What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Madden passes away at age 85 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm watching NFL Network & they just announced the news that will sadden football fans all over the world: Hall of Fame Coach John Madden has just died at age 85.  He had a regular season record of 103 victories, 32 defeats & 7 ties.  He had a 75.90 winning percentage.  He had 0 losing seasons.  He went in the Hall of Fame in 2006.  He had a defining impact on the NFL & Pro Football in general.  What will be your favorite memory of John Madden?

NFL institution. He was afraid to fly and took the train to games. He and Summerall were the top crew and usually did the most important games. Had enthusiasm for whatever he did.

NFL institution. He was afraid to fly and took the train to games. He and Summerall were the top crew and usually did the most important games. Had enthusiasm for whatever he did.
For NFC games yes.  Seem to be doing Cowboys games most weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine how we will have the NFL without him. 

If you want to say “this one man is more responsible than anyone else” to explain the popularity of the NFL, he’s right up there with John Facenda.

Married to Virginia since 1959 - anniversary was December 26.

Has lived in Pleasanton, CA since 1967.

Two sons, both h.s. football coaches. Sent them to Brown and Harvard.

The whole point of retiring 12 years ago was to do it when he’s still young enough to go his 5 grandchildren’s games and see his sons coach and just spend more time with the family.

That’s some Hall of Fame family stuff right there, eh.

One of the all-time great announcers, obviously.  On one hand, I feel like the NFL would be better off with more colorful folks in the booth -- our current crop seems like 85% replacement-level guys who can be swapped interchangeably -- but it's so hard to do "colorful" right without lapsing over into "cartoonish."  Madden had a rare gift for nailing this.  

One of the most memorable things I remember John saying was commentary during a Packer game where he made an off-the-cuff comment on the throwing mechanics of Brett Farve. 

He used his marker to draw a straight vertical line from Farve's head to his feet to note how Brett would square his shoulders so he could get accuracy and then showed something so interesting I never forgot.

Madden stopped and slow-moed the video to show that at the moment Farve released his pass every muscle in his body would tighten to the point that you could actually see Brett compress.  Madden noted that every muscle in his core was tight and then showed that when he released the ball by tightening his body that he got EXTRA OOOMPHH on the throw.  Farve's body would tighter so-much at the point of release you could see his head dip.  It seemed Farve's release was unique.

It was not just interesting; it was damned impressive.  I note when a QB does that and very few do.  One young guy who does it?

Baker Mayfield who has been compared to Farve, Mayfield tightens on his release but right now he's nursing a broken shoulder on his non-throwing arm so he has trouble squaring his shoulders and his passes have been off this year.  

Madden was the man.  Madden is football in my mind.  He encompasses every thing that you love about football in one person.  He is the voice of football, and even the video game of football.  Miss his announcing days and all the crazy stuff he used to say.

Madden really did love Brett Favre though.  I remember one game he commented about "Look at how big Brett Favre's hands are".   lol 😆... and that John Madden soundboard that used to be online is priceless

Deeply saddened by Big John's passing.   

He was a fantastic coach, and managed his players with great efficiency.   As a Raider fan of 54 years (I actualy watched the "Heidi Bowl" on NBC),  I know that our franchise was a foundational cornerstone of the AFL AND the NFL becuase of John Madden and Al Davis.   Growing up in the East Coast, to me 4 p.m. Eastern Time was RAIDER TIME.   Nothing better than having a big Steeler -- Raider game with Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis calling the game.   

John revolutionalzed the broadcast game.    Summerall and Madden were titans.   

R.I.P. John.   I hope that they play "The Autumn Wind" at the Memorial.   

I can't remember who it was that said this yesterday, but I saw it on Twitter and it definitely made me stop and think. 
There's an entire generation of football fans (i.e. my father) who remember Madden as a Hall of Fame coach. 
There's a second generation (me) that remember him as a Hall of Fame announcer. 
There's a third generation (our kids) that know him from the video games.  

To think that he so greatly influenced three generations in very different ways is just astounding.   RIP to a true legend. Hope he and Pat get to watch the rest of the games together in the booth, that's how I remember him best. 

If he had just been a HoF coach, that would have been an impressive accomplishment.

If he had just been the guy who set the standard for color commentary, that would have been an impressive accomplishment.

If he had just lent his name to the greatest selling video game of all time, that would have been an impressive accomplishment.

He did all three.

Side note: Last night, I heard the news that Harry Reid had died and mentioned it to my wife. This morning, she asked me, "Why didn't you also mention that John Madden died?" I said, "You're the farthest thing from a sports fan. I didn't think you had any idea who he is." She replied, "Sure, but I knew about Madden NFL. I used to play that all the time."

John Madden:  Oh, the quarterback can't do that.  Do you know what we used say in practice when the quarterback would do that Kirk?

Kirk Gowdy:  Nah, what did you say?

John Madden:  You can't do that in the NFL.

Kirk Gowdy: Why?

John Madden: Cause that's a BULLAH  BULLAH play.

Kirk Gowdy: Bullah, Bullah?

John Madden: Yeah, you can only do that in college.

Kirk:  Bullah, bullah?

John Madden breaking into a 1930s college football fight song:  BULLAH, BULLAH.  BULLAH, BULLAH.  BULLAH, BULLAH. BULLAH, BULLAHHHHH.

Kirk breaks out in uncontrollable laughter...

John Madden:  Oh, the quarterback can't do that.  Do you know what we used say in practice when the quarterback would do that Kirk?

Kirk Gowdy:  Nah, what did you say?

John Madden:  You can't do that in the NFL.

Kirk Gowdy: Why?

John Madden: Cause that's a BULLAH  BULLAH play.

Kirk Gowdy: Bullah, Bullah?

John Madden: Yeah, you can only do that in college.

Kirk:  Bullah, bullah?

John Madden breaking into a 1930s college football fight song:  BULLAH, BULLAH.  BULLAH, BULLAH.  BULLAH, BULLAH. BULLAH, BULLAHHHHH.

Kirk breaks out in uncontrollable laughter...

"Curt" was a good announcer earlier in his career, but not so much later on.  I think Ray Scott and Lindsey Nelson were the best play by play guys, along with Gifford, Enberg, Michaels, and Albert.  I liked Madden the best of the color commentators but hated that he just did CBS (NFC) games mostly.  I also liked Cosell as a color guy.  You either loved him or hated him.  I also thought Merlin Olsen was good.  A couple of guys most of you don't know, I hold in high regard were Al DeRogatis and Charlie Jones.

Edited to throw out some love for the best college basketball announcer of all time Cawood Ledford (radio for Kentucky games) and college football announcer Keith Jackson (first play-by-play announcer on Monday Night Football covering the NFL,).

Got into a "debate" on here how Madden wasn't a smart football mind.  Never forgot that.  I was like he's dumbing those broadcasts down to bring in fringe fans and make it funny.  AND, it worked, just ask the networks or his bankers.  You also don't win a SuperBowl and have that kind of winning record being dumb.  And if you want to talk biz, how's tying his name to some video game worked out?

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd look it up, would love to know who that was.

BOOM!  That cook Everill? stole that and made it into Bam!  And some movie/internet/texts? stole it too, whichever it was.  He shoulda trademarked it; only decision you could argue he didn't nail.  $200 million says it doesn't really matter and I actually like that he didn't go after every last cent.  (No idea if that's what he's worth but that's what a quick search shows.)

Users who are viewing this thread