What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Johnny White (1 Viewer)

junkg

Footballguy
Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom

Rugged power runner with good burst. Think Marshawn Lynch RT @zachkruse2 Tell us more about Johnny White

*Sounds like an interesting WW pickup if Green/Starks fizzle

Not impressed with White from what I've seen of him so far in pre-season and his measurables overall aren't very impressive either. Tashard Choice won a roster spot over this guy, right?

The Bills coaching staff decided to go with Choice over White this preseason. It's worth noting that Gailey coached Choice in college.

White's stats as a Bill are pretty limited: 20/72/3.6 ypc

5th round pick in 2011

Height: 5-10 Weight: 202

Mayock's take:

Pick Analysis: White is an explosive, well-rounded prospect who lacks some size and experience carrying the load. He could develop into a starter in time but will provide outstanding value as a change-of-pace, third-down back and special-teams ace early in his career. Despite lack of reps, he allows plays to develop and decisively hits the hole. He has exceptional acceleration and agility. He runs hard but likely doesn't have the bulk to be a punishing runner in the NFL. He's refined in the passing game and a capable blocker. He's rising up draft boards and could go on Day 2.

As a bills fan I really like white. He is a north south runner who fits ZBS very well and can teak tackles. He is a physical runner who can also catch out the backfield.

Only reason why he isn't on the Bills is because Gailey loves and trust Choice more.

I hate to see another wasted draft pick with upside let go.

An intelligent guy made a thread about him in the past. ;)

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=601315

Don't think White will make an impact barring injury. Packers like to rub RBBC so if he shows worth in practice, he will get a chance to play (not sure about his pass protection).

Green Bay really seems to do well with introducing running backs quickly. Benson, Starks, Grant were all introduced on the fly.

There's no denying the talent, but White only started playing running back his Senior Year of College.

There's a difference between the culture of the Bills and the Packers. If there was a staff I think could groom a Running Back, it's the Packers and the Giants.

So White was brought in after Saine goes on IR. How many times did Saine run the ball? 'Nuff said. Green and Starks are the only RBs in play here. And since GB prefers to throw the ball 75% of the time (like New Orleans), not enough opps here.

'jbz said:
White is not even close to the RB Lynch is.
:goodposting: similar power running style, but he doesn't flash any of the skills or explosion that Lynch has.I'd like to see him get a shot though as he was buried in Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
So White was brought in after Saine goes on IR. How many times did Saine run the ball? 'Nuff said. Green and Starks are the only RBs in play here. And since GB prefers to throw the ball 75% of the time (like New Orleans), not enough opps here.
Starks is garbage, and Green is average at best. The door is wide open for someone grab the reigns of the starting gig in GB. White has a legit shot, imo. Well worth adding in dynasty leagues.

'Casting Couch said:
Starks is garbage, and Green is average at best. The door is wide open for someone grab the reigns of the starting gig in GB. White has a legit shot, imo. Well worth adding in dynasty leagues.
What makes you think Green is average "at best"? And that White is any better?

in a 20 team dynasty league where you keep 25 players... hes sure seems like a pickup to me. (Despiration pick-up) as said before? :banned:

I don't know about average, but he does not look all that good
Green doesn't look like a #1 back imo, and the #1 job is up for grabs. It's a pre-emptive move to grab Johnny White now, and a smart one at that.
Thats what I meant. You would think that a RB who gets 22 carries in that packer offense, should be able to get close to busting off 100 yards. Teams cant stack the box on GB so a RB has plenty of opportunity for 4-5 yds per carry. They just cant find the right back

Green doesn't look like a #1 back imo, and the #1 job is up for grabs. It's a pre-emptive move to grab Johnny White now, and a smart one at that.
Thats what I meant. You would think that a RB who gets 22 carries in that packer offense, should be able to get close to busting off 100 yards. Teams cant stack the box on GB so a RB has plenty of opportunity for 4-5 yds per carry. They just cant find the right back
well said..

well said..
Green was making is first career start, on the road, less than a year removed from ACL surgery. The fact that he even received 22 carriers tells you where he stands in the eyes of this staff. He'll only get better. Johnny White will be lucky to be in Green Bay next season. He's replacing Saine on special teams, and won't get any meaningful carriers unless Green, Starks, and Kuhn all get hurt.

I disagree that Green can't be the #1 back in this offense - yes, he hasn't looked the part so far but let's remember that he is essentially a rookie who had little offseason exposure and wasn't really meant to be the #1 this year.

Physically, he is gifted, albeit perhaps a bit slower in the burst department only 1 year removed from his ACL. He is skilled in the passing game, seems to be sound in pass-block and has a ton of physical upside.

Where I see him lacking is patience in allowing the blocks to develop - he seems to eager to pick a hole and nail it. This can be a gray-area quality in that there are times you just want to grab the handoff and explode but I think he has left yards on the field because of it.....the great thing is, patience can be coached and learned.

I for one am not ready to write him off with only a couple starts under his belt.

in a 20 team dynasty league where you keep 25 players... hes sure seems like a pickup to me. (Despiration pick-up) as said before? :banned:
Amusing. Until he goes off, and you have to break the bank to maybe get a sniff of adding him.I'd rather add him early, it costs next to NOTHING.

I disagree that Green can't be the #1 back in this offense - yes, he hasn't looked the part so far but let's remember that he is essentially a rookie who had little offseason exposure and wasn't really meant to be the #1 this year. Physically, he is gifted, albeit perhaps a bit slower in the burst department only 1 year removed from his ACL. He is skilled in the passing game, seems to be sound in pass-block and has a ton of physical upside.Where I see him lacking is patience in allowing the blocks to develop - he seems to eager to pick a hole and nail it. This can be a gray-area quality in that there are times you just want to grab the handoff and explode but I think he has left yards on the field because of it.....the great thing is, patience can be coached and learned.I for one am not ready to write him off with only a couple starts under his belt.
I saw the exact opposite with him in allowing blocks to develop.He seemed to wait for his blocks to get set up rather than just forging ahead.Anyone writing him off (not you)...is pretty naive and short sighted for doing so in favor of a guy like White who is not likely to see any meaningful carries (if any at all).

'Casting Couch said:
Green - It's Green's job to lose but at his current rate he is well on his way to doing just that. 1 carry for 41 yards 33 carries for 2.7 yards per Starks averaged 4.3 yards per carry last year but never had more than 13 carries in a game - I would not write him off.Johnny White - nuff said

'Casting Couch said:
Green - It's Green's job to lose but at his current rate he is well on his way to doing just that. 1 carry for 41 yards 33 carries for 2.7 yards per Starks averaged 4.3 yards per carry last year but never had more than 13 carries in a game - I would not write him off.Johnny White - nuff said
So, you are going to play..."take out X carry and he averaged x.x per carry"?There is nothing indicating he is on his way to losing the job.Starks can't stay healthy and has not proven durable enough to handle anything more than those 13 carries.IMO Green has more to offer the Packers than Starks and they know it.

I hope I am wrong, cause I would love the Pack to get a RB that can help the WR get some room. I just did not think it looked like Green is that guy. I think he is the only guy they had, and they had to use him. I think if they had been all that confident with him, then they wouldnt have gone out and signed Benson.

Who knows? Its all speculation anyway. He may be the next A. Green in Green Bay

I hope I am wrong, cause I would love the Pack to get a RB that can help the WR get some room. I just did not think it looked like Green is that guy. I think he is the only guy they had, and they had to use him. I think if they had been all that confident with him, then they wouldnt have gone out and signed Benson. Who knows? Its all speculation anyway. He may be the next A. Green in Green Bay
I think he is good enough that he can balance the offense a bit.They got Benson for a few reasons...they simply did not know about Green enough and he was coming off an ACL and Starks could not even get on the practice field.Benson was the durable body they needed. Green fits more of what I think they want to do...single back...lots of shot gun.I don't think he will be all world...but anyone thinking a guy like White will just take over are fooling themselves.

'Casting Couch said:
Green - It's Green's job to lose but at his current rate he is well on his way to doing just that. 1 carry for 41 yards 33 carries for 2.7 yards per Starks averaged 4.3 yards per carry last year but never had more than 13 carries in a game - I would not write him off.

Johnny White - nuff said
So, you are going to play..."take out X carry and he averaged x.x per carry"?There is nothing indicating he is on his way to losing the job.

Starks can't stay healthy and has not proven durable enough to handle anything more than those 13 carries.

IMO Green has more to offer the Packers than Starks and they know it.
Absolutely ... If we were talking 10 or 20 carries then No I wouldn't. But 33 carries and a 2.7 avg. indicates the 41 yard run was an aberration Starks cant stay healthy but ... Green isn't exactly the picture of health. He missed almost his entire rookie season and he is banged up already

Green (shoulder) was a limited participant in practice Wednesday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

A little birdie keeps telling me Starks needs to be rostered in all leagues. He's usually money on RB evaluations. I'm so confused. :shrug:

Green - It's Green's job to lose but at his current rate he is well on his way to doing just that. 1 carry for 41 yards 33 carries for 2.7 yards per Starks averaged 4.3 yards per carry last year but never had more than 13 carries in a game - I would not write him off.

Johnny White - nuff said
So, you are going to play..."take out X carry and he averaged x.x per carry"?There is nothing indicating he is on his way to losing the job.

Starks can't stay healthy and has not proven durable enough to handle anything more than those 13 carries.

Now Can we play ..."take out X carry and he averaged x.x per carry"56 carries and @ 2.4 ypc (at this rate he would need 416 carries to break 1000 yds)

1 for 41

He's already following out of favor in GB

Johnny White - nuff said

Now Can we play ..."take out X carry and he averaged x.x per carry"56 carries and @ 2.4 ypc (at this rate he would need 416 carries to break 1000 yds)

1 for 41

He's already following out of favor in GB
No...taking out carries is still a stupid thing to do.And I don't think the little quote from McCarthy is showing the guy falling out of favor just yet (considering he was still getting fed the ball while Starks did what?)

Users who are viewing this thread