washington and among their fans...the team is NOT more talented then they're showing. IN fact...they are very much the opposite. Bad drafts, terrible personnel decisions doomed this team long before Zorn was hired. Zorn is not at fault, and one can only hope he get's another (real) shot in the NFL. Washington will not be a contender again until upper level management changes.
Agree with the first part.Redskins fan are often crowing in the off-season about how talented they are and how they win the off-season every year but underachieve. Fact is as a team, especially in the trenches, they are not a very talented team. Snyder keeps trying to build them top heavy with big money, "star" talent and not building them bottom up in a sustainable way.

I'll just disagree with Zorn not be at fault. In the debacle that is the Redskins, there is a ton of fault to go around and some of it, although perhaps the lesser part, lays at Zorn's feet.

Redskins fan are often crowing in the off-season about how talented they are and how they win the off-season every year but underachieve.
To be fair, if you follow the offseason Redskins threads on this board you'll see a lot of cynical and realistic views of them among their fans here.

Redskins fan are often crowing in the off-season about how talented they are and how they win the off-season every year but underachieve.
To be fair, if you follow the offseason Redskins threads on this board you'll see a lot of cynical and realistic views of them among their fans here.
True, but the fans here are also fantasy football geeks. They aren't just generally better informed, but tend to be more realistic because they study the game and understand more then the average fan.I live in Skin's land, and I can tell you for a certainty that the average skins fan thought they were at LEAST a playoff bubble team.

I don't think I can put it any better than this post and the numerous ones above it. Dude sucks and is not NFL starting QB material. Same #### was stated about David Carr until they finally had to admit to the real problem.
Sherman Lewis is the root of the Redskins evil...he's equally guilty of crapola football, every bit as guilty as Zorn.and Campbell.and Snyder for signing and drafting crap players.but let's not put it all on Zorn, who the #### hires a bum like Lewis, a guy who's been out of football since 2004!! that's how good he was, that no one called him since 2004!!!Snyder has made some bad decisions, Zorn has too, Campbells sucks, and Lewis just.can't.coach.Portis is the ONLY silver lining they have.too bad, he's HOF material, had he played for Denver his entire career, he'd be in the 'best-ever RB' conversation..

Users who are viewing this thread